Youtube question for the tech savvy

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Just noticed when I click my older Youtube videos the audio doesn't play. If it click "audio" below the screen, it gives me the choice of "original audio" or "repost the video" which I presume erases all your views. Anybody?

I just checked some videos I uploaded 7 years ago and they still play normally. Can you post a link to your videos?

it gives me the choice of "original audio" or "repost the video"
At a guess, your original videos used an audio codec that isn't compatible with the current version of YouTube, so they can't re-import your old videos in their new format.

Yes, they have changed formats. Time was one could delve into the depths of Internet Explorer's cache and retrieve a complete downloaded video file and retain it locally for future use. There may have been reasons why one shouldn't have done that (loss of advertising revenue, for one), but it was possible. Now the videos are downloaded in segments ... as yet I've not seen a method whereby one can re-assemble these segments into a complete video. This means, of course, that if you wish to view the video more than once, you have to re-connect to YouTube, suffer their interminable advertisments and use up what may be your allocation of "free" bandwidth, ie. it can cost you extra to view a video more than once if you're not on an "unlimited" contract.

Just played your first vid "Spiderman" from 6 years ago. No problem with the sound.

Yes, just let us know which vids have no sound.

Petey

Good to know, maybe Youtube just wants to convert me since it seems to just be on my end (when I'm signed in to my own channel). Anyways thanks everybody for the assistance, information and some views to boot, hope it wasn't too painful.;)

At a guess, your original videos used an audio codec that isn't compatible with the current version of YouTube, so they can't re-import your old videos in their new format.

Yes, they have changed formats. Time was one could delve into the depths of Internet Explorer's cache and retrieve a complete downloaded video file and retain it locally for future use. There may have been reasons why one shouldn't have done that (loss of advertising revenue, for one), but it was possible. Now the videos are downloaded in segments ... as yet I've not seen a method whereby one can re-assemble these segments into a complete video. This means, of course, that if you wish to view the video more than once, you have to re-connect to YouTube, suffer their interminable advertisments and use up what may be your allocation of "free" bandwidth, ie. it can cost you extra to view a video more than once if you're not on an "unlimited" contract.

Every time you restream a video on YouTube it costs them too. YouTube bleeds bandwidth money. ;)

That said it only takes a quick search (on YouTube's corporate owner's site no less) to find any number of tools for downloading their videos for offline use.

Did you check the simple stuff first? On a Windows PC did you check to make sure your volume control in the systray (by the clock) is not muted? Is Windows Media player muted?

Top Bottom