PDA

View Full Version : Song Writing

BigDaddyUker
10-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Its amazing to me how many of you Seasonistas write songs. It seems like if you can't find a song to fit the season, you write one and honestly, I don't know that there has been one that I didn't like. I just listened to Berni's Alone, Alone...amazing.

My questions are many. Is this a craft that you all have perfected over time? Is it something that just comes naturally? Do you starts with words? Do you start with music? How do you determine the chord progression? What type of song...ballad, waltz, swing...?

I have a little poem I wrote for my babies. I have never in my life written a poem, a verse...nada, nothing. And much like Berni's Alone Alone...I brought my baby upstairs and laid down with him and the words just started coming to me.

Most that have read asked when I was going to turn it in to a song...I would love to but no idea where to start...

I think its pretty rough but it was definitely from the heart...

My final thoughts as this day closes...

Father and Son

Ascending the stairs
In my arms no cares
My little boy ready for sleep
A tiny yawn a quiet weep
A Father and Son

Little arms around my neck
A soft gentle squeeze
Never let me go
Oh please daddy please
A Father and Son

A dark quiet room
Shadows cast from the moon
We lay down together
Does it get any better
A Father and Son

Laying chest to chest
Two hearts are now one
We gave it our all
Now together we rest
A Father and Son

Our breathing slows
Our eyes close
As minds unfurl
All becomes right in our world
A Father and Son

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 12:17 PM
No doubt you'll get more polished advice from the more polished writers among us, but as a quite new songwriter myself, I thought I'd share a bit about my experience so far.

It just kinda started happening to me. Having a ukulele in my hands a little over a year ago just opened some sort of door I had no idea was there, and songwriting starting coming out of me. So my experience has been very organic.

The first time it happened (http://youtu.be/ls6d8Zq5MzQ), an idea just popped into my head. Somebody said something one day, I forgot about it, and a few days later, out of nowhere, a song concept, and, I think, one line of lyric just appeared, unbidden, like the proverbial lightbulb.

Most of my songs have started this way ... a single idea or concept, and/or a single line of lyric ... usually prompted by an experience (http://youtu.be/oIu-IiHmPo8) or event (http://youtu.be/8tkQpW0phhg) or conversation (http://youtu.be/S1-YlmsL31c) or something I saw online (http://youtu.be/JJHwITD1bMU), or maybe a thought prompted by a Season theme (http://youtu.be/ahjvOstCHaA). Once I was just noodling around with some chords, and found I could only keep that up for about a minute before words starting coming out of me (http://youtu.be/yTCzuSG9kdg). A few times I've written to prompts that were not personal to me, including for Season 124 (http://youtu.be/QUxW7sC73-g). I'm pleased with those songs, but I find I'm not drawn to play them much afterward.

What happened that first time was that it occurred to me, hey, I have an instrument I can play with my hands. I know a handful of chords. I know a tiny bit about how those chords sometimes seem to get put together into songs. (Really, almost nothing about that, that first time ... mostly I just knew a few chords.)

So I picked up the uke, and played a chord. If it sounded good, and fit what my voice tried to do, I attempted to use it for something. If not, I tried a different one. That first song was very "hunt and peck", because I really did not have much at all in the way of tools to do anything else.

Over the next few days, bits of melody and words began to form around the chords, and as I went out for walks (always with a voice recorder on me), I'd experiment with bits, keep the best ones, discard the rest.

If I liked a line, I'd look for other lines to fit with it, melodically, lyrically (meter and rhyme), and story-wise. Once I had a bit of raw material, I sat down with ... paper that first time, pre-iPad ... and attempted to assemble my song. Gradually, I fleshed out verses and choruses and a bridge, and assembled them in a way that made sense and I was happy with. Ultimately from this process, a complete song emerged.

That first song was actually more complicated than most of my later ones have been ... I have no idea why ... it just happened that way. I ended up needing actual sheet music (http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/df1f9a0ea554539b94ab92f6bc2c72d22a096f4d) (I discovered the wonderful, free, noteflight.org that night) to follow the melody I was creating, and the chord changes I made from verse to verse and chorus to chorus. These days I usually keep that stuff simpler, and since then a simple chord-lyric chart and an audio recording have sufficed me.

Most times since then (I've written, I think, 13 originals - about one a month - and a number of parodies and mash-ups), my process has been similar.

It nearly always starts with a single idea, concept, and or lyric line. Then I get out the uke and start noodling and see what comes. I audio-record (on my awesome Sansa Clip voice recorder) to capture the melodies and rhythms, and simultaneously write down the chords and lyrics as I come up with stuff, these days usually on the iPad.

[I've set up shortcuts for chord symbols on the iPad to make typing them easy. Like "g." produces "(G)" on the pad, "dm7." produces "(Dm7)", etc. I just type those in the flow of the lyrics, and the chords appear in parens like that between appropriate syllables or words. Once the song is complete, I type up a more readable chart, usually with the chords on a separate line above the lyrics, in Word, and then save it as a PDF ... which I read from the unrealBook app on the iPad. But I digress.]

Once I have a bunch of material down in more or less random order at this point, I start to assemble it into some sort of structure, and then fill in what's missing to make a complete song. Usually by this time, I have at least some idea what story I'm trying to tell ... so that guides the order of verses, choruses, and sometimes bridge(s), and which bits of lyrics go where and in which of those elements.

At some point, it looks / feels / sounds complete to me, and I call it done. And go make the video. :)

These days (partly through playing, but mostly through writing, and talking with others about writing), I've learned a bit more about the typical ways songwriters assemble the various structural elements and how to put chords together in an order that sounds good.

I still have absolutely no idea how to write melodies ... I just play chords and attempt to sing some words, and the melodies just kind of emerge out of that. I'm pleased with the results ... I just mean that that part of the process for me happens organically ... I don't feel like I have the least bit of formal knowledge about it, nor do I apply much thinking to producing them. I just sing, and keep what I like and tweak what I don't until I do.

Bottom line:
I highly encourage you to get out a uke and play some random chords, and attempt to sing your lovely poem, and just keep playing around with it until something you like emerges.

