PDA

View Full Version : Oahu for 5 weeks, what to do

rockyl
10-19-2014, 09:15 AM
I'll be on Oahu for 5 weeks and looked at the previous thread by The Big Kahuna on what to do and see when there for a few days.

What recommendations do you have for a longer stay?

--Rocky

wickedwahine11
10-19-2014, 09:21 AM
First things first - even if you are not planning to buy a uke -- get to Hawaii Music Supply on the North Shore, it really is nirvana.

Try to have a drink at both the House Without A Key in the Halekulani at sunset, when the former Miss Hawaii does the hula.

Catch happy hour at the Kanikapila Grille in the Outrigger where they have wonderful live music.

If you have never been to Pearl Harbor, it is quite inspiring.

The locals will surely chime in with lots of ideas for you - have fun!

The Big Kahuna
10-19-2014, 09:36 AM
when the former Miss Hawaii does the hula

She was Miss Hawaii 1959. She walks onto the stage, forgets why she's there, then breaks a hip. Great entertainment.

:old:

bobinde
10-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Good suggestions, Wickedwahine11.

I would add a trip to Cholo's up on North Shore, @1/4 mile from HMS. Atmosphere is great as are the drinks.

Maybe do the walk/hike/climb up Diamond Head (we do it every time we get over there!) worth the effort!

Aloha Bowl Swap Meet/Flea Market/etc., great fun, they have stuff from typical tourist stuff, good handcrafts, a few local Ukulele makers, and as fun way to see people from tourists to locals.

Head over to Leeward, the beaches at Ko Olina are very touristy, but nice.

And DON'T, I say, DON'T miss a Shrimp Truck! (our favorite is Giovanni's, but they are all good.)

The beach over at Kailua is beautiful. And watch for the occasional Surfing Pit Bull.

The Byodo In Temple over on Windward is a place I could spend days, it's so peaceful and tranquil it's hard to believe that it's surrounded by housing developments.

bobinde

wickedwahine11
10-19-2014, 09:54 AM
She was Miss Hawaii 1959. She walks onto the stage, forgets why she's there, then breaks a hip. Great entertainment.

Nope. Not even close.

http://youtu.be/1-1kaQGSvOQ

coolkayaker1
10-19-2014, 09:58 AM
The road to Tantalus, the state park atop Tantalus, and the Palace, are not to be missed.
http://youtu.be/fou1JgaUqPE

Five weeks...wow. You will see it all. And I mean all. Three times over.

Kim Taylor Reece's home photography studio is a great way to spend an hour.

Doris's Duke's museum, and Senator Fong's garden, come to mind. People are going to have to imagine things off the beaten path for you...all the usual stuff jumps right out. Andrew at HMS knows some less traveled hiking trails. koKo head crater is a steep one (I missed out on hiking it).

The Big Kahuna
10-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Nope. Not even close.

http://youtu.be/1-1kaQGSvOQ

Still a babe tbh :)

I'm still planning on marrying the young lady in this video, if I can ever find out who she is ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVq93FRWI-g

Ukulele Eddie
10-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Oahu sometimes gets a bad rap from a lot of people because they only think of Waikiki. Make sure you get around to visit other beaches around the island. There are some spectacular ones and often have nary a soul on them.

saltytri
10-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Still a babe tbh :)

I'm still planning on marrying the young lady in this video, if I can ever find out who she is ;)

Don't know how you even notice the young lady when Led is playing. :) Magically, masterfully sublime.

Nickie
10-19-2014, 01:34 PM
I would visit every ukulele factory that I could find. I'd visit all the music stores I could find, too, you never know when there might be a jam session. Lots of the bars and restaurants probley have live music too.

vanflynn
10-19-2014, 02:04 PM
+1 on shrimp trucks and uke factories.

Waimea Valley on the North Shore is great (after you stop at HMS!) http://www.waimeavalley.net

The Big Kahuna
10-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Catch a flight to Kauai.

rockyl
10-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Catch a flight to Kauai.

Wish we could, but those inter-island flights are so expensive!

iDavid
10-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Eat a ton of Korean BBQ and go to HMS!

The Big Kahuna
10-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Eat a ton of Korean BBQ and go to HMS!

Yeah, cause their toilets aren't stinky enough.

coolkayaker1
10-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Wish we could, but those inter-island flights are so expensive!
Rocky, just wait until you eat out! You'll have more luck finding a cocobolo sopranino than you will finding even a junk food meal for under twelve bucks per person. Bring a full bank account of disposable cash.

As suggested by others, the cheapest place you'll dine. Lol. And those are the cheaper North Shore prices!

We were getting tired of spending $20+ bucks each for three tacos and a Coke, so we asked around. "Gotta go to pizza on Kuhio (one block off Waikiki). Meal for five bucks. Popular place," they insisted. I forget the name of the place, but three people said it was tops. I even found it on Yelp, five stars!

We were ravenous from trying to get by on one or two tiny meals a day, just like all the tourists. You can tell the tourists on Oahu because, other than the 30 seconds of oohs and aahs when the bus lets them out to see Blow Hole or other such natural wonder, the rest of the time they look like they're shellshocked from finding out the place no longer looks like it did in Elvis's Blue Hawaii movie. Anyhow, we skulked back to Kuhio, knowing the area well from our many foam-box, plastic-forked $15 meals of six pieces of flank steak over an ice cream scoop of white rice, while standing in the back of the most expensive supermarket on earth, Kuhio Food Pantry (this, by the way, is the most popular meal place on Waikiki...ask anyone who has stayed at the beach for more than a long weekend and they will have bought a $6 bag of Lays potato chips--"Hey, grab a $9 six pack of Mountain Dew and there's tomorrow's breakfast, hun!"--at the old Food Pantry).

