Old Harmony Uke gets a makeover

BigJay

Reaction score
Hello all, let me start by saying I have no experience in either playing or building instruments so I'm sure there are some things I did wrong, but it was a lot of fun and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I recently purchased an old Harmony uke from Ebay for my daughter to learn on and have fun with. I was originally planning on just putting on some new strings and giving it to her, but the bridge was worn out and wouldn't hold them so I ended up doing much more than just replacing strings. I had a lot of fun with this thing and it sounds great to me so I just thought I would share with you guys. The inlay on the back is rosewood, I didn't have a dremel so I did all the work by hand. The nut and saddle I made from deer anlter. The stain is some walnut stain I made, and the fretboard inlay is just braided copper wire.

12-3C3C25B4-1577459-800.jpg12-D4C39AAD-1733756-800.jpg12-1BE87610-2483479-800.jpg12-FB2332E8-1368974-800.jpg

Very nice! Your before picture looks like mine :)

How does it sound with the new frets?

Thanks. It sounds pretty good, without one with a plastic fretboard to compare to now it's hard to tell, but I do think it is a definate improvement.

Wow! That's taking a vintage uke a step beyond. Be sure to add a makers label inside so the great grandkids know.

Wonderful job. I just bought an old Harmony uke at a flea market abut a week ago just like your first photo. It seems to play very well for a $25 investment, so I haven't modified it in ay way. It still has the strings it came with.

I took this photo while it was still at the flea market.

harmony uke.jpg

Top Bottom