Amp for Ukulele

bof

Reaction score
Okay, @ those of you, who play applauses or other ukuleles with active pick ups, what amp do you use? What can you recommend to me?

I recently bought an Applause and so my budget is not exactly the highest at the momment. Furthermore, I don't need it for the stage or anything like that.
thanks for your answers

I use a roland micro cube. They're very reasonably priced and roland makes some of the cleanest amps on the market. It isn't specifically an acoustic amp, so there are feedback issues, but I've had the same issues with a specifically acoustic amp. It has some effects on it too which are very nice, they could ALMOST replace a pedal. Anyhow, they go for around $125 at Guitar Center. I see 'em at Pawn Americas all the time too.

I use a roland micro cube. They're very reasonably priced and roland makes some of the cleanest amps on the market. It isn't specifically an acoustic amp, so there are feedback issues, but I've had the same issues with a specifically acoustic amp. It has some effects on it too which are very nice, they could ALMOST replace a pedal. Anyhow, they go for around $125 at Guitar Center. I see 'em at Pawn Americas all the time too.

does it sound good when you hook up an ukulele to it?

does it sound good when you hook up an ukulele to it?

For the "acoustic" setting, the volume output is pretty darn low for whatever reason w/o a pre amp of some sort. I have a passive Markley pick-up. On all the other settings, it is fairly loud. I really like my micro cube over all...:D

I think it does, your mileage may vary. Just tote your uke with you and go check one out at a local music store. Most anyone, even the little guys around here, carry 'em.

Crate makes an incredible little acoustic amp--beautiful, full tone and really quiet:

Im going to jump on this thread to get email notification. i am also in the market for an amp for my ukulele. I have hooked it up to an amp and it didnt sound that good, but maybe cause it wasnt for accoustic.

Howlie Boy:cool:

I think that having an active pickup makes a big difference. My uke has an active and sounds fine through the Cube, even on the acoustic setting. Again, this is all personal preference. I'm not trying to do "traditional uke" very much. I'm using pedals and effects. It's quite neat because by using an acoustic electric instead of a straight electric it really keeps the "plunk" of the uke. To get the best results with a non-acoustic amp though, I think a soundhole cover is very necessary.

thanks for your answers guys

Heard good things about the Roland Micro Cube. However I heard that it doesn'T always fit with acoustic instruments. However there seems to be no other good low budget acoustic amp available. Tell me if I'm wrong. So as temporary solution I decided to buy the danelectro honeytone miniamp until my budget grows again to buy a good acousic amp. Thought its necessary to have a portable mini-amp if I'm on a trip or anything like that.
Nevertheless I would still like to hear your recommendings bout amps for acoustic ukuleles.

What is your purpose for the amp? Louder tone for recording? Playing live? Etc?

i have a vox DA5 which is often compared with the roland microcube. i've never tried BOTH of them, or any other amp for that matter so i can't say that the DA5 if better or worse than anything else but it does have a lot of effects (11, several are that of which are combined effects of those that are already available through the amp, like chorus + delay, flanger + reverb, etc) that you can apply without getting pedals. you also have 10 different "styles" that you can choose from. Some of them include crunch, higain, blues, drive, and a clean setting. i like it a lot and have fun when i want to play around with my uke even more hehe

Louder tone, recording, use of effect devices and pedals

I might suggest buying a simple mixer (and later a good preamp pedal for more flexibility). You could get the mixer for under a $100.

For recording you will have a microphone input, for a better recording tone than the pickup will give you as well as other options for recording percussion singing etc. If you want to "Play Loud Ukulele" :p you can plug the mixer in to any amplifier you have lying around... you could even hook up your computer speakers or use headphones (for late @ night practice sessions ).

Bonus is that you can have both mic and pickup tones and mix them together as well as the ability to EQ the signals for even more tonal variation. Just plug into your sound card and rock and roll.

if you want an amp for the cool factor of being able to plug in and feel like a rock star, which is definitely fun, the Roland amps are good. I have heard good reviews for the Vox DAs (model #?)

To simplify even more, you could get a line 6 pod (for tons of effects) which is made for guitar but very useable for uke if you like that kind of thing, or if you are good with computers some of their new Toneport recording stuff which has Acoustic settings and all that other good stuff(effects/amp/cab simulation/microphone simulation/etc.). I used to use a UX2 when I was strapped for room while I was in school.

Last edited:
Yeah thought about a mixer too. I have an audio interface (Tascam) already which also serves as a guitar preamp for the computer, but I don't like to amp my ukulele via my pc, thats just not very handy. I also have a studio microphone (rode NTA-1).
But yeah as you guessed correctly, I like to plug my ukulele into an amp and play loud and with effects and so on.
So the Vox is for acoustic guitars? Or do I get a bad sound output if I use it for my ovation?

Anyway thanks for your detailed answer

We used to use a lot of Marshall amps when we first got started.

i have a vox DA5 which is often compared with the roland microcube. i've never tried BOTH of them, or any other amp for that matter so i can't say that the DA5 if better or worse than anything else but it does have a lot of effects (11, several are that of which are combined effects of those that are already available through the amp, like chorus + delay, flanger + reverb, etc) that you can apply without getting pedals. you also have 10 different "styles" that you can choose from. Some of them include crunch, higain, blues, drive, and a clean setting. i like it a lot and have fun when i want to play around with my uke even more hehe

how much was it and where did you get it?

Top Bottom