PDA

View Full Version : Friends

Hippie Dribble
10-21-2014, 07:38 AM
It is with much sadness that I must retire my membership of the forum and consequently, also from my role as moderator.

Due to ongoing and worsening health issues I have just spent nearly three months in hospital and returned home yesterday. There are great costs to pay and a reprioritising of my life is necessary.

To say that I have enjoyed my time here would be an understatement. I have met so many beautiful natured people, made wonderful friends, and learnt so much from you all, not just about ukuleles, but about life. This place has been more than a forum to me, it's been my lifeline in many ways.

Unfortunately it is time for a new stage. I want to say to you all, keep loving the ukulele and each other; keep debating heartily but respectfully and keep making this forum the wonderful place you have made it for folks like me.

Thankyou to Seeso, Rick, Staci, Ryan, Aaron and Aldrine for the running of what is THE best ukulele resource anywhere.

Cheers all and God Bless

jon

kvehe
10-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Oh, no, please say it's not true....wishing you all the best....

Kathryn

ChrisDeston821
10-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Never had an encounter but sorry to hear of your departure.. All the best for the future buddy.

cantsing
10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
It's a tremendous understatement to say that you will be missed. Consider yourself hugged.

connor013
10-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Best wishes, Jon.

Please know you have inspired my playing and -- more important -- you have helped make UU a wonderful place to spend time.

Doc_J
10-21-2014, 08:02 AM
We'll all miss you Jon. But, I respect your decision.

Hope your health improves. Wishing you all the best.

sukie
10-21-2014, 08:07 AM
What a pity you are leaving us. You are family. You are ALWAYS welcome here. Surely you will peek in from time to time?
I wish you all the best.

Ukejenny
10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm so sad to hear this. Prayers and hugs for you and for improving health.

caukulele
10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi Jon, We will miss you, but I am wishing you all the best for everything!!! And know that the love you shared, remains and grows! You take care of yourself...our health is so precious and sometime we really have to guard it.
Moment by moment, it is a wondrous journey my friend, and you have been a gift to this forum.

soupking
10-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Won't be the same without you, buddy- hasn't been, come to think of it. Get well and be well. All the best-- Matt

PS if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. I'll always be here to help, you know where to find me.

greenie44
10-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Jon -

I have always admired your playing and, more importantly, your tremendous attitude. I'm very sad to hear of your issues and truly hope for improvement. All the best thoughts and prayers.

Ukejenny
10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Thank you so much for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJtmLsJM1E&list=UUxpvJmwOe89v07WgJAmo42g&index=1

mascompro
10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Sad to hear this Jon, but wish only the best for you from this point on.

Pueo
10-21-2014, 08:40 AM
Take care of yourself Jon, I truly enjoyed your videos and your contribution to the Aloha of UU.
Best wishes to you in the future, and hope we see you around here as life permits.

Kayak Jim
10-21-2014, 08:50 AM
You've been one of the gems of UU and you will be missed.

All the best to you Jon.

Nickie
10-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Jon, I totally understand that you are taking care of yourself. I highly recommend the writings of Terry McBride, who healed himself from a life of severe mental and physical pain. He has a website, and the name of his book is "The Hell I Can't".
Best wishes, and I hope you always have a uke in your hands or nearby. And thanks for being a great Moderator!

Booli
10-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Jon,

So sorry for your health woes and that it has made you leave us.

Please know that you have greatly inspired me, both to become a better musician, but also to become a better human being.

Your energy, attitude and tireless spirit have always had a lasting and positive influence upon me, which I continually strive to carry forward. Your videos always made me feel better, as others in this thread have expressed.

I will be sending happy vibes to you as always, and wish you the best of everything.

Until next time, then...

Your brother,

Booli

PhilUSAFRet
10-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Prayers and best wishes that you fully heal. You will be missed, you were a great Moderator and uke friend.

Gary Gill
10-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all you have done here. We will keep you in our prayers.

SailQwest
10-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Hugs for you, Jon. Take care of yourself.

KoaDependent
10-21-2014, 09:12 AM
You do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself, and we'll keep your place warm for when you're ready and able to come back.

dkcrown
10-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Jon we have been in contact many times over the years. And though I have been aware of your health issues, I still feel somewhat blindsided by your impending departure. I wish you nothing but the best moving forward and I hope that you are at peace with your decisions.

If you ever need someone to talk with, you know where to look.

Peace my friend.

consitter
10-21-2014, 09:14 AM
I don't know what's going on health wise, but I can only wish you the best. I will greatly miss your presence.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

ksiegel
10-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Jon,

You had better stay in touch by e-mail!

I have to keep sending things to you!

-Kurt

WhenDogsSing
10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
May peace and love be with you and yours...

salukulady
10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Take care, keep strumming.

gnordenstam
10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Wishing you all the best. Your videos have always inspired me and pushed me to be a better player.
--G

quiltingshirley
10-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Jon,
So sorry those health issues haven't improved. You are so loved by this group. I was new to the ukulele (got a Uke and some lessons on a cruise). I found you on UU and watched your video of Railroad Bill. You are the one responsible for me continuing to play. And you've continued to help. Please peek in when you can and keep strumming.
Shirley

mm stan
10-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Aloha Bruddah Jon
So sorry to hear the bad news, I will pray for you and send you my best blessings and get well vibes
I hope you will return back when you get better and keep in touch with me through email
Please let me know how you are doing as You are a treasured friend and I care for you so much
Please also keep playing your ukes and never lose your passion for playing and for enjoying life
Awesome pleasures. ..we will talk soon and keep in touch. We are best friends forever . Happy strummings and keep strumming them strings. :) :)
Your friend, stan

BigD
10-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Always gotta take care of yourself,thats always the priority. Good wishes and better vibes being sent your way!

PereBourik
10-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Mahalo and aloha. Peace and health to you.

mailman
10-21-2014, 10:15 AM
UU is a lesser place for your leaving, Jon. Take care of yourself, and come back to see us when you can. All the best to you and yours....

gyosh
10-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Take care of yourself Jon. As you can see, you will be greatly missed.

Goodbye for now . . . :)

Tudorp
10-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Jon My brother. Being one that also had to step back due to health, do know where you are coming from. I have learned, it aint over, till it's over. I hope to hear from you from time to time, as I am sure all here hope. You will continue in my prayer brother. If not in an Admin capacity, we still hope to hear from you every so often. God Bless you my brother. Keep the faith. Life is good... ;)

sim4lin
10-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Be well. That's the important thing.
I hope to see you here again someday. :)

stevepetergal
10-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I will miss your presence here very deeply. I hope you will still be making music.

chefuke
10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
A great loss! I wish you all the best and will miss your objectiveness and creativity.
Kia kaha!

veep
10-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Thank you Jon for all you have done for the ukulele community. And get well soon!

GinnyT11
10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Jon, this is sad news for the Forum, but I hope that a renewed focus will bring you to better health. You've inspired many people, including me. Know that you matter to a large family of ukers.

Sending you strengthening thoughts and best wishes,
Ginny

Freeda
10-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Love you, man.

CeeJay
10-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Take a break,take a chill pill,take a walk .....but whatever else you take ...take a freaking Uke.......take care .....

Jarvo

vanflynn
10-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Aloha Jon, I am saddened to hear your health is not well and pray that things will get better soon. Please know that even though you aren't posting you will always be here thanks to the enthusiasm, talent, friendship, and wit that you have passed to all of us.

I hope for fast healing.

Jim

UncleMoon
10-21-2014, 02:04 PM
So I found this cool place, and found a cool guy who made cool videos and inspired me to play. I practiced and I practiced and I practiced and finally a season came up that fit the song I'd been playing over and over, so I did a video. The cool guy gave me such a great response I felt great about myself and my ability, and I kept playing (of course I wasn't as good as my first song) but I played anyway. I still do, something every day.

Thanks for the fun Jon. You really have inspired me, and I hope to someday be half as good as you. Wishing you the best at whatever you do and wherever you end up.

paullchter
10-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Jon ---You are so very loved. Please let me know how I can help.

paul

wayfarer75
10-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I hope you poke around here and there. We'll miss you.

lakesideglenn
10-21-2014, 03:14 PM
So sorry to hear of your health issues my friend! Don't know what they are but it must be serious. I've learned quite a bit from your effortless wonderful playing and am fortunate enough to own one of your many "ex" Ukes that you have passed on.
I will keep you in my thoughts, prayers, and positive mojo stream!
All the best Jon! I truly hope to see you back down the road!

PeteyHoudini
10-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Best wishes, Jon!

Please come back to us!

Petey

bonesigh
10-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Jon, take the love we have to give and fly. Think of us when you need a breeze to get up off the ground when you feel down. No, love isn't everything but it sure helps. You'll be in my thoughts and I'll play a tune just for you from time to time. Get well my Seasonista brother :music: You will be sorely missed.

lelouden
10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
So sad to here of your need to move on from this place. The place I call home and that is due to people like you. You have always been generous with your music and your comments. Love goes out to you as you press forward and find the healing power that you need. We all love you here and will sorely miss your presence. Please drop in from time to time and let us know how you are doing. Don't stop doing what you do best. You are truly an inspired artist in so many ways.

