Baby Curtis is here!

khrome

UU+
Reaction score
I iz happeez!

I have adopted bbycrts AKA bobby curtis AKA baby carrot's Tangi Manini, thus named him Baby Curtis. ;) I have been researching a uke to bring with me on a trip for 2 weeks now and when I heard bbycrts was selling his Manini I took it as a sign. I was originally eyeing the Kala Travel uke in Lacewood but it turned out to be more expensive than my budget and not small enough lengthwise. Plus I already have a soprano.

When I first opened the case I was wow-ed by it's size. Then I played it and was floored by the amount of sound it puts out. It plays tuned to GCEA fine but I like the flexibility of going higher. And the brightness of sound is a noticable difference to my mellow Pono so it's nice to have the variety in my (little) collection. I can't see ever getting rid of this little Baby.

This is when I first opened the case:

picture.php

And the cute fish inlay

picture.php

Many thanks to bbycrts! I will take good care of Baby Curtis. :D

You crack me up!

Have fun with Baby Curtis!

Jon

Thanks!! I played with him throughout the day and just love him.

One thing I noticed is how physical size really plays a part in comfort levels. The Manini was actually easier for me to play than the soprano - I'm pretty small, 4'11". I'm glad I discovered this before buying a tenor or baritone, which I was eventually going to try. I guess I'll skip them now, unless I find ones with a really skinny neck. :) I guess no UAS for me anymore. lol

I just love the Manini-- but I shipped mine out today to a worthy new owner. Have to keep the UAS at bay. ;)

I don't have the means to record video right now but I'm working on it.

Good for you for not letting UAS take over, Natalie! lol

I forgot to mention. I didn't think I'd like friction tuners but I think I like them better than geared! :eek:

QUESTION:

Who makes the smallest playable "good sounding" ukulele? I know good is a relative term.. I know Koaloha makes the smallest UKE that thing was the size of my thumb.. but I am talking about one you can play..

Now I am new to this UU thing.. so if there is a thread that is all about this.. just point me there! Thanks!

Hope to hear it soon! And good friction tuners are better than bad geared tuners. :D

QUESTION:

Who makes the smallest playable "good sounding" ukulele? I know good is a relative term.. I know Koaloha makes the smallest UKE that thing was the size of my thumb.. but I am talking about one you can play..

Now I am new to this UU thing.. so if there is a thread that is all about this.. just point me there! Thanks!

Well...if your fingers can handle it (mine were too big, which is why Khrome now has custody), the Tangi Manini would get my vote (that's the Baby Curtis this thread is referring to). The sustain and tone are remarkable for such a teeny tiny little thing. However, Tangi has stopped building ukuleles, so it won't be much longer that new ones are available.

After that, I would guess the Ohana Sopranino gets the vote. I've heard of the Koaloha Noah, but I don't know if they still build it.

Well...if your fingers can handle it (mine were too big, which is why Khrome now has custody), the Tangi Manini would get my vote (that's the Baby Curtis this thread is referring to). The sustain and tone are remarkable for such a teeny tiny little thing. However, Tangi has stopped building ukuleles, so it won't be much longer that new ones are available.

After that, I would guess the Ohana Sopranino gets the vote. I've heard of the Koaloha Noah, but I don't know if they still build it.

i have e-mailed tangi... but if they are no longer in biz.. i am guessing that i might not be able to pick one up.. how much do they run?

i have seen the ohana... but it was larger..

as for the Noah.. i got to play one when i was in the shop!! it was in tune! i know he started making those first! and they were around 300 dollars. they no longer make them and the ones that are out there are worth much more..

Dominic, I PM-ed you a place that still might have a Manini.

When I was researching sopraninos I found out there were a few brands that made them but I couldn't find any for sale except for Ohana and Tangi. People really seem to like one by Black Bear but I can't find a pic or video of the infamous uke.

There is one by Brüko but it is just a bit smaller than a soprano but thinner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom