PDA

View Full Version : whats the diff???????????????

zrud123
02-29-2008, 03:01 PM
i've been looking for my first uke and i need to kno what the diff. is between a concert and tenor uke? i've been told a tenor is good for a beginner but concerts can be cheaper sometimes and i really don't want to spend a lot of money a uke. i dunno which one to get:confused: plz help. thanx. zac;)

Ukulele_Junkie
02-29-2008, 03:40 PM
i've been looking for my first uke and i need to kno what the diff. is between a concert and tenor uke? i've been told a tenor is good for a beginner but concerts can be cheaper sometimes and i really don't want to spend a lot of money a uke. i dunno which one to get:confused: plz help. thanx. zac;)

well in the differences with my tenor and concert, the tenor tends to have a more deeper sound while the concert has a more brighter sound. The tenor has more frets than the concert also the tenor i believe can go up to 17 away from the body itself and the concert can only go to 15, unless u get a super concert from kanilea or kamaka which you'll be spending $600-1200. plus, price really depends on what kinda wood the ukulele is made out of, solid wood ukuleles tend to be much more than laminated ukuleles.

Dino
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Basically concert and tenor is the size. Tenor is slightly bigger a more warm full sound. A concert uke will have little brighter sound. I forget why, but my friend is a luthier and he sometimes prefers to play a concert uke.......says its easier........but I forgot the real reason why he said that.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
i started off as a soprano/concert ukuele player, but i upscaled to a tenor. I enjoy the tenor more cuz of the long neck and more room to play. I just made up a quote and its, "once u go tenor, you'll settle for no lesser" haha gay quote but its true for most people.

mossyoak
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I think a tenor is more versatile. If you have any experience on guitar I would go for a tenor. You might wanna look at Kala, Lanikai, Pono

tad
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
If you wanna be cheap, (and there's nothing wrong with being cheap!) just go ahead and get a soprano. You can get a Kala for less than a hundred bucks, and it sounds alright. I love mine.

Although, I have to admit, part of what I like about it is the plinky-plink sound of it, which I get the impression a lot of people don't care for.