Anyhow, The famous, five-star pizza joint? A homemade plywood pizza wagon set up in a dirt parking lot between two low-rise, faded, flamingo-pink apartment buildings...whenever the guy decides to work (you never know if he'll show up or not...that's the mealtime entertainment), he fires up a flatiron and makes pizzas with dough from his apartment kitchen. He had people lined up before he got there, delirious for cheap eats, and all for a standard NY cheese slice plus medium Coke for five bucks.

If the six grubby lawn chairs by his propane tanks are occupied by other vitamin-deficient tourists (no salads), then sit on the curb by the bus stop, which is what most everyone did (tip:never wear white shorts or else, rather than group-dining on the curb, you'll have to eat your slice standing against an exhaust-sooted palm tree, alone).

Cheapest "meal" we had on all of Oahu! Lol. The same slice plus drink at Whole Foods chain supermarket in Kailua (you'll go there too, small island) cost us twice as much...lol. So, what the hell, i can play along with a joke: I gave him high marks on Yelp, too. Lol I.deducted one star because the least he could do was wash off the curb for us with that green garden hose that he uses to re-moisten the pizza dough. Come on, customers first, brah!

iDavid
10-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Yeah, cause their toilets aren't stinky enough.

Sounds a bit personal..lol

Plate Lunch Baby!

PhilUSAFRet
10-20-2014, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=The Big Kahuna;1592214]Still a babe tbh :)

If you did, we now know how you'd die :rolleyes:

peanuts56
10-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Catch a show at the Outrigger, Society of Seven. Great performers and a really good bunch of guys. Definitely take the tour at Kamaka and Ko'olau factories.
As far as food goes, you don't need to empty your wallet to eat well. L&L is a good bargain, they are all over the place. Try Kin Wah Chop Suey on Kam Highway in Kaneohe. Nothing to look at and horrible parking but great food. Pah Ke's further down Kam Highway is also really good. Korean Barbecue is also ono. In Kailua there's a place called Cinnamin's that's got good food.
I spend 4-5 weeks on Oahu every summer visiting my wife's family and never run out of good places to eat.
Henry Kapono plays in the Aloha Tower one or two nights a week.
I usually go to Ala Moana Beach Park to swim. Lot's of parking and not too crowded during the week. Mostly locals hang out there.
Definitely go to the North Shore and visit HMS. I bought a tenor from them last July. Great selection and really good people.
Keep us updated during your trip and have a great time.

janeray1940
10-20-2014, 11:59 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (unless I missed it, reading at work between tasks!) is the Iolani Palace tour. Generally I'm not a fan of guided-tour type things, but this one was amazing and moved me to tears.

Here's a copy/paste of my standard "what to do on Oahu" response that I've given here many times (and to lucky friends who travelled over the summer:

Walking distance just past the tourist area of Waikiki is Kapahulu Avenue, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods. The prices at Good Guys Music are decent but the uke selection can be hit or miss - worth a stop though. And you can take a side trip to Bailey's Aloha Shirts down the street to bring back a wearable souvenir, grab something to eat at Ono Hawaiian Foods or Rainbow or Zippy's, and some shave ice at Waiola. Add in some afternoon beach time and some music in the evening, and that just about describes my perfect Honolulu day.

As for music - it's been a couple years since I was last there and a lot has changed, but it looks like Taimane still plays at the Hyatt sometimes - definitely worth checking out... Used to be you could catch Troy Fernandez busking uke on Kalakaua, but I hear he's moved to the mainland... the guys at Ukulele Pua Pua can probably point you in the right direction of some good music though. And even if you're not super into the Hawaiian music thing, Cyril Pahinui at the Kani Ka Pila Grille is worth catching, and the bands and hula at House Without a Key are always good.

As for food being pricey - it is. I find restaurant breakfasts to have the most sticker shock, so I always try to stay places that have a kitchen. (And I'm always surprised by how inconsistent groceries can be priced - a dozen eggs can cost three times as much as here on the mainland, but an avocado can cost half of what it does in California.) In addition to the aforementioned shrimp trucks, the food truck trend in general has hit Honolulu and I'm told that good ones can be found in Chinatown and downtown, so that might be worth checking out. Staying out of chain restaurants helps as well - the dive places I like on Kapahulu, for instance, don't seem much spendier than their equivalents here in California.

Kamanaaloha
10-20-2014, 12:14 PM

My Aunt was Miss Hawaii before that and she is still very lucid and still dances a wicked hula...you're mean :p

Kamanaaloha
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Go to Nico's and other "triple D" places...for food. I am not a Rainbow Drive-Inn fan...to me it is like Zippy's...

