James Hill's New Lessons

Kimosabe

Reaction score
'Along with Hill’s new album, he’s also released ‘The Ukulele Way,’ which is a mix, he says, of Netflix and Facebook for ukulele learning. “It’s a whole library of video lessons with me, and each video lesson goes with a lesson in a book,” he said.'

Seems like a winner. Nine dollars a month and access to all kinds of lessons on line.

Anyone joined yet? I'm pretty sure I will soon. But I'm also working on other great teachers' lessons.

May be great, but there's an awful lot of stuff online that won't cost you nine dollars a month. There's Ukulele Underground lessons, theukulelesite, and so many free tutorials on YouTube and on the internet that they're hard to count, to include:
YouTube: Search ukulele, then add whatever skill, chord, technique, song, etc. you want to learn.
Ukeminutes 100
Uke Sessions
Ukulele Bartt
Ralph Shaw
The Ukulele Way
Ukulele Mike
Ukulele.com
Jim D'ville
etc. etc. etc.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97797-James-Hill-s-quot-The-Ukulele-Way-quot

Here's a long thread with info about JH's Uke Way from June--some opinions, some info from Brad/hippieguy. I'd consider it if/when it has intermediate-to-advanced lessons, and if it could be paid once (like a six month subscription); I don't do month-by-month by credit card anythings. UU Plus is great, and Phil lists many of the websites that I have used with success. Perhaps Mr. Hill is targeting his site not only to the single user, but also to schools, who might sign on en masse.

Let us know what you think of The Uke Way, Kimosabe.

Last edited:
May be great, but there's an awful lot of stuff online that won't cost you nine dollars a month. There's Ukulele Underground lessons, theukulelesite, and so many free tutorials on YouTube and on the internet that they're hard to count, to include:
YouTube: Search ukulele, then add whatever skill, chord, technique, song, etc. you want to learn.
Ukeminutes 100
Uke Sessions
Ukulele Bartt
Ralph Shaw
The Ukulele Way
Ukulele Mike
Ukulele.com
Jim D'ville
etc. etc. etc.

Good eye here Phil...I took one uke lesson when I first started playing about 1.5 years ago, but decided to exhaust the internet freebies first...haven't been back to my lesson...yet...

I have a membership with UU Plus ... taken a few lessons over Skpye ... recorded them ... but I was considering this as well ... as $9 a month is the cost of 2 starbucks ... and my gut just tells me that his is more systemized ... which I think could be helpful in an accelerated learning pattern for me.

I don't have a lot of regrets ... but one is that I didn't find the ukulele much earlier in my life ... at 47 ... I am not old, but what if I found this at 30 ... and have been playing since ...

I just subscribed a couple days ago and really like it. The style he is teaching is to have one uke play both the harmony and melody of a song. Kind of a fingerpick and strum in one. This style really appeals to me so I am really enjoying it. The other thing I like is that he is teaching how to play notes (vs. tabs). Nothing against tabs, I like and use them frequently, but I have a 15 yr history of playing different horns and really wanted to be able to pick up general sheet music and play without needing tabs.

Absolutely worth the $9/mo (actually it is Canadian, so it is closer to $8)!

I've been a subscriber to The Ukulele Way since it opened to the public. James just recently released book 4 in the series and posted the videos this week. Books one and two are beginner level, three and four are intermediate, and five and six are advanced. Book five is scheduled for early spring release and book six for April 2015.

To me, it's worth the $9.00 a month Canadian (currently about $8.50 a month U.S.) and yes, you can pay for a year in advance instead of doing the monthly subscription through PayPal (instructions are on the FAQ of the website.) I like Jame's approach to teaching. The video quality is very good, and everything that is available in the books is also on the website so you don't have to purchase the books as well. I also like the fact that James is also very involved on the site and will chat with you and answer questions as quickly as he can. There is a free version of the site as well that does include 6 lessons, so it's worth checking out.

I also like the fact that James is also very involved on the site and will chat with you and answer questions as quickly as he can.

I forgot to mention that in my post. The questions and answers (from James and others in the community) in the comments section of each lesson are very helpful if you ever get stuck.

Top Bottom