accidental pull offs

Franco

Reaction score
Everytime i take my fingers off a string it makes the string go off again. its like i'm doing pull offs all the time. what am i doing wrong? I'm just strarting out and would appreciate any help i can get.

sorry, i should have put this in the ukulele beginner section.

Everytime i take my fingers off a string it makes the string go off again. its like i'm doing pull offs all the time. what am i doing wrong? I'm just strarting out and would appreciate any help i can get.
How are you taking your fingers off the strings? Are you lifting them straight up or dragging them down (or up) as they come off?

A little (very little) noise is normal after lifting your fingers off, but if it's really really loud, maybe your fingers or the strings are a little sticky. If washing hands doesn't work, try cleaning the strings and fretboard with an appropriate cleaner. I use GHS FastFret, but there are a few others out there.

Usually happens to me too, if I was hold the strings down hard so that the line was on my finger. I pull it off straight up, so idk if that's the problem.

Usually happens to me too, if I was hold the strings down hard so that the line was on my finger. I pull it off straight up, so idk if that's the problem.

so you think im pushing down to hard?

Yes, you either have a "death grip" on the neck, or you're pulling the string down as you release it. You'll soon adapt.

so you think im pushing down to hard?
Could be...every ukulele/guitar player should try fretting a note then picking it repeatedly while gradually releasing pressure from the string. If you haven't been playing long (and sometimes if you have!) you'll probably find that it takes a lot less pressure to play a note cleanly than you expect. Also check the action on your uke...it should be about 4mm at the 12th fret and low enough at the nut so you can just slip a business card between the string and the first fret when fretting a string at the third fret.

ok great. thanks so much for all the suggestions. i'll try to apply less pressure(hahah death grip maybe thats why my left thumb is killing) and i'll check out the action of my uke as well.

If that still doesn't work put some Baby Powder on your fretting hand.

Top Bottom