My dog can't stand the sound of my ukulele.

mariegan7

Reaction score
I just started playing the ukulele this past June. When I start to play, my dog begins to sigh a lot and sometimes she leaves the room immediately. Do any of your dogs respond the same way? I keep my uke in tune and don't think my playing is too terrible for a beginner.

I had the exact same experience when I started less than a year ago. I've noticed my dog has not been leaving the room lately so I figure I must be improving!

Maybe the dog is just sighing because he/she knows once you pick up that Ukulele thing there's no hands left for patting? Pretty canny these canines if mine is anything to go by.

Fun thread! :D

I once tried playing for my dog, she didn't seem to like it. I wonder why, she loves me reading books to her. :)

I'll try again today...maybe she likes Low G!

We have one cat that hates ukulele sounds (even when it's not me playing; only live playing) and another one who loves it when someone starts playing the recorder (even when played very badly). She starts purring, rubbing and even drools. I'm thinking about a talent TV show with a cat jury now.

On a more scientific note, it only works with live music for both cats - recorded music doesn't do the trick. Something in the overtones, but still a clear personal preference as well...

Our dog doesn't seem to mind the ukulele too much, but she used to howl like crazy when my daughter played the cello.

My son was about 6 months old at the time, and the dog basically taught him to howl too. So when my daughter practised I had to shut the baby and the dog in the kitchen, where the two of them would just sit there howling like wolves.

God knows why I keep missing out on that mother of the year award...

My one cat will sometimes bite at the strings while I'm playing but I think that is the vibration of the string that is interesting or just a hint for petting. The dog doesn't seem to mind ukulele or guitar but he does howl with the harmonica.

Maybe the dog is just sighing because he/she knows once you pick up that Ukulele thing there's no hands left for patting? Pretty canny these canines if mine is anything to go by.

Yep, mine sigh sometimes when I sit with them but don't have a free hand for a cuddle: I have forced them to be more enthusiastic by teaching them to sing along for a treat reward. My Parson Russell terrier now races into the room and joins in on the chorus every time she hears "her" song "Hey There Delilah" whether I'm playing live or she can hear a recording :D You do have to appreciate the voice of your pup to take this option, though! The parson russell also enjoys watching and listening to Jake Shimabukuro online, and I also have ponies btw (& one of those is a big ukulele fan).

Bet you all wish you lived here now ;)

Don't feel bad. Anytime I walk into the room with my uke, my dog does this...

attachment.php

image.jpg

Awesome! :D My dog just leaves the room..

Does your dog stay that way or is it just the initial reaction?

Usually, the more I play the further he burrows in.

I played for an hour once with him there. I looked over and all I saw was his hind quarters. :smileybounce:

It took two years until my dog didn't leave the room. Either my playing got better or she got fatter, lazier and more deaf.

Our dog doesn't seem to mind the ukulele too much, but she used to howl like crazy when my daughter played the cello.

My son was about 6 months old at the time, and the dog basically taught him to howl too. So when my daughter practised I had to shut the baby and the dog in the kitchen, where the two of them would just sit there howling like wolves.

God knows why I keep missing out on that mother of the year award...
Thank you bathbird. I love to start the day with a good laugh.

Maybe the problems with the dogs is not your playing, but your tuning. Dogs more acute hearing than people. If your tuning is off just a little, perhaps you can't hear it but the dog can.

...I'm thinking about a talent TV show with a cat jury now.

On a more scientific note, it only works with live music for both cats - recorded music doesn't do the trick. Something in the overtones, but still a clear personal preference as well...
This simply isn't true. When we used to watch TV, our cats would hear bird song on the television. As long as it lasted the cat(s) would be glued to the tube in rapt attention.

Does your dog have fleas? If not, that may be the problem.

My dogs don't mind playing the uke, but one must hate football, he goes out side as soon as the game starts. My old dog used to howl during the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy For The Devil, when they were doing the wooo wooo part...took me a few times to figure out it was the song! ;-D

When I start to play, my dog begins to sigh a lot and sometimes she leaves the room immediately. . . . I keep my uke in tune and don't think my playing is too terrible for a beginner.

Maybe you should take some lessons from Aldrine Grrrrrrrrruero.

Love it!!!! My dog is just plain moody - sometimes he stays, sometimes he goes. Either way, I will keep playing. Ukulele keeps me sane.

Top Bottom