Benny Chong album?

niwenomian

Reaction score
I am trying to track down a Benny Chong album, and I could use some help.

Benny's website lists 'Ukulele Jazz' and a live album. Neither are available there, nor are they available on iTunes.

mele.com lists the album, but it is no longer available there. I did find available albums at Amazon, but the new price is $142!!! and used is $65. I guess they are collectors items.

I haven't heard any of Benny's music, but have had him recommended to me and would like to see what he is all about, but I was hoping to avoid the collectors pricetag.

I did see that there are a few songs of his on iTunes, I'll probably buy those instead of the album if I can't find it reasonably somewhere else.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Call Kamaka as they had it there when I went there in July. The prior time I went, he was there so he played a few songs for us.

Sure enough, they had it. Ordered one right up for $15, it'll be in the mail today.

Thanks so much for the tip, Daniel. Perfect example of what makes UU such a great place.

Nick

PS As always, the person on the phone (Christine?) was exceptionally nice. She tried to upsell me with a ukulele. It almost worked.

Last edited:
Benny Chong is one if the few ukulele players that I can actually listen to for more than a song or two. He is a great musician, and has true jazz chops.

His rendition of "The Nearness of You" on YouTube is a great place to start, if you have not heard him before.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was Don Ho's guitarist for quite some time.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was Don Ho's guitarist for quite some time.

According to his website (link) he was.

He learned the ukulele as a child and then put it away for some 35 years to focus on a professional career as a guitarist with the Alii's, Don Ho's backing band.

I read somewhere else yesterday that Don Ho overheard him playing ukulele before a show and told Benny that he could play anytime he wanted.

Top Bottom