And then, next time you feel the muse, do it again. The more I do it, the more I learn, and the more confident I become that I can do it again. And you will too. Just like playing ... the more you do it, the quicker you'll learn it.

Oh, here's that first song I wrote ... at Season 88 ... 4 weeks after my first Season, 8 weeks after I first picked up a uke. And here's the sheet music (http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/df1f9a0ea554539b94ab92f6bc2c72d22a096f4d) ... it still doesn't have a chart!

http://youtu.be/ls6d8Zq5MzQ

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Beautiful poem, by the way! I am eager to hear the song. I hope you will write it and share it with us.

uke4ia
10-18-2014, 01:47 PM
My questions are many. Is this a craft that you all have perfected over time? Is it something that just comes naturally? Do you starts with words? Do you start with music? How do you determine the chord progression? What type of song...ballad, waltz, swing...?

I've been writing songs for over 35 years, and there isn't any one way. I've come up with music first and then written lyrics. I've written lyrics and later come up with music for them. I've written a chorus first, then written a song to fit it. I've even started with just a title, and written a song for it. And several times taken one of my old songs whose music I liked, and written a whole new set of lyrics.

One thing I always try to do is come up with a chord structure or strum that will make it different from all the other songs I've written. I once saw Shawn Colvin on solo acoustic as a lead-in for Richard Thompson. She used the same strum on every song, and it made the songs all blend together. So I always look for some little thing that will set the song apart.

xommen
10-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I normally start out with an idea -> lyric -> music.
But I have also started with a song progression, and then idea -> lyrics.
For chord progression I just try some, until it sounds the way I thought it should, which is partly based on the way I think about singing it.
I also can highly recommend this course, which is free and really enlightening.
https://www.coursera.org/course/songwriting

CeeJay
10-18-2014, 02:32 PM
It just happens when it happens...you can sit with your writing pad, pen poised ,your brain cocked, brain receptive to the muse ..naff all ......or you can be weeding the garden and a whole song tumbles through your brain...lyrics,tune and chords ...and you have to move fast to get it down......seriously ...

I'll play it one day "I've Got To Get Off Of The Farm"

Harry122
10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm not a serious "songwriter" by any means, but I think that it's interesting and fun to construct a song. I've done it, on and off, since I was a kid, and I've probably completed a couple hundred songs. That said, when I look back at the ones from years ago, most were junk. Maybe in 10 years I'll look back at those I'm writing today and think the same thing. Who knows?

I've only been playing uke for a couple of years now, but I'm finding it very fun to write songs with it. Before the ukulele, I played piano and keyboards a lot.

I almost always start with a chord progression. It can be as simple as a C-F-G or it can be much more detailed. I kind of repeat the progression many times, over and over, until a melody starts dancing between the chords. Last, the words come. I become more interested in the sound of the words in the tune than the meaning, which is why I often end up with "silly love songs." But what's wrong with that?

In the years before ukulele, and before iPads and easy recording equipment, I'd write the melodies and chords on staff paper so that i wouldn't lose them. Now, however, I just type the lyrics and add [C7] and [Fm] and so forth when the chord changes. Then, I make a quick recording so I don't forget how the song goes. Much easier in these modern times!

UkeCan1
10-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I become more interested in the sound of the words in the tune than the meaning, which is why I often end up with "silly love songs." But what's wrong with that?

Wait, you wrote that?! :)

bonesigh
10-19-2014, 03:37 PM
I like your little poem "Father and Son". I think a new song is like giving birth. They are all different. Some are difficult and take years to come forth. Some are out in minutes. Some die or live on the shelf. Some come with lyrics first or melody first. If it's a melody first I usually grab my camera or recorder to get it down quick because those tunes can be fleeting little suckers! One minute they are there and the next time you play it its changed somehow and isn't quite the same.

Lyrics morph. You've got it down a certain way and then you read it later and blech! So you change it a little at a time. Perhaps some words you want to say are too common. That's where using a thesaurus comes in handy. Also use a rhyming dictionary. It can give you a lot of ideas and sometimes even changes the goal you had for the song in the first place. Now you have two songs!!

I find it is quiet rewarding to write songs. Good luck Big Daddy (:

IamNoMan
10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
I agree with bonesigh. I can see a new song in your poem. You asked where does one start. "A Father and Son" starts with the poem. Your lyric may be vastly different but this doesn't mean you've lost the poem. You will have created two works with a common theme.

I would consider ways to make your poem more musical and how to turn it into a coherent song. It is, I hasten to add a coherent poem.

Remember to follow YOUR Muse.

My analysis of your poem is something like this: 5 verses, 5 short lines each, Recurring one line chorus. good rhyme. relatively consistent meter; mostly 5 or 6 syllables per line. The meter is too short for an effective song.

I would set the recurring line aside for the time being and combine the lines to create half as many lines with a "half line structure with internal rhyme. You have many ryhming couplets put these together. Something like this maybe:

Ascending the stairs, In my arms are no cares.
A tiny yawn a quiet weep, My little boy ready for sleep.

A soft gentle squeeze, Oh please daddy please,
Little arms around neck go, Never let me go.

Laying chest to chest, Now together we rest
Two hearts are now one, A Father and Son.

THis looks pretty good, the meter still needs work. You can easily sing the lines. You probably get the idea by now. Go to work and good luck. I look forward to singing your song.

uke4ia
10-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Lyrics morph. You've got it down a certain way and then you read it later and blech! So you change it a little at a time. Perhaps some words you want to say are too common. That's where using a thesaurus comes in handy. Also use a rhyming dictionary. It can give you a lot of ideas and sometimes even changes the goal you had for the song in the first place. Now you have two songs!!
(:
Along this same line, when you sing it you may find that some things that look good on the page just don't sound right when you sing them. So over time you may find the lyrics changing somewhat to a form that feels more comfortable in your mouth.

bonesigh
10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Along this same line, when you sing it you may find that some things that look good on the page just don't sound right when you sing them. So over time you may find the lyrics changing somewhat to a form that feels more comfortable in your mouth.

Ah, yes, very true. Plus sometimes words themselves sound like music when spoken so it creates a flow.

