Fs: Eckhaus-martin ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

billypete

Reaction score
Bought thins at the beginning of the year here on UU. It has been alledged to be an early 30's Martin 0 soprano with bar frets, violin peg tuners. Refurbished by master luthier Joel Eckhaus in 2010: Replaced the damaged original top with the spruce, added tort binding, repaired a couple back cracks. Well used, strong tone, easy action. I have acquired a 20's era Martin. Comes with nylon gig bag. $350 + ship CONUS
Many questions regarding dating. I am no expert and took the prior owner at his word.
I withdraw any assertion about it's age but here are some empirical facts:
No head stamp, decal only.
steel bar frets, not t frets.
stamp on inner back: Nazareth (no made in USA)
inside top signed 12/2009 Joel Eckhaus. // bar bracing.
Video on Vimeo.

Original Posting
EkhausMartin01.jpg
EkhausMartin12.jpg
EkhausMartin06.jpg
EkhausMartin05.jpg

Last edited:
Bought thins at the beginning of the year here on UU. It's an early 30's Martin 0 soprano with bar frets, violin peg tuners. Refurbished by master luthier Joel Eckhaus in 2010: Replaced the damaged original top with the spruce, added tort binding, repaired a couple back cracks. Well used, strong tone, easy action. I have acquired a 20's era Martin. Comes with nylon gig bag. $350 + ship CONUS
Original Posting
View attachment 72176
View attachment 72177
View attachment 72178
View attachment 72179
Are you sure its that old? I thought they put the logo on the front head stock after the 1940's?

Are you sure its that old? I thought they put the logo on the front head stock after the 1940's?

I think they put the decal on in '34 and went to T frets in '35, so, it's like mine and those features (decal and bar frets)
seem to pinpoint it as a '34.

I think they put the decal on in '34 and went to T frets in '35, so, it's like mine and those features (decal and bar frets)
seem to pinpoint it as a '34.

Coll! Thank you for that info.

Saw it on the Fleamarket without a head shot. Decal, wooden pegs, and (perhaps) steel bar frets would make it a rescued war baby. See if a good refrigerator magnet will grab. If so I'm interested.

Saw it on the Fleamarket without a head shot. Decal, wooden pegs, and (perhaps) steel bar frets would make it a rescued war baby. See if a good refrigerator magnet will grab. If so I'm interested.

Many questions regarding dating. I am no expert and took the prior owner at his word.

I'll work on the video.

I'll work on the video.

Prior owner here.. I bought it direct from Joel.. He gave me his best guess as to the era of the unit, which I passed along. As with dating anything with no..er..date..(other than Joel's date on the replaced top) all that remains is empirical evidence. A sweet uke that's been loved a lot, and capable of much more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom