New ukulele

Pino

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
first I would like to introduce myself since this is my first post here (I know I'm not supposed to do it here but it's related to my question). I'm from Santiago, Chile and I got a gift like a month ago under the name of a ukulele, I say "under the name" since I'm not exactly sure if it is a ukulele or what type of uke it is (I know there are different types depending on the size and tone), here they are very rare instruments.
so, I tuned it right away and started playing (a lot of fun I must say), but now I'm wondering if you guys could help me figure out what it actually is, here's a pic (bad quality sorry):

ukulele.jpg

well, that's it, thanks! :D

Welcome to the forums Pino.

It looks like a Tahitian ukulele to me. I have never seen one in person but there are some videos up on youtube of people playing them. I have seen the on ebay ond other online uke stores. This is what wikipedia has to say.

uhh.. so what's the difference between this and "standard" ukes?
do they tune or play different or something?

thanks for the answers!

picture.php

My Tahitian ukulele has a solid body made of mahogany with carved totems. Like Hoosierhiver says, it would be a formidable weapon. I've heard it called a taro patch uke.

Mine also has eight strings and is tuned really high, almost banjo-like. I haven't met anyone who can play the thing yet, though I am certain it can be done. Then again, after looking at this one for a couple of months, I went out and got a more standard uke and learned to play.

Yours is beautiful. (fuzzy, but beautiful nonetheless)

thanks!
well, I have it tuned on GCEA and got a couple of songs already, though I believe it is a lot more easy to play than yours because of the carved totems.
will keep practicing with it, maybe someday I'll find another type of ukulele around here

The thing I like least about my Tahiatian is the tuning,you pretty much need a pick to tune it and it takes ages.Once you get it in tune you can really freak out on it.When I got mine it was strung with fishing line but I put Tenor Aquilas on it and it sounds pretty cool.

The thing I like least about my Tahiatian is the tuning,you pretty much need a pick to tune it and it takes ages.Once you get it in tune you can really freak out on it.When I got mine it was strung with fishing line but I put Tenor Aquilas on it and it sounds pretty cool.

mine is also strung with fishing line, don't think there are ukulele strings around here but I think I read somewhere that someone used banjo+violin or something else

Top Bottom