Crack in soundboard at bookends

IamNoMan

Reaction score
I was out shopping for a Koa top uke. My ear told me a $250 uke was what I was looking for. I found three ukes that fit the bill. The prettiest one was a Cordoba 25CK. There was a problem there was what appeared to be a surface crack at the bookend joint. It runs the length of the lower bout to the soundhole. It might be that there is a crack in the upper bout as well but this wasn't evident. The crack was not ugly and led me to suspect it might have been a bad join The uke was in tune, but I didn't play it. It was offered at a thirty dollar discount.

I talked to a non-uke luthier about this. He thought it sounded like a bad glue join that could be easily repaired. I suggested hot hide glue. Iindicated that Elmers yellow wood glue would work. At the end of the conversation he suggested I might offer the store $100 for the uke.

I will probably buy a $250 Lanakai or Luna but the Cordoba was very pretty. I can afford to buy a uke and offer the $100 for the Cordoba. Maybe parley the cost of the cost of the package down as well.

1. Should I even consider doing this?
2. If the crack is as advertised how many hours labor would a competent luthier require to repair the uke?
3. If I chose to do the repairs myself what are your recommendations? I do have the clamps but little else.
4. If I were to offer a blemished $250 uke for sale what is a reasonable mark-down.

I look forward to your comments.

You should not even consider a new ukulele that is falling apart. That sounds like a very difficult fix depending on what you call repaired.

Last edited:
Like Micheal said. Very difficult repair.

If it's on the existing book match then there will be glue in that joint. Very highly unlikely that it would be HHG in a factory instrument. So for a good lasting repair, that glue needs to be cleaned out.

Top Bottom