PDA

View Full Version : left to right

neil stait
10-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Been 'playing' uke for about 4 months but only have time for one social pub event once a week. I am the only person who plays left handed and find it difficult to learn as all around me find it difficult to teach me. I am actually right handed , I write right handed I kick a football right footed but I pick up a uke left handed. I am seriously thinking of changing to right handed as I think it may be easier to be taught but I would appreciate all your views.

The Big Kahuna
10-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Been 'playing' uke for about 4 months but only have time for one social pub event once a week. I am the only person who plays left handed and find it difficult to learn as all around me find it difficult to teach me. I am actually right handed , I write right handed I kick a football right footed but I pick up a uke left handed. I am seriously thinking of changing to right handed as I think it may be easier to be taught but I would appreciate all your views.

If you're right handed, you should be playing the instrument right handed as well. There's no good reason, and several bad ones, for playing the way you do.

philrab66
10-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Hi Neil
I am left but play right, it is a lot more practical to learn right handed especially when you go into a store to look or try others.

TheBathBird
10-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Have you tried playing right handed? Does it feel very awkward? I'm left handed in absolutely everything but play ukulele right handed, it just feels more natural (luckily!), and definitely makes it easier to learn. There are obviously plenty of people who do play successfully left handed, but if you're naturally right handed and you think you could swap it would make the learning process a lot more straight forward.

PhilUSAFRet
10-26-2014, 01:42 AM
The fact that it's awkward for you is reason enough to switch. Just be patient and practice. It will come to you, especially if you play in a group. Perhaps a friend can have some one-on-one practice sessions with you when you first switch to "speed things up" so to speak. Sure will make buying a new uke a lot easier too.

Doug W
10-26-2014, 06:12 AM
I don't know. I grew up playing hockey, I am right handed and held the hockey stick right handed. Many other right handed players held the hockey stick left handed and they hand no problems doing that. Possibly over time, your brain will just take in what you are seeing and translate it correctly like learning a new language.

I have no scientific reason for saying you should go right or left. Maybe your brain led you there. I have no idea, just like I had no idea why those right handed hockey guys played left.

Perhaps the message here is that you are supposed to be playing hockey instead of a strange little musical instrument.

Ukejenny
10-26-2014, 06:25 AM
It is worth a try. If you absolutely revolt to right handed playing, then you'll know to keep plugging away left handed. My husband is left handed and he plays right handed. He did that so we can all share ukuleles and he won't have to have special lefties.

Redeyejedi
10-26-2014, 07:55 AM
i write lefty, goofy foot stance, kick left, bat both, golf/hockey righty, and strum the uke with the right.
it felt way bizarre holding it in my right hand.
i would switch it up before too much muscle memory sets in. i think in a few days, you'll be fine and your hands will relearn their respective tasks.

IamNoMan
10-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Hey Neil, I am an ambidextrous southpaw, I play musical instruments right-handed. The best reason to play right-handed is so other musicians can help you.The brainside function will have some effect but since you will be switching to the dominant side brain function after having exercised the other side brain functions this should aid you in switching to right hand. You may however see some difficulties with rhythm? You know some chords and have developed some right handed muscle memory in four months. Call this a wash. Maybe a little advantage to switching.You will have to undergo trial by callus torture. My analysis of the above suggest switching to right hand.

There is one other consideration. How much neurological damage, arthritis, range of motion, etc damage do you have in each hand? If you have these types of issues in your right hand don't switch. If you have these issues in your left hand definitely switch. Otherwise it is your choice.

I am lefthanded with lots of these issues in the left hand. I would love to switch to left hand play. My problems with this are my stable of right-handed instruments is significant. I am not certain I wish to make the financial commitment to obtain all left-handed instruments. If you do decide to switch and your instruments are left-handed, (not upside down and backwards right-handed instruments), PM me. We might be able to do some horsetrading.

neil stait
10-27-2014, 01:16 AM
To play right handed to me feels very uncomfortable as I do not feel I have the movement in my left handed on the fret board. Using my right hand on the fretboard and strumming with my left hand feels more natural. I just feel I have more flexibility in my right

I have two left handed properly stringed Uke's at the moment and a right handed banjo

I would love a electric uke the electric guitar looking ones but they appear to all be left handed