New Uke(s) Day - First Impressions

Ukuleledad

Reaction score
Well I took the plunge and now the Ohana SK-21 and the Kala Pocket have arrived.

Ohana:
Out of the box, it looks great. I went for the 'M' finish and it looks very classy. It really is a mini-Martin! Build quality is OK too, no visable glue or poor fit. The pegs are fine but with the short scale tuning has to be accurate. It sounds a little 'flat' at the moment but I'm sure this will improve when everything starts to settle in. Only complaint is the action at the nut is a little high, when I've got some time at the weekend this will be looked at.

Kala:
All I can say is if you want a pocket Uke - buy one of these! You can tell that thought has gone into the design and care has been taken with construction. The action is spot on, the tuners are accurate and the finish cannot be faulted. It is a mini-masterpiece. I tuned it up to cFAD out of the box and I cannot put the thing down!

All in all I'm pleased with the Ohana and over-the-moon with the Kala

Congrats and thanks for the review!

Sounds great!!! I love my Ohana sk28. Had to get used to the tuners, but it is a sweet little thing.

Now that I've had a little more time with it, I can only say how more and more impressed I've become with the Ohana. It really is a joy to play now that we've got used to each other. What helped the most I think was tuning to Adf#b - this suits me the best.

Now that I've had a little more time with it, I can only say how more and more impressed I've become with the Ohana. It really is a joy to play now that we've got used to each other. What helped the most I think was tuning to Adf#b - this suits me the best.

Glad you are enjoying it. Are you planning on keeping both of them?

Top Bottom