Try Fatboy's, Pearl's Korean plenty of food for two on one plate...BBQ mixed, GyuKaku before 6pm for happy hour and cheaper cook at your table Yakiniku, Genki Sushi for conveyor type reasonably priced sushi. Kahala Zippy's has decent japanese food if you are a tempura/katsu nut...seafood...Nico's...there is a new breakfast place on Nimitz...really good portuguese sweet bread french toast...Liliha Bakery...and Cocoa Puffs!!! Best Malasadas (Portuguese Donuts without the hole...Leonard's Bakery) Good Hawaiian Food for way cheaper than Luau prices...Young's Fishmarket in Kalihi...and Ono Hawaiian Food Kapahulu (just off waikiki up from the zoo) Go to the Aquarium it has some of the rarest fish (see my picture...the Peppermint Angel)...that should get you started off the beaten path.

rockyl
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Great suggestions all, thanks! and keep them coming... I'll be staying at my daughter's place in Kailua, two blocks from the beach right across from the Moks. I'll be dropping her off at work and using her car during the day to explore, so far afield is okay!
Rocky

dusty
10-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Hit Ted's Bakery at Sunset Beach for breakfast of a large coffee and a spam musubi then hike up above Dillingham Field. One musubi will get you all the way to the Makaha Valley overlook. Take a second musubi in your pocket for the hike back.

peanuts56
10-20-2014, 04:33 PM
There's a farmers market either on Wednesday or Thursday evenings at the Longs parking ramp in Kailua. Lot's of really good food available. The Big City Diner is nearby and I have always enjoyed their food. The best dessert I have ever had is Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie. Ani's in Aiea is the only place I know of that makes it. Worth the drive to get it.
I always return home with a few extra pounds after our trips. One year we were doing a family photo with my mother and father in law and my wife's brother and his family. My wife's sister and her family flew in from San Francisco. I brought a pair of pants with me for the photo. The photo session was scheduled about two and a half weeks after we arrived. I had eaten so much that my pants didn't fit when it was time for the pictures to be taken. I had to run to KMart at the last minute to buy a new pair of pants.

greenie44
10-20-2014, 07:46 PM
My favorite restaurant in all of Oahu is Tita's in Kapahulu, before you get to the shrimp trucks. Pretty inexpensive, and the best, the best tuna salad sandwich in the world. Everything there is great.

In town, you have to hit the Golden Duck. A local Chinese place that costs the same as Chinese places on the mainland. Great egg foo young and crispy gau goo. Gina's Bar-B-Q is not quite in the same league, but very cheap and still ono.

We also really like Mac 24/7 in Waikiki - not all that cheap, but a ton of food for the money.

lancemanion
10-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Since you'll be in Kailua walk over to Buzz's steak house for a nice steak dinner. For breakfast head to Boots n Kimmos for for some macadamia nut pancakes (show up early to beat the Japanese tourists, they love this place). If you want cheap local eats, the Times Super Market does a plate lunch M-F, cheap and lots of food (ribs on Fri.). Morning Brew Coffee Shop often has live music and an open mic once a week (you might see me there). Since you'll be in Kailua it is a quick trip up to Kaneohe to visit Joe and Kristen at the Kailua factory. The nicest people in the business and they give a great tour. Since you're staying on the windward side if you're interested in marine life google "coconut island" and find the link on the website to request a tour. If you get a group together it is very inexpensive and a trip you'll remember forever. Pack a picnic lunch and bring a camera, shark lagoon is memorable. If you're like me, the best way to experience Kailua is on a bicycle, buy a cheap one on Craigslist to use while you're here. If you don't have time to sell it you can drop it off at my place and I'll sell it for you and send you the money. Others have already recommended a trip out to the North Shore to visit HMS, I second this. I know you said an inter-island flight to Kuai would cost to much. Check again, if you buy in advance they're not that much and a chance to see Aldrine play live is worth the cost any day of the week. Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask, we'll be neighbors for a few weeks.

lancemanion
10-20-2014, 11:53 PM
If you're right across from the Moks you must be staying in Lanikai, nicest neighborhood in Hawaii. Hike up to the WWII Pill boxes for the best view of the Mokuluas.

coolkayaker1
10-21-2014, 12:05 AM
If you're like me, the best way to experience Kailua is on a bicycle, buy a cheap one on Craigslist to use while you're here. If you don't have time to sell it you can drop it off at my place and I'll sell it for you and send you the money.
Amazingly kind. Made my morning to read these words. To even think to make the offer puts you in a special group, lancemanion.

Kimosabe
10-21-2014, 11:11 AM
You know that if you want to play the ukulele well you have to do a little study and practice. It takes some effort.

If you expect to find good food in a touristy area for a cheap price you haven't travelled very much anywhere in the world, unless it's Thailand, Vietnam, or China, etc..

There are great places to eat on Oahu that aren't that expensive, if you're willing to put in a little effort. Our first trips to Oahu, we used the bus going everywhere. Now we walk to many places we used the bus to get to before. Goma Tei in the Ala Moana Center gets top ratings for Japanese noodles in Honolulu. It's not that far a walk or an easy bus ride. Marukami Udon on Kuhio is fantastic, especially the curry udon, and if you go at an off time you can avoid the long lines. Hale Vietnam up on Waialae and 12th is probably the best Vietnamese on Oahu, but there are many great pho restaurants.

We've eaten at the French Laundry in the Sonoma wine country, Charlie Trotter's in Chicago, Per Se in NYC, and Chez Panisse in Berkeley and Alan Wong's in Honolulu. We know what good food is. The afore-mentioned are expensive but a damn good meal that gives almost as great an eating pleasure as those mentioned can be had at Da spot up on South King in the Moilili section of Honolulu, up near Univesity and South King, for less than $10.

So, if all you can find is crappy pizza you're not putting in any effort and you're getting what you deserve. Look at the restaurants mentioned by people here in this thread or look at some tourist books. Walk and explore. There are too many fat American tourists on Oahu. They don't walk.

