PDA

View Full Version : Whinges About the Web

pabrizzer
10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Rather than clog up someone's season with posts about gripes you have with YouTube or Google or Vimeo or Androids or PCs or Macs or .....
why not post them here?

pabrizzer
10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah.
My Message Bell on YouTube seems to have stopped showing that I have message waiting to read too.
I did get email notification though.
The joys of Google I suppose.

lelouden
10-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Good idea Brian and sorry!

Barbablanca
10-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Good idea, Brian. I have similar worries to Rob about setting up a second account.

My whinge for today? Who is monitoring all our internet traffic and why? Today I got a suggested "link to a friend" on Linkedin. But curiously it was a friend that I had googled a few weeks back, but not taken any further, i.e. I did not contact him. So this suggestion would indicate that Linkedin was being informed as to who I had been searching for on Google! Wheels within wheels! The only common connection between us is NOT listed on my Linkedin profile!

Tootler
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
I seem to have a second You Tube channel by default. My original Tootlingeoff one, I set up before You Tube was taken over by Google so it's my original You Tube channel. When Google started with all this G+ business and with trying to persuade us to use our own names rather than the aliases we all use, it set me up a channel in my own name. So it's there but I never use it so it's just sitting there.

I have been considering a separate channel/account for my trad music stuff - though more for audio only. I have a Sound Cloud account which they recently added an extra hour of uploads to which I use for some of it but I have also considered Bandcamp. Vimeo is another possibility. I'll have to think about it. Vimeo video links not showing on iPad/Android tablets is a nuisance, though. They should show up if you post a simple link, though whether they play or not, I don't know.

Ramart
10-09-2014, 12:51 PM
So this suggestion would indicate that Linkedin was being informed as to who I had been searching for on Google!

Informed for a price, naturally. How do you think Google makes all its money? If you don't want to participate, do your Google searches through the https://startpage.com portal, an anonymizing buffer that does not record your search history or IP address.

GinnyT11
10-09-2014, 01:00 PM
This is a good idea for a thread—there will be many, many contributors.
Should it be in General Discussion rather than Seasons, in order to reach more people?

pabrizzer
10-09-2014, 01:08 PM
This is a good idea for a thread—there will be many, many contributors.
Should it be in General Discussion rather than Seasons, in order to reach more people?

I put it here in the hope that seasonistas would post here rather than in a season (where sometimes the web troubles emerge and thus the comments can sort of take over the season thread).
On several occasions I have seen pages of comments about a web issue that pops up within a season sort of sidetrack that season for a while. Like this week.
If this thread is not used it will just fade into the back pages.

pritch
10-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Informed for a price, naturally. How do you think Google makes all its money? If you don't want to participate, do your Google searches through the https://startpage.com portal, an anonymizing buffer that does not record your search history or IP address.

True. Or you could use DuckDuckGo which is a secure search engine and doesn't track you. Well, not until Google buys it?

bonesigh
10-09-2014, 03:14 PM
I have a technical issue that's been peeving me for some time now. It's that I can't watch videos. It's constant and frustrating. My husband has gone over the computer several times, installed, cleaned whatever. Sometimes it seems to work okay and then bam right back to issues. Currently some videos play but most just go blank grey fuzzy screen and some play with no sound.

I have not been able to comment much lately for I usually try to comment on all videos I have time for. So, sorry my Seasonista friends if you think that I have been ignoring you, I'm not. Love you all (:

elmann
10-10-2014, 11:45 AM
It's that I can't watch videos. It's constant and frustrating... Currently some videos play but most just go blank grey fuzzy screen and some play with no sound.
That's interesting, I had a similar problem some time ago (some seasonistas w/o sound). But I have to think some, maybe long time, how I solved it... I will tell.

Jazzbanjorex
10-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Oh yeah.
My Message Bell on YouTube seems to have stopped showing that I have message waiting to read too.
I did get email notification though.
The joys of Google I suppose.

Noticed the same thing. I have to go to the Community/Comments to see the comments now.

pabrizzer
10-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Wasn't able to watch videos on YT this morning at home on my PC laptop(Chrome) but can on my Mac at work.
Just a pain really. YT clips just a black screen and the spinning dots in the middle.
I have a Mac at home so hopefully can use that for the rest of the season if the problem persists.

ukuloonie
10-16-2014, 07:40 PM
updated your flash? or media
worked for me.

pabrizzer
10-16-2014, 08:58 PM
updated your flash? or media
worked for me.

Says I'm all up to date.
Have installed Firefox and it's working now.
Still wouldn't play in Chrome.

xommen
10-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Says I'm all up to date.
Have installed Firefox and it's working now.
Still wouldn't play in Chrome.

Chrome has it's own Flash engine, so won't use any Adobe supplied plugins, that can also be a positive thing ;).
Is your Chrome up to date?

pabrizzer
10-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Chrome has it's own Flash engine, so won't use any Adobe supplied plugins, that can also be a positive thing ;).
Is your Chrome up to date?

Yes - just checked and it said it was up to date.

"Version 38.0.2125.104 m

Google Chrome is up to date."

Barbablanca
10-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Is anyone else pissed off that Youtube now automatically play a follow up song to the one you've just heard? The amount of times I am getting to the end of a song, typing up my response and suddenly, it jumps to a new song and all my words of wisdom are gone and unrecoverable!

I wouldn't mind so much if they jumped to the next track by the artist/seasonista I was listening to, but they don't, it goes on to some bizarrely linked (by robots) track that is often a world away from anything I want to hear after the song I just heard! Grrrr.... Anyone know how to opt out of that?

KaraUkey
10-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Yep. Hate it. Almost as much as when you're typing away and you look up to see the screen saying "Do you want to update now or later"? and no sign of what you've been typing. That's when these little machines are most at risk of going out the window.

Tootler
10-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Is anyone else pissed off that Youtube now automatically play a follow up song to the one you've just heard? The amount of times I am getting to the end of a song, typing up my response and suddenly, it jumps to a new song and all my words of wisdom are gone and unrecoverable!

I wouldn't mind so much if they jumped to the next track by the artist/seasonista I was listening to, but they don't, it goes on to some bizarrely linked (by robots) track that is often a world away from anything I want to hear after the song I just heard! Grrrr.... Anyone know how to opt out of that?

Not just You Tube. Sound Cloud does the same thing.

I've only really noticed it on You Tube with playlists when you have to remember to disable the "Autoplay" button. Maybe it's a new feature and I have mostly been listening on my iPad App recently and that's annoying for the opposite. You click the link to the playlist, fine but then it's not displayed alongside or below the current video and you have somehow to get back to the playlist to go to the next video on the list and there doesn't seem to be a "Back" button on the tablet Apps.

Tootler
10-18-2014, 01:05 AM
I've noticed for some time I've had this nag from YT when I'm uploading videos.

Your videos will process faster if you encode into a streamable file format. For more information, visit our Help Centre.

I had a look at the Help Centre and the so-called information was about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I find the nag irritating and patronising anyway.

I'd rather have a decent quality original video than worry about processing speed. Most of the upload time is with uploading to You Tube and the time for processing the video is only a small proportion of the total time so I suspect the saving by using a streamable form of the video codec is minimal anyway.

I export my videos from my video editor using the high quality mpeg4 (*.mp4) setting in the editor. It seems to give a good balance between video/audio quality, file size and export time. There's no point for me in using any of the HD settings as my video camera doesn't produce HD videos.

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Not just You Tube. Sound Cloud does the same thing.

I've only really noticed it on You Tube with playlists when you have to remember to disable the "Autoplay" button. Maybe it's a new feature and I have mostly been listening on my iPad App recently and that's annoying for the opposite. You click the link to the playlist, fine but then it's not displayed alongside or below the current video and you have somehow to get back to the playlist to go to the next video on the list and there doesn't seem to be a "Back" button on the tablet Apps.

I never realized you could disable the Autoplay! That is SO helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr. Tootler! That has been making me crazy every Season I've watched.

I did learn to copy my comments-in-process so I wouldn't lose them ... usually ... and/or stop the video just before the end, but having to go back and re-watch was such a PITA ... and then you never see the last few seconds of the video ... which often is a highlight.

Thank you for this fabulous tip. I will be clicking that button a LOT.

Yeah, I can't see the playlist on my iPad either. Or make comments there. For a while I had figured out how to see them in Safari instead of the YouTube app, and that was way more functional, though not completely. That's one of my pet whinges ... that mobile sites and appified versions of things are often so much less functional than the full site in a browser ... and how hard it is to get to the full site on a mobile device.

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Anybody figured out those blasted YouTube thumbnails? Sometimes YouTube will show me in some places (like "My Videos" and the video-edit page) that I've changed the thumbnail, but the old one will still show up when I post, on the forum and/or Facebook (sometimes just one or the other, sometimes both). It's happening with this video I made last night:

http://youtu.be/8tkQpW0phhg

I picked a much happier thumbnail, and I see it on YouTube, but not here or FB.

Also, I notice if you edit the name or description of a video, the old description is the one that shows up on FB posts for all time. So choose your words wisely the first time ... and check carefully for typos.

wee_ginga_yin
10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
I picked a much happier thumbnail, and I see it on YouTube, but not here or FB.
Also, I notice if you edit the name or description of a video, the old description is the one that shows up on FB posts for all time. So choose your words wisely the first time ... and check carefully for typos.

It is usually a question of clearing your cache (Shift F5).
Youtube usually picks the middle thumbnail and if you
look at the video that is the one that goes into the cache,
if you change to another thumbnail, your old thumbnail
will still show up until you clear the cache. You can also do
a (Shift RELOAD) and that should work.

Tootler
10-18-2014, 09:00 AM
I never realized you could disable the Autoplay! That is SO helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr. Tootler! That has been making me crazy every Season I've watched.

I did learn to copy my comments-in-process so I wouldn't lose them ... usually ... and/or stop the video just before the end, but having to go back and re-watch was such a PITA ... and then you never see the last few seconds of the video ... which often is a highlight.

Thank you for this fabulous tip. I will be clicking that button a LOT.

AKA Geoff! Mr Tootler sounds too formal and I somehow suspect you are not an over formal sort of person, Wendy.

Yeah, I can't see the playlist on my iPad either. Or make comments there. For a while I had figured out how to see them in Safari instead of the YouTube app, and that was way more functional, though not completely. That's one of my pet whinges ... that mobile sites and appified versions of things are often so much less functional than the full site in a browser ... and how hard it is to get to the full site on a mobile device.

Intensely annoying. I like to listen to/watch the videos downstairs on my iPad so I'm not being too anti social with my family but the lack of adequate functionality on the tablets (Android's as bad) is irritating. Even if you go to Safari, it has an annoying habit of taking you to the App.

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 10:24 AM
It is usually a question of clearing your cache (Shift F5).
Youtube usually picks the middle thumbnail and if you
look at the video that is the one that goes into the cache,
if you change to another thumbnail, your old thumbnail
will still show up until you clear the cache. You can also do
a (Shift RELOAD) and that should work.

I've had the cache issue ... where it shows up one way on one browser but a different way everywhere else.

This is not that issue. It's showing up with the serious-faced thumbnail on FB and the forum, on all my devices and multiple browsers. I'd bet money you're seeing it too.

If you are seeing a bright beaming smiley face on my thumbnail, please tell me, but I'd bet you are seeing the scowly-faced one, same as me.

This doesn't happen often, but this particular video simply refuses to display the thumbnail YT is showing me I selected anywhere I post the video.

And yes, Mr. Tootler, you got my number ... not the world's most formal person, for sure. :)

But I do love calling people by formal names, Mr. Geoff. In a tongue-in-cheek sorta way.

Totally with you on the frustration of inadequate tablet functionality, for exactly the same reason. I've been watching some of this Season's vids, but I haven't been commenting, because I can't from the Pad. And I want to!

I did once figure out how to get it to stay in Safari and *not* go to the app, but I seem to have lost it. Grrrrr.......

It also crashes a lot, but so long as I can get back to it, that's a more minor annoyance.

elmann
10-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I This doesn't happen often, but this particular video simply refuses to display the thumbnail YT is showing me I selected anywhere I post the video.
Yea, made the same experience with some vids. YT mostly, but not always, takes the preview pic one choosed.

Tootler
10-18-2014, 11:53 AM

And yes, Mr. Tootler, you got my number ... not the world's most formal person, for sure. :)

But I do love calling people by formal names, Mr. Geoff. In a tongue-in-cheek sorta way.

Totally with you on the frustration of inadequate tablet functionality, for exactly the same reason. I've been watching some of this Season's vids, but I haven't been commenting, because I can't from the Pad. And I want to!

I did once figure out how to get it to stay in Safari and *not* go to the app, but I seem to have lost it. Grrrrr.......

It also crashes a lot, but so long as I can get back to it, that's a more minor annoyance.

You should be able to comment from the App. Scroll down to below the suggested videos and there should be a comment box. Tap on the little arrow on the right, then in the text box. I can usually comment from my iPad. I'm just not keen on touch screen keyboards.

UkeCan1 2.0
10-18-2014, 12:30 PM
You should be able to comment from the App. Scroll down to below the suggested videos and there should be a comment box. Tap on the little arrow on the right, then in the text box. I can usually comment from my iPad. I'm just not keen on touch screen keyboards.

"Should" being the operative word. I have the comment feature. I can type a comment into the box. But when I click "Send" I get an error message. Also, replies to comments don't show up at all, and there's no box to reply to a comment. iPad 1. Can't run the latest OS. So can't do some things yours can do. Great for what it's great for, limited from doing other things I'd hoped it would do.

Tootler
10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
"Should" being the operative word. I have the comment feature. I can type a comment into the box. But when I click "Send" I get an error message. Also, replies to comments don't show up at all, and there's no box to reply to a comment. iPad 1. Can't run the latest OS. So can't do some things yours can do. Great for what it's great for, limited from doing other things I'd hoped it would do.

That's a bit of a bummer.

The latest OS is not all it's cracked up to be. It was very buggy, though I was lucky & didn't have major problems but some functionality disappeared from some of my apps. An update appeared soon after but I still can't import to ForScore from Dropbox. I have to export from Dropbox one file at a time where I used to be able to import multiple files. Very annoying.

