Arpeggios, broken chords, & Strumming frustration

IamNoMan

Reaction score
I am having a devil of a time trying to learn anything more then simple DUDU strumming patterns. I don't have too much problem with a simple split stroke patterns or banjo strumming patterns - my thumb is a little hyper-active though.

What I find my self doing is using arpeggios (triplets), or broken chords (typically hammer-ons and pull-offs) to maintain proper rhythm. This is OK so far as it goes and most helpful when other musicians are playing too fast for me to keep up with the chord changes but it is most frustrating when I trying to learn Ukulele.

I need some help here and "don't worry, be happy" doesn't quite cut it. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Sometimes, isolating one hand can be a good thing. Just work on a strum or pattern with the right hand and don't worry about changing chords in the left. Or, work on challenging chord progressions with just the left hand and don't worry about the strumming/picking in the right.

Working just one hand allows you to really concentrate on those specific things. It also helps me to take it incredibly slow - and I don't enjoy slowing it waaaay down, usually, but it sure does help.

Top Bottom