PDA

View Full Version : Vorson steel-strriged ukes

ichadwick
10-21-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm interested in getting a Vorson steel-stringed tenor uke. Any comments on build quality, pickup, etc? They look great but I have been bitten by nice-looking but awful-sounding ukes in the past.

I'd appreciate any comments from owners or anyone who has played one.

Cheers
Ian

bnolsen
10-21-2014, 03:46 PM
don't mean to be rude but the search bar works really well for what you want :-p

Cornfield
10-21-2014, 04:17 PM
I looked at the thread comments on the Vorzon and decided to skip it. Instead. I ordered a Risa LP solid body. Just received that today and I am pleased that it is a quality uke.

kohanmike
10-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I've been meaning to post a video of my purchase of a Vorson Tele style uke. I did like it's looks, and the few fairly positive reviews I read made me buy. I changed the strings to heavier gauge and low G, but they're too heavy, making it difficult to hold single notes near the bridge, and I just don't like the sound of low G. I haven't gotten around to changing the strings and shooting the video. Otherwise, for the cost ($139), I think it's a nice little solid body uke. Out of the box it needs a setup, including the pickups to balance them better. I love that the saddles are individually adjustable, made setting intonation very easy. I think it's built well, the hardware is fine, but I haven't played it since changing the strings. This thread should prompt me to follow through.

bnolsen
10-22-2014, 02:25 AM
what sort of amp you use? a smokey seems like it would go well with one of these. tiny with lots of distortion. i also dont like low-g for strumming...it seems more useful for picking and lead guitar type usage.

kohanmike
10-22-2014, 06:03 PM
What sort of amp you use?

I use a 15 year old Crate Limo (USA made, not China), 50 watts, battery (that lasts 8-10 hours) with two channels, DSP effects, etc. Sounds great with the uke (and my u- and mini basses) but big and heavy. I also have a small 5 watt Chinese amp that is very adequate for my ukes.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Crate Limo.jpg
http://www.fairfax67.com/images/mini amp 5w.jpg

Cornfield
10-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Roland Street Cube works fine for my acoustic instruments that have pickups, the Risa solid body uke and occasional microphone. It has two inputs which I find really handy if a friend wants to join in.

ichadwick
10-23-2014, 11:19 AM
I've been meaning to post a video of my purchase of a Vorson Tele style uke. I did like it's looks, and the few fairly positive reviews I read made me buy. I changed the strings to heavier gauge and low G, but they're too heavy, making it difficult to hold single notes near the bridge....
I have a Risa - the old, heavy kidney-shaped model - and use Fender Bullet strings. Can't recall the gauge but likely medium. I also have a Jupiter Creek solid baritone. But I'd like something lighter than the Risa. The Risa Les Paul really appeals to me but for the price I can't justify it.

Build quality on the Vorson is otherwise good?

kohanmike
10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Build quality on the Vorson is otherwise good?

I think the build quality is fine.

ichadwick
10-24-2014, 01:12 AM
what sort of amp you use? a smokey seems like it would go well with one of these. tiny with lots of distortion. i also dont like low-g for strumming...it seems more useful for picking and lead guitar type usage.

Smokeys are a bit small, though... a Honeytone might be better.

ichadwick
10-28-2014, 12:21 PM
I ordered two Vorsons from Zzounds this weekend. Today, two days later, I got an email saying one had shipped, the other was on backorder. I called to find out when and was told it was "indefinite."

I tried to substitute another Vorson at the same price (same tenor scale too) but they wanted DOUBLE the shipping costs for what they had already sent the one for. I spoke to a rep then to his supervisor. Same instrument - different colour - and that somehow justified the higher shipping charge. Wouldn't budge. Yet they promised to ship the back-ordered one - if it ever arrived - at the lower price.

I had the Worst Customer Service I've had in a long time from a musical supplier. Absolutely more willing to have me cancel the order than have me substitute for another one at the same price. Didn't give a damn if I ever returned as a customer. They had RULES and even if they didn't make sense, they HAD to follow them. Customers? Meh!

They lost a customer who had placed one order and would have placed more. I'm very, very disappointed in how I was treated. Never will use this company again.

bnolsen
10-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Smokeys are a bit small, though... a Honeytone might be better.

yeah. I just bought a honeytone mostly for bass. The honeytone works just great as a kitchen table amp for a steel string bass. Even tested with low-b where i figured out that adding distortion makes the tone audible. Works just fine with a electric 6 stringed steel, should be great with a vorson.

One thing I did learn: my solid body ubass with thunderguts will "fart out" the honeytone about the 5th fret or so of the 'E' string.

ichadwick
10-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Got the one Vorson via Fedex yesterday. Just had a little time to experiment. It's good for the price, although you might want to do some tweaking with the pickup heights and even a little fret dressing. But nothing terrible - just not set up as well as it might be. The pickups could be a little further apart, too. But otherwise it's a nice little instrument.

Any other sources for these instruments I can go to to get a second one?

katysax
10-30-2014, 04:00 AM
I got mine from American Musical Supply. It's a fun little instrument. For the price construction is not made. Mine is playable.

ichadwick
10-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I got mine from American Musical Supply. It's a fun little instrument. For the price construction is not made. Mine is playable.

I'll check them out in future. I want another... but won't go through the same crap with Zzounds again.

Ukulelerick9255
11-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Try monkey wrench music, Jim Hellar makes and specializes in both acoustic and electric stell string ukes.

ichadwick
11-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Got an email from Zzounds after I complained. It basically said "our profit is more important than our customers." I was flabbergasted to read that. No attempt to resolve anything, no attempt to reach out to the customer: just to justify their bad service.

I owned and ran a UPS store for 11 years. I've worked in other retail, too. I know something about what it takes to provide good customer service and keep customers loyal. This isn't it.