When I'm in Paris or London I walk and walk. Walking to the Food Pantry in Waikiki isn't a walk. However, if you walk to the Bishop Street Cafe that's a walk and you see things. Walk up to the Manoa Farmers Market on T, Th, and Sunday. See something and get some free exercise. Walk from Waikiki to the Kapiolani Farmers Market early Saturday. My wife and I did a two hour walk around Diamond Head this morning. We're in our sixties and we're in good shape and not over-weight. We walk at least two hours every day and we work and play.

Let's just say it angers me to here some people whine about having to put in a little effort. I'm going to practice some of James Hill's lessons now for a few hours. That will take effort also but I'll get something out of it.

Oh, by the way, I paid for the lessons by walking an hour each way to my teaching job last night.

Freeda
10-21-2014, 11:13 AM
PCC

Arizona

Bowfin

Dole farm

And this:http://gfvagabond.blogspot.com/2014/01/destination-insider-damon-in-ewa-beach.html

Kekani
10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Nico's Pier 38 Friday lunch- Ramon Camarillo plays there.

Actually, first question: when are you coming?

November 22 is the UGH exhibition at the Outrigger Main. I'll be playing a couple of Friday's over the next two months with Ramon at Nico's.

rockyl
10-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Nico's Pier 38 Friday lunch- Ramon Camarillo plays there.

Actually, first question: when are you coming?

November 22 is the UGH exhibition at the Outrigger Main. I'll be playing a couple of Friday's over the next two months with Ramon at Nico's.

We'll be there Nov 4 to Dec 10. I'd love to meet you and catch your set at Nico's.

Kekani
10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Friday Nov 21st I'll be there. Give us some updates after you arrive.

vanflynn
10-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Oooh, if you are in Kailua you have to go to Angies for Malassada! (have them make them fresh)
http://www.agnesbakeshop.com/

coolkayaker1
10-22-2014, 05:37 AM
If you expect to find good food in a touristy area for a cheap price you haven't travelled very much anywhere in the world, unless it's Thailand, Vietnam, or China, etc..

There are great places to eat on Oahu that aren't that expensive, if you're willing to put in a little effort. Our first trips to Oahu, we used the bus going everywhere. Now we walk to many places we used the bus to get to before. Goma Tei in the Ala Moana Center gets top ratings for Japanese noodles in Honolulu. It's not that far a walk or an easy bus ride. Marukami Udon on Kuhio is fantastic, especially the curry udon, and if you go at an off time you can avoid the long lines. Hale Vietnam up on Waialae and 12th is probably the best Vietnamese on Oahu, but there are many great pho restaurants.

We've eaten at the French Laundry in the Sonoma wine country, Charlie Trotter's in Chicago, Per Se in NYC, and Chez Panisse in Berkeley and Alan Wong's in Honolulu. We know what good food is. The afore-mentioned are expensive but a damn good meal that gives almost as great an eating pleasure as those mentioned can be had at Da spot up on South King in the Moilili section of Honolulu, up near Univesity and South King, for less than $10.

So, if all you can find is crappy pizza you're not putting in any effort and you're getting what you deserve. Look at the restaurants mentioned by people here in this thread or look at some tourist books. Walk and explore. There are too many fat American tourists on Oahu. They don't walk.

When I'm in Paris or London I walk and walk. Walking to the Food Pantry in Waikiki isn't a walk. However, if you walk to the Bishop Street Cafe that's a walk and you see things. Walk up to the Manoa Farmers Market on T, Th, and Sunday. See something and get some free exercise. Walk from Waikiki to the Kapiolani Farmers Market early Saturday. My wife and I did a two hour walk around Diamond Head this morning. We're in our sixties and we're in good shape and not over-weight. We walk at least two hours every day and we work and play.

Let's just say it angers me to here some people whine about having to put in a little effort. I'm going to practice some of James Hill's lessons now for a few hours. That will take effort also but I'll get something out of it.

Oh, by the way, I paid for the lessons by walking an hour each way to my teaching job last night.

M. Udom, Bishop Street Cafe, blah blah. Been to them all, brah. Been to Oahu maybe a dozen times--last was for two weeks in February 2014. The places you mention are not inexpensive for what they are. They are run-down, overpriced dumps. Take M Udom, on Kuhio (an ugly street), the place you call fantastic: no air-conditioning, no bathroom, the guy throws noodles in dishwater, add a couple jumbo fried shrimp tempura (aka heart-attack on a plate), and you will still walk out of there hungry after spending $15 each (add a drink, even more) and thinking it was a deal!. Gets high marks on Yelp only bc it's, like the pizza cart, one of the few non-wallet-breakers in the area. You won't get out of Bishop Street Cafe for under $20 each. Although I like to eat a nice meal (Charlie Trotters, etc.) once in a while, and can afford it, to eat for over $15-$20 for every fast-food meal, especially in a dump in "paradise", is stretching it.

Thanks for the schooling, but you've made some personal assumptions about me that are dead wrong, K. Curious, where you live, brah? I have never lived on Oahu, but I think I've seen every square inch of it. Guess we see it differently, K. Hey, ur a big time walker, so am I (back-country hiker, I am). You can eat in your dumps, I'll eat in mine.

coolkayaker1
10-22-2014, 05:57 AM
http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/menus/dining-room

This is a tourist spot, but I just wanted to mention to Rocky that, should you venture down to Waikiki (which you may well not from Kailua; and who could blame you), Duke's buffet is a great "deal" at $16.95 each, plus and tip will come out for about $22/each, but for it, you can eat hearty and have a table right on the beachside. (Much cheaper than the "Pink Hotel" buffet a few doors away, where the wait staff changes out your fork every time you eat another plate...lol)).

