PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Baritone?

iDavid
10-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Looking into getting a really nice baritone.

suggestions?

Jim Hanks
10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100544-FS-Mya-Moe-Baritone-RW-Wal-with-Upgrades

coolkayaker1
10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Mine on eBay. Lol. Wait, you're in Japan. Did you move, iDavid? :eek:

coolkayaker1
10-10-2014, 06:16 PM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100544-FS-Mya-Moe-Baritone-RW-Wal-with-Upgrades

Thanks, Jim. I can't believe no one wanted it at over $600 off new, which they could check on MM website to see their discount. Weird. Again, thanks, Jim.

Patrick Madsen
10-10-2014, 06:29 PM
The one Coolkayaker is selling is one of the best deals I've seen.

For myself, I own a Favilla Bari I really like for a deeper sound and also am keeping my fingers crossed on a Chennell archtop bari that should be done by late Dec. Jazzboxukes.com

sam13
10-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Jim. I can't believe no one wanted it at over $600 off new, which they could check on MM website to see their discount. Weird. Again, thanks, Jim.

It was too high brow for us Cretons. Lol. Good luck with the sale. I wanted it. But it was too far out of my league.

iDavid
10-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Mine on eBay. Lol. Wait, you're in Japan. Did you move, iDavid? :eek:

Been in Japan for close to eight years and Germany before that. I am an American, but move around... a bit

wayward
10-10-2014, 11:00 PM

I wanted it! I just couldn't afford it :( so I ended up with a Pono Mango Baritone. If you're looking for something lower in budget I can recommend the Pono MGB, David.

Raygf
10-11-2014, 12:06 AM
I picked up a LoPrinzi Model 2 solid mahogany in the Marketplace and it is an outstanding instrument.

iDavid
10-11-2014, 12:21 AM
I wanted it! I just couldn't afford it :( so I ended up with a Pono Mango Baritone. If you're looking for something lower in budget I can recommend the Pono MGB, David.

Did you try the other Pono Baritones? I wonder how it would compare to a cedar-top?

wayward
10-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Did you try the other Pono Baritones? I wonder how it would compare to a cedar-top?

I was able to compare it with a Pono Mahogany Baritone (that had more boom and bark & I preferred the smooth sound of the Mango) but not a cedar top, I'm afraid - though I would think that the tone is similar. I was drawn to this ukulele because of the sound sample on the HMS site and I found it to be a faithful representation of the tone when I played it, so listening to that should give you some idea: http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgb-mango-baritone-1445.html IMO it's a fab rhythm/jazz uke (which is what I wanted it for), and plays superbly right up the neck with great sustain - but I wouldn't choose it for lead playing (when I'd generally want more clarity and brightness)... though it may be suited to that with different strings on it (I have mahanas on it). I love it because some baritones sound like guitars with 2 strings missing to me, but this one is definitely a ukulele, & has a sound all of its own. Good luck with your search!

iDavid
10-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Sound sample is sweet and the price is just great!

iDavid
10-11-2014, 01:29 AM
but this one still has my attention....

http://vimeo.com/81702431

Doc_J
10-11-2014, 02:06 AM

Those Pono tenor guitars are really nice! But I didn't know if they were in stock.

I do have a Favilla baritone that I like very much. The neck is a little thick but the scale is my preferred 19 inch vs. 20 inch. I preferred it to a Kamaka HF-4. It has a very warm rich tone.

iDavid
10-11-2014, 02:12 AM
They are not in stock, but you can get on a waiting list.

coolkayaker1
10-11-2014, 02:18 AM

Go with what has your attention, David. There was a thread on that jumbo Bari, I'm sure you saw.

One factor to keep in mind for resale is that uke players generally shy away from bigger sizes and longer fretboards. There was a gorgeous baritone on UU three months ago that languished, a Pono, bc the fretboard was 21,5 inches. I agree with Hodge re fretboard. Traditional is always better for resale. I get a distinct "flavor of the month" vibe from the uke-guitars.

Of course, if you never sell it, moot point.

For me, if I was going that big, I'd get a guitar. Bigger ukes just sound "flabby" to me (where guitars do not, perhaps due to steel strings).

