New Mainland

Hawkshaw

Reaction score
Just got a beautiful Mainland tenor. I think it has Aquila strings on it which I'd like to change out. It has a would low G. What strings do folks like that that uke. What about Worth clears with an unwound low G. I know that the "strings" thread are overdone but thanks for the help.

I have Worth clears on my tenor and love them. My tenor isn't a Mainland - it is a KPK.

Congrats on the new uke ... hope you enjoy it greatly!

My son put Fremont black low g on his Mainland longneck concert pineapple. Amazing transformation...for a concert, deep and rich.

Let the Aquilas settle in and play them for a while, unless you just can't stand the wound low G. I immediately switched out the Aquilas that came on my Ohana and after Living Waters, Aquila Reds and Fremont clears, I'm back to Aquilas. Not sure they're the solution, I'm looking for warmer tone, the cedar top is pretty bright. Maybe I'll try Worth browns and/or Fremont blacklines.

Last edited:
I have Aquilas on mine, but I know they're not for everybody-- they're big and brash, which I love. If you want to mellow out your uke, I think Worth Browns is the way to go.

I have Aquilas on all of my ukes with a low wound G. Actually, there is one that doesn't have the low G but, it does have Aquila strings.;)

What do you think of the tenor Mainland necks? Are they too thin, too thick, just right?

I'm curious. I like my soprano but find its neck on the thin side.

Who did you purchase your Mainland from? How was the service? If it was shipped Who? And how was the service?

Living Waters low-G sounds pretty eff-ing awesome on mine.

Nice. But what kind of wood is it made from? Spruce, mahogany, cedar, mango? That will effect the strings you choose and the answers you receive.

MY Mainland is a cedar topped tenor. I got it directly from Mainland and I can't say enough about their product and service. Mike is very accessible via email or telephone. It was shipped UPS without a hitch. I don't notice the size of the neck but I don't think it's too thick. For me, it's just right. I appreciate the feedback.

Southcoast HML-RW are my favorite tenor strings. Note that includes a wound low G and a wound C. The clear low G strings - generally - are OK but tend to be a little floppy and thuddy. Wound lower strings tend to be a bit boomy and squeaky. The Southcoast strings are nicely balanced and the lower strings are neither squeaky nor overpowering. If the HML are too heavy then the ML.

Top Bottom