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 01:11 PM
That's a bit of a bummer.

The latest OS is not all it's cracked up to be. It was very buggy, though I was lucky & didn't have major problems but some functionality disappeared from some of my apps. An update appeared soon after but I still can't import to ForScore from Dropbox. I have to export from Dropbox one file at a time where I used to be able to import multiple files. Very annoying.

One thing I am extremely grateful for is that unrealBook works brilliantly on the iPad 1. An awful lot of apps are simply not available for the OS it runs. It downloads all my charts in one go per folder. 100,000 times superior to the Dropbox app.

It's the main thing I bought the Pad for, so I put up with the rest for now.

librainian
10-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Are you sure you can't comment from the iPad. I can from mine. In the Youtube app you just press and hold on the comments until you get the menu of options (reply, report, edit, delete etc)

I'm not sure this works from Safari though, I'll have to check again...

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Are you sure you can't comment from the iPad. I can from mine. In the Youtube app you just press and hold on the comments until you get the menu of options (reply, report, edit, delete etc)

I'm not sure this works from Safari though, I'll have to check again...

I just tried pressing and holding on everything I could see to press on. Nada.

I have an "Add Comment" box. I can type in it. When I click "Send", I get a popup that says "YouTube Not Available". Even though I am clearly logged into it ("My Videos" shows my videos, for example).

I suspect the latest version of YouTube commenting is not compatible with my ancient version of the app. And my ancient iPad cannot run anything newer.

I do think I was able to comment in Safari though ... I have to go figure out how I did that, back when I did. And I could see playlists properly there too, I seem to recall.

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Okay, I found my way to keep YouTube in Safari ... turns out I'd bookmarked it months ago when I discovered it. Clever of me. :)
It's way more functional than the app. I can comment, and it displays the replies to comments, though not the Reply box.
But then I tried your brilliant suggestion, Andrew ... I would never have thought of it ... and sure nuff, holding down the comment brought up the Reply box!
I haven't been able to figure out how to tag people, but most of what I do seemed to work.
So yay! Thanks for the help!!!!!

UkeCan1
10-19-2014, 12:08 AM
YooToob is still f---ing with my thumbnails. My last couple of videos, it is displaying a thumbnail that is not only NOT the one I selected, it's actually none of the three it presented me to select!

For this particular one, it's a lovely thumbnail ... I'm very pleased with it ... for the previous one, not so much.

WTH, YouTube?!

Anyone else experiencing this ... or is it just out to get ME?

http://youtu.be/2QR6GtQhb6s

[If you are seeing my head tilted to your right, then you are seeing the same random pic I'm seeing. In the one I selected, my head is tilted to your left.

In the YouTube editing window and in "My Videos", I see the correct thumbnail selected, but when I post it anywhere, I get this other one.]

UkeCan1
10-31-2014, 05:43 AM
Here's an anti-whinge ... a bit of fun for today.
If you haven't clicked on your YouTube bell yet today, DO IT! Fun.

Happy Halloween, Seasons friends!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
10-31-2014, 05:49 AM
Here's an anti-whinge ... a bit of fun for today.
If you haven't clicked on your YouTube bell yet today, DO IT! Fun.

Happy Halloween, Seasons friends!
:mad: oh pook, i came here to say that, but you beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it is the first time in ages youtube has done something GOOD that has AMUSED me

i might put it in my diary

UkeCan1
10-31-2014, 08:33 AM
:mad: oh pook, i came here to say that, but you beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think it is the first time in ages youtube has done something GOOD that has AMUSED me

i might put it in my diary

No pook needed. We can say it in harmony!

That was my thought too ... something from YouTube to put a smile on our faces instead of a frowny face.

wee_ginga_yin
11-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Can't get on to youtube or google… has the world come to an end?
I get an error message "not connected to internet" but I am since
I am writing this. Strange

UkeCan1
11-26-2014, 06:14 AM
Mine's working fine, Rob - but then, we are on different continents ... so, clearly, YMMV.

I hope you get back online quickly. I have noticed that when this happens to me - some web sites work and others don't, it is usually a DNS problem. Most of the time, simply powering my modem on and off will fix it. If not, powering everything (modem, router, computers) on and off is the next thing to try ... and if that fails, call your internet provider.

Good luck, Rob!

UkeCan1
11-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Might be just in the US, but check out the YouTube bell today!

Joko
11-27-2014, 04:17 AM
Yeah, it must just be the USA. Just a bell here in Burma.

UkeCan1
11-27-2014, 04:37 AM
Let's see if this works:
https://ssl.gstatic.com/s2/oz/images/notifications/jingles_eb4e5306b38f83915d82034fa93390d9-2/US/desktop_static_2x.png

Tootler
11-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Just plain bell in the UK

Tootler
12-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Google at it again.

WGY posted on my Scary Dolly's Coming to Town video in his old Gardner Guy guise. Google flagged it as possibly spam (Goodness knows why) so I clicked on "approve" then the "Stop Reviewing" button and his post then disappeared into the ether. Obviously Googles Gurus didn't think I should see it.

Must be something I said.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ohmless
12-24-2014, 01:45 PM
had that happen to me the other day also tootler

UkeCan1
12-25-2014, 01:40 AM
Check out the YouTube bell today!

UkeCan1
12-25-2014, 02:30 AM
In case anyone can't see it ... or is looking after today:
https://ssl.gstatic.com/s2/oz/images/notifications/jingles_f9a35e0beef3af4b5d3c05e38f3f358d/desktop_static_2x.png
Thanks, Coolkayaker! Did you see the new one (http://youtu.be/_mXMqCzHpDg)? Merry Christmas, Happy Everything (http://youtu.be/E5zrRea5tnk)!

UkeCan1
02-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Today's US YouTube bell:

Happy Super Bowl Day, fellow Seasonistas!
May your team bring home the glory.
(Unless it isn't my team.)

UkeCan1
02-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Be sure to click on the little football itself (in your bell, it wont work here, so, sorry if you're outside the US and don't have it) ... it does a little dance.

dickadcock
02-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Be sure to click on the little football itself (in your bell, it wont work here, so, sorry if you're outside the US and don't have it) ... it does a little dance.
Interestingly, it works in one acct. (the original, Charles) but not the one I added to post uke videos with the same name as used here.

Debby
02-04-2015, 02:13 AM
I hate my laptop. The cam sucks on it. And the rest of it runs so bad.

Tootler
02-10-2015, 01:25 AM
I've recently had a couple of spam messages on my older You Tube videos. Seems to be some sort of Religious crap.

Anyone else experiencing this?

wee_ginga_yin
02-10-2015, 01:36 AM
I've recently had a couple of spam messages on my older You Tube videos. Seems to be some sort of Religious crap.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I am getting quite a lot of offers to become partners with organisations other than youtube
for them to promote my channel and increase you earnings, but I have a gardening friend
who regrets having ever done a deal with some outside organisation for apparently
they make more money off you than they ever pay you. So I just delete them.

Tootler
02-10-2015, 02:05 AM
I am getting quite a lot of offers to become partners with organisations other than youtube
for them to promote my channel and increase you earnings, but I have a gardening friend
who regrets having ever done a deal with some outside organisation for apparently
they make more money off you than they ever pay you. So I just delete them.

In my case it was comments on two of the videos with some sort of message and a link - which I have not followed, btw.

redpaul1
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Two days ago, I finally took the plunge and upgraded from Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks to Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite.

It took approx 24 hours to complete the upgrade. For maybe 20 of those hours, the blue progress thermometer was stuck at 98%, accompanied by a message saying "2 minutes remaining."

Turns out that if you have anything installed in /usr/local the upgrade takes forEVER to move it into its new location. The "2 minutes remaining" message is simply ridiculously optimistic.

There are apparently ways to avoid this delay, but I'm just here not to whinge, but give you the heads-up that, if you have a Mac and are thinking of upgrading to OS10.10 Yosemite, it can take a very long time and appear that it's stuck. It's not (stuck). It's just taking a very long time.

Typing in ⌘-L (cmd+l) will bring up the installer logs. Watching them is like watching paint dry, but at least they're evidence that the upgrade is proceeding albeit at the speed of a geriatric snail.

UkeCan1
02-19-2015, 06:26 AM

Happy New Year!

(Oh, yeah ... that reminds me....)

lelouden
02-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Two days ago, I finally took the plunge and upgraded from Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks to Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite.

It took approx 24 hours to complete the upgrade. For maybe 20 of those hours, the blue progress thermometer was stuck at 98%, accompanied by a message saying "2 minutes remaining."

Turns out that if you have anything installed in /usr/local the upgrade takes forEVER to move it into its new location. The "2 minutes remaining" message is simply ridiculously optimistic.

There are apparently ways to avoid this delay, but I'm just here not to whinge, but give you the heads-up that, if you have a Mac and are thinking of upgrading to OS10.10 Yosemite, it can take a very long time and appear that it's stuck. It's not (stuck). It's just taking a very long time.

Typing in ⌘-L (cmd+l) will bring up the installer logs. Watching them is like watching paint dry, but at least they're evidence that the upgrade is proceeding albeit at the speed of a geriatric snail.

But the question is.....was it worth upgrading? What do you like about it. What don't you like about it?

02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
I hate my laptop. The cam sucks on it. And the rest of it runs so bad.
the audio from the built-in mic on mine is atrocious. even with a decent mic plugged in, the video footage and audio are a bit glitchy. i continue to mostly use a little voice recorder (dictation machine) to give me halfway decent audio which i then add to the glitchy video footage.

:mad:

Tootler
02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
the audio from the built-in mic on mine is atrocious. even with a decent mic plugged in, the video footage and audio are a bit glitchy. i continue to mostly use a little voice recorder (dictation machine) to give me halfway decent audio which i then add to the glitchy video footage.

I've not even bothered initialising mine. The built in cameras are usually of very low resolution and struggle to keep up with your movement. OK for Skype and such but not much else. Much better to buy a video camera - and it need not be very expensive. Camera buffs tend to be sniffy about the built in mics but they are actually not too bad certainly well good enough for Seasons Videos if you want to keep things simple. Modern video cameras mostly use memory cards so you can pop the card out and into a card reader - many laptops have one built in - for editing. The editors supplied with your choice of OS (Windows or Mac) will do fine for simple "tidying up" edits - basically trimming the beginning and end to remove pictures of your hand operating the camera type images - and more if you wish.

I've used the built in camera and mic of an iPad and that's worked fine - way better than most built in laptop cameras.

wee_ginga_yin
02-20-2015, 12:07 AM
But the question is.....was it worth upgrading? What do you like about it. What don't you like about it?

I upgraded to Yosemite and the operating system now has a flat matt look as to the translucent 3D look
for most icons. Since upgrading I have had problems with the Wifi it keeps dropping. It is a known problems
and even the recent upgrade has not fixed it.

I have to do a ALT click on the Wifi symbol to enable Wifi logging So I can see from the Wifi icon in the Dock
if the network has disengaged or not. It is a hassle. I skipped Maverick because I thought it had problems.
Now I wish I had stayed with LION/OS

redpaul1
02-20-2015, 12:23 AM

I upgraded to Yosemite and the operating system now has a flat matt look as to the translucent 3D look
for most icons. Since upgrading I have had problems with the Wifi it keeps dropping. It is a known problems
and even the recent upgrade has not fixed it.

I have to do a ALT click on the Wifi symbol to enable Wifi logging So I can see from the Wifi icon in the Dock
if the network has disengaged or not. It is a hassle. I skipped Maverick because I thought it had problems.
Now I wish I had stayed with LION/OS

First - I did a clean install of Mavericks (10.9), and it worked brilliantly - both the install and the OS. Turned out that a lot of what had been slowing my computer down were left-overs from previous upgrades (I've had this computer since 2008!!). The OS burbled along at just 5% of CPU, whereas previously, even with nothing running, it was usually churning away at 80-90%.

I should say that I also swapped in a new hard-drive. I put my old hard-drive in an external case and hooked it up. The install then treated it (the old drive) as another computer, so not only did it do the clean install, it then imported all my files, apps, settings etc from the old-hard drive.

Second - The Yosemite (10.10) upgrade (not clean install) has also left me with very smoothly running machine, and it seems to have freed up some more space on my hard-drive.

Third - cons:

I normally have it hooked up to the internet via an ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi, so can't comment on the issue Rob reports.

Aperture 2 is the only app that's broken as a result of the upgrade, but I can still access the Aperture photo library through iPhoto, and Apple are ending development of Aperture anyway (apparently).

For me the real problem with broken apps came in the upgrade from Snow Leopard (10.6) to Mountain Lion (10.8 - I skipped 10.7 Lion). For that reason, I have my hard-drive partitioned with Snow Leopard installed on the other partition. That too was a clean install, and that too meant a real improvement in the efficiency and stability of the 10.6 OS.

HTH.

we tigers
02-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Yosemite upgrade screwed up my iPhoto and iMovie. I had to buy a new version of imovie that's actually worse than its predecessor. I feel Apple upgrades are dumbing downs. I went the Mac route years ago to avoid bs like this. Missing Mavericks already.

Let's see if I can find my way through the new software these coming weeks...

Tootler
02-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Yosemite upgrade screwed up my iPhoto and iMovie. I had to buy a new version of imovie that's actually worse than its predecessor. I feel Apple upgrades are dumbing downs. I went the Mac route years ago to avoid bs like this. Missing Mavericks already.

I went to Linux about 10 years ago for the same reason. I felt MS were dumbing down and insisting on doing things their way not mine. One thing about Linux is that there are a variety of implementations and if you don't like one, you can change to another but keep the same software and still do things in the same way. I started on Ubuntu but they made changes I didn't like so I changed to Linux Mint which is what I use now. Linux does not tell you how to do things and you do need to be a little bit computer savvy to get the best out of it but there are very good help forums available.

