PDA

View Full Version : My dog can't stand the sound of my ukulele.

mariegan7
10-26-2014, 06:19 PM
I just started playing the ukulele this past June. When I start to play, my dog begins to sigh a lot and sometimes she leaves the room immediately. Do any of your dogs respond the same way? I keep my uke in tune and don't think my playing is too terrible for a beginner.

vrgard
10-26-2014, 07:21 PM
I had the exact same experience when I started less than a year ago. I've noticed my dog has not been leaving the room lately so I figure I must be improving!

KaraUkey
10-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Maybe the dog is just sighing because he/she knows once you pick up that Ukulele thing there's no hands left for patting? Pretty canny these canines if mine is anything to go by.

g'est
10-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Fun thread! :D

I once tried playing for my dog, she didn't seem to like it. I wonder why, she loves me reading books to her. :)

I'll try again today...maybe she likes Low G!

ukulelekarcsi
10-26-2014, 09:55 PM
We have one cat that hates ukulele sounds (even when it's not me playing; only live playing) and another one who loves it when someone starts playing the recorder (even when played very badly). She starts purring, rubbing and even drools. I'm thinking about a talent TV show with a cat jury now.

On a more scientific note, it only works with live music for both cats - recorded music doesn't do the trick. Something in the overtones, but still a clear personal preference as well...

TheBathBird
10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Our dog doesn't seem to mind the ukulele too much, but she used to howl like crazy when my daughter played the cello.

My son was about 6 months old at the time, and the dog basically taught him to howl too. So when my daughter practised I had to shut the baby and the dog in the kitchen, where the two of them would just sit there howling like wolves.

God knows why I keep missing out on that mother of the year award...

MountainUker
10-26-2014, 11:11 PM
My one cat will sometimes bite at the strings while I'm playing but I think that is the vibration of the string that is interesting or just a hint for petting. The dog doesn't seem to mind ukulele or guitar but he does howl with the harmonica.

wayward
10-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Maybe the dog is just sighing because he/she knows once you pick up that Ukulele thing there's no hands left for patting? Pretty canny these canines if mine is anything to go by.

Yep, mine sigh sometimes when I sit with them but don't have a free hand for a cuddle: I have forced them to be more enthusiastic by teaching them to sing along for a treat reward. My Parson Russell terrier now races into the room and joins in on the chorus every time she hears "her" song "Hey There Delilah" whether I'm playing live or she can hear a recording :D You do have to appreciate the voice of your pup to take this option, though! The parson russell also enjoys watching and listening to Jake Shimabukuro online, and I also have ponies btw (& one of those is a big ukulele fan).

Bet you all wish you lived here now ;)

consitter
10-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Don't feel bad. Anytime I walk into the room with my uke, my dog does this...

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72224&d=1414402184

g'est
10-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Ok, this is now officially my favorite thread of the day! :D

consitter
10-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Ok, this is now officially my favorite thread of the day! :D

And yes, that is actually a pic of MY dog. :)

g'est
10-27-2014, 12:45 AM
And yes, that is actually a pic of MY dog. :)

Awesome! :D My dog just leaves the room..

Does your dog stay that way or is it just the initial reaction?

consitter
10-27-2014, 12:54 AM
Awesome! :D My dog just leaves the room..

Does your dog stay that way or is it just the initial reaction?

Usually, the more I play the further he burrows in.

I played for an hour once with him there. I looked over and all I saw was his hind quarters. :smileybounce:

WhenDogsSing
10-27-2014, 01:44 AM
This is how I got my name...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing

I can't play anything without Harley, and sometimes Brattie, join right in...!!!

vanflynn
10-27-2014, 03:07 AM
It took two years until my dog didn't leave the room. Either my playing got better or she got fatter, lazier and more deaf.

IamNoMan
10-27-2014, 03:22 AM
Our dog doesn't seem to mind the ukulele too much, but she used to howl like crazy when my daughter played the cello.

My son was about 6 months old at the time, and the dog basically taught him to howl too. So when my daughter practised I had to shut the baby and the dog in the kitchen, where the two of them would just sit there howling like wolves.

God knows why I keep missing out on that mother of the year award...Thank you bathbird. I love to start the day with a good laugh.

Maybe the problems with the dogs is not your playing, but your tuning. Dogs more acute hearing than people. If your tuning is off just a little, perhaps you can't hear it but the dog can.

...I'm thinking about a talent TV show with a cat jury now.

On a more scientific note, it only works with live music for both cats - recorded music doesn't do the trick. Something in the overtones, but still a clear personal preference as well...This simply isn't true. When we used to watch TV, our cats would hear bird song on the television. As long as it lasted the cat(s) would be glued to the tube in rapt attention.

stevepetergal
10-27-2014, 03:45 AM
Does your dog have fleas? If not, that may be the problem.