My best to you Jon! Hugs, Linda

Peterjens
10-21-2014, 05:38 PM
May your faith be your strength with whatever you are facing.
Nobody and I mean nobody plays Ain't She Sweet like you.

kohanmike
10-21-2014, 07:07 PM
All my best wishes. I recently went through some health issues, so I know how you feel. I'm sure one who will miss your efforts to keep those "not nicers" at bay.

Tigeralum2001
10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Very sorry to hear this! A piece of UU will be missing until you return. I hope you can get your health in order and return soon! Best of luck to you!

frugalaudio
10-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Very sorry to hear. Following your youtube channel has been a great source of joy to me.
Best wishes and prayers.
John in Buffalo

kaizersoza
10-22-2014, 02:32 AM
very sad to hear about you leaving, however your health must come first, hope you get well soon Jon, thank you for the help and inspiration you have given me over the years, you will be a big loss to UU, hopefully still catch you on da facebook now and then, peace brother

ukemunga
10-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Jon, just give up the maybe sometime enjoyable moderating business and hang out once in a while. No worries. We love you, man. And mahalo for all you do.

Mim
10-22-2014, 02:57 AM
What a pity you are leaving us. You are family. You are ALWAYS welcome here. Surely you will peek in from time to time?
I wish you all the best.

I agree. This is a see you later, or maybe not as often, but not a goodbye right?

Your uke family is always here! :) You are one of us, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!

Love to you!

saltytri
10-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Jon, you've been a first rate mate and mentor to me and so many others. Take care and may warmest blessings be upon you.

David

Steveperrywriter
10-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Peace, Jon.

Tootler
10-22-2014, 05:59 AM
So sorry to see you go. I've always enjoyed your videos and your style of playing.

Don't go completely. Come back occasionally & let us know how you are getting on.

strumsilly
10-22-2014, 06:16 AM
I have always enjoyed your vids, and the way your light and personality shines through them. You've been an inspiration. sending you healing and loving .

katysax
10-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Jon,

You have been a beacon of light and warmth in the ukulele community. You will be greatly missed. Take care of yourself and come back when you can.

Sherry

LOVEAGOODUKE
10-22-2014, 08:11 AM
I would just like to thank you for inspiring me with all things ukulele.

greyghost
10-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Thank you for all the great music and the inspiration. Praying for your full recovery.

good_uke_boy
10-22-2014, 09:30 AM
You answered some questions I had when I first picked up an ukulele a little over 2 years ago. And you've moderated things on the forum with good humor and grace. Please be proud of your contributions here. Best wishes.

Redeyejedi
10-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Your efforts are appreciated, thanks a be well!

Hawkshaw
10-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much. I will remember you in my prayers.

mkatz
10-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your health problems and wish you the best.

Mitch

pabrizzer
10-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Huge man hug from me Jon. Thinking of you mate!

Dan Uke
10-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Stay strong Jon

g'est
10-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Thank you so much for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJtmLsJM1E&list=UUxpvJmwOe89v07WgJAmo42g&index=1

This one really got to me! It really-really did.

Cornfield
10-23-2014, 02:11 AM
Oh, you will be missed here. Your great singing and musicianship, your wisdom in monitoring, your sense of humor will all be treasured.
Bless you.

Osprey
10-23-2014, 03:14 AM
That you will be missed is an understatement. Your videos are very enjoyable. Thank you for all you have done for the art of ukulele.
Get well and come back to us, Jon.
Cliff

BillM
10-23-2014, 03:31 AM
As so many have already said, thank you for all that you have contributed to this little party. You and I only communicated through PM a few times, but your posts and videos are thoughtful and inspiring. I'll keep a good thought for you, and I hope that all of the heartfelt affection expressed on these pages will aid you with your health issues.

Bill

wickedwahine11
10-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Jon you will be sorely missed around these parts. I'm so sorry to see you go. Get well soon and know you have many friends around these parts who will keep you in their thoughts.

HBolte
10-23-2014, 04:06 AM
I'm a bit stunned! Your excellent music will be sorely missed. You are most of the reason that I come to the site. All the best Brother Jon!

glass
10-23-2014, 04:38 AM
You all overwhelm me with your beautiful messages. Thankyou everyone. xo

hang in there and hope you dont go away too long!!

coolkayaker1
10-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Three things that I will remember about you, Jon:

That you sold me your sycamore Mya Moe and treated me like a prince.

That you are one of the few players that can truly rock a soprano ukulele.

That you, about three years ago, hand-wrote the tabs for "Hey, Hey, My My" by Neil Young for me when you played it on your baritone, in a video, so superbly. Hand-wrote! I still have it printed out on my music stand to this day.

