Oahu for 5 weeks, what to do

rockyl

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'll be on Oahu for 5 weeks and looked at the previous thread by The Big Kahuna on what to do and see when there for a few days.

What recommendations do you have for a longer stay?

--Rocky

First things first - even if you are not planning to buy a uke -- get to Hawaii Music Supply on the North Shore, it really is nirvana.

Try to have a drink at both the House Without A Key in the Halekulani at sunset, when the former Miss Hawaii does the hula.

Catch happy hour at the Kanikapila Grille in the Outrigger where they have wonderful live music.

If you have never been to Pearl Harbor, it is quite inspiring.

The locals will surely chime in with lots of ideas for you - have fun!

when the former Miss Hawaii does the hula

She was Miss Hawaii 1959. She walks onto the stage, forgets why she's there, then breaks a hip. Great entertainment.

:eek:ld:

Good suggestions, Wickedwahine11.

I would add a trip to Cholo's up on North Shore, @1/4 mile from HMS. Atmosphere is great as are the drinks.

Maybe do the walk/hike/climb up Diamond Head (we do it every time we get over there!) worth the effort!

Aloha Bowl Swap Meet/Flea Market/etc., great fun, they have stuff from typical tourist stuff, good handcrafts, a few local Ukulele makers, and as fun way to see people from tourists to locals.

Head over to Leeward, the beaches at Ko Olina are very touristy, but nice.

And DON'T, I say, DON'T miss a Shrimp Truck! (our favorite is Giovanni's, but they are all good.)

The beach over at Kailua is beautiful. And watch for the occasional Surfing Pit Bull.

The Byodo In Temple over on Windward is a place I could spend days, it's so peaceful and tranquil it's hard to believe that it's surrounded by housing developments.

bobinde

The road to Tantalus, the state park atop Tantalus, and the Palace, are not to be missed.
http://youtu.be/fou1JgaUqPE

Five weeks...wow. You will see it all. And I mean all. Three times over.

Kim Taylor Reece's home photography studio is a great way to spend an hour.

Doris's Duke's museum, and Senator Fong's garden, come to mind. People are going to have to imagine things off the beaten path for you...all the usual stuff jumps right out. Andrew at HMS knows some less traveled hiking trails. koKo head crater is a steep one (I missed out on hiking it).

Last edited:
Oahu sometimes gets a bad rap from a lot of people because they only think of Waikiki. Make sure you get around to visit other beaches around the island. There are some spectacular ones and often have nary a soul on them.

Still a babe tbh :)

I'm still planning on marrying the young lady in this video, if I can ever find out who she is ;)

Don't know how you even notice the young lady when Led is playing. :) Magically, masterfully sublime.

I would visit every ukulele factory that I could find. I'd visit all the music stores I could find, too, you never know when there might be a jam session. Lots of the bars and restaurants probley have live music too.

Wish we could, but those inter-island flights are so expensive!
Rocky, just wait until you eat out! You'll have more luck finding a cocobolo sopranino than you will finding even a junk food meal for under twelve bucks per person. Bring a full bank account of disposable cash.

As suggested by others, the cheapest place you'll dine. Lol. And those are the cheaper North Shore prices!

image.jpgimage.jpg

We were getting tired of spending $20+ bucks each for three tacos and a Coke, so we asked around. "Gotta go to pizza on Kuhio (one block off Waikiki). Meal for five bucks. Popular place," they insisted. I forget the name of the place, but three people said it was tops. I even found it on Yelp, five stars!

We were ravenous from trying to get by on one or two tiny meals a day, just like all the tourists. You can tell the tourists on Oahu because, other than the 30 seconds of oohs and aahs when the bus lets them out to see Blow Hole or other such natural wonder, the rest of the time they look like they're shellshocked from finding out the place no longer looks like it did in Elvis's Blue Hawaii movie. Anyhow, we skulked back to Kuhio, knowing the area well from our many foam-box, plastic-forked $15 meals of six pieces of flank steak over an ice cream scoop of white rice, while standing in the back of the most expensive supermarket on earth, Kuhio Food Pantry (this, by the way, is the most popular meal place on Waikiki...ask anyone who has stayed at the beach for more than a long weekend and they will have bought a $6 bag of Lays potato chips--"Hey, grab a $9 six pack of Mountain Dew and there's tomorrow's breakfast, hun!"--at the old Food Pantry).