Garydavkra
10-21-2014, 08:06 AM
I've approached it in different ways. I usually write the lyrics and then come up with a melody. Sometimes I come up with a melody and then write the lyrics. Sometimes I play around with a chord progression and write something for it. I've even read that it's important to write the melody first and that the reason our music these days doesn't sound melodic is because, people write to a chord progression first. Perhaps those with formal training or music degrees would have a different perspective?:rulez: I usually tell people that I don't write any songs because, I just channel them from a higher source. In any event, I don't think it really matters. It's all part of being creative. We each have to find our own way. If you have a passion for it or are inspired to do it then you will!:D

BigDaddyUker
10-25-2014, 03:16 AM
First - thanks everyone for your insight. Appreciate your time and efforts. BEV - big thanks to you for pushing me in a much needed direction.

Here is a first go at the song...I don't think its done but on its way.

http://youtu.be/1AIknITamFc

Harry122
10-25-2014, 03:37 AM
First - thanks everyone for your insight. Appreciate your time and efforts. BEV - big thanks to you for pushing me in a much needed direction.

http://youtu.be/1AIknITamFc

Woot! Just plain terrific! I love this!!! The melody offers the opportunity for some great harmonies, too, I could hear them in my mind as you were singing!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
10-25-2014, 07:32 AM
lovely, i dunno how you can improve on this, it sounds so perfect to me

BigDaddyUker
10-25-2014, 07:58 AM
lovely, i dunno how you can improve on this, it sounds so perfect to me

Ummm...I think you had something to do with that.

10-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Ummm...I think you had something to do with that.
that is very sweet of you to say

IamNoMan
10-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Hey Big Daddy: The poem was nice but the song is much nicer and in a much more accesible format. The repeated Father and Son in the recurring refrain is very effective. And it took less than a week. Are you sure you haven't done this before?

BigDaddyUker
10-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Hey Big Daddy: The poem was nice but the song is much nicer and in a much more accesible format. The repeated Father and Son in the recurring refrain is very effective. And it took less than a week. Are you sure you haven't done this before?

LOL. Never. BirdsEyeView had sent me a message with some of her thoughts and her take on the song. I was messing with the same chords that she was but in a different sequence. I had a tempo in mind and I ran through a couple rounds with the chord progression that BEV had and everything fell into place except it felt unbalanced with 5 verses and no refrain/chorus. The 2nd verse as I had it was the only one that didn't fit the 'story' so I chose to use that as the chorus after every other verse. Once I came to that it just worked. The only change I want to make is I want a different chord progression for the chorus just to set it apart.

UkeCan1
10-26-2014, 02:57 AM
LOL. Never. BirdsEyeView had sent me a message with some of her thoughts and her take on the song. I was messing with the same chords that she was but in a different sequence. I had a tempo in mind and I ran through a couple rounds with the chord progression that BEV had and everything fell into place except it felt unbalanced with 5 verses and no refrain/chorus. The 2nd verse as I had it was the only one that didn't fit the 'story' so I chose to use that as the chorus after every other verse. Once I came to that it just worked. The only change I want to make is I want a different chord progression for the chorus just to set it apart.

Beautiful song, nice writing, Big Daddy! Made me smile and picture you with your little ones wrapped around your neck.

I love how, the moment one tries to turn a poem into a song, you discover that a song is a different kind of animal. The song itself teaches you songwriting.

I hope you keep writing, Dave ... this is a great song ... and now you've done the hard work of facing the unknown. Each time you do it, your skills and confidence build and it gets a little easier. Like everything. Like life. :)

10-26-2014, 07:09 AM
now you've done the hard work of facing the unknown. Each time you do it, your skills and confidence build and it gets a little easier. Like everything. Like life. :)
yeah watch out for life though, sometimes something truly dreadful happens and it gets really difficult and everything goes down the drain and your skills are no use at all and no amount of positive thinking or asking the universe is gonna fix that sh!t

just sayin'

bonesigh
10-26-2014, 06:12 PM
No truer words Lynda, just sayin' (:

bonesigh
10-26-2014, 06:21 PM
I like it. I think a chord change in the chorus could be good to add and perhaps a melody break, fingerpicking?, do you do that yet? Nice job BigD.

Barbablanca
10-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Can't really add anything to what Wendy and others have said. Except to add what i just commented on your Father & Son page on youtube and that is that the most difficult song you will ever write is your first!

Songwriting just get's easier and better the more you write. Not for nothing is songwriting called a craft. Your skills will improve the more you practice! Inspiration is all very well, but there is no substitute for the trial and error process of a good apprenticeship. So, keep at it!

The other thing is if you are not 100% content with that first song, then you can always revisit it when you have developed your skills and perhaps add that killer middle eight, or the uplifting solo that "future you" now believes it needs :)

Look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

One last piece of practical advice-. Keep a notebook with you at all times to jot down lines that come to you (often while doing other things, or when you are in that half-awake, half-asleep state first thing in the morning while waiting for the alarm to go off). These scraps often lay around for weeks, months or even years, before gelling into a song, but if you don't take note of the ideas as they occur to you then those are lost forever. Sometimes, if I am not feeling inspired, I revisit my "rough ideas" notepad and discover a gem that needed polishing and my greater skills and experience now know where to go with the song to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion (not that I didn't say "finish" the song. The percentage of my songs that I consider "finished" - as in I will never need to rewrite a single line, is very small ;).

BigDaddyUker
10-27-2014, 08:22 AM
yeah watch out for life though, sometimes something truly dreadful happens and it gets really difficult and everything goes down the drain and your skills are no use at all and no amount of positive thinking or asking the universe is gonna fix that sh!t

just sayin'

Ain't Nothin' Gonna Fix That Shit...sounds like a song title!