When I started video editors were few and clunky or had very steep learning curves but things have improved vastly and there are some quite nice easy to use video editors now. Audio is still something of a dogs dinner but there are some very good tools when you get it working. I've opted for doing audio externally using multi track recorders. I can edit and mix with the recorder and I then export to the computer and use Audacity for some finishing off then export the final file and combine the audio and video in the video editor.

I've no regrets about changing to Linux and would recommend it to frustrated Mac/Windows users. It's different and there is a learning curve but it works well. Upgrading with Linux Mint is a matter of backing up data and settings then doing a clean install. A bit of a nuisance but it doesn't take that long and it does mean that accumulated rubbish gets cleaned out.

wee_ginga_yin
02-20-2015, 01:34 AM

Let's see if I can find my way through the new software these coming weeks...

All is not lost... the OS kindly put iMovie 9 in a separate folder and doe not delete it when it installs iMovie 10
Perhaps they knew folks would prefer 9 over 10 :-)

02-20-2015, 01:37 AM
I've not even bothered initialising mine. The built in cameras are usually of very low resolution and struggle to keep up with your movement. OK for Skype and such but not much else. Much better to buy a video camera - and it need not be very expensive. Camera buffs tend to be sniffy about the built in mics but they are actually not too bad certainly well good enough for Seasons Videos if you want to keep things simple. Modern video cameras mostly use memory cards so you can pop the card out and into a card reader - many laptops have one built in - for editing. The editors supplied with your choice of OS (Windows or Mac) will do fine for simple "tidying up" edits - basically trimming the beginning and end to remove pictures of your hand operating the camera type images - and more if you wish.

I've used the built in camera and mic of an iPad and that's worked fine - way better than most built in laptop cameras.
thanks so much tootler. i'm gonna bookmark your post so i can come back to it for reference - sooner or later i'm gonna have to upgrade my recording kit, to reduce the hassle factor and maybe even capture the old upstrum properly!

UkeCan1
02-20-2015, 02:07 AM
thanks so much tootler. i'm gonna bookmark your post so i can come back to it for reference - sooner or later i'm gonna have to upgrade my recording kit, to reduce the hassle factor and maybe even capture the old upstrum properly!

Maybe an upgraded setup will even capture your face?!

bubbly193
02-20-2015, 07:56 AM
I have Ubuntu 8.04 on my thumb drive. The only reason I keep Windows is because Adobe CS doesn't work all that well with wine yet and I'm still getting the hang of the Gimp and Cinelerra.

02-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Maybe an upgraded setup will even capture your face?!
it is never

gonna happen

03-16-2015, 06:25 PM
is it just me, or is the youtube google bell refusing to offer up its treasures today???

wee_ginga_yin
03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
is it just me, or is the youtube google bell refusing to offer up its treasures today???

Yep... keeps telling me to try again.

Story of my life really.

UkeCan1
03-16-2015, 06:36 PM

It's everyone. The bell on G+ works though. Might be another nefarious Google plot to get us to go there.

03-16-2015, 06:41 PM
WGY lol!

and wendy thanks, and yes i would not put it past google to do this on purpose to make us go to google plus, or google +, or google+, or google-FFS-gimme-a-break, however you say/type it

OH GOOGLE-FFS-GIMME-A-BREAK, IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!!!!!!

seriously guys thank you for taking the time to post and let me know i'm not alone

UkeCan1
03-16-2015, 07:15 PM
WGY lol!

and wendy thanks, and yes i would not put it past google to do this on purpose to make us go to google plus, or google +, or google+, or google-FFS-gimme-a-break, however you say/type it

OH GOOGLE-FFS-GIMME-A-BREAK, IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!!!!!!

seriously guys thank you for taking the time to post and let me know i'm not alone

No worries, Lynda - I was only a few minutes ahead of you. I tried logging out and back in and that didn't help, so I googled the infernal error phrase (at least Google's good for something!) ... and that turned up a page of people all having the same problem, over the previous hour ... and one said G+ was working and someone else confirmed it, so I tried it, and ... voila! (Or viola. Or ukulele.)

I would never have thought of that on my own, but hey ... thank goodness for Google in the fight against ... um ... Google......

+1 for G+ tonight. Thumb down for YouTube.

03-16-2015, 07:21 PM
lol! well yes, i cannot tell a lie, i love google the SEARCH ENGINE!

UkeCan1
03-16-2015, 07:31 PM
lol! well yes, i cannot tell a lie, i love google the SEARCH ENGINE!

I just recently joined the 21st century and started using Google calendars (via appropriate apps on my iPhone and iPad) ... and those are actually rather awesome too.

Personally (don't tell anyone), I think YouTube is really quite an amazing thing. Completely free video, as much as you want to add or consume, with quick easy social interaction, and notifications when someone responds. Really, we could not do anything like what we do here without it. So, if the big G likes to change stuff and break stuff every so often, I will deal ... I am really incredibly grateful for this phenomenal resource they have provided for us.

I mean, when I get to say to people I meet, oh yeah, well, I've been playing this little thing for a year and half, and I have, oh 180 videos on YouTube and 100+ subscribers and 25,000 views ... I mean, doesn't everybody? ... oh sure, let me give you my channel.....

Really, that is still quite amazing to me every time it happens. Which it does kind of all the time these days. There was no way to do this in my youth ... you know, 3 or 4 years ago.....

So yeah, Google. They are a big evil genius, but they do some good stuff every now and again.

03-16-2015, 08:20 PM
oh my gosh the excitement! the google+ bell is working again!

and yes i do remember, the age of steam and all that, when really the only sensible way to communicate with someone the other side of the planet was to W R I T E a L E T T E R

and yes basically youtube is pretty wonderful but really google STOP WITH THE +, ok? :mad: it messes with my mojo :cool:

wee_ginga_yin
03-16-2015, 08:23 PM
I mean, when I get to say to people I meet, oh yeah, well, I've been playing this little thing for a year and half, and I have, oh 180 videos on YouTube and 100+ subscribers and 25,000 views ... I mean, doesn't everybody? ... oh sure, let me give you my channel.....

When you think about it. The making of film or music was exclusively the domain
of big companies. who had the equipment and the financial resources to produce
videos or record music. But now with the advent of smart phones with good cameras
almost anyone who has the will and desire can record and film themselves.

It used to be that you had to be "discovered" before you got a record deal or
a movie contract, and it was all at the discretion of somebody else. Even centuries
ago there was a reliance on patronage for advancement in any of the arts.

But nowadays you can do it all yourself, and Google acts as the patron in that they
provide a platform for your artistic endeavours. You can express yourself and belong to
a community be it playing the ukulele or gardening. It is just a way of connecting
that used to be only available to a select few but can now be done by anybody.

bonesigh
04-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Winge! Winge! Wingey winge! I just can't seem to deal with technology in general. It's like all devices blow up when I'm around. I can be having trouble and ask the hubby (or kid) for help..watch him do exactly what I just did..and it works for him, but not me! Anyway my latest frustration is I got a ios, my first. Got Garageband and have been having fun with it. Today I completed my first song, which happens to be a cover for this weeks theme (: But...I can't get it loaded....onto ANYTHING! Not YT or icloud or FB or even get it into my itunes. I have researched and studied and attempted to no avail ): It's so weird, especially with YT, I logged off (at the PC) and then on to YT on the PC to make sure I COULD long on and that my password is correct and all. All's well. But when I try to long on via the iphone, no deal, it say's my password or something is incorrect. OMG.

Any advice? Alright, sure, go ahead, I know you've got to make some snide comments, LOL!

lelouden
04-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Janet when you say iOS are you talking about a computer or an iPad or an iPhone? I have yet to try uploading from the iPhone or iPad. From my iPhone i can't find comments at all so I just haven't become its friend.

redpaul1
04-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Winge! Winge! Wingey winge! I just can't seem to deal with technology in general. It's like all devices blow up when I'm around. I can be having trouble and ask the hubby (or kid) for help..watch him do exactly what I just did..and it works for him, but not me! Anyway my latest frustration is I got a ios, my first. Got Garageband and have been having fun with it. Today I completed my first song, which happens to be a cover for this weeks theme (: But...I can't get it loaded....onto ANYTHING! Not YT or icloud or FB or even get it into my itunes. I have researched and studied and attempted to no avail ): It's so weird, especially with YT, I logged off (at the PC) and then on to YT on the PC to make sure I COULD long on and that my password is correct and all. All's well. But when I try to long on via the iphone, no deal, it say's my password or something is incorrect. OMG.

Any advice? Alright, sure, go ahead, I know you've got to make some snide comments, LOL!

Janet when you say iOS are you talking about a computer or an iPad or an iPhone? I have yet to try uploading from the iPhone or iPad. From my iPhone i can't find comments at all so I just haven't become its friend.

I'm pretty sure Janet must mean an iPhone or iPad. Mac computers use a different O/S, X, in fact. They're designed so that all the apps and how you interact with them look the same both in iOS and OSX environments, but OS X doesn't support touch screens (and isn't likely to soon, either Touch-screen Mac unlikely says Apple's Federghi (http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/touch-screen-mac-unlikely-says-apples-federighi/.))

And I think I know what the problem is. It's our old friend, Google. Remember before they snapped up YT, you logged on to YT with a YT-specific username & password? And now you have to log on to YT using your G+ a/c? The Apple YT API (Application Programming Interface - interface being the operative word here) was set up to use your dedicated YT username & password. That's now all broken; and now YT belongs to their (Apple's) competitor, they've no interest in fixing it.

Use 'Share/Export' to create a .m4a audio file that you can save somewhere on your device (iPad or iPhone). Add that to your QT video, save and upload to YT via web browser in the usual way.

In other words, once your video is ready, open up Safari (if that's what you're using), and log into your YT via your google a/c exactly as you would on your PC. Ignore any YT apps or menu choices in any apps offering to 'Export to YT'. Then navigate to 'upload file' and do it that way.

HTH.

bonesigh
04-17-2015, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the help! Yes, an iphone, Linda. Okay, I've got the song as a .m4a (not sue how I did it) I must have done something right last night (: But now I don't know what to do to get if off the phone. What do you mean by (add the .m4a to the "QT") what's a 'QT'? Plus, I navigated away from the .m4a file that just happened to be on my phone in the a.m. and now I can't find it again!

BTW, I did again (just to check) I logged OUT of YT on the PC. Then logged back on using the usual that I long in with. No problem. But when I try to log in via the phone it says that the username or password is wrong. This makes no sense!

Barbablanca
04-17-2015, 07:14 AM
I wanted to set up a Youtube account for my band. In the old days that would have been easy, but now you have to join Google+ which requires you to have a gmail account. Luckily our band has one. However, I got stuck in a bit of a loop as I tried to find out how to open a Youtube account once I had set up the G+ account (including hurdles like "That doesn't sound like a person's name, if it's a business go here... PRESS CONTINUE, etc.)" Eventually, I had G+ set up and tried to log in to youtube using our log in info. No dice. Back to G+. Found an upload video link and thought. "Ah, the problem is if you haven't got a video uploaded they won't let you!" False logic. After nearly two hours loaded the video only to find it had loaded to Google + !!! WTF? They own youtube for crying out loud! And this despite their boast on the webpage I was on "Google + One account for everything!"

Eventually found a way to set up a youtube account and having set it up I then looked for the video. Of course if wasn't there. So, you'd imagine there's a way to transfer G+ Videos to Youtube, wouldn't you? Well, if there is, it ain't obvious!!!

So I turned to Windows Live Movie Maker (which I use to do most of my videos and upload them via their app inside the programme). I enter the youtube detail and am told "No such account or wrong password!"

So I go to youtube log in as the Band and go to "My Videos". Click on upload. It takes another two hours to load the same video I had already uploaded to G+!!!

So, thinking, now I have a video uploaded, I can surely upload that second one directly from WLMM . Nope, same message!!!

So I had to upload using youtube uploader which is about three times slower than going directly via WLMM.

Now when I comment I have to remember to keep clicking on one account or the other to ensure I am not posting as the band when I meant to post as me or vice versa. It doesn't seem to like you being logged on under two "aliases" - Big brother would not be happy with that, I am sure!

I have to keep reminding myself of Wendy's post above about how great that this is all free to keep a cool head. In my experience, paying for such services has always resulted in more hassles, not less. So it goes.....

bonesigh
04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
I feel for ya Berni! I need a tearing out hair emoticon!

Teek
04-17-2015, 06:20 PM
I like this one, I felt like this yesterday.

redpaul1
04-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the help! Yes, an iphone, Linda. Okay, I've got the song as a .m4a (not sue how I did it) I must have done something right last night (: But now I don't know what to do to get if off the phone. What do you mean by (add the .m4a to the "QT") what's a 'QT'? Plus, I navigated away from the .m4a file that just happened to be on my phone in the a.m. and now I can't find it again!

BTW, I did again (just to check) I logged OUT of YT on the PC. Then logged back on using the usual that I long in with. No problem. But when I try to log in via the phone it says that the username or password is wrong. This makes no sense!

QT? Sorry! QuickTime, Apple's proprietary .mov video format (I just assumed that's what your iPhone would have used to record your video. Seems I just made an ass out of u and me instead :) ). You can export the audio from a QT video as a .m4a file. Equally you can import .m4a audio into a QT movie.* You just have to make sure that the audio and video are the same length. I wouldn't try doing that on the iphone though! Wait till you're back in familiar territory in front of a keyboard!

Can you connect your iPhone to your PC via the USB cable, or in any other way so that the iPhone appears like just another hard drive in your Windows Explorer? If so, you can search for the file via your PC's search function. Once you've found it, you can drag it over to your PC like any other file.

You probably have a search function on your iPhone too, but in my experience with smartphones, the search function is usually hidden away somewhere obscure in some file management software somewhere. Oh! the irony :/

So if you can't hook up your iPhone to your PC and find your file that that way, probably the easiest thing to do is to try creating another .m4a audio file. Chances are wherever the iPhone wants to save this new one is where your old one is also to be found.

Once you have found it, if you can't transfer it directly by dragging and dropping, you could upload it from your iPhone into your Dropbox, but it's probably easier to attach it in an email to yourself and open the email on your PC.

When you say you're logging into YT on your iPhone, are you trying to use the iPhone YT app? If you are, then don't. It won't work. The API is broken. Log in via the browser on your phone exactly as you would on your PC.

