Wound C strings, recommendations to replace FC third string?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I've got a low action tenor that could benefit from a wound C string (3rd string). The fluorocarbon string gets a little buzzy when I play hard. The 1,2 and 4 strings are fine and I like them, only the 3rd string buzzes. Yes, I could make a new taller saddle, but I'd prefer a wound 3rd.

Are there any wound C strings available, like there are G-strings from Fremont or Aquila? I can't recall any.

Or, do you have a guitar string recommendation? I figure there must be a Savarez string that will do the job.

Thanks.

do you have a guitar string recommendation?
For the price of a cheap set of generic nylon guitar strings, maybe from eBay or similar, you can have a variety of gauges to experiment with and a few odd lengths of thinner/thicker string for future instances. Having decided what gauge you need, taking into account both tension and intonation, if you feel the "cheap" string might be advantageously replaced with something a little more expensive, (or when it finally fails) you'll be fairly confident you can order the right size :)

I use Southcoast HML-RW and those have a wound C string.

Good idea. Thanks. Does Dirk sell just the wound 3rd? I only want to change the 3rd.

For the price of a cheap set of generic nylon guitar strings, maybe from eBay or similar, you can have a variety of gauges to experiment with and a few odd lenguths of thinner/thicker string for future instances. Having decided what gauge you need, taking into account both tension and intonation, if you feel the "cheap" string might be advantageously replaced with something a little more expensive, (or when it finally fails) you'll be fairly confident you can order the right size :)

I was hoping someone might have already done this. But, I'll probably get a couple wound bass singles, thicker than the Savarez I use for the low g, and experiment like you suggest. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Hodge, South Coast does sell just the wound C string. They go so far as to have wound C strings to match up with their different sets of FC strings, ie Heavy, Heavy Med., Medium etc.

I received my Pono ET-PC just this Tuesday and I had Andrew string it with SC mediums with a wound C string and I am loving, I mean really loving the sound.

Thanks Dave. I didn't realize SouthCoast also sold singles. Time to place an order.:)

Just found this GHS Ukulele Aluminum Wound C 3rd for under $2. This is a low cost option.

Last edited:
I use Southcoast HML-RW and those have a wound C string.

That's the set on my KoOlau. Yep.

So if Staci and I both use it, Hodge, then look no further: you must, too. ;)

Hey Hodge, South Coast does sell just the wound C string. They go so far as to have wound C strings to match up with their different sets of FC strings, ie Heavy, Heavy Med., Medium etc.

I received my Pono ET-PC just this Tuesday and I had Andrew string it with SC mediums with a wound C string and I am loving, I mean really loving the sound.

Good to hear you are enjoying it. I thought it sounded great.

That's the set on my KoOlau. Yep.

So if Staci and I both use it, Hodge, then look no further: you must, too. ;)

Thanks Steve, I already have a HML-RW set (with a Fremont soloist) on my Moore Bettah. It is an awesome low g set. I was just looking for a single wound C string. For some reason I didn't know South Coast sold singles.

BTW the Alohi reentrant strings with a wound C sound great on my spruce top Ko'olau for the bell/ chime like sound in high g, especially when plugged in.

Thanks Steve, I already have a HML-RW set (with a Fremont soloist) on my Moore Bettah. It is an awesome low g set. I was just looking for a single wound C string. For some reason I didn't know South Coast sold singles.

BTW the Alohi reentrant strings with a wound C sound great on my spruce top Ko'olau for the bell/ chime like sound in high g, especially when plugged in.

Thanks for the tip on Alohis. I've experienced all KoOlau strings going out of tune on me--often and oddly going sharp--just like a thread that I think Oldepharte had on here a couple years ago. Two sets tried, one was Manhana KoOlau (sp) and man, keeping in tune was a bear even when settled. Did you find this, Hodge? Maybe it's just me. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip on Alohis. I've experienced all KoOlau strings going out of tune on me--often and oddly going sharp--just like a thread that I think Oldepharte had on here a couple years ago. Two sets tried, one was Manhana KoOlau (sp) and man, keeping in tune was a bear even when settled. Did you find this, Hodge? Maybe it's just me. Thanks.

Yes Steve, the Alohi strings need to be at playing temperature. I play the uke for a while or hold the fretboard with both hands to warm the strings, then check tuning. If I do it this way I rarely need to adjust the string tuning. It also took a while for them to stretch out when they were new.