I can think of nothing good that will come of your leaving this forum except, perhaps, with one less Mod, the place can run amok and that's always a barrel of monkeys. ;)

Thanks, Jon. I wish you the best. If your account gets locked or deleted, I'll choke up; so don't do it, thereby leaving the door open to your someday triumphant return.

buddhuu
10-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Wishing you improved health, Jon.

We'll leave the back door unlocked. Just stroll back in whenever. ;)

Take care, mate.

seeso
10-23-2014, 10:34 AM
All my best, brother.

Dougf
10-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Jon, thanks for your all your dedication as moderator, as well as your valued contributions to the forum. And a special thanks for your "Solitude" feature during season's tribute week. :) And know that you will always be loved and welcomed here.

mattydee
10-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Be well, brother. And keep playing that old time music.

acmespaceship
10-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Thank you for the time you spent with us here on UU, and best of luck as you begin a new chapter.

LifesShort
10-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Jon,

I haven't been very active here in quite a while, but still stop by from time to time. I am so sorry to hear of your health issues. I pray that God heals you completely and that you find strength and comfort in Him.

Take care and get well my friend.

southcoastukes
10-23-2014, 11:36 AM
This is truly sad news; foremost, of course, to hear of Jon’s poor health. Hearing this recent video and seeing the wrist band that's been showing up lately, I have to say I had an uneasy feeling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaovkNiOdM

Having been through this scenario myself and recovering, and seeing you bounce back before, Jon, I have no doubt that you’ll bounce back again. Rearranging priorities is part of the process, and if the Ukulele has taken too much away from other concerns, by all means step back.

I know you won’t give it up altogether – you have a gift and you simply can’t turn your back on something like that, even as you take care of other things. You’d be hurting yourself even more to walk entirely away.

And of course there’s a selfish aspect to this post. As others have said, Jon is one of the main reasons I migrated to this forum- around 4 years ago. When I got here it seemed to me that Jon was a bit underappreciated. I posted a thread with a somewhat provocative title, hoping to draw people out a bit:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?51510-How-Good-is-Eugene-Ukulele&highlight=Good+Eugene+Ukulele

We’ve all enjoyed his wit, generous spirit, and of course most of all his music. While we’ll miss the new offerings, we’re lucky to have a good store of it online and you can buy albums from his site:

http://www.eugeneukulele.com/recordings.html

I’d stock up on these.

If you can’t play for us again Jon, don’t worry, you’ve given us so much already. Best of luck, mi amigo - you’ve done more for the Ukulele and its players than you’ll probably ever know.

ukuloonie
10-23-2014, 11:44 AM
All the Best Jon.
Thinking of you always.

Kanaka916
10-27-2014, 05:07 AM
Brah, wishing you nothing but the best! As Rick said, door's always open and the lights are always on.

Fisherman
11-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Stunned to see this thread. You are an inspiration to many on here, Jon, including me. Really hoping its just a temporary absence - we'll all miss your videos, knowledge and insight.

sam13
11-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Thoughts and prayers of health and restoration coming your way.

csereduke
11-01-2014, 02:56 AM
It is with much sadness that I must retire my membership of the forum and consequently, also from my role as moderator.

Due to ongoing and worsening health issues I have just spent nearly three months in hospital and returned home yesterday. There are great costs to pay and a reprioritising of my life is necessary.

To say that I have enjoyed my time here would be an understatement. I have met so many beautiful natured people, made wonderful friends, and learnt so much from you all, not just about ukuleles, but about life. This place has been more than a forum to me, it's been my lifeline in many ways.

Unfortunately it is time for a new stage. I want to say to you all, keep loving the ukulele and each other; keep debating heartily but respectfully and keep making this forum the wonderful place you have made it for folks like me.

Thankyou to Seeso, Rick, Staci, Ryan, Aaron and Aldrine for the running of what is THE best ukulele resource anywhere.

Cheers all and God Bless

jon

Take good care of yourself Jon. We appreciate your kind spirit and lovely/fun videos of your music. Keep a positive outlook, ignore the bumps and negative vibes and hopefully things will be better soon. Keep strumming and stay in touch. Your good-natured soul is not common. Take care of it.

Jim Hanks
11-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Weve all enjoyed his wit, generous spirit, and of course most of all his music. While well miss the new offerings, were lucky to have a good store of it online and you can buy albums from his site:

http://www.eugeneukulele.com/recordings.html

Id stock up on these.
Hey Jon, if you're still reading this, have you ever considered putting this stuff online somewhere like Bandcamp.com?