PS I use all nylon string SC reentrant on my Bari, and they sound great. That said, steel D sounds better on my other Bari. Hmm.

PhilUSAFRet
10-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Cool Mele tenor guitar (listed as a bari) on Ebay.

iDavid
10-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Go with what has your attention, David. There was a thread on that jumbo Bari, I'm sure you saw.

One factor to keep in mind for resale is that uke players generally shy away from bigger sizes and longer fretboards. There was a gorgeous baritone on UU three months ago that languished, a Pono, bc the fretboard was 21,5 inches. I agree with Hodge re fretboard. Traditional is always better for resale. I get a distinct "flavor of the month" vibe from the uke-guitars.

Of course, if you never sell it, moot point.

For me, if I was going that big, I'd get a guitar. Bigger ukes just sound "flabby" to me (where guitars do not, perhaps due to steel strings).

PS I use all nylon string SC reentrant on my Bari, and they sound great. That said, steel D sounds better on my other Bari. Hmm.

I have the same strings on my older Pono and dig them. One thing making me hesitate with the Pono TG is the scale length, not the overall size. It specs close in size to a Taylor mini which I like. However, not sure how it would sound with a reentrant tuning. I had more than a few ukes and never keep any of them linear for long.... perhaps should see if I like that first.

Those newer Ponos sound great.

Guess it come down to the old cash. Would love to get Kinnard Bari...

coolkayaker1
10-11-2014, 03:33 AM
I have the same strings on my older Pono and dig them. One thing making me hesitate with the Pono TG is the scale length, not the overall size. It specs close in size to a Taylor mini which I like. However, not sure how it would sound with a reentrant tuning. I had more than a few ukes and never keep any of them linear for long.... perhaps should see if I like that first.

Agree with everything you wrote. I, too, am re-entrant biased. The DGBE baritone, and I just bought one, still sounds foreign to my ear. I like it for aping the baritone videos that I enjoy (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67pbCPi8a8 ) And my experience, like DATS video, is that baritone is best for slower paced songs. I have never seen anyone "tear it up" on a baritone. Maybe I don;t get out enough. lol Sometimes I like to wail out, and tenor uke/shorter fretboard/scale allows for that.

I guess listening to too much re-entrant Jake can give a guy a re-entrant ear. lol. I completely agree with you--and as Hodge mentioned for him--I would not want a longer fretboard/scale length. Especially if dGBE re-entrant baritone will use non-wound strings (at least the sets I have seen). So, yeah, like your way of thinking, I would not opt for a longer scale (and again, that seems to be the bias based on past sales of used instruments that I have seen).

Agreeing also with you about the quality of Ponos, what about just buying one of those new Pono baritones from HMS? Give us your feedback.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-rbsh-pc-cedar-rose-baritone.html

Best of luck, iDavid. It sure is fun spending your money. LOL

dsummers
10-11-2014, 04:57 AM
I currently have 4 baritones that are excellent. 1960'ish Martin, Leonard Young (maple b/s, spruce top and pick-up), custom 5 string D body style Boat Paddle (Nara b/s, cedar top, MISI pick-up), and a Favilla. They are are great! The one I seem to gravitate to the most is the Favilla.

kvehe
10-11-2014, 05:25 AM
I love, love, love the baritone listed here:

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/forsale.html

strumsilly
10-11-2014, 05:55 AM
I've had a lot of baritones pass through my hands [Martin, Gibson,Pono,Lanikai], but my favorite is my Favilla[s]. 19 inch scale, slightly deeper body, aged solid mahogany, light build. I have 3, my favorite is tuned GCEA with southcoast linear. big sound, super easy to play. they also sound great with regular bari tuning [one has the Martin 630 set]

Tube
10-11-2014, 06:31 AM
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71755&d=1413044792

I love it this way: Semi gloss, no slotted headstock, Living Water strings dGBE.

sam13
10-11-2014, 08:35 AM
I've had a lot of baritones pass through my hands [Martin, Gibson,Pono,Lanikai], but my favorite is my Favilla[s]. 19 inch scale, slightly deeper body, aged solid mahogany, light build. I have 3, my favorite is tuned GCEA with southcoast linear. big sound, super easy to play. they also sound great with regular bari tuning [one has the Martin 630 set]

Thanks for posting. With this information one of my Tenor Pono is goin up for sale.
Am gonna get me a Pono Baritone and string it GCEA with SC.

Fired up!

coolkayaker1
10-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Am gonna get me a Pono Baritone and string it GCEA with SC.

Fired up!

I know it would sound "bigger", but don;t you already have a bunch of GCEA ukes, brother Simon?

sam13
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM
I know it would sound "bigger", but don;t you already have a bunch of GCEA ukes, brother Simon?

And your point is, Steve? I do. Bit I want another one. In Spruce/Rosewood. Would sell one of the tenors.

On that note, Craig Chee and Sarah Maisels have a new string offered from GHS for tenors. DGBE. Linear or re entrant. So I could have my Baritone tuning this way.

blue_knight_usa
10-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Vintage 1962ish Martin Mahogany, they are out there and that old wood sounds amazing.

iDavid
10-11-2014, 09:35 PM
I love, love, love the baritone listed here:

http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/forsale.html

I forgot about BP! Would like one of his D-style baritones. He has gone to a wider neck recently and am not sure if he is still taking custom orders.

BigD
10-12-2014, 08:05 PM
I love my 1950's harmony bari. Always what i reach for first,got it for a great price from a local member around where i live, couldnt be happier. Standard bari tuning but with no-wound reds, has a great warm bassy sound. Im lovin the bari so much im not far from putting my pono pro classic cedar acacia tenor up for trade. It just seems a shame to have such a great tenor sittin around while i play my harmony thats 7 times less expensive, and im curious to step into the world of higher end baritones!

iDavid
10-13-2014, 01:48 AM
I think I will start with the Pono TG and maybe a "regular" baritone afterwards.

sam13
10-13-2014, 06:14 AM
The standard tuning with a Baritone is DGBE, right?

What is the standard tuning of the new Pono TG?

iDavid
10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
The Pono Tg is tuned DGBE.

sam13
10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
The Pono Tg is tuned DGBE.

So then what is the appeal? Deeper tone or louder than a Baritone?

Just curious as I would like a Baritone and saw this and wondered perhaps I am looking for a Pono TG.

Jim Hanks
10-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Presumably. Plus the longer scale (23.5") if you like that - that would be 'con' in my book.

coolkayaker1
10-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Presumably. Plus the longer scale (23.5") if you like that - that would be 'con' in my book.

Me, too.

But, the beauty of life is our differences. G'luck with your four-string guitar, David. Please review it when you get it. Thanks.

iDavid
10-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Can't say the longer scale is trilling me, but I love the tone of the instrument. Most Baritones that I have played are a bit floppy on the Low-d. I have my old pono strung up high-d which taked care of that. To be honest, there are just too many great choices!

Rakelele
10-13-2014, 09:34 PM

Just curious as I would like a Baritone and saw this and wondered perhaps I am looking for a Pono TG.

Yes, the Pono TG is WAY louder and deeper than a "regular" Baritone (NUD: HUGE Ukulele from Pono (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100383-NUD-HUGE-Ukulele-from-Pono)). I think of mine as a Guitar made for Ukulele Players: It can be played like an Ukulele, but features the sound of a fully grown Guitar. So to me, this isn't really a replacement for a Baritone, but rather an intriguing addition. I think that this kind of crossover instrument would appeal to both people who look for an easier access to the Guitar as well as Ukulele enthusiasts who like to try out different sizes and tones.

sam13
10-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Can't say the longer scale is trilling me, but I love the tone of the instrument. Most Baritones that I have played are a bit floppy on the Low-d. I have my old pono strung up high-d which taked care of that. To be honest, there are just too many great choices!

So what strings are you using? I had a MB briefly and had it strung with Mahana's DGBE and to my memory they were not floppy. But you might like tighter tension.

Does anyone know what SC has for DGBE medium to high tension for Baritone?

sam13
10-14-2014, 04:10 AM
Yes, the Pono TG is WAY louder and deeper than a "regular" Baritone (NUD: HUGE Ukulele from Pono (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100383-NUD-HUGE-Ukulele-from-Pono)). I think of mine as a Guitar made for Ukulele Players: It can be played like an Ukulele, but features the sound of a fully grown Guitar. So to me, this isn't really a replacement for a Baritone, but rather an intriguing addition. I think that this kind of crossover instrument would appeal to both people who look for an easier access to the Guitar as well as Ukulele enthusiasts who like to try out different sizes and tones.

