New Canuck Member

Canada Jim

Reaction score
I believe I must have joined this site a while ago and then forgotten it. I have been following and contributing for about a week now.

When I was about 15, a cousin left a ukulele at our house by accident and I learned 3 chords and the song "Froggie Went A Courting" and soon switched to guitar and abandoned the uke.
Flash forward about 50 years and I'm at a party playing some music with my friends when a fellow named David Newland comes in with a shiny metal reso-uke. I admired it and he asked if I'd like to give it a try. I'm sure he meant for one song or maybe two, but he ended up playing the guitar for the rest of the night and I was hooked on the uke.

I have played guitar, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, Autoharp and several other instruments in various musical groups and in various genres since my debut with The Rovers Three in a church basement hootenanny in 1960, but one of the groups I play in now, The Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band, is the first time I've played the ukulele for an audience. I now own a few ukuleles and banjoleles and the instrument in the photo is an old S.S.Stewart tenor banjo with nylgut strings tuned gCEA (with a capo at the 2nd fret to avoid string breakage).

MLC&.jpg

An instrument that I thought of as a toy a short time ago has started occupying more and more of my time and I now realise you can do a lot more than just strum chords to back up your singing. It's a legitimate musical instrument.

Last edited:
Well hell Jim, welcome to the biggest ukulele hootenanny in the world. Glad you joined us. Look forward to hearing, and hearing about your many instrumental adventures, especially with your new ukes.

Welcome! It sounds like you have a lot of experiences to share.

Hey Guy, Welcome.
I like the bit with the tenor banjo. I think I try that myself.

The MLC Jug Band has a wide age span. The configuration in the photo above is the group who appeared on our CD. In this group we have a 45 year age span. Jimmy Bowskill, holding the fiddle to my right, just turned 25. Jimmy and I have been playing together whenever we get the chance for 7 or 8 years. Ian, on the trombone, and Will on the washboard, are a year or two older than Jimmy. Ted is in his late fifties and we have been playing together in different groups and as a duo fairly regularly for about 25 years. I just turned seventy. Since all of the young guys play in several groups and spend time on tour, Ted and I have a pool of musicians from which to choose if we have gigs when these guys are not available.

Welcome to UU! I love the wide variation in people on the site. With your background you will fit right in!

Welcome from south of the border, glad you joined in. Does your group have any vids posted?

Enjoy and keep us posted

You just fell in with a great group of people.....welcome!
Will look forward to seeing a video or three.
Enjoy my friend.

Welcome aboard.

Top Bottom