Is there a wound 4th string for re-entrant tuning

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Title says it all. I love the sound of a wound 3rd and I like re-entrant tuning. Is there a wound 4th string available for High G application?

You could use a guitar string? The high E might work.

You could use a guitar string? The high E might work.

That's possible. Either a .009 or .010 might work, since the scale length of the instrument is such that it would put minimal tension on the body (the .009 would be around 8.5lbs and the .010 is closer to 11lbs).

That's possible. Either a .009 or .010 might work, since the scale length of the instrument is such that it would put minimal tension on the body (the .009 would be around 8.5lbs and the .010 is closer to 11lbs).

Who makes a wound string with these specs?

I admit that I'm far from an expert, but I've only seen plain steel or nickel 'trebles'... for acoustic or electric...a wound string would be interesting to try...

please share a link :) (even if only something made by GHS)

Might not be wound but it would still give the metallic sound the OP is after.

I admit that I'm far from an expert, but I've only seen plain steel or nickel 'trebles'... for acoustic or electric...a wound string would be interesting to try...

please share a link :) (even if only something made by GHS)

Yea what he said. :cool:That is why I specified "wound" 4th string. Got to be someone out there who has found something and tried it.

No one that I know of. The smallest diameter wire I believe you can get is around a .004, which is automatically going to give you .008 in wrap diameter even before you factor in the core wire. There may be a .012 wound classical out there; maybe Savarez?

I was commenting on trying the plain steel string, as that would be easier/cheaper to obtain, provide the intended result but have the added benefit of already being "squeakless."

Top Bottom