Again, now that we know you're in Kailua, and that you're daughter lives there, something tells me she'll fill you in on the goods in that area (I ate at Maui Taco last time there, which was so-so, but edible). Lots of people eat at the new-ish Whole Foods, I'm sure you will. This is not a big tip, as everyone goes there, but the Kalapawi Market grilled hamburgers outdoors was one of the best lunches we ate. Buy drinks and chips in the store. http://www.kalapawaimarket.com/

KTR gallery (his home, free to browse) is out that way and something your daughter may not have been to yet (just call ahead to make sure he's there at the time you go).
http://www.kimtaylorreece.com/galleries.htm

kkimura
10-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Eat like a local, go to Zippy's!

Scrambled eggs and Portuguese sausage for breakfast
Can't get can soup anymore but the chili is good for lunch
Finish off with a Zip Min for supper

HBolte
10-22-2014, 02:19 PM
M. Udom, Bishop Street Cafe, blah blah. Been to them all, brah. Been to Oahu maybe a dozen times--last was for two weeks in February 2014. The places you mention are not inexpensive for what they are. They are run-down, overpriced dumps. Take M Udom, on Kuhio (an ugly street), the place you call fantastic: no air-conditioning, no bathroom, the guy throws noodles in dishwater, add a couple jumbo fried shrimp tempura (aka heart-attack on a plate), and you will still walk out of there hungry after spending $15 each (add a drink, even more) and thinking it was a deal!. Gets high marks on Yelp only bc it's, like the pizza cart, one of the few non-wallet-breakers in the area. You won't get out of Bishop Street Cafe for under $20 each. Although I like to eat a nice meal (Charlie Trotters, etc.) once in a while, and can afford it, to eat for over $15-$20 for every fast-food meal, especially in a dump in "paradise", is stretching it.

Thanks for the schooling, but you've made some personal assumptions about me that are dead wrong, K. Curious, where you live, brah? I have never lived on Oahu, but I think I've seen every square inch of it. Guess we see it differently, K. Hey, ur a big time walker, so am I (back-country hiker, I am). You can eat in your dumps, I'll eat in mine.

Certainly opinions are like, you know what. I have eaten all around the world and was again at Marukame Udon yesterday. There is a very good reason that there is usually a long line of mostly Asians waiting to get in. The food is excellent. After probably 20 times eating there it is still the first place on my list when I'm in Oahu. If you can eat a large bowl of soup there and be hungry you must be huge. And yes, a 4.5 rating with over 2,700 reviews just means your taste is different than most. To each his own.

Kimosabe
10-22-2014, 03:11 PM
it's easy to save money by not buying sodas. Marukami provides water glasses. I don't buy the tempura, too greasy for my taste, but as I and many others have said the noodles, especially the curry noodles, are great. I guess Tampopo must have used dish water also.

rockyl
11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
I'll be on Oahu for 5 weeks and looked at the previous thread by The Big Kahuna on what to do and see when there for a few days.

--Rocky

Well, we're here in Lanikai at my daughter's place. After lugging two 50 pound suitcases up 40+ stairs plus other bags, etc (including my Kanile'a tenor), the heat and humidity has gotten to me. Guess I'll give it a day to rest and get used to the weather and then start working on all the great suggestions everyone has given me! ;)

wayfarer75
11-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Have fun, whatever you do!

rockyl
11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Second trip to HMS in one week ;)

sonomajazz
11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Gotta check out: Piranha Brothers Band

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Piranha-Brothers-Band/313019355413782

Say hello to Michael for me...

Kekani
11-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Wondering if you're still here? Don't forget - `Ukulele Guild of Hawai`i Exhibition and Conference this Saturday, November 22 at the Outrigger Main - 9-5. There's a concert from 6-9, not sure who's playing - for sure `ukulele players.

I'm teaching a workshop at 10 (I think), and if you have time, stop by Nico's Pier 38 on Friday lunchtime (1030 to 2, or so) and introduce yourself. Ramon will be on `ukulele and tiple, and I'll be on bass.

Pueo
11-20-2014, 01:00 AM

I beg to differ, especially about Marukame Udon.
I just ate there last Saturday, one of my favorite places. No A/C - correct. You are not going there for fine dining and comfort. You are going there for authentic Japanese noodles. My wife and I both ate and were quite full afterwards and it was $17. I got curry udon, a soft egg, and Kabocha tempura, and my wife got a Ten Don, chicken, shrimp and vegetable tempura. We drank water.

Bob's BarBQ on Dillingham - looks scary, tastes amazing.
Dillingham Saimin is another great local spot.
Liliha Bakery - been open 60+ years. Great food, large portions, reasonable prices, open late. Yummy treats too.
Side Street - seems expensive, but two people can easily share an entrée and have leftovers.

In Kailua, you MUST go to Hale Kealoha and have Hawaiian Food - really good! Laulau, beef stew, chicken long rice...
Go on Friday for dinner and get excellent Hawaiian music too. The place is near the Whole Foods next to the Bowling Alley.

coolkayaker1
11-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Pueo, I respect your opinion. I have seen you on UU (longer than me) and always great posts with Aloha spirit. This post is no exception. I understand.