BigDaddyUker
10-27-2014, 08:24 AM
One last piece of practical advice-. Keep a notebook with you at all times to jot down lines that come to you (often while doing other things, or when you are in that half-awake, half-asleep state first thing in the morning while waiting for the alarm to go off). These scraps often lay around for weeks, months or even years, before gelling into a song, but if you don't take note of the ideas as they occur to you then those are lost forever. Sometimes, if I am not feeling inspired, I revisit my "rough ideas" notepad and discover a gem that needed polishing and my greater skills and experience now know where to go with the song to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion (not that I didn't say "finish" the song. The percentage of my songs that I consider "finished" - as in I will never need to rewrite a single line, is very small ;).

thanks and great advice. When I was programming, I had to keep a notebook with me because bug fixes etc would come to me at weird hours and I would have about 10 seconds to capture it before my mind dismissed it forever.

BigDaddyUker
10-27-2014, 08:27 AM
I like it. I think a chord change in the chorus could be good to add and perhaps a melody break, fingerpicking?, do you do that yet? Nice job BigD.

Chords change in the chorus...I was thinking the exact same thing. Something to set it apart. This was born from pure emotion and I do want to have the poem printed and would like to refine the song, add some instruments, harmonies etc and record it. Give to the boys on their graduation or wedding day. I normally don't think along those lines but this whole thing has not been normal.

10-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Ain't Nothin' Gonna Fix That Shit...sounds like a song title!
*writes that down to do something with later!!!!!!!!*

here is my vid, i was so charmed by bigdaddyuker's lyrics, and i wondered if i could add some chords and make a song out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VjHaxNjgww

it is soooooooooooooooooooo much more subtle and deep than anything i could ever come up with myself, thanks to those lovely and loving words

i wonder if anyone else fancies giving the song a go? bigdaddyuker has already come up with something wonderful but it would be fascinating to see how other people interpret it, if anyone else does feel inspired.................

wee_ginga_yin
10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
I have written a song but do not have chords of melody to it.
I wrote it after hearing a song called the Ton up kid.
In the Uk in the sixties there were two groups of young men
mods and rockers. The rockers rode triumphs and BSA's and
the Mods rode Vespas or Lambrettas. The ton up kid was a rocker
so my song is about a mod. It is called a line in a poem.
I was wondering if anybody at all would be interested in making
a tune for it. Here it is.

Big Billy bought himself a scooter
Rode it down tae Kockshinoch pit
Big Billy never wore a helmet
Said he had no use for it.

Wee Annie said tae Big Billy
I ken that ye need a spare
Why donít ye buy a wheel tae please me
If ye take me for a ride, Iíll let down ma hair.

Well Big Billy never told wee Annie
He needed Specs and was as blind as a bat
He whizzed between a parked bus and an oncoming lorry
It turned wee Annie on, she wanted more oí that

From Sanquhar tae Kirkconnel
Billy gave that Vespa 250 some gyp
Stopped off at the Tallies in Cumnock
Gave Annie a poke oí fish and chips

They shared them down at the kirk cross
Feeling more like saints than sinners.
And Big Billy gave Wee Annie her first kiss
It tasted oí salt and vinegar

Wee Annie cuddled inta Big Billyís parka
Said never be a rocker just stay a Mod
And who knows we could be a line in a poem
Written by the hand of God.

IamNoMan
10-29-2014, 01:56 PM
I might be could tackle this. The I ken the tone of the poem. The rhyme scheme is good, (drop the s in sinners in the 5th verse though).

The meter in the parallel lines in each verse is a bit uneven but some sort of pentameter or hexameter would probably work pretty well.

THe Rhythm that pops into my head is something like "Old Dan Tucker" - might be too sing-song. Might want to think if you want to stay in 4/4 or some other time signature.

I am uncertain how to approach the rocker/mod/biker tension.

I am a little uncertain about dialect. There's a noticeable difference between Lancashire, Northumbrian and Low-land-Scots. That can be worked out. Thank god its not Glaswegian!

What keys do you sing in and what keys do you like to play in?
Let this roll around here a while see what ideas the folk come up with.

wee_ginga_yin
10-29-2014, 08:22 PM
I might be could tackle this. The I ken the tone of the poem. The rhyme scheme is good, (drop the s in sinners in the 5th verse though).

The meter in the parallel lines in each verse is a bit uneven but some sort of pentameter or hexameter would probably work pretty well.

THe Rhythm that pops into my head is something like "Old Dan Tucker" - might be too sing-song. Might want to think if you want to stay in 4/4 or some other time signature.

I am uncertain how to approach the rocker/mod/biker tension.

I am a little uncertain about dialect. There's a noticeable difference between Lancashire, Northumbrian and Low-land-Scots. That can be worked out. Thank god its not Glaswegian!

What keys do you sing in and what keys do you like to play in?
Let this roll around here a while see what ideas the folk come up with.

I have played it with E B and A, and even with the long lines I can squeeze them in.
The scottish accent might be a bit difficult for most folks... and a Vespa scooter
might not be as exciting as a Vincent 1952, and of course a black leather jacket
beats a Parka every day of the week. I think the Coverdale Kid is a Vespa man
perhaps he could take it on :D

The song is based on a cousin of mine and he drove a Vespa and had a brush with death
everyday since he was so near sighted, but his girlfriend wee Annie just thought he was a dare
devil and fell in in love with his blind recklessness which she mistook for courage.
Misfits made for each other.

Old Dan Tucker could work it has got the right feel to it it especially if it was done with
the energy of Mr Springsteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GHbDFrwlU

10-29-2014, 08:44 PM
really great lyrics there, weegingayin

IamNoMan
10-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Nicely orchestrated piece that. I particularly liked the dixieland brass and the way they incorporated "Little Brown Jug" into "Old Dan Tucker" The Cajun stylings on the keyboard were nice too.

The difficulty with the motorcycle imagery is not in the imagery itself but the meter of the words. As you pointed out you can squeeze them in. I think a way needs to be found to make the words flow into the music. Maybe adjusting the line lengths would work. You could try working your lyrics into three line verses:

Big Billy never told wee Annie 'e wor as blind as a bat,
It turned wee Annie on, and she wanted more o’ that.

He scooted 'tween parked bus and 'n oncoming lorry

wee_ginga_yin
10-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Big Billy never told wee Annie 'e wor as blind as a bat,
It turned wee Annie on, and she wanted more o’ that.

