NUD - My Frist Uke from a Newbie

vabishop

Reaction score
My Very First Uke!

My brother Dave (DownUpDave) introduced me to his newpassion a few weeks ago when I was visiting him in Canada. I was hooked. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to do everything my big brother did, so I figured why mess with a sure thing, so I took up the Uke when I got back home to Santa Barbara, California.

I started looking for a Uke right away. I use to have a home on the Big Island. While there I fell in love with the Hawaiian people,culture and music. So I decided I wanted a Koa uke from a Hawaiian company that wouldn’t break the bank.

I finally found what I was looking for on eBay. It is a solid Koa Pono, which I understand they don't make anymore. A cute little soprano with a sweet sound…at least to my untrained ear.

I have been having a blast and signed up for Uke Classes as soon as my Uke arrived. I had my first class last week…boy are my fingers sore!

Anyway, here are some pic of my new baby. Enjoy.
$_59.jpg$_57.jpg$_60.jpg$_58.jpg

Last edited:
I guess a trip to Santa Barbara is in order so I can play your new baby. Ukes sure are more fun than one person can possibly handle. Looks great and I am sure it sounds that way to. You scored big time, way to go.

Aloha and welcome to UU. Glad you joined in.

You got a sweet Uke there. Make sure your brother plays nice when he visits!

Enjoy and keep us posted

Gotta love the Koa, just saying! :D It seems you got just what you were looking for. Enjoy the Uke and the Forum. Aloha!

Funny how Ukes can spread through a family. Sometimes the wife starts and hooks the husband or the other way round, then there's brothers and sisters. Then before you know there's whole family groups rolling up to your meetings and the family BBQ's are changed for ever. Ain't it great? Have fun with your new Uke it looks great.

Love the uke, Valerie ... a little envious ... a Pono Koa Soprano ... they don't make them like that any more ... I will keep my eyes open for one ... enjoy it!

Congrats on the great find. Remember, don't press on those strings any harder than necessary to get a clean sound. I started playing 15 minutes at a time, twice a day. It was about 2 weeks or so before I could play through an entire meetup. Even now, if my fingers are getting sore, it's because I got "caught up" in the music and the volume in the room, and pressed too hardly on the strings without realizing it.

Nice score and welcome to the disease. ;-)

Welcome to UU and congratulations on a beautiful ukulele!

Wow, very nice for a first uke! I didn't even know Pono made a soprano. Congrats!

A very nice uke, especially for a first one.

Top Bottom