PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Soundhole Sizes for Concerts and Tenors

snowbird99
10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Any suggestions for optimal soundhole sizes for concerts and tenors. I am currently building a concert and planning on 2 1/4". Sound about right?

I would like to build a tenor next and I was thinking about going with a 2 1/2" soundhole, but I was also considering 2 5/8" or even 2 3/4".

I am not an expert on theory, but my understanding is that if it is too small, the sound can't get out, and if it is too big, the soundboard can't do its job right. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your input.

BlackBearUkes
10-21-2014, 08:21 PM
I would suggest you look at the Martin ukes and study their design. Its a great starting place. I will say this about sound hole size: too small a sound hole lowers the resonance and can muffle the sound, depending on wood and body depth and size. Too large a sound hole seems the brighten the sound and gives a false sense of volume IMO, (many new builders fall into this trap).

Hammond
10-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Here is a page with some information. http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/sounds.html

Hope this link help you a bit.

You may not only consider about the loudness factor on this situation.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-22-2014, 03:55 AM
2.5" tenor is good
i cant' remember what a concert is- about 2.25" though

snowbird99
10-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Thank you all for your input. I liked that link with the different dimensions for each size of uke. I have always thought it would be interesting to buy that Left Brain Luthier book. The author seems to be really sharp.

I think I am going to go with 2 1/4" on my concert and 2 1/2" on my tenor. I will keep you posted after I give it a shot. Thanks.

Chris_H
10-22-2014, 04:17 PM
This all sounds like a typical conversation had by men...

Why all the focus on the hole, and surrounding areas? Without experienced, delicate attention to her neck, without firm and clear intent, she will never sing anyway...

Oops..

IamNoMan
10-22-2014, 04:21 PM
The sound hole diameter on my Martin Tenor is 2-5/8".

snowbird99
10-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Why all the focus on the hole, and surrounding areas? Without experienced, delicate attention to her neck, without firm and clear intent, she will never sing anyway...

Oops..

Excellent post!

davidrboy
10-23-2014, 06:34 AM

Oops..

Yup. You won the internet today.

Chris_H
10-23-2014, 08:24 AM
It seemed funnier last night.. I should have locked the keyboard up after work. The pain meds I am on right now made it seem funny at the time. I smashed my foot with a heavy board 2 weeks ago, resulting in a couple of broken toes and some other fractures.

Cheers.

jcalkin
10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
This one is easier than the bridge position question. Make a uke with an over-size soundhole, then a set of plugs with various size ports. If there is a difference, permanently mount the one that sounds best. You may never figure out why its best, but you will know the proper size soundhole for that model. Its the curse of some intellects to have to track down every last variable in a project before beginning. The rest of us will just crank out a bunch of ukes and settle on what seems to work best. Neither path is better, we just have to have our own kind of fun.