KPK Mahogany?

johnson430

Reaction score
Has anyone played or heard a KPK mahogany flavor?

I have found no videos or reviews about them anywhere.

I am considering the KPK mahogany concert and the Mainland mahogany concert.

The KPK is $170, the Mainland is $220.

Thanks for any input.

Johnson
=)

I only have experience with the KPK acacia concert and I am very impressed with it's loud, ringing, woody bark. Of course I have Aquila strings on it. It's heavier than the Mainland, which most would think has a more "refined" look and finish to it. I have only heard good remarks about the KPK mahogany model, but of course have heard many dozens of such remarks about the Mainland. You can't actually lose with either, but they are only similar in dimensions and wood. Here's a previous post on the comparison:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?40787-Koa-Pili-Koko-Or-Mainland

Is your reason for possibly choosing KPK mahogany the price? The Acacia is only 15 dollars more. Like Phil I do own a KPK Acacia mine is a tenor and as Phil and many others have stated the sound is wonderful and the looks....well just beautiful. I never realized just how beautiful until I was playing it outside and the sun hit it....it came alive. The grain danced in the natural sunlight. I took photos but they did not do her justice. Good luck and I am sure which one you choose you will be happy. Enjoy the hunt.

I've had both. 2 KPK no-bling acacia concerts, Mainland regular mahogaby concert and Mainland mahogany slothead no-bling concert. I liked them all - but the Mainland best. One KPK sounded and played wonderfully but I traded it. Then I bought a new one of the same model... meh. I had the slothead Mainland first and loved it but traded it to try another brand. Later got the other Mainland with rope binding. Very nice but traded it to try another.

I'd love to have another Mainland Slothead Mahogany Concert and, no doubt, will.

But remember, many times it's the individual uke that makes the difference. Not the brand.

My KPK acacia tenor is beautiful sounding and has beautiful grain in the wood - I love it. I would love to have a concert just like it.

Is your reason for possibly choosing KPK mahogany the price? The Acacia is only 15 dollars more. Like Phil I do own a KPK Acacia mine is a tenor and as Phil and many others have stated the sound is wonderful and the looks....well just beautiful. I never realized just how beautiful until I was playing it outside and the sun hit it....it came alive. The grain danced in the natural sunlight. I took photos but they did not do her justice. Good luck and I am sure which one you choose you will be happy. Enjoy the hunt.

Larry D.
The price is not the issue. I just thought a mahogany body and rosewood nut and saddle might sound nice.
=)
OP

I got one three or four years ago when they were sold under the Melokia brand. Mine's a concert and it was my first solid wood uke, plays and sounds nice but I found it a bit quiet with the rosewood saddle and have a corian installed now. It (and the KPK) has a shallower body than most ukes but it doesn't seem to effect the sound much, it's plenty loud with Aquilas on it

Top Bottom