Vorson steel-strriged ukes

ichadwick

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a Vorson steel-stringed tenor uke. Any comments on build quality, pickup, etc? They look great but I have been bitten by nice-looking but awful-sounding ukes in the past.

I'd appreciate any comments from owners or anyone who has played one.

Cheers
Ian

don't mean to be rude but the search bar works really well for what you want :p

I looked at the thread comments on the Vorzon and decided to skip it. Instead. I ordered a Risa LP solid body. Just received that today and I am pleased that it is a quality uke.

I've been meaning to post a video of my purchase of a Vorson Tele style uke. I did like it's looks, and the few fairly positive reviews I read made me buy. I changed the strings to heavier gauge and low G, but they're too heavy, making it difficult to hold single notes near the bridge, and I just don't like the sound of low G. I haven't gotten around to changing the strings and shooting the video. Otherwise, for the cost ($139), I think it's a nice little solid body uke. Out of the box it needs a setup, including the pickups to balance them better. I love that the saddles are individually adjustable, made setting intonation very easy. I think it's built well, the hardware is fine, but I haven't played it since changing the strings. This thread should prompt me to follow through.

Last edited:
what sort of amp you use? a smokey seems like it would go well with one of these. tiny with lots of distortion. i also dont like low-g for strumming...it seems more useful for picking and lead guitar type usage.

Last edited:
What sort of amp you use?

I use a 15 year old Crate Limo (USA made, not China), 50 watts, battery (that lasts 8-10 hours) with two channels, DSP effects, etc. Sounds great with the uke (and my u- and mini basses) but big and heavy. I also have a small 5 watt Chinese amp that is very adequate for my ukes.

Crate Limo.jpg

mini amp 5w.jpg

Roland Street Cube works fine for my acoustic instruments that have pickups, the Risa solid body uke and occasional microphone. It has two inputs which I find really handy if a friend wants to join in.

I've been meaning to post a video of my purchase of a Vorson Tele style uke. I did like it's looks, and the few fairly positive reviews I read made me buy. I changed the strings to heavier gauge and low G, but they're too heavy, making it difficult to hold single notes near the bridge....
I have a Risa - the old, heavy kidney-shaped model - and use Fender Bullet strings. Can't recall the gauge but likely medium. I also have a Jupiter Creek solid baritone. But I'd like something lighter than the Risa. The Risa Les Paul really appeals to me but for the price I can't justify it.

Build quality on the Vorson is otherwise good?

what sort of amp you use? a smokey seems like it would go well with one of these. tiny with lots of distortion. i also dont like low-g for strumming...it seems more useful for picking and lead guitar type usage.

Smokeys are a bit small, though... a Honeytone might be better.

I ordered two Vorsons from Zzounds this weekend. Today, two days later, I got an email saying one had shipped, the other was on backorder. I called to find out when and was told it was "indefinite."

I tried to substitute another Vorson at the same price (same tenor scale too) but they wanted DOUBLE the shipping costs for what they had already sent the one for. I spoke to a rep then to his supervisor. Same instrument - different colour - and that somehow justified the higher shipping charge. Wouldn't budge. Yet they promised to ship the back-ordered one - if it ever arrived - at the lower price.

I had the Worst Customer Service I've had in a long time from a musical supplier. Absolutely more willing to have me cancel the order than have me substitute for another one at the same price. Didn't give a damn if I ever returned as a customer. They had RULES and even if they didn't make sense, they HAD to follow them. Customers? Meh!

They lost a customer who had placed one order and would have placed more. I'm very, very disappointed in how I was treated. Never will use this company again.

Smokeys are a bit small, though... a Honeytone might be better.

yeah. I just bought a honeytone mostly for bass. The honeytone works just great as a kitchen table amp for a steel string bass. Even tested with low-b where i figured out that adding distortion makes the tone audible. Works just fine with a electric 6 stringed steel, should be great with a vorson.

One thing I did learn: my solid body ubass with thunderguts will "fart out" the honeytone about the 5th fret or so of the 'E' string.

Got the one Vorson via Fedex yesterday. Just had a little time to experiment. It's good for the price, although you might want to do some tweaking with the pickup heights and even a little fret dressing. But nothing terrible - just not set up as well as it might be. The pickups could be a little further apart, too. But otherwise it's a nice little instrument.

Any other sources for these instruments I can go to to get a second one?

I got mine from American Musical Supply. It's a fun little instrument. For the price construction is not made. Mine is playable.

Try monkey wrench music, Jim Hellar makes and specializes in both acoustic and electric stell string ukes.

Got an email from Zzounds after I complained. It basically said "our profit is more important than our customers." I was flabbergasted to read that. No attempt to resolve anything, no attempt to reach out to the customer: just to justify their bad service.

I owned and ran a UPS store for 11 years. I've worked in other retail, too. I know something about what it takes to provide good customer service and keep customers loyal. This isn't it.

Top Bottom