UkerDanno
10-27-2014, 03:51 AM
My dogs don't mind playing the uke, but one must hate football, he goes out side as soon as the game starts. My old dog used to howl during the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy For The Devil, when they were doing the wooo wooo part...took me a few times to figure out it was the song! ;-D

DaveY
10-27-2014, 03:58 AM
When I start to play, my dog begins to sigh a lot and sometimes she leaves the room immediately. . . . I keep my uke in tune and don't think my playing is too terrible for a beginner.

Maybe you should take some lessons from Aldrine Grrrrrrrrruero.

Ukejenny
10-27-2014, 04:20 AM
Love it!!!! My dog is just plain moody - sometimes he stays, sometimes he goes. Either way, I will keep playing. Ukulele keeps me sane.

nkatsonis
10-27-2014, 04:31 AM
My dog jumps into my lap. I wish it would just sigh and leave the room.

sam13
10-27-2014, 04:34 AM
Is it the player's ability? The tuning? Or time to get a new dog? :confused:

PereBourik
10-27-2014, 05:27 AM
My dog doesn't seem to care, but he's old and losing his hearing.

mariegan7
10-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Woke up this morning and was glad to see all the funny posts. Good way to start the day!

katysax
10-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Once I had a shy dog who did not like noise of any kind - she would leave the room for the uke but also for the TV. The two dogs I have now sit by me when I play the uke, but then they sit by me no matter what I do. They have eaten two of my electronic tuners though and have tried to gnaw on some case handles. I try not to leave them alone with the ukes out of the cases because I'm sure they'd try to eat those too. They like to eat wood and are always bringing sticks in the house. They've also gnawed some of the wooden gates and eaten the wooden frame of the couch in their room.

Redeyejedi
10-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Does your dog have fleas? If not, that may be the problem.

I see what you did there. :D

I just started playing not too long ago and Leia used to leave the room when I grabbed ukulele. Chuey my other pooch has no problem with me playing....he actually chills cause he knows ukulele playing means snacks surely.

great thread, I'm here thinking my dog hates my playing and just tolerates it now, as she doesn't take off when I break out betsie.

KaraUkey
10-27-2014, 01:43 PM
My dogs don't mind playing the uke, but one must hate football, he goes out side as soon as the game starts. My old dog used to howl during the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy For The Devil, when they were doing the wooo wooo part...took me a few times to figure out it was the song! ;-D
Yep. My dog heads for the hills when the football starts, something to do with the hooping and hollering when my team scores I think. Not sure he always shares my opinion of the Ref either.

KaraUkey
10-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Once I had a shy dog who did not like noise of any kind - she would leave the room for the uke but also for the TV. The two dogs I have now sit by me when I play the uke, but then they sit by me no matter what I do. They have eaten two of my electronic tuners though and have tried to gnaw on some case handles. I try not to leave them alone with the ukes out of the cases because I'm sure they'd try to eat those too. They like to eat wood and are always bringing sticks in the house. They've also gnawed some of the wooden gates and eaten the wooden frame of the couch in their room.
Are we talking about dogs here or termites? Lol

PeteyHoudini
10-27-2014, 01:47 PM
When I was a teenager, we just to practice our band in my friend's basement (just bass, drums and a clean guitar sound). His family's three poodles hated it. My family's cat though liked my acoustic guitar playing, especially minor chords. I just spent last week at my friend's house and I had brought my Martin 2K tenor. Her cat "Bamboo" loved the sound of the uke. Though, Bamboo been used to my ukulele playing for quite some time. hehe

Petey

KaraUkey
10-27-2014, 01:48 PM

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72224&d=1414402184

I love this. I can just hear him saying "Oh shucks, not this again"

Ramart
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
...and sometimes she leaves the room immediately...

That bitch is just like my wife.

Debby
10-27-2014, 02:37 PM
This thread has made my day! So funny! My dog, Biscuit, does not seem to mind the uke. He howls when we play piano. I am not sure if it's because he hates or loves it. I think he hates it because of his body language. He looks nervous when we play piano. He's a sweet dog and it makes me feel bad.

I think instruments must seem really loud since they hear better than we can. They probably feel the vibrations moreso than we do.

Maybe my dog is just really quirky. After all, he does handstands when he pees (or front paw stands lol).

IamNoMan
10-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Are we talking about dogs here or termites? LolMy sister's Great Pyrenees chewed a hole through her solid core front door, five foot above the floor. I wondered where the draft was coming from.

Chopped Liver
10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

:D So funny!

Chopped Liver
10-27-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh my gosh! Your dogs play the uke?! How cool!! :p

Chopped Liver
10-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Ellie (my avi) hates it when I play my Native American flutes or penny whistles. She fusses and leaves the room. If she isn't in the room, she comes in, fusses, and leaves the room again!

She doesn't seem to mind my playing the uke. Just stays on the bed and ignores me. However, she is old and losing her hearing. Maybe I should see if I can get by with playing a flute again . . .

kwall
10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
My dog, Murphy, she was first like what is this contraption? and was confused, never barked but was confused. Then I just sang her name while playing or changing the lyrics to songs she now wags her tail to it.... I think she just likes attention (as all dogs do).

