NUD First sample of tenor + Issue.

Uk3player78

Reaction score
I received a cheap tenor in the mail today. A Mahalo U320T. OK it's not going to get the droolworthy status of most but i wanted to try the size. Guitarist since my teens, ukulele 3 years ago for a change, sold em to fund a guitar swap and now returning.

I have had a bunch of concerts and love the soprano but as i said i wanted to try a tenor without going too expensive.... yet.

Overall i'm happy. it wasn't noted but it looks like aquilas. No flaws on the outside, nubone nut and saddle. Sounds good and hey, i do like the size so win win, however.

I check internals just out of habit from the more expensive ukulele's and guitar i have purchased and, there is a bit of kerfling missing.. Just about 3 squares and one square looks like its away from the body.

Not sure what to do. Would it be safe and maybe ask for a small refund or am i being anal as its just a laminate and probably won't cause much of an issue?

Sounds like it might be a a future spot where the top (or back) might come away from the body, but maybe not. To see if the strings are real Aquila, shine a black light on them, real Aquilas will "glow" like white colors do in black light. Bring the uke to a hardware store, they usually sell small black lights for travelers to check hotel rooms for cleanliness.

I'm not sure if it would be safe or not to ask for money back - I guess that depends on the seller. I have a blue Mahalo soprano and the build is pretty spotty, especially internally.

I'm not sure if it would be safe or not to ask for money back - I guess that depends on the seller. I have a blue Mahalo soprano and the build is pretty spotty, especially internally.

I think i would take a replacement. Although i'm pretty hands on so i reckon i could fix it with home made kerfing and wood glue. Maybe get discount or something. I will upload a pic soon for a better idea. :)

Depends on how much trouble it is to exchange. I'm not sure I'd place this in the "slightly shoddy work" category and would try and get one without issues this big. A tiny gap here or there can be filled. If it's a lot of trouble, and you can get that discount, a local stringed instrument tech or luthier would probably give you a few inches of kerfing scraps.

If the OP got the Mahalo from one of the Big Box retailers, just call their customer service with the info about the problem. They deal with this type of issue all the time. If they give good service, give them a good review. If they give lousy service, give a lousy review.

As per your 2nd photo. I know it's not a $1,000 or even $500 instrument, but that would just make me mad, especially if you bond with it and like the sound and playability.

Keeping it, you may be setting yourself up for an inevitable future hearbreak when this apparent error causes failure later (as per kohanmike), but then again, these usually sell for less than $100 IIRC, so you dont lose a ton of cash, but still $100 is nothing to just write off.

Cant hurt to contact the vendor and show them the photo, and see what remedy they offer?

If you do so, please let us know here in the thread. :)

I'll go with the positive review. I emailed them this morning. I was happy to read the reply.

They said it was damaged goods but they go one step beyond most. Their courier is picking up the damaged one and giving me the replacement in a one hour time slot. :O DPD is the courier not that that makes much difference.

Normans Musical Instruments is where i got it. I'm in the UK.

So i get to play this and not be tenorless and waiting if i had to do the legwork myself.

Almost edit, I just got the email, it will be with me Monday. :)

As per your 2nd photo. I know it's not a $1,000 or even $500 instrument, but that would just make me mad, especially if you bond with it and like the sound and playability.

Keeping it, you may be setting yourself up for an inevitable future hearbreak when this apparent error causes failure later (as per kohanmike), but then again, these usually sell for less than $100 IIRC, so you dont lose a ton of cash, but still $100 is nothing to just write off.

Cant hurt to contact the vendor and show them the photo, and see what remedy they offer?

If you do so, please let us know here in the thread. :)

Your right. Maybe cheap but it has a good sound. One to build memories with outdoors etc. I missed the kohanmike story? :p

I'll go with the positive review. I emailed them this morning. I was happy to read the reply.

They said it was damaged goods but they go one step beyond most. Their courier is picking up the damaged one and giving me the replacement in a one hour time slot. :O DPD is the courier not that that makes much difference.

So i get to play this and not be tenorless and waiting if i had to do the legwork myself.

That sounds like outstanding customer service to me! :)

Thx for the update! That sounds like you got both a fair and painless remedy. Kudos to the vendor!

The only thing better would be if they told you to keep the old one (due to 'high shipping costs and of processing a return'), which I've heard rumors that Amazon does sometimes here in the USA.

Good for you!

I hope you will do a NUD with your replacement Mahalo 320T, and I also hope that it plays/sounds at least as nice as you said this one does.

My Kala KA-T tenor cost me only $116 at a local shop, but it was the first uke I bought, and my first tenor, and while it's not a fancy or expensive uke, it will always be special to me, so I can relate to your sentiments. :)

Thx for the update! That sounds like you got both a fair and painless remedy. Kudos to the vendor!

The only thing better would be if they told you to keep the old one (due to 'high shipping costs and of processing a return'), which I've heard rumors that Amazon does sometimes here in the USA.

Good for you!

I hope you will do a NUD with your replacement Mahalo 320T, and I also hope that it plays/sounds at least as nice as you said this one does.

My Kala KA-T tenor cost me only $116 at a local shop, but it was the first uke I bought, and my first tenor, and while it's not a fancy or expensive uke, it will always be special to me, so I can relate to your sentiments. :)

Thanks. I will. Yeah i like ukes of all prices. Amazing what you can get so cheap these days. Have a great weekend!

Top Bottom