*I do this all the time: Record a video in QT; export the audio from the video as a .m4a file; add some reverb and compression in a audio editor, like Garageband (though I prefer Audacity); save the result as another .m4a file; and import that file back into the original video. Sounds complicated, but usually takes no more than about 5 minutes from start to finish.

lelouden
04-17-2015, 09:51 PM
iPhone into Dropbox?

I added the dropbox app to my iPhone and iPad so I could then work on things from the computer and every attempt fails. I can see the things that Ive added from my laptop into dropbox on my iPhone and iPad but it won't except anything I try and export into the box via the iPhone or iPad. Any thoughts?

redpaul1
04-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Morning Linda (or is it still midnight in AZ?)!

My advice would be to avoid the app if possible and upload via the browser if possible. If neither of those things work, don't try to fix it. Work round it. At the end of the day, your objective is not to make the app work, but to get your work from A to B.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55323779.jpg :cool:

Email your work to yourself as an attachment. Quite often, you don't even need to send it. Just save it as a draft on your iPhone, and it'll appear as a draft on your computer too.

I got that 'drafting' tip from watching some US crime show btw. It's a trick drug-dealers use. If the email's not actually sent, then (allegedly!!!), the NSA aren't able to monitor it. So two baddies use the same email a/c and just save drafts for each other to pick up. Clever, eh? - but don't be getting any ideas. No breaking bad in Mesa!! :)

Tootler
04-17-2015, 11:00 PM
I was recommended a free App called Movie Pro for iPad. I've only used it once but it was pretty easy to use and it had at least basic editing features so I could "top and tail" it. I was able to upload directly to You Tube directly from the app and there is an option to upload to dropbox which I've just used and it worked OK.

I know a lot of you like iMovie & Garageband but when you run up against problems like you are describing maybe you need to explore non Apple products.

I had no end of problems with Quicktime in the days when my PC ran windows and my daughter had loads of trouble with iTunes. As a result I am very wary of Apple products though I do like the iPad but I do find it lacks flexibility at times and you have to jump through hoops to get things done.

bonesigh
04-18-2015, 06:52 AM
OH YEAH! OH yeah!
I like this one, I felt like this yesterday.

lelouden
04-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks Paul and Goeff. I need to think outside the box a bit more:) Love the email tip Paul:)

Tootler
04-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Morning Linda (or is it still midnight in AZ?)!

My advice would be to avoid the app if possible and upload via the browser if possible. If neither of those things work, don't try to fix it. Work round it. At the end of the day, your objective is not to make the app work, but to get your work from A to B.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55323779.jpg :cool:

Email your work to yourself as an attachment. Quite often, you don't even need to send it. Just save it as a draft on your iPhone, and it'll appear as a draft on your computer too.

I got that 'drafting' tip from watching some US crime show btw. It's a trick drug-dealers use. If the email's not actually sent, then (allegedly!!!), the NSA aren't able to monitor it. So two baddies use the same email a/c and just save drafts for each other to pick up. Clever, eh? - but don't be getting any ideas. No breaking bad in Mesa!! :)

Loved the aligator cartoon, Paul. :biglaugh:

The save as draft tip will only work if you're using web mail but it looks like most folk have a webmail account these days. Even email that was once pop3 can now be run on the web.

bonesigh
04-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Sigh, I have tried. I have hooked up the phone to the PC. I have told the phone to add it to itunes. I have searched on the PC and in itunes, it's not there. But Animal Fair is...as a voice memo. What ????? Thank you for the help Paul! Only way I figure I can get it up for this Season is to play it from the phone while filming with the camera ):

AlanDP
04-18-2015, 02:51 PM

Click on the little blue autoplay icon on the top right corner to turn it off.

redpaul1
04-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Sigh, I have tried. I have hooked up the phone to the PC. I have told the phone to add it to itunes. I have searched on the PC and in itunes, it's not there. But Animal Fair is...as a voice memo. What ????? Thank you for the help Paul! Only way I figure I can get it up for this Season is to play it from the phone while filming with the camera ):

I'm guessing that by "it", you mean your .m4a file that you recorded on your iPhone. I'm guessing further that you've now got it on your PC. You've opened iTunes, looked for it and discovered it hiding under "Voice Memo"? And you want it appearing as "Music"? Well that's simple enough. Just select it, right-click for 'Get Info', open 'Options' find 'Media Kind' and choose 'Music' from the drop-down menu.

It's still the same .m4a file you created on your iPhone. All that's happened is that iTunes on your PC is programmed by default to treat .m4a files imported from the iPhone as 'Voice Memos.'

But anyway, yeah, that's all you need to do now: Get Info > Options > Media Kind > Music and you'll be good to go.

redpaul1
04-26-2015, 06:21 AM
I've been using Handbrake for a few weeks now to prepare my QuickTime files for upload to YT. I and Harry122 have both discovered that the resulting .mp4 file contains audio and video of differing lengths, leading to lip-synch issues, because the software stretches out the shorter track until it's the same length as the longer.

My workaround has been to use Audacity either to add 0dB to the end of the track until it's the same length as the video, or to trim the audio if it's too long.

Harry & I both suspect there's a setting in H'brake we're not setting, or accidentally setting but haven't figured it out yet.

Today, I used the QT Export function to create a YT-ready file (29.97fps etc), then used HB to convert that to .mp4. I tried converting with the framefrate set to constant and variable, but regardless, the video still ended up slightly shorter than the audio.

I've also converted the original file too, in that circumstance, the problem seems slightly worse with constant frame rate than variable frame rate.

Have any of you noticed the same problem? If so, have you any cures?

wee_ginga_yin
04-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Try this on for size

http://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/handbrake-video-audio-out-of-sync-problem.htm

Have not tried it but it gives reasons why it happens and possible solutions.

All the best

Rob.

bonesigh
04-26-2015, 04:49 PM
I finally tried the suggestion of mailing it to myself and then downloading the attachment in the mail. Worked. Thank you!

RAB11
04-26-2015, 08:54 PM
I've been using Handbrake for a few weeks now to prepare my QuickTime files for upload to YT. I and Harry122 have both discovered that the resulting .mp4 file contains audio and video of differing lengths, leading to lip-synch issues, because the software stretches out the shorter track until it's the same length as the longer.

My workaround has been to use Audacity either to add 0dB to the end of the track until it's the same length as the video, or to trim the audio if it's too long.

Harry & I both suspect there's a setting in H'brake we're not setting, or accidentally setting but haven't figured it out yet.

Today, I used the QT Export function to create a YT-ready file (29.97fps etc), then used HB to convert that to .mp4. I tried converting with the framefrate set to constant and variable, but regardless, the video still ended up slightly shorter than the audio.

I've also converted the original file too, in that circumstance, the problem seems slightly worse with constant frame rate than variable frame rate.

Have any of you noticed the same problem? If so, have you any cures?

My normal method for uploading is recording to QuickTime and then exporting to 720p and uploading that file. It could be that because I'm just relying on the laptop's built-in webcam and mic the file size stays small but I've never had any problem with that method.

redpaul1
04-26-2015, 10:01 PM
I finally tried the suggestion of mailing it to myself and then downloading the attachment in the mail. Worked. Thank you!

Yaay! So glad that suggestion worked for you!

It would of course be nice if your iPhone could talk directly to your PC via iTunes (and maybe one day, we'll figure that out), but your immediate objective is not to get your apps working. It's to get your file onto your PC so that you can work on it. Mission accomplished :)

dickadcock
04-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Assuming it hadn't been there all along w/o my noticing, I took a Youtube user ratings survey today, accessed by a blue banner across the top of my screen in "video viewing" mode. One can input gripes, suggestions, etc. Some dudes/dudettes gotta program, so we might as well try to influence the direction things go.

It appears that one can do the survey more than once. It was about 10 questions, w. chances to comment or not in a few spots.

Inksplosive AL
04-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Assuming it hadn't been there all along w/o my noticing, I took a Youtube user ratings survey today, accessed by a blue banner across the top of my screen in "video viewing" mode. One can input gripes, suggestions, etc. Some dudes/dudettes gotta program, so we might as well try to influence the direction things go.

It appears that one can do the survey more than once. It was about 10 questions, w. chances to comment or not in a few spots.

I would check my computer for nagware and viruses if I were you.

dickadcock
04-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I would check my computer for nagware and viruses if I were you.

Thanks for your concern. I'm not worried.
The survey is at https://survey.googleratings.com/wix/p8749522.aspx?l=9&G=US&env=watch . . . if you want to check it out. It's done once a year, I believe.

04-27-2015, 04:42 PM
autoplay on youtube

yes you can switch it off but it keeps switching itself back on!!!!!!!!!!!

and more pressingly...

it used to be if you had third party content matched, you could click on acknowledge

but now you can't

it says if you agree just take no action

but it used to be clicking acknowledge would change the info on your vid on your uploads page, to "third party content acknowledged"

now it just stays an angry looking clickable link that says "third party content matched"

I don't like it :mad:

redpaul1
05-06-2015, 02:49 PM
(redirected from Season 168, http://goo.gl/hxNEZI )

Here's an instrumental rendition of "Harbor Lights", ...
Sorry I had to repost this because youtube failed to generate a proper thumbnail. Thanks to BEV, Pa, and BJS for their nice comments (which are now lost)

I had the grey screen for the Season themepost, too. Today, now that it's a couple of days later, I tried editing the thumbnail again. I think it took this time. SO CLEAR UP THAT GREY WITH THUMBNAIL EDITS, BY YOUTUBE! YOUR FRIENDS WILL BE AMAZED!

When mine don't have a thumbnail, it's because it didn't create any. It seemed to create them when I uploaded, I chose one and saved it, then it never shows and when I go back I only have three "broken image" icons instead of thumbnails to choose from. But as long as the video works, it's not going to bother me too much.

I just went to have another go at editing my grey thumbnails and found that they had automagically sorted themselves out.

The thing about these grey (gray!) thumbnails is that they’re in your browser’s cache. It’s not YT that’s not updating them, but your browser (chances are if you’ve got another browser that you don’t use very often you’ll find the refreshed image there - so long as they don't share the same cache that is).

Here’s a couple of sets of instructions: 1) for forcing a refresh in Windows in particular
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10797-thumbnail-cache-clear-reset.html ;

and 2) for Chrome across all platforms
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/34690/refresh-most-visited-page-icons-in-google-chrome/

If they’re not exactly what you want, at least they should set you on the right track.

Tootler
05-06-2015, 10:24 PM
The thing about these grey (gray!) thumbnails is that they’re in your browser’s cache. It’s not YT that’s not updating them, but your browser (chances are if you’ve got another browser that you don’t use very often you’ll find the refreshed image there - so long as they don't share the same cache that is).

Here’s a couple of sets of instructions: 1) for forcing a refresh in Windows in particular
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10797-thumbnail-cache-clear-reset.html ;

and 2) for Chrome across all platforms
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/34690/refresh-most-visited-page-icons-in-google-chrome/

If they’re not exactly what you want, at least they should set you on the right track.

I tend to forget about the cache till something happens that reminds me that updating pulls much of the stuff from the cache. There's the old trick of holding down the shift key (or is it Ctrl? - I usually end up trying both) to force a full refresh - ie everything from the web. It also does no harm to clear out the cache regularly.

lelouden
05-07-2015, 12:37 PM
When I get a grey thumbnail or a really unpleasant opened mouth dorky thumbnail I have started uploading an image from my vid that I have taken a screen shot from. Usually with the title.

Now Im in control!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBUkmdpil0

wee_ginga_yin
06-12-2015, 11:29 AM
My google bell is not working any more. How about yours?
I am not getting any notifications about comments on my videos
The only way I can see if a comment has come in is to go to
the dashboard. Anyone else having this problem?

Tootler
06-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I'd been wondering why I had so few comments on my songs this week and had assumed they'd been overlooked till I read your post just now and went and checked YT to find I actually have quite a few comments, especially on my original. I've not been getting the notification emails either and my bell has nothing on it.

pabrizzer
06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
My bell hasn't been showing comments nor have I been getting emails.
Seemed to be working this morning though.

06-12-2015, 02:55 PM
i'm getting SOME notifications... but when I go to the main comments page, with comments for all vids, i'll find more new comments that the google bell has NOT notified me about

:confused:

Tootler
06-12-2015, 10:25 PM
i'm getting SOME notifications... but when I go to the main comments page, with comments for all vids, i'll find more new comments that the google bell has NOT notified me about

:confused:

I'm finding the same. I got a couple of email notifications this morning but nowhere near for all the comments on the vids. It was the same with the bell when I tried it this morning - some but nowhere near all the comments.

06-13-2015, 06:45 AM
99.99999999999999999999 percent of youtube probs seem to actually stem from all that google+ nonsense

:mad: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and paddington hard stare, to google+

lelouden
06-13-2015, 10:23 AM
I noticed the same problem mid week. I thought I had every comment replied to but I just went to my community/comments page and couldn't believe how much I had missed over the past two weeks :/

Jazzbanjorex
07-30-2015, 04:45 AM
Well now I can't comment on videos if I'm using my iPhone to watch them. I get this pop up that says I must log on with a real computer.

CeeJay
07-30-2015, 06:41 AM
I'm finding the same. I got a couple of email notifications this morning but nowhere near for all the comments on the vids. It was the same with the bell when I tried it this morning - some but nowhere near all the comments.

My Bell has disappeared....

07-31-2015, 11:50 AM
sounds uncomfortable ceejay, have you got it back yet?

i'm finding that sometimes when i post a comment on youtube, what gets printed is a load of utter nonsense, no ceejay wait, MY bit of nonsense is buried in a much BIGGER load of nonsense that youtube adds for some reason - some kind of code or something? anyway long story short i'm not trying to spam anyone who gets this, and i'm not doing it on purpose - is anyone else having the same thing happen?

08-05-2015, 02:18 PM
today my bell isn't working at all! it said no comments but when i went to the comments page there were a million gazillion (oh ok maybe half a dozen.....................) new ones

WOT is the POINT of a bell, if it don't RING?