When I first got the Alohi strings I would tune immediately and begin to play then have to retune because they were sharp. Then I will repeat that cycle the next time I picked it up, because it sounded a little flat when cold. So I finally figured out just to play them a little bit first to warm them up.

Yes Steve, the Alohi strings need to be at playing temperature. I play the uke for a while or hold the fretboard with both hands to warm the strings, then check tuning. If I do it this way I rarely need to adjust the string tuning. It also took a while for them to stretch out when they were new.

When I first got the Alohi strings I would tune immediately and begin to play then have to retune because they were sharp. Then I will repeat that cycle the next time I picked it up, because it sounded a little flat when cold. So I finally figured out just to play them a little bit first to warm them up.

Excellent advice from your experience. Perhaps I will try them again (I do have at least three sets, unwound, in my string box even now). I'll have to keep in mind, regarding temperatures, that (a) winter is approaching, (b) Hodge lives in Georgia, I live in Chicago (brrr), and (c) Hodge is a better player than I. lol

Just found this GHS Ukulele Aluminum Wound C 3rd for under $2. This is a low cost option.

Hi Hodge,

Do you have a link for this one from GHS?

I too have been looking for a similar solution, and wanted to see something OTHER than from Southcoast. I have nothing against them, but wanted to see more options, if they exist.

The closest thing I have found so far, is this one:
GHS Vanguard Classics 2503 - 3rd string (g) .020, Single String $2.09

NOTE: this is 'smoothwound' so as to reduce string noise, which I prefer.

and while it is sold as a 'guitar' string, we all know the story about mixing and matching with different little envelopes but the item inside being labelled for 'guitar' or 'ukulele' or 'oud' or whatever, is in fact the SAME manufactured item, and it's been discussed at nauseam here how you can use a classical 'D' (4th) string for a low-G, so why cant you use a classical 'G' (WOUND 3rd) as a 'C' string on uke?

Also, it's kind of funny that I asked a similar question back in August, and got only a few replies - maybe it got buried for when you hit the 'What's NEW' button, or maybe I'm just not popular enough to inspire conversation - ha ha :)

Anyway, I'm glad that Hodge brought up the topic again and at least Hodge's thread is getting some traffic now.

With the combined almost dog-years of experience here on UU, I thought that many folks would have either questioned this 'wound C string' option previously, and/or tried it and already found MORE solutions.

I am eager to read future comments in this thread. :)

EDIT - forgot to mention that D'Addario also has several single classical guitar strings that you can buy cheap and use maybe for this purpose, maybe the 0.020" or 0.022" would work for a wound C string: click here.

EDIT 2 - also La Bella, has Silverplated wound and Golden wound single strings: click here

Last edited:
Hi Hodge,

Do you have a link for this one from GHS?

Hi Booli,

I found it at JustStrings.com. Here's a link: http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-h-t13.html

From other manufactures data, it seems the wound C should be around .034-.036 inches in diameter. The GHS wound C diameter is at 0.035" and of the right material, aluminum. This is similar to the wound C Alohi string .036 aluminum.

To get 1 string from SC it will be about $10.90 mailed. So, I might try the GHS first for $2.

Last edited:
Hi Booli,

I found it at JustStrings.com. Here's a link: http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-h-t13.html

From other manufactures data, it seems the wound C should be around .034-.036 inches in diameter. The GHS wound C diameter is at 0.035" and of the right material, aluminum. This is similar to the wound C Alohi string .036 aluminum.

To get 1 string from SC it will be about $10.90 mailed. So, I might try the GHS first for $2.

Hodge - thanks for the info and link.

I'm gonna try to get one of these strings as well and see how it plays. I'll update here when I do. :)

You will always have tuning issues when mixing metallic strings, wound or not; with plastic strings. THe co-efficient of thermal expansion is much greater for plastic vis a vis metal.

When I bring my banjo to an indoor jam it is typically in tune to itself but about 5c lower in pitch then concert pitch. I tune to pitch and about a half hour later my banjo is 5c higher than concert pitch retune and I usually good for the rest of the sessiun. THe same rational applies to all "plastic" strung instruments. If you mix and match metal and plastic strings you will be tuning the metal strings more often until the thermal expansion thingie I mentioned comes into equilibrium.

Got the GHS wound aluminum .035 string for C. It worked great, the slight buzz is gone. I like the tone better too.
Problem solved.

Top Bottom