Ideas of what to do with a broken ukulele

kissing

Reaction score
One of my early stringed instruments was a Yamaha Guitalele, which I used as a beater for years.

I used it to do some experimentation, such as my early attempts at installing an undersaddle piezo.

As I was lowering the action, I went a bit too low and resulted it becoming an unplayable buzz machine..

So then I used the uke to do some experiments, such as installing steel strings on it (electric guitar strings are OK, but cause awful intonation and wear out the soft plastic parts of the instrument).

And whacky alternative tuning (nylon strung EADGBE one octave above guitar).

The high octave EADGBE was indeed an interesting one. I had to shave the saddle down til it was nearly non-existent and the tension was quite strong. But I did get a somewhat "harp" like tone with OK playability.
Unfortuntely the tension was too high for the wound classical strings to handle for long and one snapped.

And so tonight, I decided its time to let this one go as an instrument. I have limited space on my ukulele hanger. But what to do with the body? I don't intend to restore it into a functional guitalele again as I have since purchased a new Oscar Schmidt guitalele that I'm very happy with.

Any ideas of ways to make use of a dead ukulele body?
Google search showed some examples where people have turned guitar bodies into bookshelves, wall ornaments and a pot to grow plants in.. but these ideas don't particularly interest me.

I've been fooling around with the idea of sawing the neck off and turning it into a make-shift bongo drum...

And just now as I search the internet watching random videos, "Brushy One String" came up with videos such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8H-67ILaqc

And inspired me to make an unofficial "Brushy One String" tribute ukulele:

Maybe I'll even record a cover some day :cool:

Any more ideas of what creative things I could do with this broken ukulele (guitalele) would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Any ideas of ways to make use of a dead ukulele body?
I can't think that its unrecoverable, even if you're not interested. A new saddle and strings, maybe a nut if necessary, surely there's some way local to you that it can be passed on to a deserving person or establishment ... or did the neck get bent during your experiments?

After seeing this post I had an epiphiny. Get rid of those 3 other pesky strings. It would be so much simpler.

Last edited:
I would keep part of the neck on it as a handle, install some snares (you can also use old wire guitar strings as snares) and have a hand held drum of some sort. Either that, or make it into wall art.

Contact Kilin Reese at KR String Instrument Repair in Hawaii.

He can repair anything. If you want. I shipped a Baritone from Toronto, ON to Hawaii. 5 days by air. $65 CDA.

The guy is awesome.

PM me if you would like a number.

This is what I did with one of mine that was basically unplayable.

Pot plant holder.

Oops, that might mean something different in the USA.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Wow...that looks like new...I would fix it up back to original and play it or sell it on.

After seeing this post I had an epiphiny. Get rid of those 3 other pesky strings. It would be so much simpler.

Why stop at 3 ...go the whole hog ...get rid of 4 and shove a small plant pot in the hole....or get rid of 4 strings on a banjo uke and fit some balls on a string to it then you can rock it back and forth with the neck and make it like a drum ....or.....'ere 'ang on where are you dragging me ...whats this backwards facing jacket ....heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

If you feel that the instrument truly no longer has any useful musical purpose...

maybe you could do something like this:

0096.gif

just make sure to capture and share a video of the activity with us here on UU, you know, for 'memories'...

and bonus points if there is actually something lit on fire in your video!
0032.gif

(I'm just kidding of course -:))

I can't think that its unrecoverable, even if you're not interested. A new saddle and strings, maybe a nut if necessary, surely there's some way local to you that it can be passed on to a deserving person or establishment ... or did the neck get bent during your experiments?
I second this suggestion...:shaka:

Put a radio in the soundhole, mount speakers into the sides and an aerial up the neck. You've just made yourself a funky boom box!! You'll be the coolest dude in Melbourne.

Attachments

• kalx-radio-022.jpg
    kalx-radio-022.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 12
  • UT2303.jpg
    UT2303.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
REMINDS ME OF A SONG : What do you do with a broken ukulele, what..., earli in the morning, use it for kindling for a nice warm fire x3, ...

ps. sorry, this could be a nother hole thread. ...

I like the clock idea.

Another one is my father has made lamps for people out of instruments (violins, etc.). They're quite nice. PM me if you want more info.

E

I'm really liking these suggestions. The clock idea seems good; i'll have to find one that i can fit into it..

I'm not much of a gardener, so the potplant holder might be a bit of a stretch..although if we're talking about the other kind of pot, im all in as long as someone provides the pot :)

I do a fair share of restorative work..this is one that i can do without restoring.. i have 6+ ukes and about the same number of guitars.. i want to focus on them, rather than this deadweight.

I love the idea of changing it into some sort of percussion instrument..like bongos or putting snares into it..

Top Bottom