Question about pre-amps and amps for my new uke

xzcuzxme

Reaction score
So my Mya-moe is finally built! Ahead of schedule!

https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=1553

I wondered if anyone had any advice on a good amp to buy. It has K and K twin spot pickups. I have an old Marshall from my electric but its a bit old and I would like something new and preferably more suited to a uke.

I was thinking I may be able to plug it into my music player amp if I get a preamp. The amp has left and right analog and coaxial and optical digital inputs...not sure if that's possible?

Thx, Luke

I'll be interested to hear replies as well. I have a twin spot in my Iriguchi tenor and I record straight into my IPhone with an Apogee Jam interface or into Reason on the PC with a Focusrite interface - in other words, no preamp and I think it works just fine - sounds very natural to me. Of course then I can use amp sim apps to get lots of tones from there.

As far as I've heard/played, Roland and Fishman are the best combo amps. A whole PA will probably sound just as good and be more flexible. Kind of depends.

Your music player amp is a stereo I can only assume? With a preamp and RCA splitter cable you should be able to get something going with the analog inputs.

I'll be interested to hear replies as well. I have a twin spot in my Iriguchi tenor and I record straight into my IPhone with an Apogee Jam interface or into Reason on the PC with a Focusrite interface - in other words, no preamp and I think it works just fine - sounds very natural to me. Of course then I can use amp sim apps to get lots of tones from there.

I too have started experimenting with iPad. I have yet to fully produce a song with it but I have purchase an Apogee Jam96k and iMIC as well as the JamUp Pro and Final Touch Pro for mastering. I'd be interested in comparing notes on your use of the Apogee Jam and any software but I don't want to hijack this thread. PM me if you have any tips. Thanks Jim.

EDIT I started a new thread on this here

Last edited:
I am not the guy who knows enough to be telling you, but there are a bunch of threads here you can find, regarding amps/pre-amps, and the combinations thereof. What seems to be a prevailing opinion is that you would do better with a dedicated acoustic amp, or one that models acoustic pretty well, and that a pre-amp is useful for ukuleles if you have a passive pick-up. I have a K&K Twin Spot in one of my ukes, and I run it through a K&K pre-amp into a Roland AC 30 and it sounds pretty good to my somewhat-deaf ears. The amp probably needs to be selected according to what kind of venue you are playing, if you need batteries or not, and how loud any other instruments are going to be. What works fine in your living room might not be enough for a noisy bar or outdoor market, and if there is an electric guitar in the vicinity, you need something as big as it has, 'cause electric guitarists seem to have two settings on their amps: Off, or Eleven ...

I figured out by trying it that I don't want to be in a jam group that is so loud I can't hear the Roland 30 if it is pointed up at me ...

Cool,

Thanks for the info. The Acoustic a20 looks perfect, shame there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK that stocks it. I couldn't find the Roland AC30 anywhere...I think it may have been replaced by the Ac33, which seems pretty nice itself but at £350 a bit expensive for my budget! I might have to dig around and see if I can find the A20 anywhere.

Luke

Get an amp with a built in pre-am/eq, or get an external one and you never have to worry about which amp you are using. Paracoustic DI seems to be the most recommended. Behringer a value leader.

Hi
I use an ART preamp into an Orange amp. Not too expensive but sounds great

Top Bottom