Booli
08-05-2015, 02:52 PM
today my bell isn't working at all! it said no comments but when i went to the comments page there were a million gazillion (oh ok maybe half a dozen.....................) new ones

WOT is the POINT of a bell, if it don't RING?

Sorry for your woes...but maybe the bell is 'cracked' and cannot be fixed...

However, it seems that good news might be on the horizon.

One observation is that in their effort for world domination via the internet, with all of their privacy-stealing technology that everyone submits to using, willingly, The Google Empire has spread themselves too thin, and thus lack the manpower or intellectual capital for engineering personnel to repair such ancient technology as a 'bell' notification on their web page...hmmm.

Recent tech news says that Google+ is basically a failure (in it's attempt to supplant Facebook), and in these same reports, I read that Google is working out a way, and slowly rolling out the function of allowing users to NOT be forced to use Google+in order to participate in the social aspects of YouTube, i.e., leaving comments on videos.

The story further goes to add that those without a YouTube account already connected to a Google+login, will be allowed to leave comments WITHOUT needing to create and link a Google+ account.

Hopefully once they finish this effort, answering many of the complaints here for the ever-annoying requirement of a G+ acct to leave YT comments, that the bell notification will just 'automagically' get fixed.

see here, if you want all the gory details:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/08/03/1430233/inside-the-failure-of-google

http://mashable.com/2015/08/02/google-plus-history/

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/07/27/1723212/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-including-youtube

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/07/everything-in-its-right-place.html

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/07/youtube-comments.html

08-05-2015, 03:52 PM
thanks for that info and the links, booli!

the irony is that i'd gotten to quite like the bell - you could see right there, on any and every youtube page, if you had a new comment. well - sometimes!

but the whole idea of MAKING people sign up to google+, if they wanted to keep using youtube in any meaningful way, says it all - they could force people to sign up but they couldn't make people like, use or need google+. i would get messages saying so-and-so has added you to their circles and i'd think oh please don't! i have to be signed up to google+ but i don't do anything with it and i don't go to it and i don't check what's happening there!

i guess i'll get back in the habit of checking the comments page - like i have to check the messages page - on youtube. there was a time i think messages would show up on the bell but not always and not lately. if you sit waiting for an alert that never comes what's the point?!

social networking........................ my knee jerk response is always WHY?! i chat to people on UU and i chat to people on youtube, and that's plenty enough social and plenty enough networking for me!

wee_ginga_yin
08-19-2015, 09:43 PM
I hope this is not true. When I checked my subscribers this morning I was informed that I had lost
-553 subscribers. Is this a glitch or is Google doing some clean up??

This was on the creator studio page whereas on the main home page of the channel it was the normal
amount of subscribers... Strange!?

lelouden
08-20-2015, 05:56 AM
I can't log on to UU anymore in the usual way. I have to go through my history and click on an old opening to get here :/ ????

Debby
08-20-2015, 06:36 AM
I can't log on to UU anymore in the usual way. I have to go through my history and click on an old opening to get here :/ ????

I just never sign out. But that is easy to do from a phone. Some folks probably think I'm here all day, but I'm not. All I have to do is open my browser and check jn whenever I want.

Debby
08-20-2015, 06:41 AM
I hope this is not true. When I checked my subscribers this morning I was informed that I had lost
-553 subscribers. Is this a glitch or is Google doing some clean up??

This was on the creator studio page whereas on the main home page of the channel it was the normal
amount of subscribers... Strange!?

I've lost some, too. I guess it's not really a big deal since all my vids are unlisted. But it still feels good to know I have followers amd have been considering setting my vids as public. Last night, i was looking around and noticed that some channels that I had followed a while back are gone. I had to re-follow some folks. I thought that was weird. Today, as I get caught up on vids, i'm going to make sure that I'm subscribed to folks. I thought maybe my thumb had hit the unsubscribe button, since I do all this from a phone...but since you mentioned the same issue, it looks like something else has happened.

Booli
08-20-2015, 06:47 AM

What is 'the usual way' for you??

Do you not go to http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com, and then login via the text box area at the top right corner of the page?

One possible cause might be, that your browser cookies either got purged or had expired (both of which are good AND necessary to protect you from evil tracking done by MANY web sites) and thus your previously saved login and credentials had expired.

FYI: Typically cookies are either purged manually, or you can set your browser to purge them when you close the browser, and many antivirus programs and system cleanup programs like CCleaner have an automated & scheduled function to purge your browser history, cookies and various kinds of temp and cache files, and for the most part this makes your computer run better, as well as protect various evil web sites (mostly advertising sites as well as Facebook, Google & Amazon) from tracking you, and profiling you.

08-20-2015, 07:08 AM
i lost 200 subscribers yesterday

i don't even have 200 subscribers!!!!!!

lol!

youtube is currently (6pm UK time) saying there is a problem with subscriber data over the last few days

i think we should ignore everything the data says until it all calms down a bit!

lelouden
08-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I just never sign out. But that is easy to do from a phone. Some folks probably think I'm here all day, but I'm not. All I have to do is open my browser and check jn whenever I want.

I never sign out either. I do close down safari when Im not using it. I have UU bookmarked ann I just click the UU box and safari takes me directly to UU. Then I go to the forum.

What is 'the usual way' for you??

Do you not go to http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com, and then login via the text box area at the top right corner of the page?

One possible cause might be, that your browser cookies either got purged or had expired (both of which are good AND necessary to protect you from evil tracking done by MANY web sites) and thus your previously saved login and credentials had expired.

FYI: Typically cookies are either purged manually, or you can set your browser to purge them when you close the browser, and many antivirus programs and system cleanup programs like CCleaner have an automated & scheduled function to purge your browser history, cookies and various kinds of temp and cache files, and for the most part this makes your computer run better, as well as protect various evil web sites (mostly advertising sites as well as Facebook, Google & Amazon) from tracking you, and profiling you.

So should I clear all cookies? Hmmm Ill try a clean up.

lelouden
08-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Cleared out my cookies for UU and did a full clean up with Mackeeper and still when I click on the website I get this

Error establishing a database connection

lelouden
08-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Decided to bookmark the forum and now both bookmarks work :)

Booli
08-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Cleared out my cookies for UU and did a full clean up with Mackeeper and still when I click on the website I get this

Error establishing a database connection

I saw that too, and today at 6:11 PM EST, I received the following email from Ryan, (which I think is a possible broadcast email to all UU members also registered on the non-forum UU site):

Subject: So sorry the site is currently down, but we still have a live stream!

Aloha Booli,

I tried to upgrade the some software on our site yesterday and it seems to have broken the whole thing. I'm working on getting the site back up and running but in the meantime we still have a live lesson scheduled for today here is the emergency backup link to tune in at 1pm HST (in about an hour)

Link to live stream
http://gydb23nr.blue.onyxservers.com/onyxpanel/broadcasts/uuplus/

Link to Chat
https://ukuleleunderground.hipchat.com/chat/room/753757

Hope to see you there! Once again apologies for the site being down, I'll do my best to get it back up asap.

Aloha,
-Ryan

wee_ginga_yin
08-20-2015, 07:49 PM
On my gardening channel in the dashboard I now have 23 subscribers while if I view my
channel home page I have 590 subscribers. I am not particularly worried since I have been reading
there there has been a cull going on of deleted accounts. Perhaps it would be a good thing
to zero everybody's subscriptions every now and then a sort of enforced Shmita (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmita)

lelouden
08-20-2015, 08:14 PM
I saw that too, and today at 6:11 PM EST, I received the following email from Ryan, (which I think is a possible broadcast email to all UU members also registered on the non-forum UU site):

Thanks Booli for the help. Im just glad its working now......at least for me!

Booli
08-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks Booli for the help. Im just glad its working now......at least for me!

ANY time Linda!

Glad you got it sorted out and it's working for you now.

Seems to me that UU-Admin-Ryan is a wizard with their web server seeing that he can fix these things so quickly, when by comparison, all the problems with Google+ and YouTube and the nearly 100,000 developers that are employed in the Google Empire worldwide can't even fix a bell notification icon for weeks/months on end.

Maybe we should call that bell the Taco Bell from now on, and if the Taco Bell 'rings' ding-ding-ding, then we know it's time for dinner (in some parts of the world) :)

Tootler
08-21-2015, 07:16 AM
I've just checked my You Tube Channel and the number of subscribers looks OK at 154. I'm not sure if that's absolutely correct as I don't monitor numbers of subscribers closely but it looks about right.

OTOH, email notifications of comments on my songs seem to have dried up. I was a bit surprised that there were apparently no comments at all for my second entry for S183, not even from the host who I would have expected would have commented. I happened to make a check on my channel and found I actually had five added comments, three from the second entry and two more for the first entry.

Brian was one of those who commented on the second entry, btw so the host had commented. It's just that the email notifications have gone.

If only Google knew and understood the principle: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

uke4ia
08-21-2015, 08:25 AM
OTOH, email notifications of comments on my songs seem to have dried up. I was a bit surprised that there were apparently no comments at all for my second entry for S183, not even from the host who I would have expected would have commented. I happened to make a check on my channel and found I actually had five added comments, three from the second entry and two more for the first entry.

For the last few days, the little bell at the top of the page doesn't give me any notice of new comments, and they haven't shown up next to the name of the video in the Video Manager.

Debby
08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
I've just checked my You Tube Channel and the number of subscribers looks OK at 154. I'm not sure if that's absolutely correct as I don't monitor numbers of subscribers closely but it looks about right.

Brian was one of those who commented on the second entry, btw so the host had commented. It's just that the email notifications have gone.

If only Google knew and understood the principle: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I've been having the same issue.

Tootler
08-21-2015, 09:04 AM
For the last few days, the little bell at the top of the page doesn't give me any notice of new comments, and they haven't shown up next to the name of the video in the Video Manager.

I had downloaded the Creator Studio app on my iPad but hadn't made much use of it until recently when I found that it was a better place to read and reply to comments than the main YT app. It was checking there that I found the comments. Unfortunately unlike Mail and FB it doesn't notify of new activity with a little number by the app icon. You have to actually make a point of opening it.

pabrizzer
08-21-2015, 09:50 AM
My wife thinks all I do is watch my own vids when what I am usually doing is responding to comments.
It is even worse now because the BELL is not working and I have to check recent vids just to see if I have comments. Sheeesh!
I guess it will start ringing again sometime?

Debby
08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
My wife thinks all I do is watch my own vids when what I am usually doing is responding to comments.
It is even worse now because the BELL is not working and I have to check recent vids just to see if I have comments. Sheeesh!
I guess it will start ringing again sometime?

Yep, and having to click on your own videos and NOT watching them in full will mess with your analytics, if your interested in keeping track of that sort of thing. I'm not, but I know some Seasonistas are.

08-21-2015, 12:54 PM
there is a page, a comments page on youtube, it's under community on the LHS if you're on your main videos page (video manager page) or your dashboard page - if you go on to the comments page, you can see if you have any new comments without having to visit each of your videos seperately

today the taco bell told me i had one new comment but when i checked the comments page i actually had about half a dozen. so at the moment i am making sure i swing by the comments page to make sure i don't miss anything

pabrizzer
08-21-2015, 01:09 PM
there is a page, a comments page on youtube, it's under community on the LHS if you're on your main videos page (video manager page) or your dashboard page - if you go on to the comments page, you can see if you have any new comments without having to visit each of your videos seperately

today the taco bell told me i had one new comment but when i checked the comments page i actually had about half a dozen. so at the moment i am making sure i swing by the comments page to make sure i don't miss anything

That is just soooo helpful. Thank you so much BEVomu.
It took me a while to find it as I hadn't gone to the video manager page.
That's the way I'll be doing it in the future and it will save me a lot of clicking and page surfing.
Really appreciate this Lynda!

CeeJay
08-21-2015, 01:17 PM
I think You Tube is broken a bit .
I don't have a Taco Bell...I don't have Edit /Delete or any icons in the "Share" section showing . I think it's also vile and full of adolescent kids slagging each other of in the most appalling way ....and I just can't stop myself jumping off and joining in:drool::mad::eek: ...so I'm going to scrap it and transfer some stuff to Vimeo.

lelouden
08-21-2015, 02:14 PM
I just went to my comments page and unless Ive double thanked people I could believe how many things I had missed. Thanks Lynda for reminding me of that. Now if they could just reroute that taco bell to that page I might give YT some praise :)

Debby
08-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Ok...I switched my youtube mobile version to desktop version, and I'm at the video manager page...where do i find the comment page?

08-21-2015, 02:30 PM
pleasure, pa and linda. i've bookmarked that comments page now, so i don't even have to try and remember how to navigate there, i can click straight to it!

ceejay! lol! you're so bad! but pleeeeeeeeease don't scrap your youtube stuff, all my links to you in my uke awesomeness playlist will be lost! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

debby - you should have "community" on the LHS - click on that to expand and you should get comments (plus messages and other stuff i forget what), click again on comments

Debby
08-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Lynda!!

08-21-2015, 02:35 PM
:music: :rock:

Debby
08-21-2015, 03:00 PM
I wanted to leave a comment on one of JooJoo's vids...and there isnt a comment box offered...or any comments there. I've never seem that happen before.

08-21-2015, 03:36 PM
she said she was going to disable comments for all her vids... she felt she couldn't do justice to making comments without taking a lot of time and thought on it, and needed to take a break, and given she wouldn't be making comments on other people's vids, or certainly not as many as before, she didn't want people to feel obligated to comment on her vids

:(

Hippie Dribble
08-21-2015, 04:13 PM
she said she was going to disable comments for all her vids... she felt she couldn't do justice to making comments without taking a lot of time and thought on it, and needed to take a break, and given she wouldn't be making comments on other people's vids, or certainly not as many as before, she didn't want people to feel obligated to comment on her vids

:(
Tears are being shed here. I miss her already. My Joo crush is in overdrive.... :(

lelouden
08-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Ya hear that Joo. Your just going to have to turn it back on :)

Harry122
08-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Hey Joo, please let us comment on your vids. No need to reciprocate, we understand if you're busy! As a matter of fact we love it when you're busy! I just like commenting when I'm moved, impressed, or tickled - and your videos do that a lot!

