PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

strumsilly
10-14-2014, 06:38 AM
ordered a ukulele from Amazon and they sent 5 ! only paid for one. what would you do. just curious.

Freeda
10-14-2014, 06:41 AM
ordered a ukulele from Amazon and they sent 5 ! only paid for one. what would you do. just curious.
Call customer service.

strumsilly
10-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Call customer service.
so you would return the extra 4.

twentytabby
10-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Email customer service, hoping they won't ask them back. I wouldn't want to pay for shipping them back.

KoaDependent
I'd be tempted to just give them away as Xmas gifts, but in the end I'd contact Amazon (or the seller).

Sometimes, they'll tell you to go ahead and keep them rather than pay to have them shipped back. If they do that, you can live with a clean conscience.

twentytabby
What does your invoice say?

Freeda
10-14-2014, 06:47 AM
so you would return the extra 4.

Of course. Just as if I ordered 5 and got 1 I would expect them to make it right.

Freeda
10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
I'd be tempted to just give them away as Xmas gifts, but in the end I'd contact Amazon (or the seller).

Sometimes, they'll tell you to go ahead and keep them rather than pay to have them shipped back. If they do that, you can live with a clean conscience.

Yes, and if they tell you to keep them I would hope you would consider donating them to a music education program.

strumsilly
10-14-2014, 06:54 AM
What does your invoice say?
only paid for 1. they think they just shipped one

ricdoug
10-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Contact the seller. It's the right thing. The seller should bear all the shipping costs, as the onus for the mistake is on them. Ric

Flaky
10-14-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure why this is a poll. Do people really think it's okay to keep something that is shipped in error without contacting the company?

twentytabby
10-14-2014, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure why this is a poll. Do people really think it's okay to keep something that is shipped in error without contacting the company?

The question is more ambiguous than that. For instance, I'd be disinclined to return the extra if I had contacted Amazon and they said I had to pay return shipping.

Depending on the cost of the uke, my cost for shipping them back could very well exceed the worth of the uke.

Flaky
10-14-2014, 07:27 AM
if I had contacted Amazon and they said I had to pay return shipping.

I have a hard time believing this would be the policy for any retailer. Amazon would charge you to ship back merchandise that they shipped you erroneously?

Captain Simian
10-14-2014, 07:33 AM

I agree. Whenever someone gets the short end of the stick everyone says how the seller needs to make it right somehow yet if it's an error in their favor they question whether or not to inform the seller and do right by them.

The question is more ambiguous than that. For instance, I'd be disinclined to return the extra if I had contacted Amazon and they said I had to pay return shipping.

Depending on the cost of the uke, my cost for shipping them back could very well exceed the worth of the uke.

In all the years I've ordered from online retailers I've never once was asked to pay for return shipping. It would be ridiculous for them to punish an honest person in a situation like this.

twentytabby
10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
I agree. Whenever someone gets the short end of the stick everyone says how the seller needs to make it right somehow yet if it's an error in their favor they question whether or not to inform the seller and do right by them.

In all the years I've ordered from online retailers I've never once was asked to pay for return shipping. It would be ridiculous for them to punish an honest person in a situation like this.

I agree it would be ridiculous, but I've definitely had it happen on more than one occasion when I've received defective or incorrect merchandise, so I figure I'd mention it.

hawaii 50
10-14-2014, 07:47 AM
I believe "what goes around comes around".....

do what ever you want..but hard to understand why they want you to pay for the shipping back...

PhilUSAFRet
10-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Only one right thing to do. Contact Amazon and/or seller and follow instructions, as long as it's at their expense.

twentytabby
10-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Only one right thing to do. Contact Amazon and/or seller and follow instructions, as long as it's at their expense.

Exactly. I should have worded it this way.

hilot.h.
10-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Are you honest or dishonest?
CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE,NOW.

strumsilly
10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Are you honest or dishonest?
CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE,NOW.
I did before I even posted., and I'm returning them,they sent prepaid shipping label, I was just curious how honest others were. I know when I was teaching I was surprised how many of my middle school students thought cheating was ok, as long as you didn't caught.

