Garth-a-thon Thread

ohmless

Reaction score
I plan on making a vid once a week for a year of Garth Brooks songs. Here is the first of many to come. Inspiration? There is pitifully little garth music on youtube and little done on the ukuelele.

I am posting these as a thread so I won't be spamming the forum with several individual posts.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video! Also a fan, he is in my total top ten artists and was my fave for years. I saw him in concert three times, that man give and gives to the audience, what an awesome performer! He is what "superstar" originally meant (maybe 40 years ago).

Last edited:
that was exactly what I was going for, an intimate rendition more than a fully fleshed out production. thanks for also appreciating it.

This weeks Garth-a-thon week 2 offering is a ghost story written by Dan Roberts, Bryan Kennedy and Garth Brooks. It was on the Fresh Horses album. Please pardon the breathing issues as I clearly have a cold. Enjoy the bed head too. haha.

This song along with That Old Wind and a November release date for Fresh Horses really reinforced the autumnal feel of the whole album. Happy Halloween!

the sweet and cool way you sing it make it sounds like a Mark Linkous song, so, bravo !

thanks for the lead on some music to look up. Never heard of Sparklehorse before. After hearing "It's a Wonderful Life" I would have to agree with you, though it was purely coincidental. Think I might keep listening to this album. It reminded me of the Velvet Underground.

I did two covers of this one man band : a very depressive songwriter with such beautiful songs, gone to soon...

hope you'll have other listeners, what you do is special and I like it.

Week 3 of Garth-a-thon and still going strong. Here is "Much Too Young(to feel this damn old)", Garth's first single off his self titled debut was also present on his demo CD. One of my favorites. He is also the songwriter on this one along with Randy Taylor.

Last edited:
Garth-a-thon week 4's song is the first single off of Garth's 6th album called Fresh Horses. It is written by Victoria Shaw and Garth Brooks.

Garth-a-thon week 5's song is my favorite one off of his eighth album, Scarecrow. The fourth single from that album, "Thicker Than Blood" is co-written by Garth Brooks and Jenny Yates.

I'm enjoying the vids. You're exposing me to some Garth that I haven't heard. I only do The Dance and Friends in low places. Thanks for broadening my horizons. I look forward to more. Dig the new look btw.

Last edited:
Garth-A-Thon week 7's song is one Garth often covered in concert and was on his 1986 demo CD called "Hungry Years". It was written and originally released by Jerry Jeff Walker in 1968.

Garth-A-Thon week 8's song is the 4th single from Garth's In Pieces album. It was written by Gary Burr and Pete Wasner. Released in May of 1994.

I went to an ukulele concert put on by Elderly Instruments last weekend and noticed both the professional ukers to use lots of thumb strumming. Thought I would strengthen up my pollex muscles.

Oh I definitely will be doing that one. Want to skill up on my finger picking before I put that one out as that is the way I envision doing it right.

Garth-A-Thon week 9 brings us the first single off the Scarecrow album. It was written by Wayne Kirkpatrick and hit #5 on Billboard's country chart.

Written by Tony Arata, this song was last track on the Garth Brooks self titled album and fourth single released from the album. Released in April 1990, it won song of the year and video of the year by the Academy of Country Music.

I played it on my Mickey Mouse soprano because my voice with some of the low notes wasn't very loud and I was getting drown out by the concert.

Week 11's song was originally written by Paul Stanley of Kiss in 1976 and redone by Garth Brooks on the tribute album called "Kiss my A$$" in 1994. They performed it live together on some late night talk show.

Week 12's song was written by Stephanie C. Brown with Garth Brooks for the 1991 Ropin' the Wind Album. It was the fourth track and unreleased as a single.

Top Bottom