Plus, if you don't allow comments, people are going to leave their thoughts right in the Season threads - cluttering them up! ;)

So. give us a break!

08-21-2015, 05:34 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo linda, love that pic of you in your new avatar! yeah baby!

and yeah i told joo, i said, babes, just don't take so long on your comments! i never take very long! and she said yeah it shows... :eek: no actually she never said anything of the sort! ;)

Debby
08-21-2015, 06:15 PM
I hope she has a change of heart and turns her comments back on. I never comment out of obligation. I don't feel that way. If I felt it was a chore, I wouldn't be here! The Seasonistas are my peeps, and I like to comment!!! I don't expect a reply back.

08-21-2015, 06:24 PM
the other minus of disabling comments (i actually disabled comments for my first ever uke vid here for the seasons, because i thought random youtube peeps, not seasons peeps, just random beings from the youtube universe, would swing by and tell me i was rubbish! well i got over that fear, i'm not saying random beings from the youtube universe DON'T sometimes swing by and tell me i'm rubbish, i just don't care much!) where was i oh yeah, the other minus of disabling comments is you can still interact with seasons peeps here on the threads but you no longer have the chance to make friends with those random beings from the youtube universe who swing by and are really nice, i got to know joo and ukulele extra cheese over on youtube before they ever ventured onto the seasons and i'd have missed that if i didn't allow comments and that would have been :(

joo
08-21-2015, 06:36 PM
I am a selfish son of the ..........duck!!!!!!!! ( any animal will do ....2 legged or more is prefered!)

I have been commenting on some videos this week, some seasonistas stuff, some other videos on YT too.

The main reason i did that stupid trying out no comments thingie, is that i felt so silly to keep checking if anyone comments on my videos!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!! Thats why!!!!!

I miss chatting with you guys. I love you guys.

Been busy this week.
I teach art part time at 2 places. And just last week, i started helping out at my brother's interior design company,
plus a few obligations here and there...
So i have not been here much.

But i have quickly recorded something this morning for ukefoote's Woodstock theme, just need to find time to put some images for that. Then there is another song i want to cover, with a new tenor i just bought!

Sorry friends, i will not disable my comments anymore!!!!
Thanks for your friendship. Love you all!
Chat soon!

08-21-2015, 06:45 PM
we love yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

there is no obligation to comment, or to reply to someone if they comment - just goooooooooooooooooooooo with the floooooooooooooooooooooow baby!

Debby
08-21-2015, 06:47 PM
I am a selfish son of the ..........duck!!!!!!!! ( any animal will do ....2 legged or more is prefered!)

I have been commenting on some videos this week, some seasonistas stuff, some other videos on YT too.

The main reason i did that stupid trying out no comments thingie, is that i felt so silly to keep checking if anyone comments on my videos!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!! Thats why!!!!!

I miss chatting with you guys. I love you guys.

Been busy this week.
I teach art part time at 2 places. And just last week, i started helping out at my brother's interior design company,
plus a few obligations here and there...
So i have not been here much.

But i have quickly recorded something this morning for ukefoote's Woodstock theme, just need to find time to put some images for that. Then there is another song i want to cover, with a new tenor i just bought!

Sorry friends, i will not disable my comments anymore!!!!
Thanks for your friendship. Love you all!
Chat soon!

We love you, Joo!

joo
08-21-2015, 08:50 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOOK SO BLOODDY LONG TO TYPE A F@*KING COMMENT ON MY IPHONE JUST NOW WHEN I WAS TRYING TO REPLY TO YOU GUYS. I HATE THOSE BLOODY SMALL PHONES WITH TOUCH SCREEN OR WHATEVER THEY CALL IT!
I STILL LIKE FAT, MONSTER BUTTONS WHEN I TYPE!
( am now typing this from my laptop, with REAL buttons, thank goodness)

I LOVE YOU ALL TOO. AND, LET ME TELL YOU, I AM NOT SAYING IT 'CUZ I FEEL A NEED TO RECIPROCATE ALL THE LOVE AND WARMTH.

Harry122
08-22-2015, 04:16 AM
Just joo being joo is reciprocation enough for me!

Tootler
08-22-2015, 04:37 AM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOOK SO BLOODDY LONG TO TYPE A F@*KING COMMENT ON MY IPHONE JUST NOW WHEN I WAS TRYING TO REPLY TO YOU GUYS. I HATE THOSE BLOODY SMALL PHONES WITH TOUCH SCREEN OR WHATEVER THEY CALL IT!

I LOVE YOU ALL TOO. AND, LET ME TELL YOU, I AM NOT SAYING IT 'CUZ I FEEL A NEED TO RECIPROCATE ALL THE LOVE AND WARMTH.

Me too which is why I bought a physical keyboard for my iPad. It's not perfect but much better than the touch screen keyboard - as long as I charge it up from time to time so the bluetooth connection works. I can't believe it doesn't have either a # key or an @ key which means I have to call up the on screen keyboard whenever I need one of those symbols which is a PITA.

joo
08-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Me too which is why I bought a physical keyboard for my iPad. It's not perfect but much better than the touch screen keyboard - as long as I charge it up from time to time so the bluetooth connection works. I can't believe it doesn't have either a # key or an @ key which means I have to call up the on screen keyboard whenever I need one of those symbols which is a PITA.

but that sounds sort of carrying too many things around? I got an ipad mini and the much bigger size of it compared to my iphone is SO NICE.
So, even though it's still touch screen it's not so bad for me.

I have MONSTER fingers.

Hippie Dribble
08-22-2015, 05:15 AM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

:love::love::love:

(touch screen thingos? I have no idea how people use them, or even how to use them. I don't even have a mobile phone and I have never even used one before)

PS - it's 1.15am here now but I am sending you an email in the morning. You are adored and appreciated . xo

Tootler
08-22-2015, 05:17 AM

Thanks for pointing this out, Lynda. It's taking it back to how You Tube used to be before Google started messing with it. The Studio app on iPad was serving the same purpose there letting me read and respond to comments without having to first pause the video.

I noticed two extras, though. There are three tabs at the top "Comments, Messages and Spam" and the spam tab had a "6" by it. When I checked I found five missed comments and a PM which I was able mark as not spam. The message was from a month ago asking for chords on one of the songs from an earlier season so I'll have to send him an apologetic reply then check the chord sheets in my computer.

I noticed that I do have a flag by my Taco Bell showing there are new comments.

Also while I said I had stopped getting email notices of comments, I am still getting emails when there are replies to comments on other peoples videos just no emails for comments on my own videos.

Tootler
08-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Hmmph!

Just checked the Taco Bell. They're all replies to comments on other peoples videos but no notice of comments on my own videos. Useful but not good enough.

BTW Have you noticed that when you upload a video there are checkboxes to share automatically on Google+ and Twitter but not Facebook.

Interesting.

librainian
08-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I was following with interest everyone's thoughts about comments. I too felt a certain urge to reply to comments left and early on i did often reply with a thanks or some other response. particularly when someone leaves a compliment it seems so rude not to acknowledge that. Not replying is something I would never do in person but as the seasons have grown this becomes difficult and begins to feel repetitive.

I know you all leave comments as I do, when something about a specific entry compels me. I don't expect a response to that. Please don't feel you have to come back with a "thanks." If you want to add to a conversation by all means but I know we all enjoy and encourage everyone's contribution.

Watch and comment when YOU want. If it ever feels like a chore or obligation... don't do it! Do I like views and comments? Absolutely! Do I expect them or feel bad if I don't get many? Absolutely NOT!

Sometimes I can't participate fully but still lurk and watch. Sometimes I comment a lot, submit a lot and reply a lot. I do as much as is fun to do, when I can do it. I don't expect more than that from anyone. We have plenty of enthusiastic members to carry this torch every week. Love to you all. Now back to your regularly scheduled whinging :p

08-22-2015, 04:43 PM
re. what tootler said above, it would be nice if you could go to one page and see all comments - new comments on your own vids, AND replies to comments you've made on other people's vids. at the moment it does seem that the comments page just has comments on your own vids, and you're reliant on the whims of the taco bell for replies to comments you've made on other people's videos

thesillydave
08-22-2015, 06:32 PM
after tootler said something here...i looked...had no comments on my last 3 vids...which isn't surprising! i have been slouching lately...
but!!, after his suggestion, i went to community settings, and lo and behold, i had comments! but not posted to my videos....
on one, i had 8 comments, but none showed up on the actual video! what gives youtube?
signed, iamconfused.

08-22-2015, 06:56 PM
booli said youtube is in the process of extricating itself from the google+ stranglehold, i'm guessing maybe some of the current chaos and nonsense is maybe part of that? obviously glitches are gonna happen but stats and comments are just all over the place right now. i hope it all settles down to something good(-ish) EVENTUALLY

lelouden
08-22-2015, 07:11 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to have you back Joo. Love it when you can comment but it's no big deal if you can't. Here's a little good trick to use with your iPhone when making comments. Do you see the little microphone at the bottom? Tap on it and all you have to do is talk to your phone and it will type out everything you say but it will show as run on sentences so you have to go back and drop in some periods here and there.

I don't mind run on sentances. I use my microphone all the time with texts and anytime I have to type out on this little phone. Try it you'll like it !

lelouden
08-22-2015, 07:16 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo linda, love that pic of you in your new avatar! yeah!

Isn't she cute. I was assigned that superhero by BDU over on Facebook. I think I might keep her:)

08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
it's very you!

Jazzbanjorex
08-26-2015, 12:41 PM
YouTube quit sending me emails that I had comments on my videos. Something new?

Debby
08-26-2015, 12:58 PM
YouTube quit sending me emails that I had comments on my videos. Something new?

Yep. We are all experiencing it. Go back a page or two and you will see. You can go to the community page on YouTube, on the left hand side and access your comments there, if you don't want to check each video individually.

Jazzbanjorex
08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Yep. We are all experiencing it. Go back a page or two and you will see. You can go to the community page on YouTube, on the left hand side and access your comments there, if you don't want to check each video individually.

That's how I did cheched my comments but I liked getting the emails.

bonesigh
08-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Stupid iphone has decided not to upload directly to YT. The "publish" button is........dead! 82815

Debby
08-26-2015, 05:02 PM
That's how I did cheched my comments but I liked getting the emails.
I prefer them, too.

Debby
08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Stupid iphone has decided not to upload directly to YT. The "publish" button is........dead! 82815

Are you using the app? I use an iPhone, but I don't use the app. I just tried uploading a little video, as a test, and it still works. I just click the little icon (not sure what it's called) that you hit to air drop or send the vid in a text message. Then I juat scroll down to the youtube option.

bonesigh
08-27-2015, 02:50 AM
Debby, I am using the app. Never tried it without. Never air dropped either. I'm new to this phone technology. The app was working fine and then...nope. I'll try another way. Thanks.

bonesigh
08-27-2015, 02:56 AM
Meh, just gave it a try and the phone won't even bring up YT. I know it's connected to wi fi in the home so??? I may have to go by the phone store to have them help me (:

UkeCan1
08-30-2015, 02:44 PM
I've been too busy lately to follow this thread, but just discovered a week's worth of comments that have not shown up in the YouTube bell ... even when I click on it ... and I see here you all have discovered this a week ago!

This link may help everyone - check here to see all your latest comments on all videos: https://www.youtube.com/comments

Apologies for my week-late YT replies just now ... now you know why!
I am feeling the Seasons love again now ... for a week I thought you all had abandoned me. :(

Rustyy
09-01-2015, 05:21 PM
I've been too busy lately to follow this thread, but just discovered a week's worth of comments that have not shown up in the YouTube bell ... even when I click on it ... and I see here you all have discovered this a week ago!

This link may help everyone - check here to see all your latest comments on all videos: https://www.youtube.com/comments

Thanks for this Wendy. I have added it to my Bookmarks bar.
When I used it I even found old comments, some were marked as potential spam.

My biggest gripe these days is that the Shockwave plug-in for Google Chrome stops working, virtually freezing the browser. Hope they fix it soon.

09-01-2015, 05:45 PM
yes but at least they've taken the time to redesign the google logo!

which makes AAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL the difference!

not

mythinformed
09-03-2015, 03:50 AM
My Ding-A-Ling hasn't worked for weeks !!

09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
oh no! lol!

Booli
09-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Maybe Google has abandoned the 'Taco' Bell in favor of Soilent Green.

UkeCan1
09-04-2015, 03:52 AM
yes but at least they've taken the time to redesign the google logo!

which makes AAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL the difference!

not

Oh, is that what that is?! I keep seeing this weird new logo in browser tabs, and I have not yet learned to associate this rainbow-G-looking thing with The Great God Google. Thank you for bringing it to my attention ... I might have some hope of actually finding my way around my way-too-many tabs again now.

UkeCan1
09-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Sometimes the web is a happy place ... today is one of those days. (Even though the YT bell is still messed up.)

Functional electronic tuners are available from Reverb for only $.99 (https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner) ... in the US only, I think. These are not the world's best tuners, but for a buck, they are worth getting - I got one once before when they were $3, and was happy with that purchase.

It says 1 per customer, but you actually can order up to ten. For $9.90, to have a bunch of spares and to give to friends, I figured it was worth it.

I'd post this on a separate thread, but previous such threads in the Seasons area have been moved to other parts of UU, and I wanted you all to see this in case you want some too.

Barbablanca
09-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Anybody know why my Youtube Channel is still informing me when people reply to my comments on their songs, but not when there are new comments on my own songs on my channel. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know what to do about it?

lelouden
09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Anybody know why my Youtube Channel is still informing me when people reply to my comments on their songs, but not when there are new comments on my own songs on my channel. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know what to do about it?

That started happening to most of us a few weeks back. if you go to your YT comments page under community and bookmark that page then you can find everything in a nice neat order.

Hey, Its YT:mad: + Google:mad: = ..........Oh dang, there isn't a poo emoji.

Tootler
09-12-2015, 08:44 AM
My YT account seems to have started sending me emails to inform of new comments on my videos again today. Will it continue I wonder?