I do suggest that some might have forgotten what a $17 meal on the mainland gives a patron, not only for food, but for service and cleanliness of restaurant. 'A fish that lives in the water never feels wet."

Perhaps my honest, "eyes wide open" review reflects not only the restaurant itself, but Oahu in general. Paradise, it is not. From the airport (the dingiest, dirtiest, darkest airport I've ever seen in a tourist-supported economy location), to the malls (Ala Wai needs a complete teardown, Kahala Mall is a postage stamp!), to the public parks (tripping over the homeless), it's all truly taken it on the chin in the past couple of decades. In the dozen or so times we've been over thirty years, not much left to recommend the place now. Maui following suit; Kauai still bucolic enough to be reasonable if one enjoys just drinking $9 smoothies and sitting on a beach. Lol.

But I will admit, it is not the mainland; in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. M. UDom is the king of filthy Kuhio Street, no argument there.

There are just too many "Are you freaking serious? This must be a joke!" moments on any Hawaii trip these days. It has certainly changed for the worst; not good for the state as it must compete for the tourist dollar with dozens and dozens of up-and-coming destinations around the US and the world, many of which didn't even exist 25 years ago.

PS one of my dear friends from college lives in Ewa Beach, too. Been there, if only for visiting her, Skippys and gasoline. Lol It's a nice part of the island. Residential. Good. We typically stay further out from you, in KoOlina, which is resorty, inauthentic Marriott, and now Disney, version of Hawaii; few things to do out there so lots of car time, both toward Wainae to see if Dog is looking for fugitives in the beach tent city, to up and over the hills on H3.

quiltingshirley
11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
We're going to be going to the Disney Aulani in January. It's a family thing & we're the tag a long grandparents. (Kids are 5 & 8) the rest are adults & college age. We've spent short times on the island before but never enough time to get to HMS. If we take a car, how do we get there? Since I told the girls about the zoo, guess we'll be driving into Honolulu too. (The traffic!) The kids plan to spend their days swimming in the pools so figure we'll hang out with them and a shark, ukulele kind.

Pueo
11-20-2014, 07:58 AM
I kind of have an interesting perspective on things: I grew up in southern California and was a frequent visitor to Hawaii since 1979. I moved to Oahu with my Hawaiian wife after getting a job offer three years ago. Oahu was our least favorite island at the time, for all the reasons you mentioned. Truth is, after living here instead of just visiting, that there are plenty of nice spots on Oahu, you just kave to get out there and look, like Kimosabe said. Incidentally, Ala Moana Center is going through a MAJOR overhaul at the moment, as well as both Kuhio and Kalakaua in Waikiki. Downtown Honolulu has the same issues as any other modern metropolis, including drugs and homeless, but honestly it is much better than it used to be from my memories as a visitor. True, I prefer to stay in my nice clean neighborhood and avoid the hustle and bustle and traffic of Waikiki, but sometimes I want to see some music and get something I'm craving to eat. I would love to show you a different side of Oahu...

Kekani
11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Imo, Waikiki is NOT what O'ahu is about. If you spend a vacation there, just use it to sleep. Rockyl will see different in Lanikai for sure.

HMS is up Kunia Road or H2, through Wahiawa to Haleiwa. Go through Haleiwa Town, its right next to the gas station, which is the first business. If you hit McDonald's, you past it. Just follow the signs to the North Shore.

quiltingshirley
11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks. That sounds easy enough. McD's too. They gotta have the spam there. What can I say. we like it.

LanikaiLeon
11-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I just read this whole thread - it's truly interesting to see everyone's different takes on Oahu. Paradise truly is a matter of opinion!

Kimosabe
11-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Maybe this is the first time Proust has been quoted on this forum. I doubt he played the uke. He did however say something to the effect that paradise is always something one has lost.

California was much less crowded when I was young. Oakland seemed much less dangerous but I still enjoy going to Yosemite and I still enjoy walking around Lake Merritt. I used to love the record stores and bookstores in San Francisco. Most of them are gone. No one listens to records any more or very few do.

My wife and I recently had a lovely walk out at Kawaiinui Marsh out in Kailua where we saw some very rare Hawaiian moorhens and a few days before that we took a great hike up Pu'u Pia Trail in Manoa with a friend of ours. We took him afterwards to Da Spot on South King and he said his friends had been telling him he should really try it. He's from Houston.

This morning we did our usual two hour walk but walked out to Magic Island and back instead of going around Diamond Head or up to Manoa. it's always pleasant to walk in the mornings around Honolulu even if it isn't what it once was. I know years from now these days now will be days when it was even less built up. The weather at this time of year really can't be beat but I'm sure someone knows where it's better. I'd like to hear where. it's easy to criticize.
Some people seem to specialize in it.

rockyl
11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Wondering if you're still here? Don't forget - `Ukulele Guild of Hawai`i Exhibition and Conference this Saturday, November 22 at the Outrigger Main - 9-5. There's a concert from 6-9, not sure who's playing - for sure `ukulele players.

I'm teaching a workshop at 10 (I think), and if you have time, stop by Nico's Pier 38 on Friday lunchtime (1030 to 2, or so) and introduce yourself. Ramon will be on `ukulele and tiple, and I'll be on bass.