IamNoMan
10-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I am in agreement with PhilASAFRet with one tiny exception. After listening to the instructions from the retailer I would evaluate those instructions. If there were no additional costs to me, other than my time I would execute the instructions as directed. If there is any problems at all I would re-contact customer service and offer my own solution. To wit:

The Retailer contacts the local shipping agent in my area and arranges to have prepaid, labeled, shipping containers delivered to my house. These labeled containers will be dropped off by FedEx and UPS at no charge to you. (I didn't invent this procedure). The retailer must include insurance for the goods to be returned. They will doubtless insure for the wholesale value. For Fedex and UPS tracking is auto-included in the price. If the retailer uses an obscure shipper make sure tracking is included. Keep a record of these discussions - make sure they are dated.

I always cc this information via email to The VP of Customer services as well. If the pre-paid shipping containers don't arrive Within a couple of months, recontact the VP and let them know. They have a problem. You should probably receive the shipping containers in 10 to 20 calendar days anyway.

If all this fails figure out what to do with the extra ukes. I would give them to prospective ukers close to home and start a uke club myself.

RPA_Ukuleles
10-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Several years ago, I ordered a coffee grinder online. When the package arrived it contained SIX coffee grinders. The price of this model grinder was $275. Fairly pricey. But fortunately, I was only billed for one. And so I had to think about sending the others back. I mean, I was a $1300+ loss for them if I kept them. So, I called the name on the shipping label and left a message on the phone as to what happened. And I never received a call back. So I waited a few days then called again, same deal. Then a few more days went by and when I called again I finally reached the guy. Turns out he was in the shipping dept and his name ends up on all delivery tickets. But here's the thing, he encouraged me to keep them. Seriously! I think he was trying not to get in trouble over it and apparently he could hide his mistake easier if I just kept them.

But, still trying to do the right thing, I contacted the company's main number to see how to return them, and get this… they said they had no record of me receiving more than I requested so it's a non issue. I could not believe my ears. But I decided to call once again later that week and finally talked to someone who understood the screwup and said he would send me a pick-up ticket for the return shipment. It took him nearly three weeks to get that ticket to me. And I should say, in all of this I made it clear there was no way I would pay for return shipping. If they wanted them back, they had to make the arrangements.

I could not believe how difficult they made it to "do the right thing". In fact the last guy I talked to said "wow, you could have had a nice little business selling those on eBay". I still wonder if I should have stopped after one attempt to return them.

Sadly the coffee grinder that I kept ground its last bean this summer. Now I wish I had kept at least one of the bunch I sent back :(

IamNoMan
10-14-2014, 09:28 AM
But, still trying to do the right thing, I contacted the company's main number to see how to return them, and get this… they said they had no record of me receiving more than I requested so it's a non issue. I could not believe my ears. But I decided to call once again later that week and finally talked to someone who understood the screwup and said he would send me a pick-up ticket for the return shipment. It took him nearly three weeks to get that ticket to me. And I should say, in all of this I made it clear there was no way I would pay for return shipping. If they wanted them back, they had to make the arrangements.
This is why I contact the VP of Customer Services

WestyShane
10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
I am in agreement with PhilASAFRet with one tiny exception. After listening to the instructions from the retailer I would evaluate those instructions. ...

I agree with this. I'm all for being honest, karma, etc but the fact is that unless the shipping containers, return labels, and such are delivered to me it could be a considerable inconvieniance for me to return the item. I would need to find all the proper packaging materials and (this is the biggie) TAKE TIME OFF OF WORK to take the package to UPS or other shipping outlet. If Amazon is down one extra $40 Mahalo due to their own fault I really don't think I should be expected to shoulder the majority of the work to make it right.

Rllink
10-14-2014, 10:17 AM
I would make an honest effort to contact the seller and return them. I've never been one who feels good by profiting off of other people''s mistakes. I certainly make enough of my own to know that it happens.

g'est
10-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I also voted for sending them back

But am I the only one who's curious...what ukulele did you order?

Can you imagine 5 K-brand ukuleles showing up at your place?

