Scale length with angled bridge?

Psychsurf

Reaction score
I just realized one of the two bridges I have on hand right now has an angled saddle, and I'm not sure where to put it. If I'm making a 17" scale tenor uke, should it be 17" at the G string, or the A? Or the middle?

Thanks for any input!

2j3kxlk.jpg

An angled bridge like that would only work for a low G, or some other non-re-entrant tuning.

The angled saddle has a LOT of compensation in it. Nominally, the answer to your question is that the 17" would fall at the leading edge closest to the nut on the A string. The angled saddle would work on a linear, steel strung instrument. Steel strings need more saddle compensation than nylon/classical strings. It won't work at all on a nylon/classic string instrument unless you glued it on at an angle to straighten the slot.

I think that there is TOO much saddle compensation for even linear tuned classic strings. Half that slope might work well for linear tuned, classic strings.

Anthony

Last edited:
Dang, I was afraid of that. I got these from Hanalima like 4 years ago when I was stocking up to make a handful, and never really dug into the box to inspect everything. Now, of course, they don't even carry an ebony bridge anymore... Hmmm, might have to get creative here...

Well, thanks for the input just the same, guys!

Top Bottom