Sorry I will miss you on Friday, daughter's work interfering :-( But we will be at the Uke Ex on Sat, won't be there until the afternoon (again daughter needs to see the dentist in AM). Guess I can't complain, free room and board and I get to see my "little" girl.

Dan Uke
11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
You bored yet?

sonomajazz
11-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Didn't actually read the whole thread...

Did anyone mention the "Toilet Bowl" at Hanauma Bay?

rockyl
11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
You bored yet?

No chance...

Bought a new Pono Spruce/Rosewood cutaway from HMS to keep me occupied. Picked it up yesterday and had Corey play "White Sandy Beach" on it so I'd know what I'm suppose to sound like. Recorded him with my iPhone to keep inspired when I'm back in CA.

mm stan
11-21-2014, 03:02 PM

--Rocky
Aloha ROCKY,
Unless you give us specifics on what your preferences are, suggestions will
Be all over the map, and too hard to decipher with all the suggestions
Also what is your budget like, if you still need help after all the good suggestions, just ask

rockyl
11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Aloha ROCKY,
Unless you give us specifics on what your preferences are, suggestions will
Be all over the map, and too hard to decipher with all the suggestions
Also what is your budget like, if you still need help after all the good suggestions, just ask

I've been working my way through the list of places/things to do. I enjoy Hawaiian culture and music, and my daughter has been suggesting places to eat (I think I've eaten a zillion box lunches). Been around the island by car, been to HMS a half dozen times and bought a wonderful Pono ukulele, some easy hikes (my knees can't take much more). Going to Ukulele Guild Exhibit tomorrow and the Wiki Wiki Vintage Show (just for fun) on Sunday. Got tickets to Jake's show next month and the Marine Corps Christmas concert on 11/29. Already depressed knowing my trip is half over ;-) Just having a great time!

vanflynn
11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Remember that doing nothing is doing something too! Quiet time can be priceless in the right place.

Pueo
11-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Pacific Marina Inn, Canoe Hut Lounge, excellent Hawaiian music tonight from 10:30pm to about 1:00 am. Not a family show ;)

The Big Kahuna
11-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Got to HMS at 9:30 this morning, and discovered that open at 11. Had breakfast and walked around the shops until 11:15, but they were still closed. Oh well...

mm stan
11-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I've been working my way through the list of places/things to do. I enjoy Hawaiian culture and music, and my daughter has been suggesting places to eat (I think I've eaten a zillion box lunches). Been around the island by car, been to HMS a half dozen times and bought a wonderful Pono ukulele, some easy hikes (my knees can't take much more). Going to Ukulele Guild Exhibit tomorrow and the Wiki Wiki Vintage Show (just for fun) on Sunday. Got tickets to Jake's show next month and the Marine Corps Christmas concert on 11/29. Already depressed knowing my trip is half over ;-) Just having a great time!
Enjoying yourself on outdoor freee activites as the beach, hikes and cruising downtown and waikiki can be fun, but there is way more to do..
If you like culture, bishop museum. Polynesian Culture Center, are couple nice places hawaiian music, marriot, kona brewing company, Kanikapila grill , hilton lobby bar are just a few
as for food.. you get hailis, Alicia market, ono hawaiian food, Ruger Market, for hawaiian food.. tiki type rest, marianas.... tons of place to hike..http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/September-2013/20-Great-Oahu-Hikes/ of course check our all the k bands factories, HMS and koolau factory, and pua pua.. take some surfing lessons to may be another
fun event.. there is Auntie Wainani uke lessons in the Royal hawaiian center 3 days in the morning.. waimea valley park is nice too
drive around the island north shore, many surfing spots.. mos t famous is waimea, sunset and pipeline. always nice on the windard side too kahaluu, heeia, kailua , waimanalo
makapuu lighthouse hike, sandy beach, alan davis, koko marina, hanama bay, blow hole and lookout. driving to waianae and nanakuli to the end yokohama bay is nice too
waianae, heeia, ala wai, honolulu, haleiwa harbors is nice too... no forget the shrimp trucks in haleiwa and north shore is tasty stop too ... wward center, ala moana, pearlridge, windward mall
kailua mall, are fun too... if you make it to dillingham field in mokulea that is fun too, kaena point.. polo feild, Wailua too is a fun drive to see the empty beaches and old sugar mill get chocolate
coffee and soap for sale ahh get tired typing...plenty more if you look.. http://www.unrealhawaii.com/2009/10/kaena-point/ http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/oahuactivities/a/101oahu.htm .....http://www.gohawaii.com/oahu/plan-a-trip/events

quiltingshirley
11-22-2014, 07:05 AM
What a bunch of nice ideas. We've only been to 2 of the K factories (well, one of them enough they recognize us). They are well worth the time. It's nice to see just how our ukuleles are made and what they look like without their "tops". The one in downtown makes for a wonderful walk around. There's a place to eat near the courthouse that we sure liked for a plate lunch. (Or anything else you might like in big servings) Couldn't tell you what street but I know where it's at. Makes me look forward to January although I'd rather not spend much time in town.

The Big Kahuna
11-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Sat at LAX, waiting to board the flight to Heathrow. I love Hawaii, and I love my American friends, but after spending just over 3 weeks surrounded by you lot, I could feel my IQ dropping to a dangerously low level. It'll be nice to get home.

vanflynn
11-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Sat at LAX, waiting to board the flight to Heathrow. I love Hawaii, and I love my American friends, but after spending just over 3 weeks surrounded by you lot, I could feel my IQ dropping to a dangerously low level. It'll be nice to get home.