Barbablanca
09-13-2015, 01:22 AM
Mine just informed me of comments again too. I always reckon these are glitches caused by the constant tinkering of "developers" who have to justify their enormous salaries by constantly fiddling with the system and proposing new ways to fix what ain't broken! :mad:

Harry122
09-13-2015, 02:46 AM
I'm experiencing a weird YouTube situation. Here in the threads, when someone embeds a video, there's a link in the bottom right corner to the YT page with that video. Lately, though, that link is missing on my iPad, but still exists on my computer. Very frustrating when I want to leave a comment!

Tootler
09-13-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm experiencing a weird YouTube situation. Here in the threads, when someone embeds a video, there's a link in the bottom right corner to the YT page with that video. Lately, though, that link is missing on my iPad, but still exists on my computer. Very frustrating when I want to leave a comment!

They have moved the link to the title at the top of the video. At least that's where it is on my iPad. As Berni says they're tinkering again.

UkeCan1
09-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Facebook frustration:

I created a page for my new band (https://www.facebook.com/UkeOn) today. That went well - actually better than my previous band page. These days you can grab a custom URL immediately ... you do not need to get some number of likes first. (Though we have lots already anyway.)

Then I created an event for our gig next Sunday (https://www.facebook.com/events/364193440417573). Apparently, for two weeks now, you can't set or edit the time of an event - it sets the event time as the current time, and there is no facility to edit it later.

Google to the rescue though ... the answer is here (https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10153639126313793). Turns out you can edit the time on a phone or tablet ... you just can't do it in the browser on the computer.

This is the first time I've ever been able to do something on a device that I couldn't do on the computer. Usually it is the other way round.

But I did waste some time fixing it. You would think that two weeks of people reporting a bug would be enough, but FB has not fixed it yet.

Well, I suppose, with such a vast and complex system, we FB users should be grateful this is as bad as it gets, technologically speaking. Love or hate FB, it really is a marvel. Now I can let hundreds of people know about my gig, pretty easily ... there really is no other way to do that for a brand new band. And once I figured it out, it was surprisingly easy (though time-consuming) to invite a whole lot of FB friends to like the page. Hopefully it will be equally easy to invite them to the event page ... that's next.

I'm curious if anybody else here uses Facebook to promote a band or their own music ... and if you have any pointers or best practices for getting engagement and invites seen. I'm still pretty new at the page and event thing, though I have done a few of them.

Harry122
09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
They have moved the link to the title at the top of the video. At least that's where it is on my iPad. As Berni says they're tinkering again.

You're my hero!

UkeCan1
09-13-2015, 02:35 PM
First time this has happened to me:

I uploaded a video to YouTube. It finished processing and displayed three thumbnails to choose from. I chose one and clicked "Publish".

Now it is showing three blank-screen thumbnails and the three it had already showed me are gone.

Grrrrrrrrrr............

UkeCan1
09-13-2015, 04:20 PM
It's kind of a good-news-bad-news night.

Here's some good news:

I just got a '1' on my YouTube bell ... and it was a comment on the video I just posted! It's been a while since I've seen that.

(And yeah, I deleted and re-uploaded the video after my previous "bad news" post.)

bonesoup
01-12-2016, 03:42 AM
All the youtube comments on my latest vid just vanished :( I really appreciated them and wanted to say that I didn't delete them. My Comments page (Wendy's link) lists the number I'm supposed to have but only 2 actually display. They're not in Spam or anything.

Youtube Help was no help except this is happening to others too. One person suggested comments disappear when a user comments too much (?). I comment about as much as any seasonista I think, but maybe I should hold off for a while..

I use Firefox with some privacy extentions. Maybe youtube doesn't like that all of a sudden. But when I turned all that off, those nice comments still didn't reappear.

Annnnnnyway :rolleyes:

Harry122
01-12-2016, 05:10 AM
All the youtube comments on my latest vid just vanished :( I really appreciated them and wanted to say that I didn't delete them. My Comments page (Wendy's link) lists the number I'm supposed to have but only 2 actually display. They're not in Spam or anything.

Youtube Help was no help except this is happening to others too. One person suggested comments disappear when a user comments too much (?). I comment about as much as any seasonista I think, but maybe I should hold off for a while..

I use Firefox with some privacy extentions. Maybe youtube doesn't like that all of a sudden. But when I turned all that off, those nice comments still didn't reappear.

I've been having random comments disappear and then later re-appear. I can't figure out what's causing it, so it's probably YouTube weirdness. I'm using Safari BTW.

Booli
01-12-2016, 07:54 AM

What happens if you view your video with a mobile device in the browser?

If you can try on a Apple device...

(Hint: go into the SETTINGS under GENERAL, and RESTRICTIONS and turn on RESTRICTIONS, and then disable access to the YouTube app to force it to load in Safari on iOS)

This works on all i-Devices since iOS 6.x (which was a few yrs ago).

If it loads the comments on your mobile device (in Safari), then it might be some persistent block that remains on your desktop/laptop computer, despite disabling the privacy extensions in your browser.

I use Firefox, and have NoScript, PrivacyBadger, Adblock, Self-Destructing Cookies, HTTPS-Everywhere for the 'privacy' functions added to my browser, and sometimes I have to disable either NoScript or PrivacyBadger for some sites to work properly. If those sites are critical, I add an exception to the extensions' white-lists for them.

Also, I have a program called Privoxy that all network traffic on my computer goes through and sometimes Privoxy will block legit content, and for that I have to mess with the Privoxy white-list, but this has only happened a few times. Privoxy works for more than just the browser if you set your computer's network settings for PROXY to the correct option after you've installed Privoxy.

turtledrum
01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I've been having random comments disappear and then later re-appear. I can't figure out what's causing it, so it's probably YouTube weirdness. I'm using Safari BTW.

Me, too! Rob (Gardener Guy)....thanks for your comment on "The Tide is High".....let me tell you - that disappeared before I had time to click reply! Like a pleasant dream image - there then gone!

wee_ginga_yin
01-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Me, too! Rob (Gardener Guy)....thanks for your comment on "The Tide is High".....let me tell you - that disappeared before I had time to click reply! Like a pleasant dream image - there then gone!

If I like a comment I usually write a novel as a reply. Imagine my horror
when three very good replies just disappeared, and that is me commented
on my own channel.

Then the other strange thing is that I see a comment and the next time I look
it has disappeared and I then rediscover it as spam and I have to review it
and approve it.

It is just crazy.

bonesoup
01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear it's happening to you guys too. C'mon youtube.

Booli, thanks for the tech support :) I just followed your instructions and tried on an ipad with mobile chip in Safari. The comments do not appear. Only comments from today - the rest, kaput. Seems like youtube weirdness unless you have other thoughts. PS We have the same setup except I use Cookie Controller instead of Self-Destructing. EFF 4 Life yo.

Booli
01-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Sorry to hear it's happening to you guys too. C'mon youtube.

Booli, thanks for the tech support :) I just followed your instructions and tried on an ipad with mobile chip in Safari. The comments do not appear. Only comments from today - the rest, kaput. Seems like youtube weirdness unless you have other thoughts. PS We have the same setup except I use Cookie Controller instead of Self-Destructing. EFF 4 Life yo.

No problem. Glad to help.

Yes EFF. Single MOST important consumer/freedom/privacy advocacy group since forever.

I make donations to them, NPR and Wikipedia regularly.

If it still dont work on your iPad w/Safari, the only other thing I could think of is maybe something in your DNS from your ISP is getting mangled (which is a bad juju for an ISP to be rewriting DNS, unless you WANT them to, i.e., filter/block certain sites, but that is usually OPT-IN), and this would happen if you are on WiFi at home. if your iPad has cellular data or you have an iPhone, try turning WiFi off, and then make sure cellular data is ON, and then try the pages again in Safari.

For good measure, you could go into SETTINGS and under SAFARI, and PRIVACY, delete private data in the cache and cookies and try again with Safari on cellular data...

If the comments still don't show, I'd say YouTube/Google is either having problems with their back-end, or in the midst of rolling out an update which has not yet propagated to all the content-delivery mirror-servers around the world...(many things can cause this to be slow), and as such would surmise that there's little we can do but wait and conjugate some four-letter words in a sentence with Google and/or YouTube.

There are commands you can issue from a commandline or Terminal prompt (win/mac/Linux) that will purge your computer's local DNS cache, which exists OUTSIDE your browser, but usually this is not necessary...there are instructions online for such things, but to post them here would be beyond the scope of this thread....

UkeCan1
01-12-2016, 03:03 PM
For testing purposes, you could also just give us the link to the video in question, and one of us could tell you what comments we see. :)

Halfling
01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Mozilla Firefox and Youtube are not working properly in my experience. In fact cannot access You Tube from UU links and cannot paste into YT .

Back to IE 11 for me then.

01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
on the embedded vids right now some of the buttons aren't showing for me (on firefox) but if i hover the cursor over where the button SHOULD be, i might get the little message come up eg "view on youtube", and i can click even if i can't see the button, and go to view on youtube etc

Booli
01-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Mozilla Firefox and Youtube are not working properly in my experience. In fact cannot access You Tube from UU links and cannot paste into YT .

Back to IE 11 for me then.

I've had no problems at ALL with YouTube and Firefox, I've been watching YT videos every day without issue on my computer using Firefox, but then again I'm on Linux(I dont do Windows)

If you're using IE11, sounds like you're on Windows. If all the folks are having problems are using Windows, maybe the problem is with Windows and NOT Firefox.

No problems to click on UU links for YT, nor copy/paste as you suggest, for me.

Booli
01-12-2016, 03:45 PM
For testing purposes, you could also just give us the link to the video in question, and one of us could tell you what comments we see. :)

Yes, this is a good troubleshooting step, but use the crowd to confirm how wide the problem has spread, and each of us reporting in should indicate Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS and what VERSION as well as which browser.

There's a truism in computer programming: Many eyes makes all bugs shallow.

We can do that here because there are so many of us.

Halfling
01-12-2016, 03:48 PM
I've had no problems at ALL with YouTube and Firefox, I've been watching YT videos every day without issue on my computer using Firefox, but then again I'm on Linux(I dont do Windows)

If you're using IE11, sounds like you're on Windows. If all the folks are having problems are using Windows, maybe the problem is with Windows and NOT Firefox.

No problems to click on UU links for YT, nor copy/paste as you suggest, for me.
Watching is not problem .Uploading is, simply won't . YT freezes FF and Google Chrome , vimeo is fine . IE 11 with YT is fine for upload. Internet....pah ...wunderbar until it is kaput !!

Halfling
01-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Tried Opera v35 . Is my new best freund. V 34 Pardon.

Booli
01-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Watching is not problem .Uploading is, simply won't . YT freezes FF and Google Chrome , vimeo is fine . IE 11 with YT is fine for upload. Internet....pah ...wunderbar until it is kaput !!

The last 2-3 updates to FF, Mozilla has made significant changes to the guts of FF, including both the rendering engine and the javascript handler...could be those changes are still half-baked, and some folks are seeing it like you guys...

I read some incensed discussions on Slashdot and reddit about it all a while back, but the details escape me at the moment. if interested you can go to mozilla.org and look at the release notes for the version of FF you have installed (in the FF menu, help >> about FF shows the version number and build number) and see what changes are specific to what you have on your computer...

Booli
01-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Tried Opera v35 . Is my new best freund. V 34 Pardon.

That's likely a better choice than Google Chrome, which allows Google to snoop on all of your browsing activity and loads all kinds of background services on both Mac and Windows that are difficult to get rid of even if/when you do a proper uninstall. You need CCleaner to purge the registry (on Windows) and LingOn to disable services/daemons (on OSX) so you can manually delete their
service scripts in ~/Library/LaunchItems, LaunchAgents, StartupItems...

bonesoup
01-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Um okay here's my video in question. Comments page says it should have 14 comments, 6 are displaying - all from yesterday and today. 8 before are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BIuo4Q8s4

I also noticed my previous video should have 19 comments, 9 are displaying, 10 seem to be missing.

I cleared everything in Safari on mobile and still the comments don't display. I'll see what happens when I post a new vid in the next season before going into my DNS. Thanks Booli.

01-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Um okay here's my video in question.
well i know for a fact i commented on that vid but my comment is not showing now

i know i've been getting quite a lot of comments from people i know don't spam, getting flagged as spam, i think you mentioned about checking that? i've bookmarked the general comments page https://www.youtube.com/comments?tab=inbox&filter=all so i can go to it easily, there is a tab to click to see comments that have been filtered out as likely spam, you can click on the tick for them to make them show properly

Booli
01-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Um okay here's my video in question. Comments page says it should have 14 comments, 6 are displaying - all from yesterday and today. 8 before are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BIuo4Q8s4

I also noticed my previous video should have 19 comments, 9 are displaying, 10 seem to be missing.

I cleared everything in Safari on mobile and still the comments don't display. I'll see what happens when I post a new vid in the next season before going into my DNS. Thanks Booli.

No problem, glad to help. :)

I tried your video linked above and on my Linux computer in 3 browsers, FireFox, Midori and Konqueror, all shows:

All Comments (6)

and only 6 total comments.

Safari on my iPad3 running iOS 8.4, and both Firefox and Chrome on my Nexus 7 2013HD running Android 6.0.1 all show:

All Comments (14)

but ONLY 6 comments actually appear.

Midori, Konqueror, Safari, and Chrome are in a factory state with no plugins or privacy extensions, and Firefox on Linux has some privacy extensions as does Firefox on Android.

So at this point, I have to concur with the original complaint with YT/Google, and conclude that the problem lies with their servers/back-end services and is not with my nor your computers/devices.

Sorry for the long walk down this path, but I try to be as thorough as I can. I'm sure there are other troubleshooting steps that I might have missed, but right now, I have no other ideas.

I have not looked on the YT Support pages or in other places yet. If I have time I will see what I can find out.

