Great acoustics in the WC/Loo/John

hammer40

Reaction score
On occasion, I will be sitting at my desk and will turn to face the wall to play for a bit. It's a great way to hear what your uke sounds like, since the sound will bounce off the wall back at you.

Well, I had my uke in my hands and went into the bathroom for something. I was plucking as I walked and when i got into the bathroom, boy did it sound amazing. So I sat down (seat down) on the toilet for a bit and just played. I was amazed at how great it sounded. I know we all sound better singing in the shower, but I never thought about taking an instrument into the bathroom to play.

I'm embarrassed to say, I have since gone back in there to play...and not while doing some "other" things. It must be the smaller dimensions, all the ceramic tile and glass that make the sound just bounce and reverberate.

Having been a brass player all my life, I'm constantly aware of the acoustics around me. Every room is different. I always want to play in a room with "live" acoustics. That's one (perhaps the only) good thing about electronic amplification. It can turn a dead room into a concert hall. Bathrooms are typically more live than other rooms because of all the hard surfaces. Typically, bathrooms don't have carpeting, over stuffed furniture, draperies, and other things that absorb and dampen sound waves. So, you get a lot of good vibes bouncing all around you in there. That's why everyone tends to sound more like an opera star while singing in the shower! Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have no carpets and no curtains in this house, so it is the most "live" place I've ever lived. I give my lessons in the end of my kitchen - lots of windows and hard floors and the sound is very nice and yet the room feels open.

"in the WC/Loo/John"

I always play in the can.

I'm really looking forward to the "music room" in my new house. I was in that room giving it the "clap" test Just the other day. It has tile floors and plantation shutters, so it's all hard surfaces. It's very live, perhaps too much so. But that's easy to deal with. I'll evaluate it further once my furniture is in place. Question, has anyone here had experience sound proofing a room to reduce the volume of sound escaping to the rest of the house? Of course, I want to preserve the live acoustics in the room itself. I'd just like to isolate it from the rest of the living space.

standing in front of a wall of ukes in a music store or at home, everything sounds wonderful! So, hang your ukes on the wall in the bathroom...it will also keep them humidified! :shaka:

I think I saw a picture Jon (Eugene Ukulele) posted a while back with a soprano on a hanger in the bathroom next to the paper. Ya never know when you're need to break out in song!

A guy of my acquaintance from another forum is a blues musician. Not too long since I saw a photo on the 'Net of him recording his playing while seated in the throne room. It's unlikely he was the first to try that.

Top Bottom