Whinges About the Web

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Rather than clog up someone's season with posts about gripes you have with YouTube or Google or Vimeo or Androids or PCs or Macs or .....
why not post them here?

Oh yeah.
My Message Bell on YouTube seems to have stopped showing that I have message waiting to read too.
I did get email notification though.
The joys of Google I suppose.

Good idea Brian and sorry!

Good idea, Brian. I have similar worries to Rob about setting up a second account.

My whinge for today? Who is monitoring all our internet traffic and why? Today I got a suggested "link to a friend" on Linkedin. But curiously it was a friend that I had googled a few weeks back, but not taken any further, i.e. I did not contact him. So this suggestion would indicate that Linkedin was being informed as to who I had been searching for on Google! Wheels within wheels! The only common connection between us is NOT listed on my Linkedin profile!

I seem to have a second You Tube channel by default. My original Tootlingeoff one, I set up before You Tube was taken over by Google so it's my original You Tube channel. When Google started with all this G+ business and with trying to persuade us to use our own names rather than the aliases we all use, it set me up a channel in my own name. So it's there but I never use it so it's just sitting there.

I have been considering a separate channel/account for my trad music stuff - though more for audio only. I have a Sound Cloud account which they recently added an extra hour of uploads to which I use for some of it but I have also considered Bandcamp. Vimeo is another possibility. I'll have to think about it. Vimeo video links not showing on iPad/Android tablets is a nuisance, though. They should show up if you post a simple link, though whether they play or not, I don't know.

So this suggestion would indicate that Linkedin was being informed as to who I had been searching for on Google!

Informed for a price, naturally. How do you think Google makes all its money? If you don't want to participate, do your Google searches through the https://startpage.com portal, an anonymizing buffer that does not record your search history or IP address.

This is a good idea for a thread—there will be many, many contributors.
Should it be in General Discussion rather than Seasons, in order to reach more people?

This is a good idea for a thread—there will be many, many contributors.
Should it be in General Discussion rather than Seasons, in order to reach more people?

I put it here in the hope that seasonistas would post here rather than in a season (where sometimes the web troubles emerge and thus the comments can sort of take over the season thread).
On several occasions I have seen pages of comments about a web issue that pops up within a season sort of sidetrack that season for a while. Like this week.
If this thread is not used it will just fade into the back pages.

Last edited:
Informed for a price, naturally. How do you think Google makes all its money? If you don't want to participate, do your Google searches through the https://startpage.com portal, an anonymizing buffer that does not record your search history or IP address.

True. Or you could use DuckDuckGo which is a secure search engine and doesn't track you. Well, not until Google buys it?

I have a technical issue that's been peeving me for some time now. It's that I can't watch videos. It's constant and frustrating. My husband has gone over the computer several times, installed, cleaned whatever. Sometimes it seems to work okay and then bam right back to issues. Currently some videos play but most just go blank grey fuzzy screen and some play with no sound.

I have not been able to comment much lately for I usually try to comment on all videos I have time for. So, sorry my Seasonista friends if you think that I have been ignoring you, I'm not. Love you all :)

It's that I can't watch videos. It's constant and frustrating... Currently some videos play but most just go blank grey fuzzy screen and some play with no sound.
That's interesting, I had a similar problem some time ago (some seasonistas w/o sound). But I have to think some, maybe long time, how I solved it... I will tell.

Oh yeah.
My Message Bell on YouTube seems to have stopped showing that I have message waiting to read too.
I did get email notification though.
The joys of Google I suppose.

Noticed the same thing. I have to go to the Community/Comments to see the comments now.

Wasn't able to watch videos on YT this morning at home on my PC laptop(Chrome) but can on my Mac at work.
Just a pain really. YT clips just a black screen and the spinning dots in the middle.
I have a Mac at home so hopefully can use that for the rest of the season if the problem persists.

Is anyone else pissed off that Youtube now automatically play a follow up song to the one you've just heard? The amount of times I am getting to the end of a song, typing up my response and suddenly, it jumps to a new song and all my words of wisdom are gone and unrecoverable!

I wouldn't mind so much if they jumped to the next track by the artist/seasonista I was listening to, but they don't, it goes on to some bizarrely linked (by robots) track that is often a world away from anything I want to hear after the song I just heard! Grrrr.... Anyone know how to opt out of that?

Yep. Hate it. Almost as much as when you're typing away and you look up to see the screen saying "Do you want to update now or later"? and no sign of what you've been typing. That's when these little machines are most at risk of going out the window.

Is anyone else pissed off that Youtube now automatically play a follow up song to the one you've just heard? The amount of times I am getting to the end of a song, typing up my response and suddenly, it jumps to a new song and all my words of wisdom are gone and unrecoverable!

I wouldn't mind so much if they jumped to the next track by the artist/seasonista I was listening to, but they don't, it goes on to some bizarrely linked (by robots) track that is often a world away from anything I want to hear after the song I just heard! Grrrr.... Anyone know how to opt out of that?

Not just You Tube. Sound Cloud does the same thing.

I've only really noticed it on You Tube with playlists when you have to remember to disable the "Autoplay" button. Maybe it's a new feature and I have mostly been listening on my iPad App recently and that's annoying for the opposite. You click the link to the playlist, fine but then it's not displayed alongside or below the current video and you have somehow to get back to the playlist to go to the next video on the list and there doesn't seem to be a "Back" button on the tablet Apps.

Top Bottom