Anyhow, The famous, five-star pizza joint? A homemade plywood pizza wagon set up in a dirt parking lot between two low-rise, faded, flamingo-pink apartment buildings...whenever the guy decides to work (you never know if he'll show up or not...that's the mealtime entertainment), he fires up a flatiron and makes pizzas with dough from his apartment kitchen. He had people lined up before he got there, delirious for cheap eats, and all for a standard NY cheese slice plus medium Coke for five bucks.

If the six grubby lawn chairs by his propane tanks are occupied by other vitamin-deficient tourists (no salads), then sit on the curb by the bus stop, which is what most everyone did (tip:never wear white shorts or else, rather than group-dining on the curb, you'll have to eat your slice standing against an exhaust-sooted palm tree, alone).

Cheapest "meal" we had on all of Oahu! Lol. The same slice plus drink at Whole Foods chain supermarket in Kailua (you'll go there too, small island) cost us twice as much...lol. So, what the hell, i can play along with a joke: I gave him high marks on Yelp, too. Lol I.deducted one star because the least he could do was wash off the curb for us with that green garden hose that he uses to re-moisten the pizza dough. Come on, customers first, brah!

Last edited:
Still a babe tbh :)

I'm still planning on marrying the young lady in this video, if I can ever find out who she is ;)

If you did, we now know how you'd die :rolleyes:

Catch a show at the Outrigger, Society of Seven. Great performers and a really good bunch of guys. Definitely take the tour at Kamaka and Ko'olau factories.
As far as food goes, you don't need to empty your wallet to eat well. L&L is a good bargain, they are all over the place. Try Kin Wah Chop Suey on Kam Highway in Kaneohe. Nothing to look at and horrible parking but great food. Pah Ke's further down Kam Highway is also really good. Korean Barbecue is also ono. In Kailua there's a place called Cinnamin's that's got good food.
I spend 4-5 weeks on Oahu every summer visiting my wife's family and never run out of good places to eat.
Henry Kapono plays in the Aloha Tower one or two nights a week.
I usually go to Ala Moana Beach Park to swim. Lot's of parking and not too crowded during the week. Mostly locals hang out there.
Definitely go to the North Shore and visit HMS. I bought a tenor from them last July. Great selection and really good people.
Keep us updated during your trip and have a great time.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (unless I missed it, reading at work between tasks!) is the Iolani Palace tour. Generally I'm not a fan of guided-tour type things, but this one was amazing and moved me to tears.

Here's a copy/paste of my standard "what to do on Oahu" response that I've given here many times (and to lucky friends who travelled over the summer:

Walking distance just past the tourist area of Waikiki is Kapahulu Avenue, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods. The prices at Good Guys Music are decent but the uke selection can be hit or miss - worth a stop though. And you can take a side trip to Bailey's Aloha Shirts down the street to bring back a wearable souvenir, grab something to eat at Ono Hawaiian Foods or Rainbow or Zippy's, and some shave ice at Waiola. Add in some afternoon beach time and some music in the evening, and that just about describes my perfect Honolulu day.

As for music - it's been a couple years since I was last there and a lot has changed, but it looks like Taimane still plays at the Hyatt sometimes - definitely worth checking out... Used to be you could catch Troy Fernandez busking uke on Kalakaua, but I hear he's moved to the mainland... the guys at Ukulele Pua Pua can probably point you in the right direction of some good music though. And even if you're not super into the Hawaiian music thing, Cyril Pahinui at the Kani Ka Pila Grille is worth catching, and the bands and hula at House Without a Key are always good.

As for food being pricey - it is. I find restaurant breakfasts to have the most sticker shock, so I always try to stay places that have a kitchen. (And I'm always surprised by how inconsistent groceries can be priced - a dozen eggs can cost three times as much as here on the mainland, but an avocado can cost half of what it does in California.) In addition to the aforementioned shrimp trucks, the food truck trend in general has hit Honolulu and I'm told that good ones can be found in Chinatown and downtown, so that might be worth checking out. Staying out of chain restaurants helps as well - the dive places I like on Kapahulu, for instance, don't seem much spendier than their equivalents here in California.

Top Bottom