UPS - what a tease

Phuufme

Reaction score
So, my Pono Pro-Classic ATSHC Cedar/Acacia Slothead Tenor Cutaway was set up and sent by Mim of Mim's Ukes on Monday. I have been diligently following the UPS travels since then with the projected delivery date to be Friday Oct 24.

All of a sudden Thursday morning the delivery date was changed to Thursday Oct 23. Delight!!!

But UPS said the uke was still in Ft. Worth (FYI, I am in San Antonio and Ft Worth is 300 miles north of here).

But, I thought, UPS knows when its packages will be delivered. I waited all day with anticipation. No, they don't know. Late after 5pm, they changed the delivery date back to Friday.

The good news is that I hope to get it today.

Stay calm, it will get there! I really like being able to actually track my arriving packages online. It gives me great confidence in UPS that they allow us to look over their shoulders, so to speak, like that. I simply won't use USPS anymore unless I absolutely have to. Give us a report on the Uke after you've played it a few days!

Those trackers can be nasty demons. Hope it arrives soon and please post pick when you have time

Stay calm, it will get there! I really like being able to actually track my arriving packages online. It gives me great confidence in UPS that they allow us to look over their shoulders, so to speak, like that. I simply won't use USPS anymore unless I absolutely have to. Give us a report on the Uke after you've played it a few days!

Yes well I am going out of town for a week starting Sunday. I will probably take my Cordoba 20TM uke with me since this one needs electronics and I am planning to drop it off at my luthier's place Saturday afternoon before our gig. So, 1 day of playing it will have to suffice until next weekend.

Expecting UPS to nail their delivery schedule a little like expecting everyone you meet on the road today to come to a complete stop at stop signs, obey the speed limit, follow at a safe distance, etc. etc. etc. LOL

Keep Calm, and Uke on! Have fun when it arrives!

Is it here yet? :)

1. Contact your local UPS warehouse and have them check the tracking slip. You can do this online as well; but put your local UPS on notice. My wife has a craft business and runs into these difficulties frequently; whether its UPS, FedEx, or GOD. Sometimes the package gets loaded onto the wrong truck. The tracking slip might well indicate Baton Rouge or Denver!
2. Contact Mim and have her investigate from her end. She probably has the same experience as my wife.
3. If your delivery is more than two weeks overdue contact Mim again and get the insurance angle initiated.

A note about USPS: If your package is 2 lbs. or less, and not a crazy shape USPS is your cheapest/best shipper. Otherwise go with one of the commercial carriers.

I track all my packages, most times UPS is on time. Yesterday UPS tracking showed my package on the truck. At about 7:00 PM I was on the phone with my brother saying it looks like UPS missed it, but that moment the door bell rang and there was my package.

The Post Office Tracking is screwy, sometimes it's accurate, but I've had it show delivery made with notification and no such thing happened. I always figure a day later than what the Post Office tracking says. Right now it's shows my next package is out for delivery, we'll see.

For what it's worth, UPS (ticker: UPS) reported better than expected earnings today, and the stock is a stellar buy now with forward PE 18.7 (although slightly rich, still fab compared to 23 for the delivery sector, and 21 for the S&P 500); buy now before a traditionally strong holiday season, and this year's low petroleum prices will increase revenues for the sector substantially compared to years past. Substantially. As a bonus, ownership will grab some of UPS's 2.65% dividend--the savvy will purchases here and dump after the upcoming stellar springtime earnings--a slam-dunk ten percent gain. (This is my analysis, not that of Cramer, Gabelli, Cohen, Schwab, or any of those other guys that don't know how to pick equities:rolleyes:) No stockbrokers were harmed in the making of this analysis).

I realize that doesn't get your uke to the door any faster though, Phuufme.:(

Last edited:
Well its here. Delivered to my work. I will post pictures on a new thread sometime tonight. But, it is absolutely gorgeous. And the sound is mellow and projects very well. In fact, I strummed a few chords and someone whose office is 8 offices away from mine walked down and told me he heard it.

;)

Next up - I will have it for a day then to drop it off at my luthier's place of business (Guitar Tex - we use them a lot, and yes they do sell and repair ukuleles) to install a pickup. Probably going with the LR Baggs Five.O

Well its here. Delivered to my work.
;)

Next up - I will have it for a day then to drop it off at my luthier's place of business (Guitar Tex - we use them a lot, and yes they do sell and repair ukuleles) to install a pickup. Probably going with the LR Baggs Five.O

See, I'm telling you: UPS. lol

If it was my uke--and it is not--I would play it for 4 or more weeks before I'd modify it in any way, especially bridge-work and drilling for pickups. I'd let it acclimate to my humidity, my playing, and see if it develops any peculiarities, buzzes, or other warranty issues before clouding the entire thing with add-ons. Mim will help you, regardless, but it gets dicey as to buzzes, etc. once a pickup is installed--is it the pickup or the uke that is the issue, if there is an issue.

For instance, if there's a problem detected after a couple weeks of playing, and Mim says, "Send it back...it shouldn't be like that, I'll swap it out for you." Doh! I have a pickup installed!

The Baggs is great, no question.

Last edited:
See, I'm telling you: UPS. lol

If it was my uke--and it is not--I would play it for 2-4 weeks before I'd modify it in any way, especially bridge-work and drilling for pickups. I'd let it acclimate to my humidity, my playing, and see if it develops any peculiarities, buzzes, or other warranty issues before clouding the entire thing with add-ons. Mim will help you, regardless, but it gets dicey as to buzzes, etc. once a pickup is installed--is it the pickup or the uke that is the issue, if there is an issue.

The Baggs is great, no question.

Thanks coolkayaker for this tidbit, something to think about for sure.

Next big question - What strings to use?!?!?!?!

Right, first I need to figure out what strings come on it. It didn't say in the uke, but it has a wound C string. The other strings are yellow.

The chords I strummed here in the office sounded great, so right now I see no need to change.

Last edited:
those times are just estimates. i have had NO problems with usps and it has been faster that brown and items appear better than fedex. from my experience it's usps-5, ups-2.5 and fedex a joke.
i've tracked through fedex, plplphh, ups and usps and they can all be off, the times are estimates.

i find the torture unbearable and swear off checking several times per day watching the westward progress of my package, only to Alt-D, ups+Ctl Enter....put in a few tracking #'s and see where it's gone in the past 2hrs....
the worst is watching two separate orders coming from separate sides of the continent, and needing one to arrive first, and enduring the agonizing shipping race that is.
try shipping int'l with no tracking and estimates are in weeks not days LOL!!!

congrats and looking good!

those times are just estimates...i find the torture unbearable and swear off checking several times per day watching the westward progress of my package, only to Alt-D, ups+Ctl Enter....put in a few tracking #'s and see where it's gone in the past 2hrs....
the worst is watching two separate orders coming from separate sides of the continent, and needing one to arrive first, and enduring the agonizing shipping race that is.
try shipping int'l with no tracking and estimates are in weeks not days LOL!!!
This sounds like something from "The Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" but in the main it is true.

Top Bottom