Go To Song:

JJFN

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a new member. I was wondering, what is your go to song. What I mean is when you pick up a different ukulele whether with a friend's ukulele or in a store, what do you play. Do you strum, do you pick, what do you do? I strum the first few chords of Blowin' in the Wind. How about you? If this has been covered before write this off to my newness!

I try to play something I know pretty well, so I give the uke a fair chance. Something like "Tennessee Waltz" or "Spanish Fandango" or "Bye Bye Blues". I don't torture most people in music stores with my voice.

I play the chords of a song written by a member of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble, "No Pressure", and fingerpick an arrangement by another member, "Truman Sleeps", a piece from the movie "The Truman Show".

Welcome to UU and there are always new threads of covered subjects, so no worries.

I really don't have one "go to" song. I have a few songs that I have memorized and I'll play them, or the intro licks to Five Foot Two/Tiptoe, or Margaritaville, maybe Dream A Little Dream. Maybe a little 12th Street Rag.

If I am checking out ukes in a store I will finger pick Spanish Fandago. Then I play Five Foot Two, Alices Restaurant or As tears go by, yes that is a Rolling Stones song on ukulele. I want to hear single notes, a softly strummed song and also something on the faster more aggressive side

Last edited:
Haven't memorized any songs yet so I fall back on strumming 12 bar blues in C for chords and a short intro to Soul Cake for intonation and sustain.

9+ out of ten times it's either Beatles' Here Comes the Sun or Elton John's Rocket Man

On Fire by Troy Fernandez. Or Summer Camp written by UUs own DeG.

I'm sure people who didn't get to weigh in on this question the last time it appeared will want to post in this thread, but here's some interesting reading from a thread like this that appeared in 2013.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?83960-What-s-Your-quot-Go-To-quot-Song

True. But songs change! My go-to song changes as I get better. Or I learn a more fun one. Although I don't think I'll ever find a more fun one than On Fire. It has it all. I learned 7 new techniques when learning it.

Currently...Your Cheatin' Heart & The Rose - the latter is the same thing repeated three times so there is a little fingerpicking thrown in, too.

I just ad lib in the key of G.

Right now it is "Thunder Road" or "From Four Until Late" or "Tears in Heaven".

Tiptoe Through The Tulips at a slightly different rhythm.

People write me every now and then to ask me what my demo video songs are.
They never seem to believe me when I tell them Tiptoe Through the Tulips until they try it out themselves.

I'll do Hallelujah, because it's the only song I can definitely remember without reading the chords, and I'll pick No Surprises and Man Who Sold the World.

I'm sure as I get better and memorise more stuff...

If it is a high-G uke, then I play Guava Jam. If a low G, then White Sandy Beach or Somewhere Over the Rainbow.(Brittni's version, not Iz's)

Top Bottom