He scooted 'tween parked bus and 'n oncoming lorry

Perhaps 3 is a magic number after all :-) I played rather slowly

(D)Well Big Billy never told wee (A)Annie
(D)He needed Specs and was as blind as (A)a bat
(D)He whizzed between a parked bus and an oncoming (A)lorry
(G)It turned wee Annie on, she wanted more (A)o’ that

and for diversity every alternative verse would go.

(G)Wee Annie said tae Big (A)Billy
(G)I ken that ye need a (A)spare
(G)Why don’t ye buy a wheel tae (A)please me
(Bm)If ye take me for a ride, I’ll let down (A)ma hair.

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2014, 12:06 AM
really great lyrics there, weegingayin

Turn you vitamin fortified upstrum magic on it them but in a cockney accent :-)

10-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Turn you vitamin fortified upstrum magic on it them but in a cockney accent :-)
ooh, yeah, i did enjoy doing the cockney accent for "cool for cats", i did talk like that before i went to a slightly posh secondary school, and when tired or in bad company i do relapse back into it! i'll give it a go!!!!!!

IamNoMan
10-30-2014, 04:40 AM
Yes your accompaniment works pretty well. I hear a ballad forming up. Try varying the A to A7 from time to time. say every other line. Try switching the A chord to an Em chord in the last line. Your modulation of the alternate verses is good. Try

(D)Well Big Billy never told wee (A)Annie
(D)He needed Specs and was as blind as (A7)a bat
(D)He whizzed between a parked bus and a (A)lorry
(G)It turned wee Annie on, she wanted more (A7)oí that

(G)Wee Annie said tae Big (A)Billy
(G)I ken that ye need a (A7)spare
(G)Why donít ye buy a wheel tae (A)please me
(E7)If ye take me for a ride, Iíll let down (A7)ma hair.

The meter in this last line doesn't work,try running down C#,B,A,G for the "i'll let down ma hair. I think I said before don't squeeze it in, make it flow. Modulating alternate verses works. Modulating to a third key in the third and sixth verses might be effective. It would heighten the tension. I haven't had enough coffee to hear what key that would/should be.

Turn you vitamin fortified upstrum magic on it them but in a cockney accent :-)I actually understand what your saying here; In context, I probably even say it the way you do. It is fine to blur the line with North Country and Scots dialect. But Cockney dialect doesn't work with the vocabulary you are using in this song. Your rhyme scheme is incompatible with a Cockney approach as well.

I think you are well on your way. I will be curious to hear your next iteration of this song.

10-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Cockney dialect doesn't work with the vocabulary you are using in this song.
nah, mate, we're gonna MAKE it work, innit? YEAH :rock:

IamNoMan
10-30-2014, 05:00 AM
Not a chance, Johnny won't dance!
Cockney uses an internal rhyme scheme.

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2014, 06:11 AM

I wouldn't mind a rewrite To give it a quadrophenia BEV vibe.

Here is a reading of it so you get the flavour of it
with that sly wink and a nod.

http://youtu.be/M3DIlM2P15E

RAB11
10-30-2014, 06:16 AM

Does it really? Well would you Adam and Eve it....

10-30-2014, 07:12 AM
bring it, bro, i am GONNA MAKE THIS THING HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

Does it really? Well would you Adam and Eve it....
i know, i'll go to the top of our apple and pears

weegingayin, thanks for the read through! i have actually been tweaking the geography a bit to make it aufentic lahndan.......... don't be cross, it might work!!!!!

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2014, 07:17 AM

bring it, bro, i am GONNA MAKE THIS THING HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!

i know, i'll go to the top of our apple and pears

weegingayin, thanks for the read through! i have actually been tweaking the geography a bit to make it aufentic lahndan.......... don't be cross, it might work!!!!!

Won't bother me if you half inch it :-)

10-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Won't bother me if you half inch it :-)
cheers mate, 'ere ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuRtUhK34k

big [G] billy bought himself a scooter
[C] rode it down to [G] brighton
big billy didn't have a helmet
[C] he said he'd never [G] wear one

[D] little annie said to big billy,
[C] i know you need a spare
[D] why don't you buy me a wheel to please me
[C] if you take me for a ride i'll let my [G] hair down [C] [G] [C] [G] [C] [D]

well big [G] billy never told little annie
[C] he needed specs and was [G] blind as a bat
he whizzed between a bus and an oncoming lorry
[C] it turned annie on, she [G] wanted more of that, yeah

[D] past the ace cafe and down to margate
[C] billy gave that vespa some gyp
[D] then they stopped for a bite and a beer
[C] gave little annie a poke of fish and chips, [G] yeah [C] [G] [C] [G] [C] [D]

they [G] shared them down at the beach
[C] sitting on his [G] parka on the sand
big billy gave wee annie her first kiss
[C] and she took his [G] hand

[D] wee annie cuddled up to billy
[C] said never be a rocker, stay a mod
[D] i feel like we're a line in a poem
[C] written by the hand of god, [G] yeah [C]

that's [G] love [C]
that's [G] love [C]
that's [G] love [C] [D] [C] [G]

CeeJay
10-30-2014, 03:50 PM
I have been following the Big Billy and Wee Annie ...saga with interest and much appreciation for the writings of the Wee Ginga Yin ...I have not yet dipped a toe into the waters of sampling the product as performed by young Birds Eye View (although this title may have to be downgraded to Ex Birds Eye View if current trends are not reversed). This will be remedied later this eve....morning . Now my question .....is this going to be a thread for discussing New Songs and the writings thereof , the techniques employed ,the drugs required and the booze (or confectionery)of choice ?

...or a platform to air ones brainchildren (?) and ouevres ....eeeeh I mean songs what we has wrote....?

10-30-2014, 04:06 PM
so far it's looking like a thread where some peeps put some lyrics and invite other peeps to come up with some chords to go with them, and i think that is fab. as someone who only writes the tiniest, simplest, most "a line and a half repeated over and over for about 40 seconds" sort of "songs", it's thrilling to get a chance to work on proper lyrics, and songs that end up lasting more than a minute!

