Help identifying vintage uke banjo manufacturer

flynnr2

Reaction score
Was hoping someone here might be able to name the manufacturer of this uke banjo (family instrument, belonged to my great uncle, origins of instrument lost to time).

NB: there do not appear to be any identifying marks on the instrument anywhere.

Measure 21 inches stem to stern.

Thanks in advance,

R

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I can't be of much help, presumably you're sure it's a ukulele, not a short-scale banjo, though I suppose there could be a grey area if it's larger than a soprano (about 23" overall). That symbol on the headstock may be diagnostic, an X in a circle ... maybe some banjo aficionados over on the Banjo Hangout http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/ might be able to help.

Looks to be a good-quality instrument :)

Cheers - added measurement (21") to original request.

It does seem of quality manufacture, so hopefully it will ring a bell with someone somewhere.

Cheers for the Banjo Hangout referral as well.

Yes, it's a Gretsch-made uke c.1925-30.

And no, I don't lowball people. I pay essentially ebay-fair prices considering the work that's necessary on old instruments. I can't afford to buy ukes at their retail prices, put $100 worth of work and parts to make them spot-on playable, and then eat all that time.

Also: it's nice to be back on UU! I forgot to transfer my user over to my new email before deactivating my old acct. :)

Also: Yes, I'm from Antebellum Instruments. Or, rather, am.

Last edited:
And as far as value goes, I wouldn't want to be in on that for more than $150 shipped to my door. Frets will likely need a bit of leveling, needs new strings, new bridge, setup after that, and the rim cap bit missing on the bottom and poked up will detract value. Maybe after all that's done it's a $225-250 banjo uke? The maple in the neck is nice but it's not a fancy instrument.

Yes, it's a Gretsch-made uke c.1925-30.

And no, I don't lowball people. I pay essentially ebay-fair prices considering the work that's necessary on old instruments. I can't afford to buy ukes at their retail prices, put $100 worth of work and parts to make them spot-on playable, and then eat all that time.

Also: it's nice to be back on UU! I forgot to transfer my user over to my new email before deactivating my old acct. :)

Also: Yes, I'm from Antebellum Instruments. Or, rather, am.

Lowball a very poor choice of words on my part. It was an unthinking "shortcut" to what Jake states above. I apologize to all and have sent an apology to Jake.

I have deleted my previous reply.

Phil :eek:

Last edited:
Cheers all - helpful & informative.

FWIW, I do have the missing bit of rim cap - certainly not in perfect condition, but at least all the bits are there.

Lowball a very poor choice of words on my part. It was an unthinking "shortcut" to what Jake states above. I apologize to all and have sent an apology to Jake.

I have deleted my previous reply.

Phil :eek:

Phil I didn't mean to be an attack dog!!! I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers. I was just in a bad mood that day. Normally I would've joked it off. :D

I don't think you overreacted at all and you didn't ruffle my feathers. Thanks for your great service to the world of musical instruments. I have recommended you and your site to quite a few people. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom