Learn ukulele building?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I have developed an essential tremor in my right hand and leg which is progressive. Having made the decision to retire at 70 or when I have used up my stock of 300 uke sets I am now planning to bring this forward so am offering three unpaid 1 year intern-ships for anyone who wants to perfect their skills and gain insight and essential experience to start a business making ukulele. Each internship will involve making 80 tenor, 10 concert and 10 baritone ukulele in Hawaiian and Californian styles. I only work 3 weeks a month.... You would get one day a week to pursue your own projects.

This is an opportunity for someone looking for a career change who has capital behind them to fund what is in effect a year's worth of intensive building. I'm looking for mature students who can think for themselves, can work under guidance and have skills that need perfecting. Imagine, getting to prep and make 50 ukulele necks - you'd certainly know how to carve at the end of that or hand bending 12 side sets at a time - you'd wonder what all the fuss was about wouldn't you?

If you email me I will send you a full prospectus. The first intern-ship will start in February 2015.

I'm not sure where this should go so moderators shift it if you think this is the wrong place...

Don't be. I am trying to get a life's work done before it's too late. I'm OK with it really and your commission is safe Tobin. I am learning to do fine work like precision superglue application with my left hand. I just think it's time I helped prepare the way for those who want to take my place when I am gone :) I intend to stop 'making' and develop more my teaching and courses - the calendar for 2014 is beginning to fill already with students most from overseas....

Last edited:
What an amazing and generous offer. A tip of my hat to you sir. Someone is in for the experience (and opportunity) of a lifetime.

Pete,

It was not my commission that concerned me, although it is thoughtful of you to reassure me.

You stated that you made the choice to retire at 70 or when you ran out of sets... It just caught me off guard. I think we all hope to eventually retire on our own terms, and it struck me that this is not exactly the case for you. I wish things could be otherwise. At the same time, you have clearly given this much thought, and you now ARE handling it on your own terms. Good for you.

I was also struck by the powerful opportunity for some very lucky builders (to be)... This will change lives, Pete. As always, I wish you the best with this endeavor.

....no longer speechless, it seems.

Last edited:
Wow it is abundantly clear that you love your craft and some people are going to be very fortunate to learn from you. I wish you all the best and hope you find the right people to take advantage of this amazing opportunity!

I was able to play Seeso's ukulele at UWC this year. I wish I were able to take you up on your offer!

Sorry to hear the tremor is getting worse Pete. I hope you'll be able to pass along your skills before you hang up the chisels

Sorry to hear about your tremor, Pete. I have to say that if I could get the time away I'd jump on this opportunity like a shot.

On a second note, I don't know if I took the time to thank you for your instructional videos before you took them down. They were very helpful to me, and I learned a lot that I hope to put into practice later this year.

Thanks for your comments folks. Getting ready for the professional/commercial shoot soon. We will probably test-bed our compatibility and production roles with a full neck carving video....

I'd absolutely love to but I can't get out of school for that long :'(
Argh
Hope someone takes you up on it
Henry

Top Bottom