IamNoMan
10-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Wee Ginga Yin: I am going to add your poem to my storytelling repertoire as a recitation. PM me your Nom de Plume so you get all due credit. I Especially liked the bit with the poke of fish an chips. I had wondered about the usage when I read it. Now I know.

Birds Eye View: nice job. It works. Didn't hear much of Bow Bells in it but it works.

CeeJay: I'm just a snarky Yank. I see sumpin' I can sink my teeth into and I jump in with both feet. You probably call it sticking my foot in my mouth. You know how it is. If I'm somehow highjacking this thread with my antics let me know. I'll desist....Make mine two fingers of the Irish:shaka:

CeeJay
10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Wee Ginga Yin: I am going to add your poem to my storytelling repertoire as a recitation. PM me your Nom de Plume so you get all due credit. I Especially liked the bit with the poke of fish an chips. I had wondered about the usage when I read it. Now I know.

Birds Eye View: nice job. It works. Didn't hear much of Bow Bells in it but it works.

CeeJay: I'm just a snarky Yank. I see sumpin' I can sink my teeth into and I jump in with both feet. You probably call it sticking my foot in my mouth. You know how it is. If I'm somehow highjacking this thread with my antics let me know. I'll desist.

No Iamnoman , no crit towards anybody . Just asking what we were going to do here .

I don't want to shovel a load of my original cack onto here if it is more about discussing the methodology and techniques of writing original song than putting up a
vid of an original.

I do think that there may be room for both , but that is over to you good peoples....

10-30-2014, 04:38 PM
ceejay i think you should shovel, unless or until someone tells you otherwise

IamNoMan
10-30-2014, 06:30 PM
I see this thread as a way of helping poets and songwriters add music to their work. And a way for tunesters to write lyrics. I am a wordsmith and an entertainer. I understand a lot about how to make words/songs/music work for an audience. If I can assist someone else to improve their product and obtain insights into my own craft I am satisfied.

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2014, 09:07 PM

A poke is a small greaseproof paperbag usually used for putting your chips in
but it can also refer to a certain act between a male and a female, hence the
dramatic pause followed by the denouement. Thanks for the alternative A A7
suggestion and that E7 and the run down gave the song/poem new life
a sort of bluesy music hall feel. I may have to revise my ideas.

wee_ginga_yin
10-30-2014, 09:10 PM

cheers mate, 'ere ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuRtUhK34k

big [G] billy bought himself a scooter
[C] rode it down to [G] brighton
big billy didn't have a helmet
[C] he said he'd never [G] wear one

[D] little annie said to big billy,
[C] i know you need a spare
[D] why don't you buy me a wheel to please me
[C] if you take me for a ride i'll let my [G] hair down [C] [G] [C] [G] [C] [D]

well big [G] billy never told little annie
[C] he needed specs and was [G] blind as a bat
he whizzed between a bus and an oncoming lorry
[C] it turned annie on, she [G] wanted more of that, yeah

[D] past the ace cafe and down to margate
[C] billy gave that vespa some gyp
[D] then they stopped for a bite and a beer
[C] gave little annie a poke of fish and chips, [G] yeah [C] [G] [C] [G] [C] [D]

they [G] shared them down at the beach
[C] sitting on his [G] parka on the sand
big billy gave wee annie her first kiss
[C] and she took his [G] hand

[D] wee annie cuddled up to billy
[C] said never be a rocker, stay a mod
[D] i feel like we're a line in a poem
[C] written by the hand of god, [G] yeah [C]

that's [G] love [C]
that's [G] love [C]
that's [G] love [C] [D] [C] [G]

Fantastic I was smiling all the way through that, well not so much smiling as doing a
naughty schoolboy s****** at having discovered a confiscated playboy magazine
hidden in the teachers desk. Chords are great and it has that classic BEV punk energy
and it was a nice touch to wear a two tone T-shirt. What a combination a Beano Uke
and a Specials T-shirt. The change in words worked well too cos I well remember the
Mod and Rocker battles down at Brighton and Margate. So there was an effortless transition
from the coal fields of Ayrshire to the beaches at Brighton.

Have you still got it on Private cos I did not see it in my subscriptions this morning...
if so, then I must concur with Ceasar in the life of Brian, and say Weleese it :-)

10-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Weleese it :-)
the vid is public... it is FWEEEEEEEEE!

thrilled you like it, it was so much fun to do!

RAB11
10-30-2014, 10:14 PM
*rocking WGY's song*

Just bloody fantastic mate. Loved it.

RAB11
10-31-2014, 06:11 AM
So Big Daddy's timing of this thread was pretty good for me. And it got me thinking about possibly writing a song of my own to mark Nathan's birth. Nothing was really doing though and I'm terrible at taking advice so I've kept shtum. Then on Tuesday it just suddenly wrote itself. I kept thinking about the day he was born. The overriding theme of that day with Louise and I was 'we did it'. But I also had a load of people say something along the lines of 'this is where the fun starts' and it suddenly struck me that my life is never gonna be the same again. The basic sound and lyrics were pretty much there on Tuesday. Fine-tuned on Wednesday and then I finally got the chance to work out some uke stuff last night, already had a progression in my head but it didn't quite work. I've sort of sussed it although there's a few kinks to sort out, but never have I been so happy with a song after three days. I even wrote a half-decent middle eight!

http://youtu.be/XEdUkLaNLMQ

Lyrics:

Honey, I think I'm getting bigger
Well that's okay because I love you anyway
Yeah you still look gorgeous to me

Honey, I'm really getting bigger
And something should be happening, but it's not happening to me
And it's not been for six whole weeks

Well what do you know
We got a baby to grow
We're jumping two feet first into the great unknown
But we'll get there in the end
We did it, and now it begins.

