This gave me tears....

Nickie

Reaction score
Last night I played for some new clients of mine. Even though I forgot some of my lyrics, they loved it. One of them said, "I want one, and I want the same size you have." I was taken back, as I didn't expect that at all!
Then her sister said, "When I'm sick on my deathbed, I wnat Nickie ther playing for me." This REALLY took me back. Especially since she's a lot younger. I gave a nervous laugh, and we all giggled.
I'm no great player, but playing the uke has created magic in my life.

That's cool.

Never know what the ukulele will do for people, huh?

Righton Nickie,
continue to treat folks with your music, great story, thanks for that!
:)

Gosh...thanks guys....I can't wait to find more new clients so I can play for them too, LOL!

Way to make me cry Nickie...............thanks, for all you do :eek:

Gosh...thanks guys....I can't wait to find more new clients so I can play for them too, LOL!
I'm not quite sure what type of clients you refer to. I see you are a nurse. Take your uke for a stroll in the hospital wards. Staff and patients alike really enjoy it. CHildrens' wards Long Term Care wards and Cardiac wards are good choices. Occupational Therapy is also worth a visit. My brother in law had a stroke mid-August. He is just stating to speak again. He doesn't know it yet but he's getting an Ukulele for a Christmas present.

How wonderful and touching. You are doing it right, Nickie...

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
"And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give ..." (Lennon's misquote of McCartney's lyrics)
~ Dick

Ah yes, that music hath charms cannot be denied! Good story, and I'm so glad you take your Uke with you on the job.

Yes, I'm still a nurse, part of the time, but I'm no longer allowed to take it to work. Seems they require a Certified Music Therapist. Humbug.
These were new clients of my business. They were family members of a patient I had a while back who passed away. They asked for ukulele music when I was off the nursing clock, so I came home, got the uke, and went back and cheered them up.
When I retire from nursing (soon) I will learn the techniques from Harps for Healing, and go play for more sick folks....

Yes, I'm still a nurse, part of the time, but I'm no longer allowed to take it to work. Seems they require a Certified Music Therapist. Humbug.

This is a wonderful story.

I remember your thread when they told you to stop the music.

I was mad at this, very short-sighted of them. A credential being used as a barrier to music, for HEALING - unbelievable!!!

I am glad you are still able to help people to feel better with your music. You are doing a great service for the folks you are playing to, even if the hospital does not appreciate it, I am sure that your clients do.

Good for you. Nickie, you are bringing gifts into their lives every time that you play.

Thank you. :)

Thanks so much guys. I went to a memorial for another nurse today. I had a uke with me, just in case. When I met the deceased's brother, he smiled, and said "So you're Nickie, Cleve used to talk about you, you're the one who played for him at hospice house!"
Yes, I told him, I am. He asked me to "grace them with a song", so I did. Lots of people there, I was nervous, but it happened, and I looked up and said "This one's for you, Cleve", and they all applauded. It made my day. My former boss gave me a big hug.
When we left, someone said "Don't ever put that ukulele down." I told her I won't.

Top Bottom