Yes ... makes sense ... a cross over instrument borrowing something from both instruments.

Recently I bought a Engelmann Spruce top Rosewood back Pono Tenor ... and LOVE THE TONE ... more than cedar ... so I am thinking a Baritone with the same configuration ... Possibly ... any other suggestions?

iDavid
10-14-2014, 04:16 AM
Yes ... makes sense ... a cross over instrument borrowing something from both instruments.

Recently I bought a Engelmann Spruce top Rosewood back Pono Tenor ... and LOVE THE TONE ... more than cedar ... so I am thinking a Baritone with the same configuration ... Possibly ... any other suggestions?

I was looking at a Cedar and Rosewood Baritone Pono and was/ am very tempted. Spruce does have that sparkle.

I've tried a few different low-d sets on my Baritone. Maybe floppy isn't the right description. Not sure I really like linear tuning on ukes which I guess could be a problem on the Pono TG. It isn't take I don't like linear, on second thought, just don't feel like home.

I could end up changing my mind... lol I see a space for both instruments. A 19 inch scale baritone dGBE and a TG Pono in DGBE.

iDavid
10-14-2014, 04:18 AM
Just gave a listen to this one http://www.theukulelesite.com/new-pono-rb-pc-s-baritone-pro-classic-radius-1.html

pretty special.... nice sparkle

coolkayaker1
10-14-2014, 04:34 AM
Just gave a listen to this one http://www.theukulelesite.com/new-pono-rb-pc-s-baritone-pro-classic-radius-1.html

I agree, wholeheartedly. That sound sample with Corey snaps. Spruce top eliminates any of the listlessness that plagues some baritones. Also, I love cutaways, especially on bigger instruments, iDavid. Why? There's enough string scale to vibrate even at high frettings. You can, actually, get a great sound from the uppermost frets, so why not be able to access them. That's a fine ukulele (as Sam13 said, from owning its tenor little brother).

Although the TG looks great, and some could argue that it is the best of both worlds (guitar and baritone), others might say it doesn't know what it wants to be and falls in the "gray zone" that is good at neither. If I was going to move to a parlor guitar scale, well, I'd get a parlor guitar and learn to play the two additional low strings--strings that are necessary to truly move that huge, non-uke soundboard.

Personally, one of the main reasons I adore ukes is for their percussive nature--that borne of the short scales. Regardless of tuning, the longer the scale, the less percussive, the less I like it.

Everyone likes something different. I doubt the TG will be popular (will it even continue to be manufactured, based on sales numbers? I don't know) with the uke crowd or the guitar crowd. It's a specialty instrument, certainly. Some adore the search for the right guitar-hybrid-baritone strings, etc. The "science" and uniqueness of the whole thing attracts some. And that's alright. I would hate thinking about those things.

Do review your TG, iDavid. So far, Rakelele, I think, is the only one to have owned and reviewed the TG. His opinion is very respected, and adding yours to the review mix will double the number of online reviews for the uniquely sized instrument. LOL The bright side: if you get one, you and Rakelele will be the undisputed, worldwide experts on TG ukes. :-) ;)

iDavid
10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
You people make me think too much.... back on the fence I go..lol

Stuntman
10-14-2014, 01:18 PM

I have one of these on the way to me (shipping notice a couple of days ago) to go with my spruce/acacia TG.

If you like playing tenor guitar, and enjoy that scale length and dealing with 4 instead of 6 strings, then the TG opens up some different sounds that you can only get with nylon.
That is what it is for me.

iDavid
10-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Do find the Spruce TG guitar to be overally bright?

Dan Uke
10-14-2014, 06:45 PM
It's all about the bass; bout the bass, no treble

Stuntman
10-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Do find the Spruce TG guitar to be overally bright?
Bright - yes, overly bright no, I don't think so - particulary once new strings have "played-in". I still have to try the south coast flatwound set which should add an element of additional warmth.

I would probably order a spruce/rosewood one if I were to order again (but who knows - I might be looking for a different sound by then) - and I have my pono spruce/rosewood baritone coming.

