fret wire size.

violinvic

Reaction score
I am building my second concert uke and would like some input on fret wire sizes. Specifically, crown height and crown width for a concert. Thanx, Pals, Vic.

I am building my second concert uke and would like some input on fret wire sizes. Specifically, crown height and crown width for a concert. Thanx, Pals, Vic.

try check out the specs on Hana lima shop, there fretwire is the best size ive used so far. almost the same as Koaloha ukuleles nice and fat.

try check out the specs on Hana lima shop, there fretwire is the best size ive used so far. almost the same as Koaloha ukuleles nice and fat.

Agreed, Hana la ima is the only one I use. Quality plus.

I think that fret size is very much a personal preference issue. I like playing instruments with small frets. Some like their frets bigger. I don't think that there is really a right or wrong answer.

Anthony

I've been using the StewMac 764 fret wire almost exclusively. It feels and looks right to me.

I think that you will find that a great many of the pro's here are using StewMac's 764.
Not great if you're are trying to trim for a bound fretboard. Its so soft, it just wants to bend every which way.
On my next build I'll be using the gold EVO fretwire from LMI. I use that on my guitar builds, and while its much harder than nickel/silver, you can still use regular tools (unlike SS). Their small size is a just little bit bigger than the 764.
http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/fretting/fretwire/gold-evo-fretwire

I would have built at least 100 ukes with bound fret boards with this wire. As I'm sure that most of the pros here have as well. And how many millions of guitars would have been built with nickel silver wire and bound fret boards?

If you are bending the ends of the wire, then it's your technique and or tools. Time to work on both

Oh man that gold fretwire looks sweet, is it like a shiny gold or more matte copper?

Not great if you're are trying to trim for a bound fretboard. Its so soft, it just wants to bend every which way.
On my next build I'll be using the gold EVO fretwire from LMI. I use that on my guitar builds, and while its much harder than nickel/silver, you can still use regular tools (unlike SS). Their small size is a just little bit bigger than the 764.
http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/fretting/fretwire/gold-evo-fretwire

When it's buffed up it will be very shiny gold. It will tarnish to a very dirty bronze in short order depending on the environment, and the acidity of your skin. On the upper frets that don't get played by most, it will turn green black certainly within a year in my climate.

I use the evo gold- its nice stuff and looks great on warm coloured woods like koa- Like Allen says, it tarnishes (as does Nickel fret wire) so use some 0000 steel wool when needed to make em shine again.

i use 0.080" wire as it doesn't bend and buckle when i manipulate it for my bound fingerboards

Top Bottom