String storage options?

JonThysell

Reaction score
Anyone have a good solution for sorting, storing, or otherwise organizing uke strings?

I keep my UAS in check by making sure that every uke I have has the best strings for that uke, which means I tend to have a lot of different string packs for testing purposes. Right now they're loose in a cardboard box, but I've had more than one occasion where I sat down to change some strings, only to discover that I was out of the particular set I wanted to use.

Any ideas?

My system is homemade and a bit crude but it works. I fashioned a cardboard box that is long, half the height of a standard string package and approx. the same width. I have cardboard dividers to seperate the different manufactures. This is like the old card file systems in the library of by gone days.

I bought a nice wooden box at a flea market. It was designed for some commemorative set of CDs from National Geographic and holds plenty of sets of strings.

String packs are generally a little smaller than a CD case, so basically anything designed for CD storage will work just fine. :)

I bought a small, see-through box with lid that I use. Works really well. Just wide enough so the pack of strings stay upright and end up "filed" like a card file system (anybody remember the old library system? ;-). I then organize them by size (soprano first, then concert, then tenor).

Am transitioning from a box to a large, zippered CD wallet. Easier to see without "flipping" through the box as with old records.

Nice ideas! Mine are in a vintage train case/overnight case.

I'm wondering...how long do strings last just sitting on a shelf? I know it's cheaper to order bulk and save on shipping, but I hesitate to have strings just sitting around. I had 2 sets of Martins sitting around for 6 mos. and was worried about them going bad.

As far as the OP's question...just make sure you have the strings before deciding to change them! Also, the CD case system sounds real good. But, again I'm hesitant to have a huge stock on hand myself. Would be nice, but...I would be changing strings constantly! ;-D

:shaka:

I keep mine in a beautiful cigar box. But I don't have many sets.

It never occurred to me that strings would go bad. Why would they?

It never occurred to me that strings would go bad. Why would they?
Generally they don't, but if would strings are exposed to air, the metal can oxidize. Same as when they're on an instrument.

Non-wounds (like nylon or fluorocarbons) could suffer if exposed to extreme heat.

Years ago I decided I like Augustine Blues for my classical guitar, and I bought like six sets at Guitar Center. The trebles (non-wounds) in every set had horrible intonation. Could have been a factory defect and they all came from the same bad batch. After I think it was three sets in a row, I just decided it wasn't worth wasting my time even putting another of those awful treble sets on and ditched the rest. The basses (wounds) were perfectly fine and I ended up using all of them. I've never bought a set of Augustines since.

I have an old wooden soap box from the flea market about the size of a CD box. I made some dividers and labeled them Baritone, soprano, concert, electric guitar, dulcimer, etc. Plus I put the in a spreadsheet how many sets I want to keep on hand by instrument and brand with a minimum (1 set in most cases) When one of sets hits its minimum, it's time to order, so I do a quick inventory to make sure the spreadsheet is up to date and then order what I need to get stocked back up.

I'll usually contact a friend to see if they need strings to split shipping with. Depending on what I need I'll usually order from juststrings or stringsbymail. I put the order in a spreadsheet with prices from each and buy from the cheapest.

I'll order strings for everything at once (guitar, ukes, bass, dulcimer, lap steel). Never had any issues with aging, I do rotate (FIFO). I have a friend that lives two short blocks from the ocean that plays pedal steel. He orders strings by the case and has no corrosion issues (they are all steel). Some of the strings come in sealed packages.

I figure I save in the shipping, as the only thing I can buy local are guitar strings.

Top Bottom