New Long Neck Super Tenor from Kanile'a via HMS

Kamanaaloha

Kanaka
UU VIP
Reaction score
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanilea-se-st-19-uvsilk-tenor-long-neck-s-1.html

attachment.php

What's the difference between a Long scale super tenor and a baritone?

19" versus 20 1/8" scale...tenor ukulele typically have 17" scales...the gimmick is to provide more room on a tenor body...I like the sound...it is richer, imho...and also allows the player to get to higher keys easier...I can only imagine what a cut out version might do. I have mine reentrant tuned and there is a noticeable difference in sound between my HF3L and my intructor's HF3...even when he plays mine, it is supah noticeable, imho.

Last edited:
wow....it's too big for me but the tones....omg....there's nothing like a Hawaiian ukulele!

these from Kanile'a are super tenors as well and have noticeably larger sound body...with ample hips.

They are gorgeous ... I am quite impressed with them ... Nice purchase ... congratulations ... what kind of strings do you have with it?

I think he's just commenting on the fact that these are new, and posting links to them on HMS.

Does anyone have a side-by-side comparison with a regular tenor and baritone? I'm interested in getting another 19" scale instrument, but from the pictures the bodies on these look really wide.

19" versus 20 1/8" scale...tenor ukulele typically have 17" scales...the gimmick is to provide more room on a tenor body...I like the sound...it is richer, imho...and also allows the player to get to higher keys easier...I can only imagine what a cut out version might do. I have mine reentrant tuned and there is a noticeable difference in sound between my HF3L and my intructor's HF3...even when he plays mine, it is supah noticeable, imho.

But, it's still re-entrant gcea, or is it baritone dgbe tuned, K? Can it be used with baritone strings? Educate me please on tunings and stringings Thanks.

It's interesting, for sure.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. I'll bet it is, too.
But, can we call it a baritone? I think we need a new name for the not-tenor/not-baritone ukulele. . I'm starting a campaign for "Helden"!

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. I'll bet it is, too.
But, can we call it a baritone? I think we need a new name for the not-tenor/not-baritone ukulele. . I'm starting a campaign for "Helden"!

I'm still waiting for side-by-side pictures with other sized ukes. There have been 19" baritones since baritones first came to market - it was Martin that eventually set the 20"+ standard. With the larger looking body, "super-tenor" sounds like marketing-speak for "hey guys, this is totally a tenor, not one of those outcast baritones"

I was just surprised to see someone other than Kamaka...FINALLY...made one. I have not bought these...this was purely informational...and yes HMS is on the cutting edge for sure...as far as the new release of a new instrument.

the sound box is a Super Tenor Kanile'a style...the fret is 19" as opposed to the >20" Bari...or standard 17" for tenors.

As far as the tuning of my Kamaka...reentrant GCEA...note "low G" is not reentrant...From Wikipedia "A re-entrant tuning is a tuning of a stringed instrument where the strings (or more properly the courses on coursed instruments) are not ordered from the lowest pitch to the highest pitch (or vice versa)."

i am sure one could tune a long neck tenor "low G" or even bari [DGBE tuning]...but why bother just get a Bari...the low G should be really good imho...but I have not done it yet...that is for my KTM-00.

Last edited:
as far as sound samples go to the HMS link...there are samples of everything there...even if not listed...you can search the site...as far as side by side comparisons...check the HMS blog site...I will call Andrew and try to get him to put up a Corey or Aaron side by side sound sample of the Kanile'a and the Kamaka.

If I was EVER to get a Kanile'a ... and I do like them ... it would be this model. I like the longer neck for more movement up the neck and larger bout does offer more sound and fuller ... I LIKE A BIG BOUT, I CAN NOT LIE!!! LOL.

But, I would be cheaper to buy a top of the line Pro Classic Baritone Pono ... and string it linear CGEA ... with South Coast Strings ... was just talking with Dirk today about that very thing.

You can't say for sure without body measurements, but this looks like a "tweener". The scale is long enough for a Baritone - they started out with 19" and some are still made that way. The body, while it appears to be bigger than a Tenor, doesn't look quite as big as a Baritone.

You have to make up a name when you're in this "no-man's land", and there's nothing wrong with "Long-neck Super Tenor". We make a somewhat similar instrument. 20" scale with more or less a Tenor-sized soundboard - instead of a wider lower bout, ours has a greater than Tenor body depth. It also goes 16 frets to the body instead of 15. Wide and shallow produces a different tone than long and deep, but they really could have the same name.

Just the same, in our case, we went with a name indicating a lighter toned Baritone rather than a big, giant Tenor. We call ours a "Lyric Baritone". Maybe Kanilea is smarter, as Tenors are more popular.

Instruments like these are nice when strung in reentrant A tuning - reentrant G isn't bad either, and reentrant G really gets nice with the 20" scale. Still, a B flat linear tuning is very sweet. Capo at the second fret if you need to get back to C tuning on occasion.

Last edited:
If I was EVER to get a Kanile'a ... and I do like them ... it would be this model. ... But, I would be cheaper to buy a top of the line Pro Classic Baritone Pono ... and string it linear CGEA ...

Hey Simon, before you go for another Pro Classic, you should experience the joyous sound of a Kanile'a! ;) I know the Pro Classics are really nice, but a Kanile'a may be equally nice, albeit in a different way.

Top Bottom