Honey, I'm starting to feel queasy
Well that's okay it doesn't happen everyday
Your body's doing what it's supposed to be

Honey, this whole thing isn't easy
Well that's okay because I'm with you all the way
No you'll never get rid of me

Well what do you know
We got a baby to grow

Honey, let's go get some pictures
Well I said okay then I sat with mouth agape
At the little blob on the screen

Honey, we'll find out what we're having
Well that's okay I mean I'd love 'em either way
But a boy seems much easier to me

Well what do you know
We got a baby to grow

We bought his stuff bit by bit like
Building a family brick by brick
A flat pack cot that cost a lot
But we weren't ready for the final twist

Honey, I think my bump's got lower
Well that's okay because he's still a month away
But it's a month too long for me

Honey, the pain is getting worse
Well that's okay I'm on my way to QA
We're about to have our baby

Well what do you know
He only took eight months to grow
We dived two feet first into the great unknown
But we got there in the end
We did it, and now it begins

10-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Just bloody fantastic mate. Loved it.
thank you! i had so much with that!

we did it

that was so lovely!

UkeCan1
10-31-2014, 10:08 AM
These are both so great! I love the publicly collaborative, crowd-sourced songwriting that's been happening here. That's very cool. i love the "Yes, and..." approach that the co-writers (and other contributors) have been taking.

Ryan, your song is terrific, and I was really moved by your story as you told it here. You did it! And now the fun begins ... indeed.

CeeJay
10-31-2014, 04:35 PM
https://soundcloud.com/jarvoid/floating-far-above-the-earth

Originally composed as an entry for a songs about space competition...time was running out ...so I picked up a Banjo uke and came up with this load of old toot ...this from the very afternoon in 2011 (archive recording folks !!)the recording is rough as old dogs but is the only ukelele only original I have ....

Lyric below..

Floating Far Above the Earth

As I float around the earth

I get a sense of my true worth

I have to say ee by 'eck

Here I am an insignificant speck

Floating Far above the earth

They said to me now listen Ace

will you take partin a space race

from here to the moon and back again

Because we think you're a dead cert to win

Me, like a twit said count me in......

But now as I float around the earth I get

a sense of my true worth

I have to say ee by 'eck Here I am

an insignificant speck

Floating far above the earth

So they strapped me into a rocket powereded can

lit the blue touch paper and me journey began

I whizzed around the moon which I thought was cool

But floating now I feel such a fool

Cos like a real daft lad....I've run out of fuel

Now as I float around the earth I get

a sense of my true worth

I have to say ee by 'eck Here I am

stuck inside me little tin can

Floating far above the earth

Now I've got time on me hands so I can gaze

into the vastness that we all call space

Bloomin' eck I say it looks real big

so much so I think I 'll flip my lid If I have to stay

floating far above the earth

10-31-2014, 06:39 PM
ceejay, that was great! did you draw the art?

CeeJay
11-01-2014, 02:25 PM
ceejay, that was great! did you draw the art?

The Oompah Band..? Yes ...they were a result of my infatuation in 2011 with the Pianner Ackordeen (which is still ongoing and up to 3 piano boxes now, and a cajun style button box ...)....I have IAS...Instrument Aquisition... not just Ukulele AS LOL:D

The recording is rough and I have never re - visited it ...IamNoMan Pm'd a message saying that he could not make out thye vocals clearly ...probably a fair point...I rush stuff and do not go back to it ....I might start digging out the old stuff and do it properly ...:iwant:

11-01-2014, 02:53 PM
The Oompah Band..? Yes ...

The recording is rough and I have never re - visited it ...IamNoMan Pm'd a message saying that he could not make out thye vocals clearly
well, a. the art was really great, oh you dark horse with your many hidden talents and wotnot and b. you sounded clear as a bell to me, but then i am a fellow brit, things can get lost in translation as they head back and forth across the pond...

IamNoMan
11-01-2014, 04:38 PM
You raise a valid point Bird's Eye. Sometimes I find the written lyrics from across the pond confusing. Sometimes the vids are confusing. Put both together and I usually muddle it through. Of course when we're dealing with CeeJay I'd rather be in Glasgow.:p

CeeJay
11-01-2014, 05:04 PM
You raise a valid point Bird's Eye. Sometimes I find the written lyrics from across the pond confusing. Sometimes the vids are confusing. Put both together and I usually muddle it through. Of course when we're dealing with CeeJay I'd rather be in Glasgow.:p

sorry pal but ah dinnae onnerstond ye or wha yer gettinat ??

IamNoMan
11-03-2014, 06:03 PM
You'all have been so good at this maybe you can help me out. I didn't write this song but I translated it from Russian. I don't Speak or write Russian, so I think it counts as an original effort. The Name of the song is "Katyusha" -"Little Katie" The musical score needs a little work. What I really need help with here is the Instrumental Introduction and some of the Tag lines. BTW the Tolmachevy Sisters are worth checking out. They have some tasty stuff on U-Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivASIwtHALM

Katyusha 1938 [Em]

Lyrics: M. Isakovsky
Music: M. Blanter
Translation: T.Coughlin

2/4 time,USSR (Ukulele Split Stroke of Russia) - Thanks Peter!
D on 3rd and 4th strings, U on 1st, 2nd,3rd strings.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?74342-USSR-Ukulele-Split-Stroke-of-Russia&highlight=ukulele+split+stroke+russia
The last two lines of the verse repeat as the Chorus.
The Russian is transliterated to phonetically pronounced English, (As much as humanly possible). -This is forthcoming

[Em]Apple trees and pear trees in [B7]flower.
[B7]Morning mist is rising in the [Em]sun.
[Em]Young Katyusha goes [Am]walking by the [Em7]river,
[C]On the [Em7]bank, down [Em]where the [Gmaj7]water [Em]runs.
Chorus

[Em]By the river, she sings, a [B7]love song,
[B7]To her hero, fighting far [Em]away.
[Em]To her lover, the [Am]one she dearly [Em7]longs for,
[C]She reads [Em7]the letters, [Em]he writes [Gmaj7]every [Em]day.
Chorus

[Em]Oh, my song, the song of a maiden's [B7]true love,
[B7]Fly over the river. Into the [Em]sun.
[Em]Fly to my lover, [Am]who's fighting for our [Em7]country,
[C]Faithful [Em7]Katyusha, sends him [Gmaj7]sweet hel[Em]lo.
Chorus

[Em]Let him remember an ordinary, [B7]girl,
[B7]Sweetly singing, like a morning [Em]dove,
[Em]To my lover, who [Am]preserves our [Em7]homeland,
[C]Faithful [Em7]Katyusha [Em]will pre[Gmaj7]serve our [Em]love.
Chorus

[Em]Apple trees and pear trees in [B7]flower.
[B7]Morning mist is rising in the [Em]sun.
[Em]Young Katyusha goes [Am]walking by the [Em7]river,
[C]On the [Em7]bank, down [Em]where the [Gmaj7]water [Em]runs.
Chorus x2

Any Takers?