Garydavkra
10-16-2014, 10:00 AM
I have a Pono Acacia baritone and I like it a lot. I also play it a lot.:)

Garydavkra
10-16-2014, 10:06 AM

I was just looking at that yesterday! A tenor guitar with nylon strings!

Garydavkra
10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't know about the Pono TG not being popular. I looked at tenor guitars a long time ago but, since I own three guitars, I figured I didn't need one. I recently went on vacation and found a tenor guitar in a guitar shop. I had never seen one before so, I sat down with a Blueridge and a Gold Tone and had a blast. I walked out with a new tenor guitar. Now I find out that Pono has a tenor with nylon strings so... I just hope they go into production. Nylon strings are a lot more comfortable to play and I like the sound. But, that's just me.:)

I agree, wholeheartedly. That sound sample with Corey snaps. Spruce top eliminates any of the listlessness that plagues some baritones. Also, I love cutaways, especially on bigger instruments, iDavid. Why? There's enough string scale to vibrate even at high frettings. You can, actually, get a great sound from the uppermost frets, so why not be able to access them. That's a fine ukulele (as Sam13 said, from owning its tenor little brother).

Although the TG looks great, and some could argue that it is the best of both worlds (guitar and baritone), others might say it doesn't know what it wants to be and falls in the "gray zone" that is good at neither. If I was going to move to a parlor guitar scale, well, I'd get a parlor guitar and learn to play the two additional low strings--strings that are necessary to truly move that huge, non-uke soundboard.

Personally, one of the main reasons I adore ukes is for their percussive nature--that borne of the short scales. Regardless of tuning, the longer the scale, the less percussive, the less I like it.

Everyone likes something different. I doubt the TG will be popular (will it even continue to be manufactured, based on sales numbers? I don't know) with the uke crowd or the guitar crowd. It's a specialty instrument, certainly. Some adore the search for the right guitar-hybrid-baritone strings, etc. The "science" and uniqueness of the whole thing attracts some. And that's alright. I would hate thinking about those things.

Do review your TG, iDavid. So far, Rakelele, I think, is the only one to have owned and reviewed the TG. His opinion is very respected, and adding yours to the review mix will double the number of online reviews for the uniquely sized instrument. LOL The bright side: if you get one, you and Rakelele will be the undisputed, worldwide experts on TG ukes. :-) ;)

sam13
10-16-2014, 10:59 AM
I don't know about the Pono TG not being popular. I looked at tenor guitars a long time ago but, since I own three guitars, I figured I didn't need one. I recently went on vacation and found a tenor guitar in a guitar shop. I had never seen one before so, I sat down with a Blueridge and a Gold Tone and had a blast. I walked out with a new tenor guitar. Now I find out that Pono has a tenor with nylon strings so... I just hope they go into production. Nylon strings are a lot more comfortable to play and I like the sound. But, that's just me.:)

I was thinking ... NYLON STRINGS? ... but you bring up a really good point ... it is easier on the fingers ... thanks for the reminder.

Stuntman
10-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Nylon strings and a wider nut than most "standard" steel stringed tenor guitars. So if your coming from uke, you'll feel more at home. I guess you could call it a classical tenor guitar (as analagous to steel string guitar/tenor guitar)

TheCraftedCow
10-16-2014, 12:27 PM
I didn't read all six pages, so whoever praised Giannini of Brazil....I agree! If no one did, that's too bad, because they are a wonderful baritone. I am fortunate to have two.

Pippin
10-16-2014, 10:39 PM
BK-35 from Ohana or a Mainland Classic Mahogany.

Rakelele
10-20-2014, 01:07 AM
You people make me think too much.... back on the fence I go..lol

Have you made up your mind, David? You can't go wrong with either one, and there is no redundancy in having them both, in the end.

iDavid
10-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Have you made up your mind, David? You can't go wrong with either one, and there is no redundancy in having them both, in the end.

I am on the waiting list for the Ha’oi Nui, (Big Baritone/ Tenor Guitar) in Acacia and I look forward to getting it. I can also see getting a standard baritone after a bit. Am I completer sure... of course not.

I've got a few ukes to sell... and a mandolin.