For now, I guess we can only wait since we are at the mercy of YT/Google to get this fixed.:(

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3a/af/4d/3aaf4d1e12381b199523884daf1968b4.jpg

Booli
01-13-2016, 01:23 AM
well i know for a fact i commented on that vid but my comment is not showing now

i know i've been getting quite a lot of comments from people i know don't spam, getting flagged as spam, i think you mentioned about checking that? i've bookmarked the general comments page https://www.youtube.com/comments?tab=inbox&filter=all so i can go to it easily, there is a tab to click to see comments that have been filtered out as likely spam, you can click on the tick for them to make them show properly

All of these problems only confirms to me that Google cares not about the users, but instead about their advertisers.

It seems once again that we are all merely sheep to be herded for collective data mining and building profiles based upon our habits. The profiles are sold to the highest bidder which fattens their bottom line and stock price and keeps shareholders happy, while most folks just accept the status quo since all of these services are 'free as in beer' but not 'free as in libre'.

Remember, if the service is 'free' YOU are the product being sold, and the price is paid by allowing them to mine your data from your habits when you use these services, which they monetize both in aggregate form, as well as individually, all in the name of 'improving' the service, when in fact they are really just honing a more accurate profile of us over time.

Facebook and Twitter are just as guilty as Google.

Nothing we can do about it save to not use these services, since a petition or other protest is likely to be laughed at by the 800 lb Gorilla that is the Google Empire.

Before you might want to dismiss me as wearing a tinfoil hat, there are tons of evidence out there to back up these perceptions as fact, and as the standard operating model for most of the 'freemium' services on the web.

If you want to learn more, you can start by going to the web site for The Electronic Frontier Foundation, http://www.eff.org, and reading about their most popular concerns and how they are trying to make the internet a better, safer place for all users.

I wish I could help more, and will step down from the soapbox lest I get pelted for my heresy. :)

UkeCan1
01-13-2016, 05:02 AM
Well, it's 7 comments now - I just added one. Your "Can Can" is fantastic, Dan!

Very sad about your lost comments ... I hope they come back. Since some methods are at least showing that 8 missing comments exist, maybe G/YT will sort itself out eventually and they'll reappear.

I hope everyone will go leave Dan some nice comments - the video is wonderful (and very short - won't take you long).

https://youtu.be/Q5BIuo4Q8s4

I disagree that bugs like this are evidence that Google doesn't care. I'm not arguing that they do care ... of course they are a big corporation and motivated by profit ... I think that's a given. Just that bugs showing up don't demonstrate that. I'm amazed with a system this mammoth and complicated that we don't see more bugs like this all the time. Whatever else is going on with the big G, it's pretty freakin' amazing that a resource like this exists for free, and that it works as well as it does as much as it does.

And yeah, it sucks when there are bugs like this. And yeah, they surely have their own interests at heart before ours. (But I think their interests also include keeping things working as well as possible for their users - that benefits them too. And they surely balance it with other competing interests.) And yeah, there are also some huge benefits to us of what they do. And yeah, some may believe the costs are not worth the benefits ... and some may decide for themselves that (for the moment, at least) they are. And Booli, I really appreciate all the very important and useful info you've been giving us on how to keep ourselves as safe as possible from the costs!

bonesoup
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Well now I'm embarrassed, like, a lot. Thank you Wendy.

Booli, what, you didn't try it on Lynx?? Just kidding of course. I agree with your post to BEV. I actually put some videos of myself playing traditional (old and free of copyright) songs on archive.org for reasons along those lines.

Ok I'm done bumping this thread. Somebody else please take over!

Booli
01-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Well now I'm embarrassed, like, a lot. Thank you Wendy.

Booli, what, you didn't try it on Lynx?? Just kidding of course. I agree with your post to BEV. I actually put some videos of myself playing traditional (old and free of copyright) songs on archive.org for reasons along those lines.

Ok I'm done bumping this thread. Somebody else please take over!

FYI, while I quoted BEV in my reply, I was responding to what she said for the sake of everyone here and not specifically to her, for that I would have sent a PM. I hope BEV does not feel I was trying to single her out or anything.

If I've caused any distress, please accept my humble apology for doing so, as this was never my intent.

Lynx? HAHA and no, hell no. Back in the very early days of true, direct and home access to the internet when the WWW was not yet commercialized (HTML 1.0), I had used Lynx until Spyglass Mosaic, and later Netscape came along...

I never wanna go back to Lynx, however it is actually used quite a lot for the baseline reference upon which other software is created for screen reader software for blind folks to access the web.

In those early days of the internet, Gopher, Archie, FTP were used to grab files and PINE was used for email.

Everything was in a terminal prompt or 'DOS mode' back around 1991 or so and FidoNet was the bridge between many Dialup BBS's and the internet. This was BEFORE CompuServe, Genie, Prodigy and AOL services became popular....

bonesoup: did YOU use Lynx or any of the other programs I mentioned above?

Yes, I have been ONLINE for a LONG time. :old:

UkeCan1
01-14-2016, 01:40 AM
bonesoup: did YOU use Lynx or any of the other programs I mentioned above?

Yes, I have been ONLINE for a LONG time. :old:

I was on ARPAnet email in 1980, long before it became the internet. Before domains and DNS and stuff made it all easy and magic, and you had to know and address the actual server-to-server route from your server to your correspondent and back again with long bang (!) paths. So it could take some research to figure out how to get your email to your friend in California, or your dad back home in New Jersey (when I was in Massachusetts) ... and to make sure they could reply, which might take a slightly, or entirely, different path. (And sometimes a path would stop working, or you'd discover a better (shorter, faster, or more reliable) one.) I used to harvest bang paths to various places off of Usenet newsgroup posts - that was the best source of them I found.

I missed the earliest days of the web while backpacking around southeast Asia and Australia in 1989 to early '91. I settled in to a brief stint doing in-house system administration at Sun Microsystems in Sydney in mid-'91 (for several scattered Sydney offices, but also other distant parts of Aus, and of course we also communicated with the mothership back in California) ... but I don't recall using the web at that job ... and we used Sun's native windowed apps for email and such (and still bang paths ... some of which I administered at that job).

Then I traveled some more and landed back in the US and more sys-admin-ish stuff in early '-95. I worked for Princeton Telecom for much of '95, a pioneer of pay-by-phone and online banking (it was mostly by phone at that point, since there was still not a ton of "online" yet) ... our backend was a couple of lame cobbled-together Unix servers, and our office and operations were all PC's (and there too, mostly, until I came along and insisted on modernizing and standardizing new purchases from then on, really ancient equipment). Then I supported a bunch of early web sites for the Hearst corporation and many of its publications worldwide at the Hearst New Media Center from late '95 to early '97. I think Netscape was the thing by then. But yeah, I remember a bit of Lynx and Pine and Gopher and such. (There are other names I'm wanting to drop here, but my memory of those ancient times is dim.)

I still use FTP (not directly though - there are apps for that now-days) for getting stuff to my own web sites, and for sharing things too large or extensive for Dropbox, which has recently replaced it for most sharing purposes.

Anyway, for all its costs and dangers and evils, the world of today, and all the easy, immediate access it provides, and the speed with which it's developed, is all pretty amazing to me. I'm grateful every day to the wonder of YouTube and the WWW, without which we wouldn't be here having this discussion. No YouTube -> no Seasons ... this whole area of this forum and all the ways it's changed many of our lives, would not even exist.

And yeah, there are tremendous costs ... and I'm also grateful for every bit of advice on how to protect ourselves from them! Booli, and/or Dan, do you maybe (or could you maybe) have something written up, or a simple straightforward resource to point to, like step-by-step guidelines for how to do that? (I don't have time to read EFF and figure it all out myself, but maybe they have such a thing?)

Croaky Keith
01-14-2016, 02:29 AM
.....talking about those old apps, I still quite often use wget to download stuff, just sayin'. :)

UkeCan1
01-14-2016, 02:32 AM
.....talking about those old apps, I still quite often use wget to download stuff, just sayin'. :)

Do tell! For stuff you can't download any other way, you mean? 'Cause I am endlessly running into stuff like that. Tell more about how/when you use that.

Booli
01-14-2016, 03:44 AM
I was on ARPAnet email in 1980, long before it became the internet. Before domains and DNS and stuff made it all easy and magic...

That's a great story Wendy. Glad there are more of us internet 'greybeards' here on UU. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

And yeah, there are tremendous costs ... and I'm also grateful for every bit of advice on how to protect ourselves from them! Booli, and/or Dan, do you maybe (or could you maybe) have something written up, or a simple straightforward resource to point to, like step-by-step guidelines for how to do that? (I don't have time to read EFF and figure it all out myself, but maybe they have such a thing?)

I will take a look at my tome of bookmarks and share the best (and most current) instructions I can find since it would be redundant for me to reiterate it from scratch when so many others have already done so, possibly more eloquently than I could at the moment.

Keep in mind that this is a moving target as technology evolves, and as we find better tools to protect our privacy and block them from tracking us, they push forwards with newer and more invasive methods all the time. Stay tuned for some links...

Booli
01-14-2016, 03:58 AM

Do tell! For stuff you can't download any other way, you mean? 'Cause I am endlessly running into stuff like that. Tell more about how/when you use that.

wget and another program called curl, are Linux/Unix/Mac command-line programs (no GUI), think like old MS-DOS commandline, that run in a 'terminal' program, and they require certain parameters to be passed when invoked, minimally the source file (with full network path) that you wish to download and the destination where you want it saved.

The main thing about these programs is that their operation can be used in a script in an automated way, whereas other methods such as ftp, sftp, ssh, rsync, etc are not primarily designed for automation, and are designed for a more interactive use.

However, there's nothing stopping you from using wget and curl interactively, and both of them can use the HTTP (or web) protocols (port 80) in addition to port 21 for ftp, port 22 for sftp/ssh, and others.

wget and curl also easily pass through most corporate firewalls since they will be seen as 'web traffic' (if using port 80) when the corporate IT infrastructure has blocked the other transport ports for security reasons.

If you feel really geeky, you can read a version of the linux manpages for wget and curl here (there might be slightly different syntax for other *nix flavors):

http://man.cx/wget

http://man.cx/curl

and wikipedia has some historical context and both geeky as well as non-geeky explanations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

01-15-2016, 12:58 AM
well my firefox has basically given up the ghost now for youtube! i'm having to go to internet explorer for youtube itself, and to be able to see embedded vids here on UU

what i know about techie issues can be written in big writing on the back of a very small stamp, i'm assuming that firefox will fix this at some point, i just googled and lots of firefox users are having probs with youtube

booli and anyone else who responded in a fab way, apologies that it all goes over my head!!!!!

Croaky Keith
01-15-2016, 01:32 AM
I haven't been following this thread, but do you have HTML5 enabled in Firefox, there was a period when I had to go between 'normal' & HTML5 viewing.

Check out this link, it might or might not help.
https://www.youtube.com/html5

redpaul1
01-15-2016, 03:22 AM
One thing I find weird about Google Chrome on Windows10 is that I can't leave comments on FB. I type them, press 'Enter' & nada. I have to go over to MS Edge. So question to all is, are the YT issues a combination of browser, possible undocumented updates to YT and operating system?

Tootler
01-15-2016, 06:04 AM
My daughter is having problems with Google Chrome on Windows 10. She can't get it to load. She's tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no success. It simply doesn't start. Looks like there's problems with Chrome.

Booli
01-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Sadly, I've got nothing for the last few issues as the moment. I've never used Chrome, nor ANY version of Windows since XP, nor ANY MS browser since at least 2005 when I switched to Mac, and will do my best to avoid ever touching any of that ever again.

Currently my main computer runs Xubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS, and I use Firefox with a bunch of plugins to block ads, block TRACKING and block web-based malware.

See included pictures here:

https://i.imgur.com/sP1h4bY.png
https://i.imgur.com/1PIo8tA.png
MOST of the above add-ons REQUIRE that you go into the settings/Options and CONFIGURE them to work in order to get the best use out of them. However the details for doing this are far beyond the scope of this thread.

Occasionally I see glitches with various web sites, and I find that if I PURGE browser cookies, CLEAR the Cache, and then completely CLOSE down the browsers, wait like a FULL MINUTE to restart it, then MANY issues go away. On Windows, it is likely that AFTER you close the browser in the sequence above, that you need to reboot, since Windows (by design) is less tolerant that Mac or Linux with certain browser-relates issues...

bonesoup
01-25-2016, 02:05 AM
Update: Ok so my channel continues to have glitches. I decided not to comment this past week and only give out likes. This made little difference. On my Community / Comments page, my video from season 205 has 2 comments from you fine folks missing. However when I go direct to the video page itself, all the comments appear below the video as they should.

This is different from season 204, when comments disappeared from both the Community / Comments page and the video page itself.

So I'm going to try one more thing this week (season 206). I'm going to install the Clear Cache extension. Cache is not something I'm currently managing. Thanks Booli.

Even though it probably doesn't matter, I'll continue to just give likes this week. But I will watch all your fantastic videos - just know that one like is from me!

Booli
01-25-2016, 05:06 AM
Update: Ok so my channel continues to have glitches. I decided not to comment this past week and only give out likes. This made little difference. On my Community / Comments page, my video from season 205 has 2 comments from you fine folks missing. However when I go direct to the video page itself, all the comments appear below the video as they should.

This is different from season 204, when comments disappeared from both the Community / Comments page and the video page itself.

So I'm going to try one more thing this week (season 206). I'm going to install the Clear Cache extension. Cache is not something I'm currently managing. Thanks Booli.

Even though it probably doesn't matter, I'll continue to just give likes this week. But I will watch all your fantastic videos - just know that one like is from me!

Cache Status is the one I have enabled as per above and it's cleaner and uses less RAM than the other, Also remember that clearing the cache, DOES NOT clear the browser cookies, you need a separate extensions for that, and that's where Cookiekeeper comes in. Both dead-simple to use, and will not bog-down your computer by eating all available RAM.

For those that dont know why it's important to 'manage' these parts of your internet browser dilligently, Cache and Cookies are two of the ways that BookFace, Tweety, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft TRACK YOUR HABITS on the internet, thus building a PROFILE of you, and selling your information to advertisers (and various govt agencies). Ignore this information at your own peril.