Does a decal affect the value of an old uke?

FANaddic(t)

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a Martin, but it has a small decal of a pheasant on the front. Now personally, I like the look; it's something different and I find it pleasing to the eye. But was wondering if this decal somehow makes it less valuable? Other than that, it's in excellent condition.

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks so much!

I'm looking at buying a Martin, but it has a small decal of a pheasant on the front. . . wondering if this decal somehow makes it less valuable? Other than that, it's in excellent condition.

If it was an otherwise good deal I'd maybe still go for it, but I'd sure be hoping the decal could be removed without damaging the ukulele.

I just can't understand people that want to add mass, no matter how little, to the part of the ukulele that has to be moved rapidly in order to produce the sound.

You like the look of it, it is part of the uke's history, your main intention is to play it, you can maybe use it to negotiate a price reduction. Provided you are not having to pay too much, it's no big deal.

Ukantor.

The simple answer is that yes, it does affect the uke's value if it can't be removed without damage to the finish. The complex answer is that whether it affects the value up or down depends on the uke and the decal.

Last edited:
If the sticker is removable and hasn't effected the finish, then it shouldn't really be an issue as far as value goes. If the ukes a deal otherwise and you don't mind the sticker. Why the heck not?

My uke has switched through countless decals, and it still sounds great. I personally don't care for the looks, as long as it's efficient.

518090.jpg

in some cases taking off a decal will lower the price, as in this case.
Sir Paul McCartney's vintage Epiphone.

not a huge fan of stickers, but it gives an instrument a personality.

I had a friend who put a decal on her uke. She then tried to take it off and took a layer of the varnish coat off. So just be careful removing the decal. Other than that, if it doesn't damage it, then ur fine.

...I'm looking at buying a Martin, but it has a small decal of a pheasant on the front. Now personally, I like the look; it's something different and I find it pleasing to the eye. But was wondering if this decal somehow makes it less valuable? Other than that, it's in excellent condition.
Any opinions welcome!
Beauty (and worth) is in the eyes of the beholder. Some will be dismayed by the decal, others won't. Ask yourself why you're buying it.

I don't mind putting stickers on some of my less expensive instruments with laminated tops. I don't even notice the difference on any of them. I've got sitckers on my Applause Tenor (not like I'm losing much projected sound on that anyway), and on my Fluke (very loud anyway), and on my Leolani tenor (bought it at Sams Club for $100 with case and tuner.) And if I need to, I should be able to remove those stickers with little problem, since the ones I used have glues that are designed to not damage whatever you put it on.

But I really would not put stickers on anything more expensive, or with real solid woods.

If it sounds and plays good, it shouldn't matter if it's shocking pink and covered with pictures of Saddam Hussein. ;)

Top Bottom