... Sorry for the weird I sing to my dog stuff, but hey animal lovers will understand what I am saying

KaraUkey
10-27-2014, 03:53 PM
This thread has made my day! So funny! My dog, Biscuit, does not seem to mind the uke. He howls when we play piano. I am not sure if it's because he hates or loves it. I think he hates it because of his body language. He looks nervous when we play piano. He's a sweet dog and it makes me feel bad.

I think instruments must seem really loud since they hear better than we can. They probably feel the vibrations moreso than we do.

Maybe my dog is just really quirky. After all, he does handstands when he pees (or front paw stands lol).
When we first got our dog we called him Biscuit. When my grandson came to visit he said "Biscuit?" I said "yes, as in Cookie". So that was that, he's been called Cookie ever since. Although I have heard my grandson explain "His name is Biscuit, but his friends call him Cookie"

itsme
10-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Do you sing when you play? Maybe your dog just doesn't like your singing. Just saying. :o

Debby
10-27-2014, 04:38 PM
When we first got our dog we called him Biscuit. When my grandson came to visit he said "Biscuit?" I said "yes, as in Cookie". So that was that, he's been called Cookie ever since. Although I have heard my grandson explain "His name is Biscuit, but his friends call him Cookie"

Very nice!

Icelander53
10-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Both my dogs love to come around when I play. They totally dig on it.

Rick Turner
10-28-2014, 08:15 PM
When your dog dies its (hopefully) natural death, have his belly skin turned into the head of a banjo ukulele. Your dulcet tones will be his screams...

(aside...cat belly hide is highly prized for Japanese samisen heads...).

Rick Turner
10-28-2014, 08:21 PM
And if you thought I was jivin' you...from WikiPedia:

"Student shamisen often use dog skin, and sometimes plastic, as they are cheaper to replace, and more durable. The shamisen of professional players are often taut in cat skin, as it is more delicate and expensive. It is said that the best sound quality is produced from a shamisen bound in cat skin. In the past a special type of paper was used and recently various types of plastics are being tried. On the skin of some of the best shamisen, the position of the cat's nipples can still be seen.[2]"

Sorry, but the truth be told...

IamNoMan
10-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Cut gut is a traditional use for fine strings. Cat mummies have been found guarding the Pharoahs' tombs. All the innards, man or beast were removed in the mummification process and gut strung lyres have been found in these tombs as well. If I were to try this at home though I suspect my dulcet screams would be inflicted by my wife.

Rick Turner
10-28-2014, 08:37 PM
No, cat gut was NOT used for violin strings. That was a piece of dis-information deliberately promulgated by the Italian string makers in the 17th and 18th centuries to discourage competition. This info came do me directly from Richard Cocco, owner of La Bella, whose family records as string makers go back that far. The violin was thought of as the Devil's instrument, and cats were thought of as the Devil's familiars in those days. One of the reasons why the Black Plague (Justinian's Plague...look it up) spread so deeply was because cats were often killed upon sight, yet it was cats who could control the rat population and thus the plague bearing flea population.

In fact, many of the Italian named contemporary string companies can trace their lineage to a particular region of the Italian Alps where conditions were extremely favorable for sheep who grew well fed and developed even and well formed...guts.

All of the above quite true...

IamNoMan
10-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Catgut has been used since biblical times for all manner of stringed instruments. Catgut refers to strings made from processed, twisted animal intestines. More often then not sheepsgut or Cattlegut are and have been used for instrument strings for Millennia. Biblical references abound. The oldest historical reference I am aware of is in Josephus in the first century C.E. Some Philologist Blokes suggest that catgut = kitgut = kitstring = fiddlestring. Catgut has another significant position in the Luthiers trade. The first fretted instruments such as the viola da gamba c15 century and the English cittern had frets made of tied catgut. The manifests of the Jamestown colony in 1603 contain listing for a cittern and dulcimer. In the Appalachian region, where I live farmers and hunters still use every part of the animals they harvest and wildcat and bobcat hides are prized as banjo heads. A friend told me of a taxidermist in the area who would process kittycat intestines into strings in the 1930s. This may be an urban legend however.

Rick with all due respect to you and your colleague Sr Cocco propaganda of the 17th and 18th century Italian luthiers to promote their business at the expense of their Northern European competitors, (kitgut and kitstring are Germanic words), is just as apocryphal as the Appalachian taxidermist.

I have seen Egyptian lyres in pictures but who knows for sure.
All of the above quite true...
Hey Rick check out the reason for my edit in my last post. If there is any doubt that I am a storyteller; you should know that post is what you call a "Shaggy Dog Story".

MarkAJohn
10-28-2014, 10:44 PM
When I took fiddle lessons, our late, lamented toy poodle used to sing along. And that dog was the worst singer on God's green earth, bless his tiny soul.