CeeJay
11-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Sorry ,,,what do you want us to do ...I am a bit lost.

IamNoMan
11-05-2014, 08:06 PM
I am looking for an intro similar to that in the Tolmachevy Sisters video. Criticisms or suggestions to the accompaniment would be appreciated as well. I want to work this up for a vid when I get the recording equipment on my PC. All the English Translations I've heard are ahem somewhat less than bad.

CeeJay
11-06-2014, 02:21 AM
I am looking for an intro similar to that in the Tolmachevy Sisters video. Criticisms or suggestions to the accompaniment would be appreciated as well. I want to work this up for a vid when I get the recording equipment on my PC. All the English Translations I've heard are ahem somewhat less than bad.

To be honest the three Russian songs that I know all seem like that ...Kalinka in Russian sounds fantastic...

Kalinka.Kalinka .Kalinka Myah...super

"Juniper Tree. Little Juniper Tree Oh My Little Juniper tree ....not so cool.....(sometimes translates to snowball tree ?)

Katyusha as noted above lacks a certain , I don't know......

And Cossack Patrol.....hmmmmmm....Russian does not transliterate well ......it needs to be re-wowed when brought into English......just a point I have noticed.

Fantastic tunes and songs in the original language....

wee_ginga_yin
11-09-2014, 04:39 AM
I just read a poem by songblurred (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKNW_qLr7Y) on YT and this morning I put some music to it
with some gypsy dancing in India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpNAmEXc54

IamNoMan
11-09-2014, 05:12 AM
I really liked that.

Dougf
11-12-2014, 04:43 AM
CeeJay suggested that I post this here with the lyrics and chords, so here it is. I just gave the chord fingerings instead of names, since I used a capo, and I didn't want to confuse the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVACmQ0JV7I

A rainbow is nothing
just refracted sunlight
photons and atoms
dancing in air

Yet to see a rainbow
in shimmering twilight
a rainbow is nothing
just beauty up there

They say that beauty
is just in our eyes
and just maybe thatís true
but if beauty is just in our eyes
is it the same for me and you?

A tree is really nothing
just sunlight and air
photosynthetic
carbon ensnared

Yet even to fools
those fools like me
a tree has nothing
but beauty to spare

They say that beauty
is just in our eyes
itís just a figment of mind
but just maybe beauty is real
and itís just ours to find

A rainbow is nothing
with its indigo blue
a rainbow is nothing
compared to you
to youÖ
itís nothing compared to you

Chord fingerings are as follows:

A section pattern:
3211 3324 3323 three times
3313 2313

B section:
0331 2020 0231 0221 0211 0201 three times
3323 3313 2313

CeeJay
11-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Thanks DougF ..this is brill....

A section fingereing is fairly ...ummm....and B section fingering is well ....ahhhhhhh....:music::shaka:

Love it...

wee_ginga_yin
11-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Well Jim Horne has put a wee toon to my poem which was originally written in response to his
Ton up kid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blklk4amnkE) I now feel that the balance of the Universe has now been restored :-)
I was amazed to find he had included photos of the landmarks mentioned in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrkBmgJmnIE

wee_ginga_yin
11-19-2014, 01:34 AM
Well I finally put down some chords for the poem. I think it has three different flavours now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLnodql3Jkw

CeeJay
11-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Well Jim Horne has put a wee toon to my poem which was originally written in response to his
Ton up kid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blklk4amnkE) I now feel that the balance of the Universe has now been restored :-)
I was amazed to find he had included photos of the landmarks mentioned in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrkBmgJmnIE

What the hell ???? Now that is a mashup ...talented words and writings ...talented sings and playings and the Mad Frog called back to active duty...I love this.....Woot woot......

LBColosimo
11-20-2014, 12:44 AM
I also recommend the free, online, song writing course offered by the Berkeley School of Music through Coursera at https://www.coursera.org/course/songwriting

It covers all the bases from a beginner level.

Have fun and good luck!

AlanDP
07-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Great song. I hope you don't mind me jumping in and trying an interpretation.

http://youtu.be/80HK6sD9zlU

I actually have a song fragment of a similar theme but quite a different sound that I started when my daughter was a toddler many years ago. I've been working on it some. I hope to finish it sometime soon.

Unfortunately I can't really explain anything about how I write songs. I think it's mostly just instinct plus having some training in music theory plus listening to a lot of music and figuring out how other people did things that I like. Sometimes I start with words, sometimes with a chord progression, sometimes with a little piece of melody. Sometimes I can spill out a song so fast it surprises me, other times they lurk in my mind for literally years. I've begun using a voice recorder app on my phone to sing bits and pieces that come to me sometimes so I don't forget them. Sometimes I dream songs, but usually I can't remember them very well when I wake up. I've been told that I sometimes sing in my sleep.

As for this song, the minor ii chord has always had a very wistful sound to me, so I thought it would be good to use in a song as somber as this (I like the I-ii-IV progression). I thought it should be very soft because the lyrics have a very lullaby-like quality. Any odd chords or modulations would be jarring in a song like this, in my opinion, so I didn't do anything weird. I also wanted each stanza to flow right into the next, so you might notice that I ended each stanza on a IV chord that rested into a I chord at the beginning of the next, except for the end, which needed to finish properly. After all, with a lullaby you don't want to leave people hanging.

Most of my songs are very simple, musically. That comes from growing up listening to and singing country music and gospel songs. I'm also a jazz fan, though, so sometimes I'll try to sneak in some extended chords for a little extra flavor. This probably didn't help you much, but those are my thoughts at the moment.