That's suppose to be humor, right?

Just checking.

Here's your hat, have a great flight.

consitter
11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Come to Kentucky.

We'uns will drop your IQ to zero in less than a second if you talk like that.

Kimosabe
11-22-2014, 09:41 PM
I seem to recall that an Englishman, an Irishman, a Welshman and a Scot were stranded on a tropical island, perhaps similar to our Oahu. It seems that after a day the Scot had opened a pub, and after two days the Irishman was his best customer, and after three the Welshman had organized a choir. It seems that after three weeks the Englishman was still waiting to be introduced to the others.

Glad you were more open and made some friends while here if not after parting.

consitter
11-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I seem to recall that an Englishman, an Irishman, a Welshman and a Scot were stranded on a tropical island, perhaps similar to our Oahu. It seems that after a day the Scot had opened a pub, and after two days the Irishman was his best customer, and after three the Welshman had organized a choir. It seems that after three weeks the Englishman was still waiting to be introduced to the others.

Glad you were more open and made some friends while here if not after parting.

Oh, Niq is nothing if not open. ;)

buddhuu
11-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Don't troll, Niq.

consitter
11-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Don't troll, Niq.

Niq wasn't trolling, that was just a result of the IQ points he lost while on our soil. :)

vanflynn
11-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Getting back to the original post:

Hey Rocky, did you get to Ange's yet?

The Big Kahuna
11-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Home.

Slept for 12 hours straight.

Still tired and jet-lagged to hell.

Due perhaps to over-familiarity after this trip, Kauai has been replaced by The Big Island at the top of my favourite Hawaiian islands list, with Maui in 3rd place and Oahu trailing in last place, despite being charmed by both Waimanalo and Haleiwa.

Molokai and Lanai are on the list for the next, and possibly last, trip.

consitter
11-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Home.

Slept for 12 hours straight.

Still tired and jet-lagged to hell.

Due perhaps to over-familiarity after this trip, Kauai has been replaced by The Big Island at the top of my favourite Hawaiian islands list, with Maui in 3rd place and Oahu trailing in last place, despite being charmed by both Waimanalo and Haleiwa.

Molokai and Lanai are on the list for the next, and possibly last, trip.

Kauai is my favorite island as well.

I find the 'birds of paradise' that overrun the island amusing.

consitter
11-24-2014, 12:19 AM

I find the 'birds of paradise' that overrun the island amusing.

I don't know how you did the flight from LAX to Heathrow without wanting to jump out of the plane.

We flew from Honolulu to Atlanta (9 hours), and I was about to pull my hair out.

The Big Kahuna
11-24-2014, 12:37 AM

I was always mine until this trip. I still love the place, but I think The Big Island has more to interest me now. If (when) I go back to Kauai, I won't go near Kapa'a or Hanalei again. I'd like to stay on the South shore, perhaps at Waimea or Hanapepe, and maybe further West at Kekaha. I'd like a week at Hilo on Hawaii next trip, after a few days at Kona again.

Note on Oahu...SO glad we didn't fall for the hype about the Turtle Bay Resort. Whoever took the photos for that hotel deserves a Pulitzer. It's distinctly average and drab. The only thing in its favour is the fact that it's a long way from Waikiki.

I don't know how you did the flight from LAX to Heathrow without wanting to jump out of the plane.

We flew from Honolulu to Atlanta (9 hours), and I was about to pull my hair out.

Got up at 4AM, checked out and drove to Honolulu airport.

4.5 hour wait until flight.

Approx 6 hour flight to LAX (on American Airlines, which make it feel like a 12 hour flight)

4 hour wait at LAX.

11 hour flight to Heathrow (10 minutes to pass through immigration...you hear that LAX TSA, you useless bastards! 3.5 hours to clear immigration inbound to USA)

3 hour drive home, trying desperately to stay awake.

rockyl
11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Getting back to the original post:

Hey Rocky, did you get to Ange's yet?

Not yet. My schedule is like Google maps... "recalculating... recalculating..."

The Big Kahuna
11-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Not yet. My schedule is like Google maps... "recalculating... recalculating..."

You been up to The National Memorial Cemetery at Punchbowl Crater yet? Certainly a lot more "moving" than Pearl Harbour, for a non-American, anyway.

rockyl
11-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Enjoyed the Kanile'a, Kamaka and KoAloha tours. That's Fred Kamaka with an original Nunes.

peanuts56
11-26-2014, 03:05 AM
Have taken the Kamaka factory tour, Fred is a hoot. His energy is amazing. I ordered an HF-3 and absolutely love it. I am on Oahu most every summer visiting my wife's family. I definitely want to hit the other factories for a tour. I'm saving up for another tenor from one of the other K Brands.
Hope you have enjoyed the food, I always come back with a few extra pounds after a month of local food. Have you tried the Okinawan Sweet Potato Pie from Ani's in Aiea yet? Hands down, best dessert I have ever had!

rockyl
11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
I was wondering why my pants have shrunk...
Haven't tried the Sweet Potato Pie, but enjoying the Sweet Potato/Mochi from Megumi's.

rockyl
12-12-2014, 01:03 PM
My thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. I think I visited 90% of them and had a wonderful time, including a half dozen visits to HMS, buying a new Pono tenor, Jake Shimabukuro's concert, and spending time with Kimo Hussey at my daughter's place.
Mahalo!
Rocky