B7 to Em

Redeyejedi

Reaction score
beginner here:
i'm having trouble smoothly going to the Em from the B7 in a G, B7, Em, C, G run. i'm fingering the B7 and Em in the same way(4320 and 0432 -i think:p) and it seems it should be the easiest change but it ain't:mad:, it ain't happening at all for me. :(

What seems to be the trouble? It's the same finger shape just one string over.

Practice and be patient grasshopper.

that's what so frustration. i lift and land but one finger does something my brain didn't tell it to. always a different finger. i land on dims cleaner. and being so close to each other and same fingering i am really at a loss. almost didn't post cause i feel it should one of the easiest changes, but it's giving me hell in a handbag without a hot handle.

yea, that's what i've been doing.
also, if i hold neck in palm, squeezed sort of, i can lift all three and land(horribly). but if i support neck with thumb, it makes the lift land not fun for me. i will get it though.
which way is it better to support the neck; i've seen palming it and i see floating held by thumb...i don't wanna learn bad habits this early.

thank you for the responses....i may have to agree that i must add this to the chord change practice sheet.

Aha! You need a strap.

i have one. two actually, but find them(hole hooks) to be a bit awkward.

just glad you didn't say strapon.....coz then i'd be like...really? really?not even gonna buy me drink first?
:p

i will try the strap again.
practice and just reduce tempo to where i can find both chords blind

I barre my B7 and then just crunch up a big for the Em, with my index and middle finger.

B7 is one of the easiest chords to bar. Just bar the second fret and put your middle finger on the third fret on the 2d string. Sometimes its easier to make a completely different shape than to move over. It requires less precision in movement. Mostly though, just more practice.

I barre my B7 and then just crunch up a big for the Em, with my index and middle finger.

Jenny, that really is not bad at all!! Thanks for that!
Some bars are still a tad painful, but i will overcome.

i think i think i just let frustration get in the way of things...as i said i find some other 'more challenging' easier for me.

B7 is one of the easiest chords to bar. Just bar the second fret and put your middle finger on the third fret on the 2d string. Sometimes its easier to make a completely different shape than to move over. It requires less precision in movement. Mostly though, just more practice.

wow, you wanna know something...that is a little easier. i was learning a song and it showed, 4320 next to 0432 instead of 2nd fret bard' and middle finger on C string...and have been playing that bar'd B7 in the ubc for a few days now.

thanks all, VERY appreciative!

Um...

Make a G chord.

Now extend your pinky out to fret the C string without moving any other fingers. You have an Em.

Simply move the modified G/Em chord you just made to cover the G, C and E strings. You now have a B7 based on the same form you used to modify the Em.

If you practice this modified Em/B7 chord shape until you can hit it every time then you can move through any combination of Em, B7, and G effortlessly.

Um...

Make a G chord.

Now extend your pinky out to fret the C string without moving any other fingers. You have an Em.

Simply move the modified G/Em chord you just made to cover the G, C and E strings. You now have a B7 based on the same form you used to modify the Em.

If you practice this modified Em/B7 chord shape until you can hit it every time then you can move through any combination of Em, B7, and G effortlessly.

this, or a variation of is what go me frustrated in the first place.
you're right though.
but this hopper needs more grass to practice on.

A few other suggestions:

First, with the chord fingerings you originally gave, instead of lifting your fingers completely up, just release pressure, drag them laterally across the fingerboard to the next strings till you feel each finger make contact (and then a tad more, so the fingers center more on the strings), then press down. Do it slowly at first till you get the feel, then gradually speed up. I suspect your fingers do inconsistent things because you're not minimizing what they have to do. Easy playing is efficient: the least pressure needed, the least movement needed. If you do a mostly lateral movement, your fingers won't have an opportunity to get disoriented. Also aim at staying relaxed—one of the greatest values in practicing slowly is that it lets you pay attention to how much movement, effort, pressure, hand tension you're instinctively (and wrongly) using.
practicing this.
Second, if you use the B7 barre form (2322), try this: for the Em chord shift the barre and middle finger laterally one string, adding the ring finger (0432 with the index forming a 3-string partial barre 0222), instead of drawing the index all the way back to the 1st string. Why? To form C you need only shift laterally one string more to play the 1st string 3rd fret with your middle finger (keeping your barre finger poised in the air close to the strings). To play the following G, move the middle finger back to the fret it previously left (2nd string 3rd fret) and drop your 3-string barre back down behind it. This alternative fingering conserves motion and hand shape. Your pinkie (unused in all this) may start sticking out in the air; don't let it! Keep it arched and down close to the strings like your other fingers
working on this
Third, for the Em try 4432 rather than 0432. Leave your ring finger on the 4th string, reposition your index and middle fingers as before, and plant the pinkie behind your middle finger on the 3rd string. This gives you an anchor point. Though more complicated, you might find it easier to do because of the anchor point.
going to try this

there is some brilliance i see in that efficiency. and have been attempting to incorporate into learning but, worried i'm memorizing comfortable shapes instead of proper ones.
thank you for your input. i value the expertise. although i may not totally grasp at first read, upon 2nd and 3rd its spot the F# on.
Thank you.

thanks folks, I have a ton to practice this weekend!

very much appreciated,
mahalo, thanks, cheers!

beginner here:
i'm having trouble smoothly going to the Em from the B7 in a G, B7, Em, C, G run. i'm fingering the B7 and Em in the same way(4320 and 0432 -i think:p) and it seems it should be the easiest change but it ain't:mad:, it ain't happening at all for me. :(
Are you playing "Third Rate Romance"?

Top Bottom