Tudorp
10-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Karma... Call and give them the option. Had that actually happen to me (except I only got two). Contacted them, and they simply replied, "Thank you for your honesty, please keep the extra as a gift for your honesty" In many cases, it's not worth it to them to go through the admin and shipping expense to put them back in inventory, and is just a write off. But the right thing to do is let them decide that. Or, write them, tell them what happened and if they wanted them shipped back, OR to be donated to a local school for the kids to learn on. In many cases, they would rather, and feel better that they will go to a school. Just my .32 cents worth (Inflation)

Ukejenny
10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I would have to let them know that extras were shipped. What is amazing to me is that someone accidentally packed up and shipped 5 ukuleles instead of one. I mean, how big was that box?

Sabantien
10-14-2014, 05:16 PM
I reckon in most cases (unless it's worth thousands) it's not really worth it for them to go through the process of getting the item back. But that's no justification for what would otherwise be theft.

If the bank deposits a million dollars into your account and you spend it, when the error is found you still have to pay it back. Because they made a mistake doesn't mean they miss out.

(of course, if you make a mistake the bank will never give you your money back, but hey, who wants to be on the same moral level as a bank?)

Sabantien
10-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I would have to let them know that extras were shipped. What is amazing to me is that someone accidentally packed up and shipped 5 ukuleles instead of one. I mean, how big was that box?

I wouldn't be surprised! One uke in a box may come in a larger box of 5 ukes. There's probably plenty of bulk orders that go through from schools or music stores. Throw in a minimum wage worker at the end of a 12 hour day, possibly not giving 100% of their attention, easy mistake.

itsme
10-14-2014, 05:21 PM
What is amazing to me is that someone accidentally packed up and shipped 5 ukuleles instead of one. I mean, how big was that box?
Seriously, where is their quality control? Are the people packing the orders not given the correct details of an order?

KaraUkey
10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
First play them all in order to pick out the very best one. Then call them and ask them what they would like me to do with the other four and commend them on their practice of sending their customers a choice.

itsme
10-14-2014, 05:37 PM
First play them all in order to pick out the very best one. Then call them and ask them what they would like me to do with the other four...
Wow, that is pretty sound advice. Pick the best out of the batch. :)

RAB11
10-14-2014, 09:17 PM
I have on more than one occasion accidentally left money in a cash machine or self-serve till and not realise until I get home. I call myself an idiot and say 'well at least some fortunate soul's had a nice little surprise today.'

What goes around comes around and I'm not gonna lose much sleep about a big corporation like Amazon losing out on extra items, perhaps if they treated their warehouse staff a bit better more care would have been taken. I would keep the best one and take the rest down to my open mic to see if anyone fancies trying out a uke.

Roselynne
10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
First play them all in order to pick out the very best one. Then call them and ask them what they would like me to do with the other four and commend them on their practice of sending their customers a choice.

I like this! Wouldn't feel right to just keep quiet, and hold onto the "bonus" merchandise. I wouldn't be interested in keeping 5 identical ukuleles, anyway, so I'd have to contact Amazon, if only to get the return procedure from them. If they said I could keep them, I'd find a way to donate the extras ... after I've made my own pick, of course.

Redeyejedi
10-14-2014, 10:04 PM
If it was my company and I made an error, I'd like it if my customer

molokinirum
10-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Easy....send them back!!

JJFN
10-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Don't mean to sound sanctimonious but I am a great believer in Karma. Pick the best and return the rest. No pun intended!

frisbee fred
10-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Definitely return the four. However, if Amazon told me to keep them they would be prizes in the Seasons of the Ukulele.....

nquarrie
10-15-2014, 08:58 AM
This is really crazy! You actually received 4 more than ordered?!!!!
I'm with g'est. What brands of ukes were they? If they were all koas! Wow!!!!!!

Uk3player78
10-15-2014, 09:06 AM
I haven't real all replies but if it was 5 in a huge box they must be overstocked. That's no mistake. :D

VegasGeorge
10-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I would call customer service followed up by an email, and let them know about their mistake. But I'd insist on being compensated for my time and trouble in sending them back, i.e. shipping and handling, just like they do. That would probably encourage them to tell you to keep them and forget the whole thing.

mailman
10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

No brainer. I'd send the extras back....

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
One time I ordered a couple of dozen mugs from Cafe Press. After 4 weeks they hadn't arrived so I contacted them. They told me they would send me a duplicate order free of charge and that they would sent them first class mail this time instead of parcel post. Three more weeks went by and when I still hadn't received any of the mugs they told me that they, again, would send out a duplicate order free of charge. As luck would have it, all 6 dozen mugs showed up the next week. I called them and they insisted that I keep all the mugs. I felt better and they gained a life long customer. It pays to be honest.

LloydAZ
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Many years ago the United States Postal Service had an advertisement on TV that said "If you receive something in the mail that you did not order, it's yours to keep." Technically, the seller made the mistake and sent you five times what you ordered and only charge you for the one. Legally, they are yours to do with as you please (if you live in the U.S. that is).

However, Karma is not a very nice lady at times, you don't want to make her mad. Contacting the seller in an attempt at sending them back was definitely the right thing to do.

billten
10-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Ya man, contact the seller. It's all karma...

cantsing
10-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Many years ago the United States Postal Service had an advertisement on TV that said "If you receive something in the mail that you did not order, it's yours to keep." .... Legally, they are yours to do with as you please (if you live in the U.S. that is).

I wonder if that is still the law. If I recall correctly, that ad (and the corresponding law) was a response to unscrupulous mail-order practices. My recollection is that shady businesses ran magazine ads that enticed people to call and request more information, then in response to the call, the company would send unordered merchandise along with an invoice. I'm guessing a lot of mail-order laws have been re-written with the advent of online shopping, and I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of protection doesn't cover an obvious error.

Regardless, I would definitely return the ukuleles. What goes around comes around.

Pippin
10-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Email customer service, hoping they won't ask them back. I wouldn't want to pay for shipping them back.

Amazon will issue a call tag. You would not have to pay for shipping.

Pippin
10-16-2014, 11:07 PM

That was probably either a manufacturer carton or a distribution carton.

consitter
10-16-2014, 11:11 PM
That was probably either a manufacturer carton or a distribution carton.

And the way Amazon is, I can bet that whoever they thought was responsible got fired when it was caught.

Pippin
10-16-2014, 11:15 PM
I wonder if that is still the law. If I recall correctly, that ad (and the corresponding law) was a response to unscrupulous mail-order practices. My recollection is that shady businesses ran magazine ads that enticed people to call and request more information, then in response to the call, the company would send unordered merchandise along with an invoice. I'm guessing a lot of mail-order laws have been re-written with the advent of online shopping, and I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of protection doesn't cover an obvious error.

Regardless, I would definitely return the ukuleles. What goes around comes around.

The law is still the same, but, I would rather have Amazon fix the issue rather than feel guilty about it. Human error costs companies money all the time. It is always better to be honest.

Pippin
10-16-2014, 11:19 PM
And the way Amazon is, I can bet that whoever they thought was responsible got fired when it was caught.

Scott, I would hope not. Amazon has been trying to improve the way they deal with employees since the acquisition of Zappos. The CEO of Zappos wrote a book titled "Delivering Happiness" and his philosophy is now working its way through Amazon. Jeff Bezos is actually a good guy, but the company had issues through management ranks over the years-- the result of growing into what they are. Human error will occur. The difference in how I would handle it would be determined by whether or not the person who made the mistake actually cares.

consitter
10-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Scott, I would hope not. Amazon has been trying to improve the way they deal with employees since the acquisition of Zappos. The CEO of Zappos wrote a book titled "Delivering Happiness" and his philosophy is now working its way through Amazon. Jeff Bezos is actually a good guy, but the company had issues through management ranks over the years-- the result of growing into what they are. Human error will occur. The difference in how I would handle it would be determined by whether or not the person who made the mistake actually cares.

I hope so too. From what I've heard about Bezos, he has a nice public exterior, but is nearly emotionless when it comes to treatment of employees. I'm glad to hear that Amazon is taking on a better attitude.

Pippin
10-17-2014, 12:20 AM
Here is a link to the book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Happiness-Profits-Passion-Purpose/dp/160941280X

This book chronicles the ups and downs of Zappos and how Tony Hsieh's attitudes and ideas created one of the "best places to work" in America. Now, Bezos is big into the idea of following Tony's lead on this. I hope it works. The logistics business is filled with grumblers and gripers. That is common among warehouse workers. What Tony did was create a culture of satisfaction and enthusiasm.

strumsilly
11-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Update: sent the extra 4 back and thought it was done. I just got an email that Amazon refunded the money to my CC for the returned item. good grief!

IamNoMan
11-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Kismet! Enjoy your windfall.

Yukon Cornelius
11-01-2014, 06:49 PM

I'd call customer service and tell them they made a mistake. I wouldn't pay to ship them back, I'd expect them to pay for that.
If I was told to keep them, great. I'd put them to use.

Yukon Cornelius
11-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Jenny you would be surprised at the box sizes things are shipped in. It makes no sense. The other day we received 5 boxes (regular sized one too) of pasta elbows in a box that was bigger than an 18 gallon tote.

Yukon Cornelius
11-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Jenny you would be surprised at the box sizes things are shipped in. It makes no sense. The other day we received 5 boxes (regular sized one too) of pasta elbows in a box that was bigger than an 18 gallon tote.

We aren't going to complain b/c Amazon is one way we do our shopping (90% of our shopping is done online).

cantsing
11-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Update: sent the extra 4 back and thought it was done. I just got an email that Amazon refunded the money to my CC for the returned item. good grief!

Too funny! Sounds like straightening the whole thing out is a lost cause. Maybe consider donating the money to a good cause?

janeray1940
11-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Here is a link to the book at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Happiness-Profits-Passion-Purpose/dp/160941280X

This book chronicles the ups and downs of Zappos and how Tony Hsieh's attitudes and ideas created one of the "best places to work" in America. Now, Bezos is big into the idea of following Tony's lead on this. I hope it works. The logistics business is filled with grumblers and gripers. That is common among warehouse workers. What Tony did was create a culture of satisfaction and enthusiasm.

This is so interesting to me, as I was unaware of the acquisition and have recently had customer service issues with both companies. Dealing with Zappos was an absolute dream; they went far above and beyond my expectations without me even having to ask for a thing, and the employee I dealt with sincerely seemed to love what she was doing. Dealing with Amazon was a nightmare from the beginning - just getting a rep who could understand my language was a challenge in and of itself, and it took several days and several phonecalls before a resolution was reached.

Funny thing is friends always make fun of me for paying full retail on Zappos rather than looking for a cheaper option (and there is nearly ALWAYS a cheaper option). This time around for me, it definitely turned out to be a case of "you get what you pay for" :)

As for the OP's issue with Amazon: my problem was different but similar in that in the end, I ended up with some merchandise I didn't pay for. Since getting to the post office is problematic for me (open the same hours I work, and I don't like to take time off for personal stuff), part of my issue with Amazon was the inconvenience of returning merchandise for me. In the end they just said "keep it" - which felt a little weird to me, but seemed to be business as usual for them.

Debby
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Without telling brand name....I'm curious what price range these ukes were...or wood type.

I would have sent them back, regardless, but I'm curious what these were worth.

strumsilly
11-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Without telling brand name....I'm curious what price range these ukes were...or wood type.

I would have sent them back, regardless, but I'm curious what these were worth.
total worth a little over 500, bought 1 got 4 "free"
they were the Islander AC-4[laminated Acacia. I ordered 1, they sent 5. at the time they were $105[now 136], that's why I bought it [them], also got a tenor At-4 and a soprano MS-4. They are very plain, but sound and play [once I cut the nut slots deeper] great. very thin laminate. they all have the pin bridge, looks nice, but not my fav. The soprano came with Grover open geared tuners, the others grover clones, not quite as smooth.

Mahalo Mike
11-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Same thing happened to me. Ordered from Amazon a Russian wife, they sent three. Within the return time frame of 30 days, I sent them all back and received a full refund.

Amazon "Prime" was great - no shipping and/or handling.

:rolleyes:

Mezcalero
11-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Same thing happened to me. Ordered from Amazon a Russian wife, they sent three. Within the return time frame of 30 days, I sent them all back and received a full refund.

Amazon "Prime" was great - no shipping and/or handling.

:rolleyes:

Were you able to sample the goods?

LDS714
11-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Were you able to sample the goods?

He said no handling...

PhilUSAFRet
11-23-2016, 02:26 AM
Another vote for "do the right thing"....let Amazon decide.