ktm9

little timber

Reaction score
Does anyone here use the ktm9 waterbased finish? I'm looking to get into spraying finishes and living in wisconsin, the low temps and high humidity make me tend to leen away from lacquer as I don't have the basement space to keep a spray booth nor would I want the fumes in the house. I'm wondering how this finish applies in cold weather, and lmii's site doesn't get into application temperature range, and if anyone here has had success with it

My primary experience with finish is ktm9. We spray it in a (usually) un-heated garage and haven't had any issues with it. The first uke I used it on is well over a year old and I'm still happy with it.

I'm not a super experienced finisher, but I definitely noted a problem at lower temperatures with the water based acrylics. Flow out was a bit retarded and a little... uneven? I was working with it in the high 50's and (doh!), it didn't behave at all well. I've found the stuff behaves much better at room temperature or better. Seems to like 70 degrees for me... It gets cold here and I use a little electric heater to equilabrate the instrument and varnish. My theory: varnish and instrument should be the exact same temperature for application to avoid unpleasant temperature shock.

thanks for the comments, I think ill go for it in a heated garage before deciding to insulate and heat mine

I sprayed my first two ukes with ktm9, and I have to say that I like it very much. It was slightly colder than room temperature and that may have accounted for the massive orange peel, but more likely that is more due to my lack of experience with spraying. I buffed out the first uke and am quite impressed with the quality of this finish. I went with doolins method of finishing with ktm9 and found that at 8 coats my finish is whisper thin, I will aim for 12-14 coats next time to avoid some worry while sanding.

Top Bottom